2019 Eastern Buckeye Conference

Any word on how the Minerva scrimmage went Saturday? Anyone else able to get outside and scrimmage?

I was there and have a lot of work to do. Lot's of new faces the and the 2018 seniors will be hard to replace, but overall they didn't look bad. I think the coaches still have a lot of decisions to make as far as positions. I don't think Sandy Valley was a full strength due to basketball so the results were deceiving, I think Minerva won 10-8. They pitched 4 or 5 kids and they will have to be real pitchers by hitting spots and use a lot of off speed stuff because I didn't see anyone that that can rely on velocity to blow kids a away. They did throw a lot of strikes and a couple had good breaking balls. I think they will struggle in conference play but it seems like the coaches are really into it and the team should improve as the year goes on.

Last edited:
I promise you that there’s exactly 1kid in the EBC sitting anywhere close to 90 and that’s Bruni from alliance... good thing those slow mid 80 guys (sabatine and alezaus(sp))you had throwing for your league championship team last year have graduated so the sophomores throwing 90 can get some innings this spring ♂️

I agree, Simons from Alliance may be 85 or so too but it's unlikely that anyone else in the EBC is close to that. If WB has than many kids throwing mid 80s to low 90s then should be one of the heavy favorites to win the state title..

Ok call me crazy an you can laugh ,but ask around you’ll hear what I’m hearing .
Your acting like it’s a huge secret these kids all know each other these days they know whose out there and what there capable of.

I am not saying you are crazy and not laughing. But it is really hard to believe that WB has 4 under classmen throwing mid 80s to low 90s. They have basically a D1 college pitching staff in their midst - for the next 3 years. I look forward to seeing that. Realistically if you have 4 kids in the high 70s to low 80s in high school you have a helluva staff. WB has 4 in the mid 80s to low 90s? That's amazing.

trust that those velocities could also be a pulldown or position velocity, and not a mound velocity. big difference between the two.

if a kid knows how to use his body and knows how to pitch, he might lose 5 or 6 mph from the pulldown to the mound. but most kids lose significant velocity between the two. 90/91 on a pulldown/position throw is closer to low 80's from the mound which is realistic for most league starters.

it's not unrealistic for freshmen and sophomores with strong arms to hit those 90+ mph from the infield or outfield with momentum, but to do it from the mound takes an entirely different skill set and body movements.

but, what do i know?

trust that those velocities could also be a pulldown or position velocity, and not a mound velocity. big difference between the two.

if a kid knows how to use his body and knows how to pitch, he might lose 5 or 6 mph from the pulldown to the mound. but most kids lose significant velocity between the two. 90/91 on a pulldown/position throw is closer to low 80's from the mound which is realistic for most league starters.

it's not unrealistic for freshmen and sophomores with strong arms to hit those 90+ mph from the infield or outfield with momentum, but to do it from the mound takes an entirely different skill set and body movements.

but, what do i know?

Makes sense- but regardless of the debate, what else does WB have coming back. It seems like they losing a lot of pitching and position players from last year. I know 333 mentioned some kids in an earlier post that I never heard of other than Cunningham and Hillyer from Football. What else do they have? I remember Lyons and Bates from years past - are they back??

Makes sense- but regardless of the debate, what else does WB have coming back. It seems like they losing a lot of pitching and position players from last year. I know 333 mentioned some kids in an earlier post that I never heard of other than Cunningham and Hillyer from Football. What else do they have? I remember Lyons and Bates from years past - are they back??[/QUOTE

Bates ,Reinghart ,Steal ,Buttler ,Walker ,Ballard , Mackin (sp?) are players I know that are returning. Lyons is not playing.

Last edited:
Makes sense- but regardless of the debate, what else does WB have coming back. It seems like they losing a lot of pitching and position players from last year. I know 333 mentioned some kids in an earlier post that I never heard of other than Cunningham and Hillyer from Football. What else do they have? I remember Lyons and Bates from years past - are they back??[/QUOTE

Bates ,Reinghart ,Steal ,Buttler ,Walker ,Ballard , Mackin (sp?) are players I know that are returning. Lyons is not playing.

WB is always good in baseball, I am sure they will be in the hunt like every other year.

Just found out Minerva is scrimmaging Glenoak today. This should give Minerva a pretty good idea of where they are at.. Sandy Valley was short a lot varsity player because of basketball tourney so that was a good tune up but the next 3 will be good ones. I believe Minerva scrimmages Dover and New Philadelphia next week too.

I left in the 5th wit GlenOak up 11-1. Minerva has a lot of work to do. I got spoiled by last year's senior class over the last 3 years and it seems like they are back to square 1. Lion fans will have to be very patient this year while the coaches figure out their personnel and establish a rotation...

Did any other EBC teams get a scrimmage in??

Dover 7, Minerva 0. It's early but not a lot of threats at the plate for Minerva so far. I think we got 1 hit late in the game and some kids looked way overmatched but Dover is usually a darn good team. Our pitching was ok, I think we pitched a sophomore and freshman yesterday and both struggled but also had some good moments. They are definitely not EBC varsity caliber pitchers but they have potential. Scrimmage New Philadelphia Weds and hopefully some upper classmen pitch so we get set up for league play. I think the team will improve but it's going to difficult to compete with the upper half of the EBC. My synopsis on the team holds true, they are going to have a really difficult time replacing last years seniors, the kids are working hard and the coaches seem to be doing great. I can see them really struggling early in the year but I can also seem them improving as the year goes on.

Marlington rolled over Field 8-2...marlington had some new comers play pretty well last night including a couple freshmen that will get major varsity time...even with the loss of the POY Zach dezenzo(currently big ten freshman of the week) marlington is much deeper as both a team and pitching staff...some key kids hit the ball consistently and the Dukes will be a tough out come tournament time

Marlington rolled over Field 8-2...marlington had some new comers play pretty well last night including a couple freshmen that will get major varsity time...even with the loss of the POY Zach dezenzo(currently big ten freshman of the week) marlington is much deeper as both a team and pitching staff...some key kids hit the ball consistently and the Dukes will be a tough out come tournament time

I look forward to seeing them... Even though they have experience are they still pretty young? Will be dangerous for a number of years!!

I look forward to seeing them... Even though they have experience are they still pretty young? Will be dangerous for a number of years!!

Still very young ,they will at most have 2 seniors on the field every day , only 1 pitcher is a senior

Much better showing for the Lions with an 8-2 win over New Philly. They pitched 2 seniors, Slentz and Hertel and they looked pretty good and they hit the ball well. I don't know if New Philly was at full strength because of the basketball tournament run, but the lions still looked much better.. Defense was good and the coaches seem to be settling in on a line up and a defense. the best thing is we are seeing improvement from game to game. I don't thing they have the horses to compete with Alliance and Marlington but if they can just keep getting better.

I also heard the JV team is pretty good and has a lot of good arms.

It's early but I assume WB folks are encouraged about this- South Range is the defending D3 state champs so I bet they still have a pretty good team..

For the first time on the field WB played very well . I was told their infield was flawless and their pithing was solid . SR will have a good season they hit the ball well but Wb came up with the outs when they were needed the most . SR does return some very talented players off their state title team ,Two of which are currently OSU commits .

For the first time on the field WB played very well . I was told their infield was flawless and their pithing was solid . SR will have a good season they hit the ball well but Wb came up with the outs when they were needed the most . SR does return some very talented players off their state title team ,Two of which are currently OSU commits .

I think a lot of people assumed that WB would be down since they lost so many players and a lot of pitching from last year. But it sounds like they are reloading instead of rebuilding. WB is always solid though..

I think a lot of people assumed that WB would be down since they lost so many players and a lot of pitching from last year. But it sounds like they are reloading instead of rebuilding. WB is always solid though..

Hope so ,could of been just lucky . We will see tomorrow with their season opener at 1:00 against Girard

Hope so ,could of been just lucky . We will see tomorrow with their season opener at 1:00 against Girard

I doubt it was luck. Get "lucky" 18 times and you may end with an EBC title!! Good luck to WB and all of the EBC teams. Dress warm!!!!

Minerva opens with Canton Central Catholic.

CCC 12 Minerva 0. I attended the JV game which was 16-0 CCC. But i heard the varsity CCC pitcher had perfect game until a 2 out double in last inning by Common. I heard there were a Lot of walks by the pitchers, a sophomore and a freshman, and some sloppy defense. Hopefully just some first game jitters for a pretty young team against a pretty good team. Nowhere to go but up.

League play opens up tomorrow. I know Minerva and Alliance open up. Does Marlington and WB open? That will be a good one!!