• Oak Hills

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Princeton

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Sycamore

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There were a number of reasons the rushing yardage was way down last year for Sycamore...Offensive line started 4 underclassmen including sophomores. Only 1 senior offensive lineman. The top running back severely sprained his ankle early in the season and never fully recovered. There was not a lot of depth at the position. The current senior class is supposed to be pretty good. A lot of them started as sophomores and juniors. Depth is always a factor at Sycamore though.

Does there seem to be any resentment towards the coach for testing the waters for the Colerain position from the players?

Don, what makes you think that? This is not one of the more talented West teams. There is not a ton of offensive talent and they’re learning a new system. They were good on defense last year, but Bolden is not known as a defensive coach. Frankly, I think they go 5-5.
Because the kids are buying in and giving max effort. The intensity is high. The defense has size and is good. The RB is a stud and will thrive under Bolden. I got a report from the West, St. X, Anderson scrimmage that West is very good. I go back and forth and keep coming back to Colerain but West is going to be in there with Colerain and Fairfield.

Like I said, weak schedule, when you go 6-4 in Region 8 (2016) and 7-3 in Region 4 (2011), you should make the playoffs.... The fact that they didn't means they had no quality wins. In 2011, they finished 11 in Region 4, shouldn't happen if you beat quality teams, period.

So like I said, cupcake schedules.

In 2016 they made the playoffs, but got kicked out because of the Dunbar scandal. Dunbar was 9-1 that year only loss was to Princeton 41-12. Princeton also beat Springfield who went 7-3 that year and a playoff team.

I understand that the coaches get a little wild on Twitter and can be cocky at times. But they were on their way to a 6-4 and maybe 7-3 record last year before the AD scandal. I believe the coaches, players and fans know that they have to beat a Sycamore, Fairfield, Mason, and the king of the GMC Colerain before the outside believes in them. There is nothing wrong with having confidence to change the atmosphere of your program. I think most Princeton alum feel that coach Daniels needs to be playing in a playoff game this year

Does there seem to be any resentment towards the coach for testing the waters for the Colerain position from the players?
Most probably don't even know. Sycamore is lucky to have him though. They might have the second most GMC wins during his time at Sycamore behind only Colerain. That's good coaching and putting a plan together based on what you have in the system especially when Sycamore is on the small side of the GMC and not too far away from D2 level I would imagine.

I think most Princeton alum feel that coach Daniels needs to be playing in a playoff game this year

And I would say this is a very reasonable, rational expectation given the talent on the team from a college recruitment/interest standpoint.

If I am a Princeton supporter I have to think to myself "if not this year, then when?"

Last edited:
Because the kids are buying in and giving max effort. The intensity is high. The defense has size and is good. The RB is a stud and will thrive under Bolden. I got a report from the West, St. X, Anderson scrimmage that West is very good. I go back and forth and keep coming back to Colerain but West is going to be in there with Colerain and Fairfield.
I was at the Lakota west scrimmage vs X and Anderson. West will run some triple option and some spread. Afari is a stud and they have a qb. The Caudill kid that transferred from moeller throws a decent ball. West will be competitive this year. There defense is solid and they have size and speed. They will be top 4 GMC

Most probably don't even know. Sycamore is lucky to have him though. They might have the second most GMC wins during his time at Sycamore behind only Colerain. That's good coaching and putting a plan together based on what you have in the system especially when Sycamore is on the small side of the GMC and not too far away from D2 level I would imagine.

They have been the 2nd best team in the GMC behind Colerain except when they Colerain. For whatever reason, so matter how good they are they seem to be overwhelmed when playing Colerain. Even the year they should have played in the State semi-finals in 2016, it took a really dumb coaching decision and a bad call on the onside kick for X to beat them. Meanwhile a few weeks earlier Colerain had put a running clock on them at halftime.

Considering the size of school and the amount of talent they have had the 2nd best team in the GMC over the past decade.

They have been the 2nd best team in the GMC behind Colerain except when they Colerain. For whatever reason, so matter how good they are they seem to be overwhelmed when playing Colerain. Even the year they should have played in the State semi-finals in 2016, it took a really dumb coaching decision and a bad call on the onside kick for X to beat them. Meanwhile a few weeks earlier Colerain had put a running clock on them at halftime.

Considering the size of school and the amount of talent they have had the 2nd best team in the GMC over the past decade.
Dattilo is 0-19 against the GCL-S and Colerain while at Sycamore. He is 91-30 against everybody else.

Dattilo is 0-19 against the GCL-S and Colerain while at Sycamore. He is 91-30 against everybody else.
It's arguable that the GMC and the GCL-S are two of the best conferences in the country. Week in and week out are generally quality opponents. There are worse teams/leagues to be winless against that's for sure. There have been some close calls over the years with GCL-S teams as well. Lost to LaSalle a few years ago in overtime and they went on win to win State. Lost to St. X a few years ago in overtime in the regional final as referenced earlier and they went on to win State. I wonder how many GMC games Colerain has lost over the last 14 years or so. Can't be too many. Maybe this is the year they get over the Colerain hump...

It's arguable that the GMC and the GCL-S are two of the best conferences in the country. Week in and week out are generally quality opponents. There are worse teams/leagues to be winless against that's for sure. There have been some close calls over the years with GCL-S teams as well. Lost to LaSalle a few years ago in overtime and they went on win to win State. Lost to St. X a few years ago in overtime in the regional final as referenced earlier and they went on to win State. I wonder how many GMC games Colerain has lost over the last 14 years or so. Can't be too many. Maybe this is the year they get over the Colerain hump...

The only coach in the GMC with a win over Colerain is Jason Krause when he was at Middletown. Dattilo is not the only guy to be 0 and something against the Cards.

Dattilo and his staff have done a great job of getting the most out of the kids they have. Kudos also to the kids year and year out for buying in and being very dedicated.

If you play a mistake filled game against Mason or Sycamore you will definitely lose the game. Well coached teams will always beat you if you turn the ball over. That makes Colerain's run even more impressive with teams like Mason, Sycamore, and Fairfield at times being really good and basically get blown out every year by Colerain. If your Princeton, Fairfield, Mason, or Sycamore you have to take advantage this year, because I think Lakota West will be battling Colerain for the GMC for years to come

West is the only school in the past 10 years that was even close, year in year out, in terms of talent with Colerain. Larry's grab bag offense and lack of team discipline then spelled defeat to the Cards and other less talented GMC teams.

West is the only school in the past 10 years that was even close, year in year out, in terms of talent with Colerain. Larry's grab bag offense and lack of team discipline then spelled defeat to the Cards and other less talented GMC teams.

A fair critique I think. While Colerain's record in the GMC has been impressive, it's not like there have not been games where other teams, including West, have had them on the ropes.

This one I remember being pretty snug late into the game: http://gmcsports.com/fbGameStats.aspx?gameid=190938

Commentary on West underachieving historically under Cox are fair, IMHO. If I am a Firebird fan I have to be excited about the changes Bolden can bring. Colerain has certainly been blessed with talent over the years, but they have a certain mentality that I think Bolden deserves credit for helping maintain and expanding. I also am hoping Coach Cut will keep it going on Cheviot Road, too.

I was at the Lakota west scrimmage vs X and Anderson. West will run some triple option and some spread. Afari is a stud and they have a qb. The Caudill kid that transferred from moeller throws a decent ball. West will be competitive this year. There defense is solid and they have size and speed. They will be top 4 GMC

Lies. Fingers crossed for 5-5. ;)

On the GMC poll we had 66 votes

45 going to Colerain
10 going to Princeton
6 going to Lakota West
3 going to Mason
2 going to Fairfield

Defensive returnees should provide solid foundation for Lakota East this season

A fair critique I think. While Colerain's record in the GMC has been impressive, it's not like there have not been games where other teams, including West, have had them on the ropes.

This one I remember being pretty snug late into the game: http://gmcsports.com/fbGameStats.aspx?gameid=190938

Commentary on West underachieving historically under Cox are fair, IMHO. If I am a Firebird fan I have to be excited about the changes Bolden can bring. Colerain has certainly been blessed with talent over the years, but they have a certain mentality that I think Bolden deserves credit for helping maintain and expanding. I also am hoping Coach Cut will keep it going on Cheviot Road, too.
What about this game where Lakota West fumbled on the goal line as time expired? West was terrible that year too.

In regards to Sycamore vs. Colerain, Colerain is the one team that Sycamore has never been able to out-execute. Colerain always executes equally well or better than Sycamore and has superior athletes. That's why they always blow Sycamore out. Of the 13 games Dattilo has lost against Colerain, only two were under 20 points and none of them have been under 10.

Meanwhile, aside from the 2017 playoff blowout loss to St. X, Sycamore's margin of defeat against the GCL-S have been the following:
-7 points against Moeller in '07 playoff (Sycamore blew a 21-0 3rd quarter lead)
-10 points at Moeller in '11 playoff (Sycamore led at halftime)
-7 points at The Pit against Elder in '12 playoff
-3 points in OT against state champion Lasalle in '16 (Sycamore led at halftime, gave up a late tying TD, and fumbled on 1st and goal in OT when a TD would have won it)
-7 points in OT against state champion St. X in '16 playoffs (Sycamore led by 14 with the ball with 3:30 to play)

Sycamore matches up better athletically with the GCL-S schools and can execute similarly. They basically play like a GCL-S school, just with much less depth.

BTW, not really griping about my Aves. We're going to be very good this year, and I just love the years where we get on the field against Colerain and the GCL-S with something to play for.

Don, what makes you think that? This is not one of the more talented West teams. There is not a ton of offensive talent and they’re learning a new system. They were good on defense last year, but Bolden is not known as a defensive coach. Frankly, I think they go 5-5.
This team has some good talent on D and good talent on O, these Seniors were 9-1 as Freshman and Juniors were7- 2-1 ....I know that’s not a projection of what they will do at Varsity level against complete teams, but Cox said the next two years were circled on his calendar..... I still think it’s Colerains to lose....but West will be there...8-2

Jballer, where do you have the Aves finishing?
I have the Aves at 8-2 in a tie for 2nd. They will lose to Colerain and then I say split with Princeton and Fairfield. I just think they’ll be better than West and Mason. When Sycamore has even talent with those teams, they win every time. Bolden has a lot to prove at West in my mind. He needs to show he can win without the Colerain machine that was already in place.

Looking forward to the match-up with Colerain next week. Sounds like we managed to hang with ecks pretty well last week, so it'll be interesting to see if we continue not sucking too badly.

I have a feeling X may be a bit down this year because Mason did pretty well compared to their other GCL scrimmages in the past. Normally Mason gets pretty beat up in this scrimmage but they held their own. In the actual scrimmage portion, Mason stopped St. X on a 3 and out and then hit 3 decently big passes with the last one being a jump ball.

Mason is an enigma to me because I had my doubts last year and they return even less this year. But there were a lot of players I didn't recognize so either some multi sport athletes are coming back or they got some transfers coming in. They even had a Freshman transfer QB getting a significant amount of reps with the first team and he did pretty good. Also, looks like Mason has quite a few of their better players playing on both sides sparingly.

Last edited: