2019 D7 Region 25

STA with the big win tonight. They are definitely in the playoff conversation.

After wasting way to much time on this tonight, here’s my very rough playoff projections: (this will be funny to look back on in week 10 for sure- and definitely wouldn’t take any of this with anything more than a grain of salt).

1-4 I actually didn’t go through these teams as I think they are pretty safe to make it and likely top seeds at this point: Lucas, CH, JFK, Independence.

As for the rest:
5- Danville (6-4) 9.85
6- McDonald (5-5) 9.35
7- TCC (6-4) 8.55
8- South Central (6-4) 8.25

9- STA (5-4) 7.95
10- Leetonia (7-3) 7.8
11- Jackson-Milton (6-4) 7.65

Look for Wellsville to be in this conversation. 2-0 and Got a win over a D5 school on Friday and have 6 games with larger schools left on the schedule.

Look for Wellsville to be in this conversation. 2-0 and Got a win over a D5 school on Friday and have 6 games with larger schools left on the schedule.
I almost did them, but I’m gonna wait for the Leetonia game. I don’t see the loser of that game being able to get in without a big upset

Last edited:
I almost did them, but I’m gonna wait for the Leetonia game. I don’t see the loser of that game being able to get in without a big upset

Love coach Hulea. But that local guy on the radio almost makes me root against leetonia. Potesta is his name. Total homer/clueless guy.

Lucas
Cuyahoga Hts
Aquinas
JFK
Independence
McDonald
South Central
Wellsville
Danville
Toronto
also Lowellville, Jackson-Milton, Richmond Hts, Tusky CC, Malvern, Valley Christian, Leetonia, Windham, Strasburg

Can anyone give some insight as to how St. Thomas is an all black football team all of the sudden? ?
I went to the game with a buddy from east canton and that seemed to be the question everyone in the stands was asking. I can only assume that with the communities that’s are in proximity with the school, canton, alliance, and plain, that the demographics have something to do with it.

I was surprised they won the game vs east canton

Can anyone give some insight as to how St. Thomas is an all black football team all of the sudden? ?

Its not all of a sudden. We have had diversity through the years, some years are just less diverse than others. Beating EC was a huge win for us. I'm reluctant to say we're back on people's radar yet though.

I know that some of the players played for McKinley last season, is it safe to assume they have to sit after 5 games or did they "move" to Louisville?

Tough games for R25 teams this week & next...

9/13
D6 (2-0) Northmor @ #5 (2-0) Lucas
D4 (2-0) Girard @ #10 (2-0) JFK
D2 (1-1) John Marshall @ #11 (1-0) Cuyahoga Heights
(2-0) Independence @ D5 (1-1) Manchester

9/19
D5 Canton CC @ STA

9/20
#11 Cuyahoga Heights @ #1 D5 Kirtland (Ouch)

9/21
D5 Garfield @ #10 JFK

Last edited:
I wish they could but they will never be able to do that because they are a Columbus City School and are stuck in the city league forever.
Columbus City Schools needs to do “Tier I” and “Tier II” flights for football and basketball. There are two schools, Briggs (a D2!) and Linden, that are in grave danger of not fielding varsity football teams next year. Linden I believe only has 15 and Briggs has less than 20.

Put Northland, Beechcroft, Eastmoor, Marion-Franklin, Walnut Ridge, Whetstone and Mifflin in one tier, and then put Independence, Briggs, West, South, L-M, East and Africentric in the second tier. Or put Centennial into the first tier and then maybe shift Mifflin down?

I’d say pretty unlikely. Looking at the 2-0 teams, there’s some tough matchups:

Independence at Manchester
Girard at JFK
South Central at Keystone
Northmor at Lucas
Independence should be able to handle Manchester. Manchester is not close to what they have been in past, but the BDs will have to fight through the France stadium "stuff" (bad lighting, drunk guys cursing you out 3' behind bench, intimidated refs). One of the last/best homefield advantages left in Ohio HS football.

Tough games for R25 teams this week & next...

9/13
D6 (2-0) Northmor @ #5 (2-0) Lucas
D4 (1-1) Girard @ #10 (2-0) JFK
D2 (1-1) John Marshall @ #11 (1-0) Cuyahoga Heights
(2-0) Independence @ D5 (1-1) Manchester

9/19
D5 Canton CC @ STA

9/20
#11 Cuyahoga Heights @ #1 D5 Kirtland (Ouch)

9/21
D5 Garfield @ #10 JFK
Girard is 2-0

SCC's roster numbers last year (2018):

Sr. - 10
Jr. - 11
So. - 2
Fr. - 5

If the numbers stay the same that would be only 18 varsity players for 2019. I would assume they will pick up some extra players for this season.

CCHS has about 37 players on the roster currently. They have a lot of seniors and then a lot of youngsters. They will improve as the season goes, as the young kids get more comfortable. If they get to the playoffs, they are the kind of team that could bite you in the if overlooked

CCHS has about 37 players on the roster currently. They have a lot of seniors and then a lot of youngsters. They will improve as the season goes, as the young kids get more comfortable. If they get to the playoffs, they are the kind of team that could bite you in the if overlooked

I was under the impression they lost a lot from the playoff team last year, and also had a number of student transfer out. Is that not true?

I was under the impression they lost a lot from the playoff team last year, and also had a number of student transfer out. Is that not true?

The team is younger now. They graduated some big kids and multi-year starters, but the reports of their demise were greatly exaggerated and mostly perpetuated by those suffering from a personal and chronic case of butthurt

The team is younger now. They graduated some big kids and multi-year starters, but the reports of their demise were greatly exaggerated and mostly perpetuated by those suffering from a personal and chronic case of butthurt

That seems to happen a lot in the valley. Good luck to the Crusaders the rest of the season.

Nice to see F50 updated to a completed week 2. Will be nice to use his numbers to do playoff projections.

As for tonight, from what I’ve seen:

-Manchester throttled Independence
-McDonald got a crucial win over Crestview
-Wellsville losing to Malvern was a tough loss to their playoff hopes.
-STA continues to look good.

Late night score Lucas fell to a tough Northmor squad last night. Also Danville losing really makes it hard to see them being able to get in with their remaining schedule unless they pull an upset.

Saturday we got JFK hosting Girard in a tough rivalry game for the Eagles. Also TCC has a game against Caldwell that’s a crucial game they’ll need to win for playoff purposes.

What was the story behind Northmor/Lucas? Weather play a role? What time did the game finish?

TCC should beat Caldwell. Ridgewood, SV and EC in three straight weeks is going to be tough but TCC can definitely pull a 6-4.

Here’s my playoff projections utilizing the numbers from F50, a site I highly recommend to check out, very cool:

1: Cuyahoga Heights- 21.08 (8-1, L to Kirtland)

2: St Thomas Aquinas- 15.41 (8-2. L to CCC and Rootstown. 12.61 and likely on the road with a loss also to JFK)

3: JFK- 15.27 (7-3, L to Garfield and STA. 18.6 with W over STA)

4: Lucas- 15.10 (7-3, L to St Charles and LCC)

5: Independence- 14.31 (7-3, L to Beachwood and CH).

6: McDonald- 11.75 (6-4, L to WR and Springfield)

7: SCC- 9.84 (7-3, L to Lucas).

8: Jackson-Milton- 9.67 (6-4, L to WR, Springfield, Ridge, Mcdonald).

9: South Central- 8.2 (6-4, L to St. Paul, C-view, and Plymouth)

10: Wellsville- 7.05 (5-5, L to Southern, Columbiana, United, EL)

Now obviously it’s really early and there’s so much football to be played. There’s a bunch of teams not listed still in realistic contention for a spot (Leetonia, Toronto, TCC to name a couple) and I wouldn’t be surprised to see one end up getting in.

That said there are a few takeaways: -The top 5 projected seeds are all in great shape and would need to lose a couple games projected to win to be in danger.

-McDonald just needs to take care of their business against the MVAC teams they are favorites over. A win over WR and they would be in the mix for a top seed.

The rest at this point is a free for all

Last edited:
Top Couple teams have tough games this week and could easily drop a game. CH, JFK, STA all look like possible L this week. Probably wont hurt them much.

What was the story behind Northmor/Lucas? Weather play a role? What time did the game finish?

TCC should beat Caldwell. Ridgewood, SV and EC in three straight weeks is going to be tough but TCC can definitely pull a 6-4.
Defensive battle. Game ended at 11pm or so. Ton of rain came, field was a little sloppy. Lucas turned the ball over once in the Endzone. Northmor threw a pic as well. Game came down to a missed EP.