2019 NFL Draft

Auggie

Now is probably as good a time to start talking draft with Kyler Murray saying he's fully committed to becoming an NFL quarterback: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/s...ay-says-fully-committed-being-nfl-quarterback

Some NFL folks are high on Murray and his potential in light of the new type of QB that is starting to emerge in the NFL where a super quick accurate release and the ability to move around in the pocket negates any height disadvantage. Pro Football Focus and their metric heavy formulas love this guy and some think he may even go before Dwayne Haskins come April. Nonetheless teams at the top of the draft that do not have a need at QB are loving the fact this guy is now in the draft and we may see a flurry of trades to move up to get the next Big 12 style NFL QB.

Scott Boras got used lol

Id take Josh Allen #1, dude is an athletic freak and was literally blatantly held on almost every play. The play thay sticks out most to me was during the A&M game where he dropped into coverage and deflected a pass in the endzone. Amazing

Now is probably as good a time to start talking draft with Kyler Murray saying he's fully committed to becoming an NFL quarterback: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/s...ay-says-fully-committed-being-nfl-quarterback

Some NFL folks are high on Murray and his potential in light of the new type of QB that is starting to emerge in the NFL where a super quick accurate release and the ability to move around in the pocket negates any height disadvantage. Pro Football Focus and their metric heavy formulas love this guy and some think he may even go before Dwayne Haskins come April. Nonetheless teams at the top of the draft that do not have a need at QB are loving the fact this guy is now in the draft and we may see a flurry of trades to move up to get the next Big 12 style NFL QB.

This is patently false. I can't wait to see if anyone is dumb enough to buy it, though. It is the narrative in some circles. This kid weighs quite bit less than Wilson when he does get hit, and is quite a bit shorter than Mayfield when looking for a throwing window.

The crazy thing is that if Murray doesn't like where he goes in the draft, he'll be an A. Can he sit a year and re-enter the MLB draft ?

This is patently false. I can't wait to see if anyone is dumb enough to buy it, though. It is the narrative in some circles. This kid weighs quite bit less than Wilson when he does get hit, and is quite a bit shorter than Mayfield when looking for a throwing window.

The crazy thing is that if Murray doesn't like where he goes in the draft, he'll be an A. Can he sit a year and re-enter the MLB draft ?

Pro football focus disagrees:https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-projecting-kyler-murrays-nfl-prospects

"When it comes to projecting Murray’s NFL Potential, we here at PFF see a game-changing player at the quarterback position that can keep plays alive and change the face of an NFL franchise. Senior analysts Steve Palazzolo and Zac Robinson discuss Kyler Murray’s pro potential in-depth above.

Looking at the numbers, Murray’s 2018 season jumps off the page: 42 touchdowns, 11.6 yards per attempt, 143.9 passer rating when clean and a 94.7 overall grade. He finished the season as highest-graded overall quarterback and the second highest-graded runner among quarterbacks with an 85.0 rushing grade. He posted a 143.9 passer rating while clean, narrowly edging out Tua Tagovailoa and tossed 36 touchdowns. He showed his touch on the deep pass as well, with a 51.9% adjusted completion percentage on deep attempts (20-plus yards). The Heisman Trophy winner shined in many facets on the field, but his highlight real came alive when he evaded pressure and escaped the pocket.

Murray had an adjusted completion percentage of 78.7% outside the pocket to go along with a 128.3 passer rating and an 8-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio with six big-time throws to only one turnover-worthy play. When forced to run, Murray was extremely efficient, managing 7.9 yards per attempt on the ground, with 37.7% of his total yards coming on scrambles (which led FBS quarterbacks). When plays broke down and he had to improvise, Murray was able to keep options alive and that is something that is a valued asset in the NFL with the pass-rush becoming a dominant factor in today’s game..."

Pro football focus disagrees:https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-projecting-kyler-murrays-nfl-prospects

"When it comes to projecting Murray’s NFL Potential, we here at PFF see a game-changing player at the quarterback position that can keep plays alive and change the face of an NFL franchise. Senior analysts Steve Palazzolo and Zac Robinson discuss Kyler Murray’s pro potential in-depth above.

Looking at the numbers, Murray’s 2018 season jumps off the page: 42 touchdowns, 11.6 yards per attempt, 143.9 passer rating when clean and a 94.7 overall grade. He finished the season as highest-graded overall quarterback and the second highest-graded runner among quarterbacks with an 85.0 rushing grade. He posted a 143.9 passer rating while clean, narrowly edging out Tua Tagovailoa and tossed 36 touchdowns. He showed his touch on the deep pass as well, with a 51.9% adjusted completion percentage on deep attempts (20-plus yards). The Heisman Trophy winner shined in many facets on the field, but his highlight real came alive when he evaded pressure and escaped the pocket.

Murray had an adjusted completion percentage of 78.7% outside the pocket to go along with a 128.3 passer rating and an 8-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio with six big-time throws to only one turnover-worthy play. When forced to run, Murray was extremely efficient, managing 7.9 yards per attempt on the ground, with 37.7% of his total yards coming on scrambles (which led FBS quarterbacks). When plays broke down and he had to improvise, Murray was able to keep options alive and that is something that is a valued asset in the NFL with the pass-rush becoming a dominant factor in today’s game..."

Everybody has a projection until they get punched in the face.

It's not a stat problem that Murray will have. Such stats-based projections won't "negate any height disadvantage".

Durability would be the issue with Murray. He's what 5'10" 195? He's a mid-sized CB playing QB. And he likes to run. It was a miracle Lamar Jackson didn't get hurt this year and he even has 15-20lbs on Murray.

With the NFL rules protecting the QB he's nearly as likely to get peeled in MLB.

I hope he goes somewhere before pick 17 so one more players gets pushed back to the Browns.

Last edited:
Durability would be the issue with Murray. He's what 5'10" 195? He's a mid-sized CB playing QB. And he likes to run. It was a miracle Lamar Jackson didn't get hurt this year and he even has 15-20lbs on Murray.

5'10 might be generous. Someone will take him early, but I am glad it is not my team.

5'10 might be generous. Someone will take him early, but I am glad it is not my team.

The guy with his arms folded is Kris Davis. There does not seem to be a significant perspective issue in this pic.

yomqg6axnq321.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/a5cocn/kris_davis_5_10_195_lbs_standing_beside_2018/

Such photos can be deceiving, but I'm saying one of these guys isn't 5'10 and 195#

Both claim to be.

This is all you need to know about Pro Football Focus:

Pro Football Focus gave Michigan senior QB Shea Patterson a higher 2018 grade than Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

:laugh:

Are you saying that there is more to football talent eval than trying to translate Big12 stats to NFL performance ? Don't tell Sashi Brown !

SI's pre-combine Big Board: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/13/d...e-haskins-kyler-murray-drew-lock-daniel-jones

Top 5 (All play along the DL):
1) Nick Bosa
2) Quinnen Williams
3) Josh Allen
4) Rashan Gary
5) Ed Oliver

Not sure I agree with 4 & 5, yeah their athleticism jumps of the page but the on field production doesn't match it.

Top QBs:
7) Dwayne Haskins
15) Kyler Murray
21) Drew Lock
30) Daniel Jones

I would suspect this changes a bit after the combine and the work out warriors move up the list.

This might be the year that picking in the middle of the draft is not so bad. Teams will chase the QB's way higher then they should and good talent should be on the board at 17.

There will be some "stupid" teams to trade up in the draft just to take a chance on some of these QBs. As a Dolphins fan I cringed when I saw a mock where they trade up to take Lock from Mizzou.

Honestly i wouldnt want anything to do with any of these qb sans Haskins.

Not sure I am even sold on him. It's a rough year for QBs. I don't see Haskins as any better than an eventual middle of the road guy. I liked Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen and Allen more than any of this group.

MMQB's first mock has 4 QBs in the top 15! Haskins to Giants at 6, Lock to Jags at 7, Murray to Miami at 13 (good thing they got a defensive HC) and Jones to the Redskins at 15.

Combine starts this week, much will start to change as the prospects get the microscope treatment.

By the way this is the way the depth of the position groups are being viewed prior to the combine:

1) Edge DL
2) Interior DL
3) TE
4) Interior OL
5) S
6) OT
7) OLB
8) ILB
9) CB
10) QB
11) WR
12) RB

Maybe this is why Dorsey signed Hunt and the Steelers are looking for a Kings ransom for AB?

Why do I feel like everyone on the Kyler Murray bandwagon is trying to "sell" him to us??

Combine starts this week, much will start to change as the prospects get the microscope treatment.

By the way this is the way the depth of the position groups are being viewed prior to the combine:

1) Edge DL
2) Interior DL
3) TE
4) Interior OL
5) S
6) OT
7) OLB
8) ILB
9) CB
10) QB
11) WR
12) RB

Maybe this is why Dorsey signed Hunt and the Steelers are looking for a Kings ransom for AB?

Nah. Browns got Hunt because he is ultra talented and the steelers are wanting that in return because AB is one of, if not the, most dynamic WR in the league and they have him for two more seasons under contract so they have a lot of leverage.

Well, according to NFL Network's Kimberly Jones there is a "legitimate expectation around the league" that Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray will go first overall to the Cardinals in this year's draft. I guess he will like that.