2019 Junior World Championships

I've got 125-100 Russia over USA right now. That's scoring 1st thru 5th place pts only for placements that are posted. I think the Russian 97kg gets 7th (not posted yet) for another 8 pts giving them 133. I didn't check any other teams, but we likely can't catch the Russians.

Last edited:
I've got 125-100 Russia over USA right now. That's scoring 1st thru 5th place pts only for placements that are posted. I think the Russian 97kg gets 7th (not posted yet) for another 8 pts giving them 133. I didn't check any other teams, but we likely can't catch the Russians.

Flo's Wrestling Nomad just said USA will finish 2nd or 3rd guaranteed. Depends on how Iran does

I can't find a site that has team scores so I just try to figure it out on my own. 1st thru 5th (two 5th place placers) is pretty cut and dry. 7th thru 10th takes a little effort. Track does have some of the placements posted (up thru 5th in weights that are finished) but no team scores. UWW has posted 57kg and 65kg team scores but no other ones.

UWW has now posted final team scores for 70, 79 & 97 (in addition to 57 & 65). It didn't change any of my results above. I've factored in the other five weights with what I know. Still 133-100-95.

Last edited:
Watching stick men on track I am not sure what just happened at the end of Carr's match.

He was up 4-1 with 13 sec left, got taken down so 4-3 with 3 seconds left.

Then with 3 seconds left the other guy got +1 to tie and time was out 0:00 which would give Carr a criteria win (2 TDs to 1 TD). Then somehow Carr got another +1 (challenge I am guessing?) and won 5-4.

Either way Carr is a world junior champ.

Watching stick men on track I am not sure what just happened at the end of Carr's match.

He was up 4-1 with 13 sec left, got taken down so 4-3 with 3 seconds left.

Then with 3 seconds left the other guy got +1 to tie and time was out 0:00 which would give Carr a criteria win (2 TDs to 1 TD). Then somehow Carr got another +1 (challenge I am guessing?) and won 5-4.

Either way Carr is a world junior champ.
Yes. Challenge point.

Medal rounds:

61kg- Gabe Tagg wins bronze! Was down 4-0 and scores 15 unanswered, including a nice lace for 6.
86kg- Trent Hidlay wins bronze! Totally controlled the match and wins 9-0. Guarantees the USA comes home with 6 medals

92kg- Davison falls to the Russian and takes silver. Russian shot twice and scored takedowns on both to make it 5-4. Great showing for Davison, much better than I expected

Last edited:
86kg- Trent Hidlay wins bronze! Totally controlled the match and wins 9-0. Guarantees the USA comes home with 6 medals

92kg- Davison falls to the Russian and takes silver. Russian shot twice and scored takedowns on both to make it 5-4. Great showing for Davison, much better than I expected
125kg- Holy cow Mason Parris with the PIN! Two golds for Team USA today

Four of our weights score zero points!
"Zero point zero."

Wow that was impressive, tech, tech, tech, and a fall in the finals vs the cadet world champ who beat Kerkvliet last year. Is it just me or does Mason look a lot better than even what he was at Junior Trials? Seems like he’s got a few different attacks now, finishes better, and as proven in the finals still has that Fireman’s. Can we get a Parris vs Steveson exhibition freestyle match? Been saying it for a while now, Steveson, Kerkvliet, and Schultz get most of the pub but Mason can be as good as any of them because they’ve all been year round wrestlers for a while now and this is Mason’s first spring/summer wrestling full time.

Notes! My records go back to 2005, so all stats/facts are from there.

- David Carr and Mason Parris have both qualified for the Olympic trials
- Gabe Tagg, Trent Hidlay, Lucas Davison, and Mason Parris have qualified for an Olympic redshirt. Tagg and Parris have a regular redshirt available.
- Vito and Carr became the 7th and 8th medalists at both Cadets and Juniors, after Adam Coon, Aaron Pico, Mark Hall, Daton Fix, Gable Steveson, and Aaron Brooks. Coon is still the only one to medal at all three age levels, but Fix has that chance this year.
- Vito's the first Junior medalist from New York. Tagg and Carr are the 3rd and 4th from Ohio (Stieber and Moore), Hidlay's the 5th from Pennsylvania (Leex2, Oliver, Wright, and Letts), and Davison and Parris are the 3rd/4th from Indiana (Micic and Howe)
- The USA has won 74kg four straight years (Mekhi Lewis in 2018 and Mark Hall in 2017/2016). Every medalist at 74kg has won NCAAs in their career (Lewis, Hall, Dieringer, Andrew Howe, and Quentin Wright).
- The USA has medaled at 57/55kg for the last 6 years; Vito, Datonx3, Micic, and Gilman

Last edited:
Great coverage. Thanks. I was on a boat with the grandkids today so I missed all the action. I was suspecting that Paris would have to beat the Iranian to secure the runner-up spot for Team USA, and it played out that way.

Man I wish Carr was at OSU. Met the kid once as one of his HS teachers lives down the road from road from us. He is one of the nicest kids you will ever meet too.
Completely agree. He was buddies with my daughter's boyfriend in MS and HS. Outside of the gym you wouldn't think he could wrestle out a paper bag. Humble as can be, nice kid

Wow that was impressive, tech, tech, tech, and a fall in the finals vs the cadet world champ who beat Kerkvliet last year. Is it just me or does Mason look a lot better than even what he was at Junior Trials? Seems like he’s got a few different attacks now, finishes better, and as proven in the finals still has that Fireman’s.

I followed him in wrestling as much possible when he was a Jr and Sr in HS. He was pretty dominate and very, 'un-polished.' Now he's been polished up a bit. Baring an injury, he can only get better and I look forward to seeing how much better.
A redshirt would have helped a great deal in my opinion. But...Damn! Parris performed at the highest level he possibly could have in the last year.
Our HVY's are a badass bunch!

Women's:
Disappointing showing from the women's team, as Macey Kilty is the only medalist, repeating her silver performance from last year. Cam Guerin and Alyvia Fiske both took 5th, losing in the bronze match. Japan won 8 golds, including wins from 2018 Senior champs Yui Susaki and Haruna Okuno.

Greco:
Cohlton Schultz (Arizona State) will be wrestling for gold tomorrow against Iran, improving on his bronze from last year. Alston Nutter will wrestle for bronze, and Cam Caffey (Michigan State) is still in repechage. The last Greco group will start tomorrow, including Omania (Michigan St), Eischens (Stanford) and Braunagel (Illinois)

Not sure if it's a depth issue or what. Senior women are just behind Japan but juniors aren't as competitive.