2019 Pittsburgh Steelers

Exactly. Not even relevant. Was all the criticism of Hue racist? I understand any little dig at Steeler fans. :rolleyes:

Hue was jus plain terrible so he had that coming to him!

Were there any Clown fans who didn't like Hue when he was hired because he was black? Likely.

In bringing up ODonnel.........Remember when he left for 25 million for 5 years I think it was and that was just too rich to pay for a starting QB?
How times have changed!

Diff game back then. Running was still at a premium and we had Barry and the defense.............WOW.

When they started 3-4 that season we all thought the season was lost, and then they went wide open. Not many teams went 5 wide back then and it really took a lot of teams by surprise!

Exactly. Not even relevant. Was all the criticism of Hue racist? I understand any little dig at Steeler fans. :rolleyes:

Seriously? If I had a nickel for every time I hear "Tomlin" and "token hire" in the same sentence by Steeler fans, I could retire.

Nobody cares in Cleveland if Hue was purple if he brought them a winner. Fact of the matter was that he flat out sucked as a coach. MT is nowhere near as bad as Hue.

Seriously? If I had a nickel for every time I hear "Tomlin" and "token hire" in the same sentence by Steeler fans, I could retire.

Nobody cares in Cleveland if Hue was purple if he brought them a winner. Fact of the matter was that he flat out sucked as a coach. MT is nowhere near as bad as Hue.

I think we were all surprised when MT got the job. It was thought to be between Grimm and Whiz and he came out of nowhere.

Would they have had the success with either of those two? who knows. I do know at the time many didn't like it and said some things that would make them ineligible to serve office for the next 40 years...

I think we were all surprised when MT got the job. It was thought to be between Grimm and Whiz and he came out of nowhere.

Would they have had the success with either of those two? who knows. I do know at the time many didn't like it and said some things that would make them ineligible to serve office for the next 40 years...

I know he came out of nowhere. Apparently he "wowed" them in his interview.

I'm not even talking about the comments when MT was hired. I still hear racist-type comments because MT hasn't brought them multiple SB rings. Often hear "shoulda kept Cowher." I don't think MT is a "great" coach but Chuck Noll's (and his roster) don't just grow on trees.

i'm kind of "in-between" at this point on Tomlin. if people want to criticize that he hasn't won as much as he should with the talent he's had, then that's fair. however, when has he had all 3 - Ben, Brown, and Bell - all healthy and playing at 100% in the playoffs? i think NEVER. also, MT didn't have the defenses that Cowher had (early on in his career they were good) and the league rules have evolved in the last 10 years to where there really isn't a DOMINANT defense in the league anymore. is the decline of the Steelers solely on MT? no. he's not the "end all be all" decision maker when it comes to drafting guys. not sure why they can't get a DB that's semi-decent and then make him better but the lack of pass rushers and Shazier's injury really hurt this defense for the last couple years. you can get by with slightly above average DB's/Safeties if your LB's and OLB's can put pressure on the QB and coupled with your DL can stop the run. Steelers D just hasn't had that in awhile. I think TJ will be great but we need another one. and we need a stud ILB because there's a probably a 1% chance that Shazier ever plays football again and even if he miraculously does, how good will he be?

either way, comparing MT and Hue doesn't even make sense.

is MT the sole blame of the Steelers "decline"? no. however, if the Steelers don't at least get back to the playoffs next season, the organization should seriously consider making a change.

They did lead the league in sacks in 2018, but I get your point they just don't seem to get the pressure as they used to.

Part of the reason is the nature of today's passing attack with the quicker throws. Even in our heyday the bugaboo was teams who predominately went to the quick passing attacks, and doing so earlier in the down/distance. Remember the Raiders and Pats in back to back weeks just don't even try to run the ball and dinked it all game to start the season? Loved it when teams tried to run on 1st and 2nd, then in third and long the pressure game.

Also....the 3-4 relies on scheming to sacks and you can only do so many "exotic" blitzes before QBs have seen everything. I still like the 3-4 because I like that extra flexibility of having one less slower DL on the field.

Plus, there is only so much $$ to go around. the offense has been getting it over the years.

It is what it is with fan bases. You have d!cks in every one of them. To bash MT because you think he's under performed is one think but the racial angle's pretty stupid. When Hue was the coach here I can't recall ever hearing a racial angle as to why he sucked but I'm sure there were some. It was mostly because a) he sucked and b) he was so arrogant/clueless to know that he actually sucked and pointed the finger at everyone else.

It is what it is with fan bases. You have d!cks in every one of them. To bash MT because you think he's under performed is one think but the racial angle's pretty stupid. When Hue was the coach here I can't recall ever hearing a racial angle as to why he sucked but I'm sure there were some. It was mostly because a) he sucked and b) he was so arrogant/clueless to know that he actually sucked and pointed the finger at everyone else.

Spot on. NEVER did I hear anyone vilify Jackson because of the hue of his skin, pardon the pun. It was his coaching and his character that revealed his true colors. Assigning blame and accepting credit when neither was warranted proved to be just as damning as some of his moronic coaching decisions.

Question for Steelers followers, in particular. Do you think the Rooney Rule limits the franchise's next coaching search when there is one?

absolutely not

I only ask because the Steelers, more than any other franchise, will be scrutinized perhaps a little more closely than others because it was the Rooneys who created the change in NFL interviewing practices, fair or not. I don't believe it will, either, because I honestly feel the franchise will treat it as more than window-dressing as some other franchises have done since the rule was implemented.

I only ask because the Steelers, more than any other franchise, will be scrutinized perhaps a little more closely than others because it was the Rooneys who created the change in NFL interviewing practices, fair or not. I don't believe it will, either, because I honestly feel the franchise will treat it as more than window-dressing as some other franchises have done since the rule was implemented.

Nah. It doesn't get as much attention anymore, plus they have had a black coach for a long time now......

the more stuff i see come out on AB, the more and more I realize that Ben had ZERO to do with all this drama.

I see dark days/years ahead for the Steelers. I said it.

Maybe.

They always recover pretty quickly, though. Our best hope is that they limp along with Ben-in-decline, a la Eli, until the wheels fall off the wagon. Rebuild a bit around him and play .500 ball, draft in the middle, stupid FA bandaids - that kind of stuff. Fingers crossed :D

AB must have some sort of mental disorder. My God, the guy is off his rocker.

JuJu should just lay low, take the high road and let his and the team play speak for themselves.

JuJu should just lay low, take the high road and let his and the team play speak for themselves.

No kidding. What in the world does going after JuJu one of the more popular young players in the NFL do for AB's cause? Something definitely not right with the guy.

I see dark days/years ahead for the Steelers. I said it.

If you mean by dark days going 8-8 or 7-9 for a year or two its possible. They will recover. I think how they perform this coming season will show a lot. If they draft well (and right now they have more picks then they've had in a long time) they will be fine. Three wholes to fill ILB, CB and perhaps a WR. They are in good shape otherwise.

If you mean by dark days going 8-8 or 7-9 for a year or two its possible. They will recover. I think how they perform this coming season will show a lot. If they draft well (and right now they have more picks then they've had in a long time) they will be fine. Three wholes to fill ILB, CB and perhaps a WR. They are in good shape otherwise.

Dark days are wallowing around .500 and getting swept by the browns.
I can see it happening often moving forward.

i saw Vegas odds on the over/under for wins is 9 for the Browns and 8.5 for the Steelers. I'd take the Over for both.

Have to give Shazier his "props." Never will play again but saw a recent video of him doing box jumps.

Amen. Every time he opens his damn mouth the Steelers look smarter. He criticizes JuJu when he essentially abandoned his team in week 17. What a fool.

Amen. Every time he opens his damn mouth the Steelers look smarter. He criticizes JuJu when he essentially abandoned his team in week 17. What a fool.

You hear this often, but they were talking this AM that they feel those in AB's camp are failing him by allowing him to do this.

They make it sound like he has a team of advisors like a politician may have to keep them down a certain path. Too many athletes are surrounded by yes men and enablers and are there for the free ride and they aren't going to do certain things that make their sugardaddy mad!

LOL...now Osama Bin Mendenhall claims, in a series of midnight tweets, that Roethlisberger's a racist.