2019 D2/R6

It should be noted that Avon lost their star senior RB, Nick Perusek, for the season. They also lost him last year for the playoffs (as well as a large chunk of the regular season), so this is not new territory for Avon. Next man up, though Nick had the explosive gamebreaking ability needed against a team like Benny.

Wow! You must know Erich from the old Greenhills days. Great guy. Avon is lucky to have him as AD.
Lol you got it.

Avon AD Erich Frombach is a Greenhills HS Grad.
Greenhills and Forest Park merged to form Winton Woods HS.
Erich would never say it but he was a great player at GHS....even better guy.

I keep hoping for an Avon / Winton Woods D2 final.
Came close a couple times but one or both lost along the way.

Good luck to Avon always and they will always be the Fighting Frombachs to me.

Last edited:
Interesting region for sure. Which of the top teams would want to have to face a Barberton or Wadsworth team in the first round? Those last couple of spots could be a battle.

Interesting region for sure. Which of the top teams would want to have to face a Barberton or Wadsworth team in the first round? Those last couple of spots could be a battle.
My best guess would be 1 Avon vs 8 Barberton
2 Avon Lake vs 7 Olmsted Falls
And then a log jam at 3-6 with Brecksville, Wadsworth, Maple Heights, and Benedictine

Kind of a flawed Region, each team is nice but none are really a title contender. Through week 6 Avon would be the closest to a favorite but do they really have the team speed to keep up with a team of better athletes like Maple, Benedictine or Barberton? On the flip side do those teams have the line depth to match up in inclement November weather with an Avon or Avon Lake? Those Southwestern Conference teams will sort themselves out in the final weeks of the season and we will get a better feel for just how good they are heading into week 11. Benedictine probably has the most complete team in the Region but they only play 16-18 kids so most of their players don't leave the field much during the game which is a huge disadvantage when facing these deeper Div 2 rosters. I want to say Wadsworth is a team to watch but they have yet to beat a team that will be in the playoffs and while just a scrimmage their results against Barberton in an August scrimmage were not very good. Speaking of Barberton their result against a good but not great Aurora (Only a 1 point win against Padua) and a likely L against Massillon doesn't scare off many folks. I will reserve judgement on Maple until they play Cleveland Heights week 10. All of this means it could be anyone's title to win.

Regardless the Region 6 winner will be a 3-4 TD underdog against either Hoban or Massillon in the Semi Final game.

Kind of a flawed Region, each team is nice but none are really a title contender. Through week 6 Avon would be the closest to a favorite but do they really have the team speed to keep up with a team of better athletes like Maple, Benedictine or Barberton? On the flip side do those teams have the line depth to match up in inclement November weather with an Avon or Avon Lake? Those Southwestern Conference teams will sort themselves out in the final weeks of the season and we will get a better feel for just how good they are heading into week 11. Benedictine probably has the most complete team in the Region but they only play 16-18 kids so most of their players don't leave the field much during the game which is a huge disadvantage when facing these deeper Div 2 rosters. I want to say Wadsworth is a team to watch but they have yet to beat a team that will be in the playoffs and while just a scrimmage their results against Barberton in an August scrimmage were not very good. Speaking of Barberton their result against a good but not great Aurora (Only a 1 point win against Padua) and a likely L against Massillon doesn't scare off many folks. I will reserve judgement on Maple until they play Cleveland Heights week 10. All of this means it could be anyone's title to win.

Regardless the Region 6 winner will be a 3-4 TD underdog against either Hoban or Massillon in the Semi Final game.
I’d say Avon and Benedictine are the top 2 (Avon Lake a close 3). I think the Bengals have more depth than you give them credit for. I counted 24 kids that play on either side of the ball not counting anyone on special teams. I’d like to see the Bengals hang on to the 3 seed so the Avon Benedictine game can be week 13.

A game to keep an eye on this week (especially for you Barberton fans) would be the Wooster Mansfield game.
If Wooster can find a way to win they could jump into that 8 spot.
Good call. I didn't think Woo was up to it, but congrats to them. If they win out, they will be in Avon for Week 11. Ashland is capable of beating them, of course, but the Generals will be favored and are very likely playoff bound.

Unless some major upsets occur, Amherst and Barberton will likely be on the outside of the playoffs. But...it took a major upset by Wooster to make it happen, so maybe Amherst and Barberton will have their moment soon.

Right now, however, it's not looking good for the Magics and Comets, while the Generals are feeling pretty good.

Some big games coming up in Week 9 and 10 that will shape the region:

Week 9:

Avon at Olmsted Falls
Padua at Benedictine

Week 10

Amherst at Avon
Olmsted Falls at Avon Lake
Brecksville at Wadsworth

Avon Lake is going to win this region. Very impressive defense, and the team gets better every week

Avon Lake is going to win this region. Very impressive defense, and the team gets better every week
It's very possible, but all teams have improved at this point...including Avon. The Eagles passing game is clicking now that the QB has some experience under his belt, unlike Week 1 vs AL. I need to see O Falls play AL and Avon before I can see which SWC team is the biggest threat in the region.

I still think this is a flawed Region with a lot of good but no great teams. Here is how I would rank the contending teams on ability to win the Region:

Avon
Benedictine
Avon Lake

Barberton
Wadsworth
Maple Heights
Olmsted Falls
Brecksville

Wooster
Padua
Amherst

Here are the remaining schedules for the the top 10 teams thru week 8.

#1 8-0 Avon
A 7-1 Olmsted Falls
H 6-2 Amherst

#2 7-1 Olmsted Falls
H 8-0 Avon
A 7-1 Avon Lake

#3 7-1 Avon Lake
A 4-4 N. Olmsted
H 7-1 Olmsted Falls

#4 6-2 Wadsworth
H 2-6 Twinsburg
H 6-2 Brecksville

#5 6-2 Brecksville
H 4-4 N. Royalton
A 6-2 Wadsworth

#6 6-2 Maple Hts
H 1-7 Warrensville Hts
H 7-1 Cleveland Hts

#7 7-1 Benedictine
H 4-4 Padua
A 1-7 Walsh Jesuit

#8 5-3 Wooster
H 0-8 Firestone
A 3-5 Ashland

#9 6-2 Amherst
H 2-6 N Ridgeville
A 8-0 Avon

#10 5-3 Barberton
A 1-7 Tallmadge
H 5-3 Kent Roosevelt

I still think this is a flawed Region with a lot of good but no great teams. Here is how I would rank the contending teams on ability to win the Region:

Avon
Benedictine
Avon Lake

Barberton
Wadsworth
Maple Heights
Olmsted Falls
Brecksville

Wooster
Padua
Amherst
Barberton won't make playoffs lol.

I guess we will find out about Olmsted Falls as they make a run through the Avons the last 2 games of the year.

Big game of the week in Region 6 is Brecksville @ Wadsworth. Both look like they can score and both look like they can have issues stopping other teams, the guys in Youngstown might have the total at 80. Winner probably gets the 3 seed and avoids the Avon/Benny side of the bracket so a lot will be on the line this Friday. Olmsted Fall @ Avon Lake is also a nice game but I am thinking the AL looks to pitch another shut out, the Shoremen defense could be the hottest unit heading into the playoffs.

Looks like we’re almost set

1. Avon
2. Avon Lake
3. Brecksville/Wadsworth
4. Benedictine
5. Brecksville/Wadsworth
6. Olmsted Falls
7. Maple Heights
8. Wooster

Eyes on the Brecksville Wadsworth, Maple Cleveland Heights, and Wooster Ashland games

Here is the remaining schedule for the the top 10 teams in region 6 .

#1 9-0 Avon
H 7-2 Amherst

#2 8-1 Avon Lake
H 7-2 Olmsted Fall

#3 8-1 Benedictine
A 1-8 Walsh Jesuit

#4 7-2 Wadsworth
H 7-2 Brecksville

#5 7-2 Brecksville
A 7-2 Wadsworth

#6 7-2 Olmsted Falls
A 8-1 Avon Lake

#7 7-2 Maple Hts
H 8-1 Cleveland Hts

#8 7-2 Amherst
A 9-0 Avon

#9 6-3 Wooster
A 4-5 Ashland

#10 6-3 Barberton
H 5-4 Kent Roosevelt

Not that all the games do not have playoff implications, however, there will be some scoreboard watching for these games:
Avon vs Amherst - an Amherst win here "upsets the apple cart".
Avon Lake vs Olmsted Falls - An Olmsted Fall victory does the same.
Wadsworth vs Brecksville - Winner should clam the 3rd seed while the loser settles for seed number 5.
Maple Hts vs Cleveland Hts - A Maple Hts loss opens the door for Wooster or Barberton, predicated on those two teams taking winning their own game.

Last edited:
#1 Avon
#8 Wooster

#4 Benedictine
#5 Brecksville

#2 Avon Lake
#7 Maple Hts

#3 Wadsworth
#6 Olmsted Falls

1st round, going chalk - Avon, Benedictine, Avon Lake & Wadsworth

Last edited: