2019 Eastern Buckeye Conference

Sportsfan2018

So with the changes in the league this year how does everyone think this upcoming season will turn out?

Last edited:

Alliance will probably have the 2 best pitchers in the league and plenty to go with it.

Marlington is returning a lot and west Branch will need to reload but they usually do.

South had some talent coming from back.

Carrollton seemed to be really young last year and played with a lot fire, their new coach seems to be on the right path.

Minerva will have the most to replace and the old coaching regime did very little to develop young talent. The new coaching staff will do some positive things but are still a year away.

Don’t know much about Salem.

I think alliance will be the team to beat not only in the EBC but maybe in area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alliance returning the best 2 pitchers in the league? Ok Bruni but my mind is blank on the other one, help me out. Alliance might have the top 2 but I think Marlington has the best overall staff with CJ Greiner, Andrew Carr, Andrew Pucci, and Nate Allenbaugh. Plus many starters all over the field. I like Marlington to take the title this year.

Alliance returning the best 2 pitchers in the league? Ok Bruni but my mind is blank on the other one, help me out. Alliance might have the top 2 but I think Marlington has the best overall staff with CJ Greiner, Andrew Carr, Andrew Pucci, and Nate Allenbaugh. Plus many starters all over the field. I like Marlington to take the title this year.

Nate Simons and Gavin Bruni will be the best 1-2 punch in the EBC, IMO anyways, both throw heat. Alliance also has Strata and Lopez - maybe best player in the league?? But I could make an argument for marlington too- a lot of experience and very good baseball players. They may have more pitching depth but I really liked Simons who was a sophomore last year

I agree that Alliance has a very solid team coming back with a lot of experience and depth.
South has a pretty good 1-2 with Phillipi and Akers coming back, both starting varsity since their freshman year.
Marlington has a pretty big set of shoes to fill as well with losing Dezenzo, but they have a lot of players with a lot of experience.
What all does Minerva need to replace? I know they lost Croston and Wright but is there a lot of other slots that are open?

I agree that Alliance has a very solid team coming back with a lot of experience and depth.
South has a pretty good 1-2 with Phillipi and Akers coming back, both starting varsity since their freshman year.
Marlington has a pretty big set of shoes to fill as well with losing Dezenzo, but they have a lot of players with a lot of experience.
What all does Minerva need to replace? I know they lost Croston and Wright but is there a lot of other slots that are open?

Minerva lost Croston, Wright, Stewart, Common, Walters- the 1st 2 were 4 years starters and the next 3 were 3 year starters. All had pretty impressive careers. They were all a big part of the school record wins in 2016- a lot or sophomores will have to step up - it’s going to be a rebuilding year for Minerva. But they have a high energy young coach and a new staff- could be a start of a good program with a lot of young talent but 2019 may be a struggle-

Minerva lost Croston, Wright, Stewart, Common, Walters- the 1st 2 were 4 years starters and the next 3 were 3 year starters. All had pretty impressive careers. They were all a big part of the school record wins in 2016- a lot or sophomores will have to step up - it’s going to be a rebuilding year for Minerva. But they have a high energy young coach and a new staff- could be a start of a good program with a lot of young talent but 2019 may be a struggle-

I watched most of the home games the last 4years and those kids that graduated are going to be hard to replace, especially with the lack of development of younger talent last year. That was a very talented group of seniors. I heard a lot of positive things about the new coach, coach Travis, and some of the staff that he is bringing with him. He is going to have a very young and inexperienced team, especially on the mound. They may struggle to win a lot of games because of how the previous coach left the program, but there is some excitement about the program again. But there is talent in the freshmen and sophomore classes. I believe only 2 juniors will be back and I 5 seniors and only 3 with varsity experience.

So the synopsis for the 2019 Lions, they will be young and rebuilding and may have a tough time in the EBC.

I watched most of the home games the last 4years and those kids that graduated are going to be hard to replace, especially with the lack of development of younger talent last year. That was a very talented group of seniors. I heard a lot of positive things about the new coach, coach Travis, and some of the staff that he is bringing with him. He is going to have a very young and inexperienced team, especially on the mound. They may struggle to win a lot of games because of how the previous coach left the program, but there is some excitement about the program again. But there is talent in the freshmen and sophomore classes. I believe only 2 juniors will be back and I 5 seniors and only 3 with varsity experience.

So the synopsis for the 2019 Lions, they will be young and rebuilding and may have a tough time in the EBC.

Pretty accurate- Minerva will be starting from square one- if there is a lack of success in 2019 it’s not because the old coach retired and it’s not because the new coach is not as good, it’s because he retired without much talent returning at the varsity level. Fortunately there is some talent in the freshmen and sophomore classes so it will a positive rebuilding year. Not much depth in the junior and senior classes but hopefully enough to get some wins- 500 record would be a stretch and I hope everyone recognizes it..

Last edited:
Sounds like it will be a tough season in Minerva then. Will be interesting to see if the new coach there can do positive things with the young players it sounds like he has

Sounds like it will be a tough season in Minerva then. Will be interesting to see if the new coach there can do positive things with the young players it sounds like he has

Definitively a rebuilding year for the Lions. There are going to be a lot of good baseball players in the EBC, it will be fun to watch how the season unfolds.

I agree Wildcat, nothing better than the boys on the diamond during the spring season. Go Dukes!!!!!

Baseball is here!! -- I just heard that Minerva will be on the field Saturday scrimmaging - It's good to have a turf field and I just noticed they added a brand new turf pitcher's mound since last season.. Hopefully this is the last of the artic temps here in NE Ohio..

I'm going stir crazy. I need baseball to start. The extended forecast has changed over the last couple of days and unfortunately it's not for the better. I'm so over winter and would love some 50 degree days. We need sun,wind and a little warmth to get fields playable. Wish there was more activity on here about the EBC. Come on let's talk some baseball. New subject how many players on your high school roster play travel ball in the summer.
Marlington
CJ Greiner and Andrew Carr play for the Manchester A's
Anthony Sabbitino the Ohio Elite

Alliance players I know of are
Logan Bell Manchester A's
Gavin Bruni Release Baseball
Help me fill in the blanks

I'm going stir crazy. I need baseball to start. The extended forecast has changed over the last couple of days and unfortunately it's not for the better. I'm so over winter and would love some 50 degree days. We need sun,wind and a little warmth to get fields playable. Wish there was more activity on here about the EBC. Come on let's talk some baseball. New subject how many players on your high school roster play travel ball in the summer.
Marlington
CJ Greiner and Andrew Carr play for the Manchester A's
Anthony Sabbitino the Ohio Elite

Alliance players I know of are
Logan Bell Manchester A's
Gavin Bruni Release Baseball
Help me fill in the blanks

Can't wait either Wildcat!!

Those are some true travel teams that you mentioned above. But some dads will say their kids play "travel ball" and it's basically a glorified Hot Stove League team that costs a lot more. There is nothing wrong with that, because those boys are still playing baseball but I think playing in a "travel league" and going to a 1 or 2 tournaments per summer doesn't make it a travel team.

Anyways to answer your question - I heard that Minerva only had 4 kids play summer ball that are in grades 10-12 this year. 2 played for the Terriers a 2 played on Alliance's Hot Stove league E league team. They couldn't get enough kids to play to have a Minerva team. That's pretty common in Minerva. Hopefully our new coach will get some more kids to play summer ball, Getting at least an extra 18-20 games in the summer is so important, regardless of the league. But if a kid can compete at a true travel ball level and a family can afford it - it's a great development opportunity for a kid.

Can't wait either Wildcat!!

Those are some true travel teams that you mentioned above. But some dads will say their kids play "travel ball" and it's basically a glorified Hot Stove League team that costs a lot more. There is nothing wrong with that, because those boys are still playing baseball but I think playing in a "travel league" and going to a 1 or 2 tournaments per summer doesn't make it a travel team.

Anyways to answer your question - I heard that Minerva only had 4 kids play summer ball that are in grades 10-12 this year. 2 played for the Terriers a 2 played on Alliance's Hot Stove league E league team. They couldn't get enough kids to play to have a Minerva team. That's pretty common in Minerva. Hopefully our new coach will get some more kids to play summer ball, Getting at least an extra 18-20 games in the summer is so important, regardless of the league. But if a kid can compete at a true travel ball level and a family can afford it - it's a great development opportunity for a kid.

You hit that right on the head. Way to many poor travel teams today. You thump one of those teams and they get salty, especially parents. Don't blame the opposition blame the coach for entering tournaments that are way over there heads. Its truly sad. If you want to play big boy ball you better have a big boy team. Most those teams are community oriented. Cant win that way. For example the A's carry kids from
Jackson 4
Massillon 2
Marlington 2
Canton South 1
Chippewas 1
Bosrdman 1
Alliance 1
Green 1
Louisville 1
5 or 6 of these guys have played together for 5 years I believe.
The good thing is the older they get the weakest players mostly get weeded out. If your playing travel and your team is under 500% year in and year out it's time to play back down. Those poor kids are not getting better if anything they lose confidence and abilities. Sure doesn't help there high school programs either.

You hit that right on the head. Way to many poor travel teams today. You thump one of those teams and they get salty, especially parents. Don't blame the opposition blame the coach for entering tournaments that are way over there heads. Its truly sad. If you want to play big boy ball you better have a big boy team. Most those teams are community oriented. Cant win that way. For example the A's carry kids from
Jackson 4
Massillon 2
Marlington 2
Canton South 1
Chippewas 1
Bosrdman 1
Alliance 1
Green 1
Louisville 1
5 or 6 of these guys have played together for 5 years I believe.
The good thing is the older they get the weakest players mostly get weeded out. If your playing travel and your team is under 500% year in and year out it's time to play back down. Those poor kids are not getting better if anything they lose confidence and abilities. Sure doesn't help there high school programs either.

And they end up quitting ..There is nothing wrong with community oriented baseball, the more kids that play the better. But, I just don't think people realize what a true travel ball is (see your team above - that's a travel ball team.) it just drives me crazy when a dad brags about his son playing "travel ball" and it's really the SSBL version of community baseball. Again, there is nothing wrong that and kids can still get better and help their high school teams. But The A's you mentioned is a lot different than a typical community baseball team.

for most of the kids that play on a true travel ball team - their high school teams aren't near as good as their travel teams..

Any ways- let's play ball!!!

I've said that for years that the upper travel teams would beat most high school teams. That isn't a knock on high school ball just pretty much the truth. I agree with your statement on we need more kids playing period. To many quit do to so many reasons. Parents take away or limit the damn video games and for God sake make them go OUTSIDE and do something. My only rule growing up is be home when the street lights turn on. Dads get out and play catch with your sons and daughters. And dads please don't teach them the ways you were shown. Things have advanced. Get online and look up things. Proper ways to throw and hit. Don't laugh it's TRUE. This summer will be my 45th. Year coaching baseball and it amazes me how wrong we were in fundamentals years ago. Times have changed and coaching has changed. And for God sakes no curve balls to young . An easy way to know if your son is ready to start throwing on a limited basis curve balls is puberty. If they are getting body hair. Read, research and learn.

Hearing WB has 1 Freshman throwing in mid 80’s :Conrad and 4 Shophmores in the mid 80’s to low 90’s : Cunningham , Miszner , Hillyer , Egli . Their infield should solid but not sure who will take over at catcher this season ?

Last edited:
Hearing WB has 1 Freshman throwing in mid 80’s :Conrad and 4 Shophmores in the mid 80’s to low 90’s : Cunningham , Miszner , Hillyer , Egli . Their infield should solid but not sure who will take over at catcher this season ?

I promise you that there’s exactly 1kid in the EBC sitting anywhere close to 90 and that’s Bruni from alliance... good thing those slow mid 80 guys (sabatine and alezaus(sp))you had throwing for your league championship team last year have graduated so the sophomores throwing 90 can get some innings this spring ??♂️

4 sophomores mid 80' low 90's !!! Please you need your radar gun recalibrated. Or are these numbers just your educated guess. Not buying it sorry. :wallbang:

4 sophomores mid 80' low 90's !!! Please you need your radar gun recalibrated. Or are these numbers just your educated guess. Not buying it sorry. :wallbang:

Ok call me crazy an you can laugh ,but ask around you’ll hear what I’m hearing .
Your acting like it’s a huge secret these kids all know each other these days they know whose out there and what there capable of.