Votes: 1 2.6%
  • West Clermont

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Walnut Hills

• Withrow

• Total voters
The ECC basically is full of D2 programs. Withrow was beating D3,4,5 schools with 20-30 kids when they were in the CMAC. It should not be a surprise they didn't compete in the ECC everyone knows that was a bad move. Winning in the CMAC is extreamly hard. Do you know the struggle it takes for those coaches to put a team on the field? They spend more time trying to help kids eat, find places to stay, help with transportation, etc . than they do with actual football things. Most of the current coaches in the CMAC took over programs that were in terrible shape for YEARS before they arrived. It takes more than a couple seasons to change the culture. I won't get too deep into that conversation though. Jones was 2-8 year 1 and 4-6 year 2, a couple of those losses couldve went either way. As i mentioned outside looking in I could see why you say what you do but the people that know whats really going on get it.
I agree, the dynamics are horrible. Until CPS decides to pay more money and invest in athletics it will always be a struggle. Lastly, when CPS did away with Jr. High sports back in the late 90s and early 2000 they seemed not to recover from that.

I know exactly what it takes as I have coached in the CMAC before and know all of the struggles you mention very well It really isn't hard to win that conference as most of those teams are so terrible at football every year due to those struggles that you mention as well as the nightmare Athletic Department in CPS. When was the last time a CMAC school won a playoff game? It is a bad conference, period. And that is 90% the fault of the terribly run CPS Athletic Dept.

Withrow was also D2 when they left the CMAC, so the ECC made the most sense logistics wise at that time. Withrow also spent most of their time being a D1 team while in the CMAC. Why would they join the SWOC or CHL when they are/were so much larger than those schools? Also, Withrow really wanted in the ECC to try to elevate their school's reputation and was hoping to do so by being associated with those schools in the ECC. They also lied during their application process saying that within 2 years they would have all teams competing in all the sports (Swimming, Tennis, Boys Volleyball, etc) when they had no real plan to follow through with such false claims.
Withrow promised to have a swim team.....Gee

I wasn't frustrated at all, wish I could still do it. New job & way longer work hours made it impossible to keep coaching. I loved coaching in the CMAC way more than any of my other places. The kids were way more genuine. I will tell you that those kids don't need more empathy, and they certainly don't need more exposure to other bad programs, in the same boat that they are in, that's what they think is normal.... the rotating coaches, bad and disrespectful coaches, undisciplined teams, kids not showing up to practice, etc. The ECC was a bad fit for Withrow, but going back to the CMAC is going to set them back even further, at least in the ECC they had more exposure to what it takes to be competitive with teams other than the CMAC.

CMAC doesn't need more excuses, and I was not frustrated in the least coaching in the CMAC, life changes is all. There are many other programs that have the same difficulties as the CMAC programs, but have found success, some constant success, others, success in spurts, but it's possible. Modeling your conference after DPS and other terribly run urban public Athletic Conferences is not the way for these kids to get any better.
I totally agree with you on that. I thought It would be better to go the INDY route. At least they would get some semi-competitive games. I

From my understanding they are both from Dayton Public Schools. Also, I was told that the AD dude passed on Cargile from Taft who is the best coach in the CMAC. So yeah they are buddies along with the basketball coach at Withrow.
I know Jones coached at Wayne and Dayton Christian before Woodward....I dont think he coached for DPS anywhere. Im still trying to see how they are buddies? From what I here he did a solid job at Woodward.

Jones' 2 years at Woodward, he had an overall worse record than the two years before he was there. Jones had 6 wins in 2 years, and the 2 years before he got there Woodward had 9 wins. How is that better?

Woodward was a LOT better than their record. with maybe 25 kids, they gave CJ a game (pre storm, let's not discuss the next day), and almost beat Madeira, Dunbar and Aiken. why you let Kali leave a compelling situation to perform triage at Withrow is another mystifying decision from CPS

You may be right, but I haven't heard anything positive about Kali from anyone like I didn't hear anything positive about Snow, other than people sent by them on the internet to hype up what they are doing. All of the positivity and coverage of Kali and Withrow is coming from Dave Berk at First Star, which is a pay for recruiting service. No coach worth a damn partners or has anything to do with these slime balls. There's something not right about such a partnership.

I know Jones coached at Wayne and Dayton Christian before Woodward....I dont think he coached for DPS anywhere. Im still trying to see how they are buddies? From what I here he did a solid job at Woodward.
From what I have been told Kali played at C White, Jones was the AD over all of DPS. DPS is small. I was told Kali was promise the job before the season was over. Regardless of all that, it still a hard job to coach currently in CPS.

You may be right, but I haven't heard anything positive about Kali from anyone like I didn't hear anything positive about Snow, other than people sent by them on the internet to hype up what they are doing. All of the positivity and coverage of Kali and Withrow is coming from Dave Berk at First Star, which is a pay for recruiting service. No coach worth a damn partners or has anything to do with these slime balls. There's something not right about such a partnership.
I heard a lot of good about Snow when he was NCH and Mt. Healthy, where is he now? I even have heard some good things about Kali. I think Withrow is too much for any coach honestly.

I heard a lot of good about Snow when he was NCH and Mt. Healthy, where is he now? I even have heard some good things about Kali. I think Withrow is too much for any coach honestly.
No idea where he is. I think you are correct with Withrow being too much for just about everyone.

Any news from scrimmages? I heard Kings started the junior QB and held their own against WW, though Miyan Williams didn’t play after he dislocated a thumb on play 6.

Kings did hold their own. And Turpin was further along than Hamilton. No individuals stood out for Turpin but they were ok as a team. I've see 6 teams this weekend and Turpin was not the worst.

Kings did hold their own. And Turpin was further along than Hamilton. No individuals stood out for Turpin but they were ok as a team. I've see 6 teams this weekend and Turpin was not the worst.
My Kings buds said WW QBs did not look good but they weren’t sure WW needs a QB this year....

My Kings buds said WW QBs did not look good but they weren’t sure WW needs a QB this year....
Lol. WW needs good QB play. He looked OK to me. Missed some throws. Wasnt allowed to run the football. I was really pleased with the tempo that the Winton Woods offense worked. In and out of the huddle very fast. I thought the intensity of the oline was inconsistent. They need to work as a unit and get after it on every play. The sophomore RB that stepped in for Williams was very impressive. I have been hearing alot about him this off season and he is varsity ready. Williams will be ready for week 1.

No idea where he is. I think you are correct with Withrow being too much for just about everyone.

Withrow isn't a lost cause. Doc Gamble had tremendous success at his alma mater. Jim Place had the Tigers winning also. They have active alumni and pretty good facilities. Snow was just a bad hire. Hopefully Jones can get them back on track and into the playoffs again.

Withrow isn't a lost cause. Doc Gamble had tremendous success at his alma mater. Jim Place had the Tigers winning also. They have active alumni and pretty good facilities. Snow was just a bad hire. Hopefully Jones can get them back on track and into the playoffs again.

Getting back into the CMAC may be just the thing Withrow needs to re-establish past success if the right coaching and school support is in place. When a team has been down, winning is the best way to build belief and support. I doubt the players on the field and other Tiger supporters will care if they are beating West Hi instead of West Clermont or Taft instead of Turpin if they are indeed, winning.

As illogical as it may sound, being in the CMAC and winning will probably make the overall program more formidable than being in the ECC and losing. Those kids in 6th-7th-8th grades now probably will be more excited about playing on a winner, regardless of the competition and the numbers on the roster will go up.

Place may have won, but it was due to Gambles efforts. Place rode the wave of good for 3 years and ruined Withrow's program. He had a revolving door of coaches in his 3 years, and numbers plummeted under his tenure. Year before Place was hired, well over 85 freshmen football players and 60-70 in grades 10-12 on the team. Year after Place left.... No freshmen team and maybe 30 for all grades 9-12. Make no mistake, Place was a bad hire too and most Withrow's issues were created by him.

Jim Place won however, he started the destruction of Withrow Football. Then what Place didn't destroy Drake finished the deal. If memory serve me correctly didn't they have to issues of playing ineligible players? So I didn't Snow was a bad hire but Snow had inherited a program which was dead and needed resurrection. I did hear the at least they had a freshman team last season. How good they were, I don't know but like I said before that a tough situation.

Any word on the middle of the pack ECC? West clermont, Walnut, Loveland? Heard WC might be pretty solid this year, and Walnut has a decent amount of skill players returning. TigerDad56 how are your boys in Tiger Country going to be? Still running the Wing T?

Any word on the middle of the pack ECC? West clermont, Walnut, Loveland? Heard WC might be pretty solid this year, and Walnut has a decent amount of skill players returning. TigerDad56 how are your boys in Tiger Country going to be? Still running the Wing T?
They are not running wing T but I haven’t seen them in person yet...

Next week I will be starting a GMC pick'em, but I was going to add the ECC to expand the pick'em. Good idea or no

To me it’s Turpin and Kings as the favorites to win the ECC thus year. Those two had a barn burner last year @ Turpin with Kings kicking a field goal to win it as time expired. Turpin returns a lot of starters and Kings doesn’t but the junior class at Kings is very talented and should have their feet wet by the time they play.

A lot of people high on Anderson but losing those two massive offensive linemen, their two top receivers and their QB is going to make things difficult for them, IMO. Anderson also lost a few coaches in the offseason and while I know Kings lost Coach Olds, the entire staff returns and I think I would take their staff over anyone’s in the conference.

After those three, I will go Milford, WC, Walnut, Withrow and Loveland.