Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Sycamore

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vike16

Welcome back GMC football lovers

We are about 5 weeks away from week 1

This might be one of the most anticipated years in recent memory after a wild and exciting offseason

I think 5 to 6 teams in the GMC will be fighting for playoff spots this year (Sycamore, Princeton, Mason, Lakota West, Fairfield, and Colerain. With that being said Colerain is still KING until proven otherwise IMHO

Let's get started

Welcome back GMC football lovers

We are about 5 weeks away from week 1

This might be one of the most anticipated years in recent memory after a wild and exciting offseason

I think 5 to 6 teams in the GMC will be fighting for playoff spots this year (Sycamore, Princeton, Mason, Lakota West, Fairfield, and Colerain. With that being said Colerain is still KING until proven otherwise IMHO

Let's get started
Thanks, for getting this started.

I'm going with Lakota West. My reason is that at some point a change will occur and Colerain will no longer be champion. I think Bolden at West, his ability to unite his players and the stable of college talent West has year in and year out.

West is top going in the GMC.

Princeton has the best talent.
West has a major upgrade in coaching.
Colerain has the best system in place.

Mason, Fairfield and Sycamore have never been there so how do they react?

as I say every year...its Colerain until somebody takes it from them.

I think you have to break the GMC down into tiers this season, with anybody being able to beat anybody on a given tier:

Elite

Colerain - Does everybody forget how much talent this team has? Deshawn Pace is the best returning defensive player in the league, they're going to be good on both lines with plenty of talent and experience returning, and I'm sure they will find good athletes to run their triple option. They aren't losing in the league.

Good

Princeton - Very good collection of top end talent being gathered, but also have some really good lesser known players like RB Thomas Boyd. The big question mark is will their coaching staff (and offensive and defensive schemes, playcalling, game management, etc.) be any better than the dumpster fire that it was last year? They also aren't going to be that deep, so any injuries to their top guys will hurt more.

Sycamore - Only lost 8 seniors from last years 6-4 team and everybody knows how good this staff is. I'm not sure there is a single FBS player on this team, but they have very good talent across all of the starting positions and should be the Sycamore team with the fewest holes in quite some time. No depth as always, but don't count out Sycamore's ability to out-execute their opponents on both sides of the ball.

Fairfield - Jutahn McClain is the best offensive player in the league, and Ellis should be a good QB. Krause is a very good coach and they actually have decent talent back on defense.

Mediocre

Mason - The defense was the strength of their team last year, and only 2 starters return. The offensive core is back, but it was atrocious last year and Mason runs a very poor offensive scheme. Should have more depth than most, but just not enough top end talent and coaching to compete with the tiers above.

Lakota West - Yes, they aren't there yet. They were a complete dumpster fire on offense last year, and we have no idea what kind of offense Bolden is even going to run yet. If its the triple, top end talent isn't a necessity, but West also doesn't have the years of practice that the Colerain kids do running it. They do return 7 starters from a solid defense.

Meh

Lakota East - Only return 6 starters from last year's playoff team. They are solidly coached, but don't exactly have tremendous talent in the pipeline. They won't beat themselves, but their also not going to wow anybody.

Hamilton - They actually have a tremendous amount of offensive talent, with potentially 4 power five players at their offensive skill positions. For the love of all that we enjoy in football, can somebody make this a dynamic offense?

Bleh

Oak Hills - Will never have success in the GMC trying to chuck it around. Also can't play defense. Ever.

Middletown - Presumably, they will be better than they were last year.

Word through the grapevine is the Colerain board of trustees and school district voted to make Colerain an open enrollment school. Look out if that's true.

Unofficially they been open enrollment.
Care to pass the names to the District? Do you know how much $$ this would cost a District? Northwest Local is in no financial shape to blindly take students who do not live in the District. They aren't Princeton yet.

Last edited:
Care to pass the names to the District? Do you know how much $$ this would cost a District? Northwest Local is in no financial shape to blindly take students who do not live in the District. They aren't Princeton yet.
Sure, from which year. I can go back to 1993 to current. The Byrd Twins definitely didn't live in Northwest School District.

Haven't looked at team schedules yet but here we go.
#1-Cards #2-Indians #3-Vikings #4-Birds #5-Aves #6-Blue #7-Comets #8-Hawks #9-Middies #10-Highlanders
Cards, of course. Still waiting for the Indians to beat the Cards or get to Regional Finals in tournament. In Mason, the haters grow as they potentially go 5-5 or 4-6. Hamilton makes a little movement to the middle. Vikings out talent people then lose early in the tournament. Aves can't hang with top 3 and good games with the rest. Birds might beat Vikings or Indians if they play them?? After 10 years of predictable offense and zero quality wins Hawks fans wonder why? Wake me up when the Middies beat someone besides Oak Hills or a Dayton Public school. Highlanders, please join the SWOC and have a chance every season to win 5-8 games.

I agree with much of the sentiment on here with a couple of caveats. Cards definitely win, unless they make a complete overhaul of the offense, then I think they finish in the middle. I think everyone on here knows my feeling regarding Princeton and their "talent." Once again, I don't care about college offers or even commits, they mean nothing. Every college "offers" way, way more scholarships than they have available. The commitments aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Most of the players we see all over social media with offers and commitment letters signed, won't go because they aren't NCAA eligible, and yes, I said most as in over 50%. Princeton is way too full of themselves and I don't buy their talent. Speed and size doesn't mean you can play football, I'll take the underrated hard-working blue-collar type player with a chip on his shoulder any day over they hyped up overrated players. West is the wild card this year. We will find out how good Bolden is and/or how bad Cox was. Sycamore has the best staff in the league and maybe the city. Fairfield will fall short of expectations as usual as they get too cute with things as the year progresses. Mason will knock off a few as they do every year, lots of players and they execute well. East is East and will be competitive in the Middle. I don't get the hate on Haynes, in 9 seasons, 3 playoff appearances and won a playoff game each time. Most schools would kill for that.... ask Princeton, Hamilton, Middletown, and Oak Hills how that would sound? Oak Hills has only made playoffs once in history, and that was in 1999. The others have been forever too. I'm not saying Haynes is the best coach ever, but he's a guy that will give a public school a chance every few years, which is great for 90% of schools. Hamilton, Middletown, and Oak Hills will continue to struggle per usual. Weird thing about Oak Hills is they are usually decently competitive in most other sports, finishing in middle of the All Sports Trophy if not toward the top, so the SWOC would only be a good fit for football, they would dominate most other sports, which is why they probably won't ever leave the GMC.

Weird thing about Oak Hills is they are usually decently competitive in most other sports, finishing in middle of the All Sports Trophy if not toward the top, so the SWOC would only be a good fit for football, they would dominate most other sports, which is why they probably won't ever leave the GMC.

I think Oak Hills will remain in the GMC as long as they want to. While their football program no doubt has struggled for most of its history, the rest of their programs are solid like you said. They'd most likely have to go independent before being invited into any other conference in the region short of perhaps the ECC based on enrollment size alone.

Worn out topic by me but Oak Hills would be better off in the SWOC. The big two sports would have better atmosphere/crowds and they would finish in top half every year. Won't happen anytime soon. Making the playoffs is SWOhio D1 football is not difficult. Go 6-4 in the GMC and it's pretty much a lock. I attended many East, Mason, and West football games for many of the Cox years and Haynes years. I thought maybe Haynes would start to rule the district but it didn't happen. IMO they both underachieve for different reasons, Larry was lacking in many areas except recruiting Lakota kids to West and making sure everyone knew they signed D1. Mason might drop this year, don't think they have the playmakers, if so the dogs will be after Castner. Haynes lacked the ability to coach the talent at hand. Came from Colerain, this is how we play, system over players/talent. Not sure if he attracts kids and never won a big GMC game besides the underachieving Larry at West. Any Hamilton people think they will be better this year. The past coach is well respected but just didn't get enough W's the past two years. Did he set them up for success?

Hamilton was so poorly coached when I saw them play Sycamore last season. They have talent.

I definitely would like to see the Big Blue become a formidable force again. It would be a great shot in the arm for the city and compliment all of the other positive growth going on around Hamilton.

They had the great '97 team for Colerain's first year in the GMC. Mingery, Michael Meyers etc. I figured Colerain would be chasing them in the GMC for years to come. Sadly they have not done too much since then.

Hamilton has never been a force, they've had a few good years, nothing really that significant. People always pine for the good ol days in Hamilton, they've never been a force in any meaning of the word whatsoever.

Where did they live? I know they went to Colerain Middle.
They lived on Pippin Road in the Mt/Healthy district. Even in the mid 90s Kevin Taylor lived in the heart of College Hill. Matter of fact his mother still live in College Hill.

The GMC runs through Colerain. Like Ric Flair use to say, "to Be the Man, you must Beat the Man. Colerain's the man to beat.

Let's talk about the non-conference games:

Colerain: @ Wayne, St. X
Fairfield: Centerville, @ Springfield
Hamilton: @ West Clermont, Anderson
Lakota East: Turpin, Kettering Fairmont
Lakota West: @ Lasalle, Centerville
Mason: Springboro, Lasalle
Middletown: @ Western Hills, Springboro
Oak Hills: @ East Central, Simon Kenton
Princeton: @ Milford, Withrow
Sycamore: Loveland, @ Kings

Not a bad collection of games overall and seem to be pretty fair matchups. No one seems to have loaded up on cupcakes as there are a lot of playoff teams from last year and/or teams that are regular players in the post-season.

A lot of GWOC and ECC games which make the most sense.

Oak Hills won't play a team from Ohio until week 3.

Is Princeton in a contract with Withrow for a few more years? That will likely be the most lopsided non-conference game.

Lakota East and Coach Haynes gets to open the season against his alma mater. Don't know if that factored into getting that game scheduled.

Sycamore playing some backyard border games which should be fun for the fans as I would guess these communities overlap a lot with churches, club sports, etc.

Colerain: Really should beat Wayne, and the game against X is anyone's guess.
Fairfield: Two challenging games that they should win though.
Hamilton: Definitely more talented than West Clermont and Anderson, but they could lose both.
Lakota East: Probably not going to beat Turpin and Fairmont might be a toss up.
Lakota West: Lasalle will be a loss and Centerville is a likely toss up.
Mason: Should beat Springboro and lose to Lasalle.
Middletown: Will beat West Hi and will lose to Springboro.
Oak Hills: These will be their only 2 wins of the year.
Princeton: Should roll in both.
Sycamore: Kings may be a little challenge, but they should win both.

I predict a 14-6 non-conference record for the GMC.

The non- league games are fair. Yeah I don't know why Withrow is playing Princeton. This must have been scheduled years ago with the hope of I don't know. Middletown and West High is another game which is questionable. I would love to see the Princeton and Moeller rival along with Oak Hills and Elder. They should do a GCL and GMC showdown and the bottom GMC play the ECC.