2019 Cleveland Browns

BR1986FB

Figured I'd get this started....

Future looks very bright with 11 draft picks and $80+ million in cap space. I do not think they will use all of these draft picks. The WR crop in this draft is pretty weak. I think their #1 is currently on someone else's roster.

Defense needs an upgrade in the front 7 and another corner would be nice.

I anticipate Baker, assuming he stays healthy, breaking Brian Sipe's team record for yardage (4132) and TD's (30) with relative ease.

Not to mention a head coaching search...

List of potential coaching candidates from Ohio.com:

Gregg Williams, Browns interim coach

Background: Veteran defensive coordinator went 5-3 after replacing Hue Jackson for second half of 2018 season and was 17-31 as Buffalo Bills head coach (2001-03).

Freddie Kitchens, Browns offensive coordinator

Background: Entered NFL coaching ranks in 2006, guiding tight ends, quarterbacks and running backs before thriving as first-time play caller in final eight games of 2018.

The Browns have reportedly requested interviews with the following:

Kevin Stefanski, Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator

Background: Vikings assistant since 2006 coached quarterbacks before taking control as play caller after firing of former Browns OC John DeFilippo on Dec. 11.

Dan Campbell, New Orleans Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach

Background: Former NFL tight end went 5-7 as interim coach of Miami Dolphins in 2015.

Brian Flores, New England Patriots linebackers coach

Background: Became Patriots’ de facto defensive coordinator in 2018 after Matt Patricia took Detroit Lions’ head coaching job.

Nick Sirianni, Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator

Background: Former Mount Union wide receiver and defensive backs coach (2004-05) in first season as the Colts’ OC previously worked as offensive assistant with Chargers (2013-16) and Kansas City Chiefs (2009-12).

Matt Eberflus, Colts defensive coordinator

Background: Former Toledo linebacker and assistant coach (1992-2000) became Colts’ DC in 2018 after stints with Dallas Cowboys (2016-17 passing game coordinator/linebackers; 2011-15 linebackers) and Browns (2009-10 linebackers).

Others to watch:

Mike McCarthy, former Green Bay Packers coach

Background: Super Bowl champion in 2010 season fired by Packers on Dec. 2 after going 125-77-2, plus 10-8 in playoffs, during nearly 13 seasons on the job.

Jim Caldwell, former Detroit Lions and Colts coach

Background: Went 36-30, including 0-2 in playoffs, as Lions head coach (2014-17) and 28-24, including 2-2 in postseason, as Colts head coach (2009-11).

Mike Munchak, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach

Background: Hall of Fame guard went 22-26 as Tennessee Titans head coach (2011-13) before guiding Steelers O-line for past five seasons.

Adam Gase, former Miami Dolphins coach

Background: Fired by Dolphins Monday after going 23-26, including 0-1 in playoffs, former OC of Chicago Bears (2015) and Denver Broncos (2013-14) received interest from Browns owner Jimmy Haslam in past.

Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator

Background: Another coach previously courted by Browns in Haslam era, Canton McKinley High School graduate backed out of agreement last year to become Colts head coach and returned for 10th season as Patriots OC. Went 11-17 as Broncos head coach (2009-10).

Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma coach

Background: Baker Mayfield’s college play caller who went 12-2 in both seasons as head coach has said he plans to stay with Sooners.

Matt Campbell, Iowa State coach

Background: Perry High School graduate, former Toledo head coach and Mount Union OC declined interview request from New York Jets, per NFL Network.

Bruce Arians, former Arizona Cardinals coach

Background: After insisting only Browns could lure him out of retirement, former Cleveland OC told NFL Network he’d listen to Tampa Bay Buccaneers about their opening.

Jimmy needs to stay out of it. But, like others of his ilk, he probably can't put a halt on his ego to let the people who actually know something do their jobs.

Jimmy needs to stay out of it. But, like others of his ilk, he probably can't put a halt on his ego to let the people who actually know something do their jobs.

What's funny is that when Jammie's owned the team he took a very hands off approach and people ed. Now Haslam gets over involved and people still gripe. Haslam claimed he wanted to model this team after the Steelers but it's been the farthest thing from it... one plus is that the Browns don't harbor rapists.

What's funny is that when Jammie's owned the team he took a very hands off approach and people ed. Now Haslam gets over involved and people still gripe. Haslam claimed he wanted to model this team after the Steelers but it's been the farthest thing from it... one plus is that the Browns don't harbor rapists.

The hope is that, now that he has competent people running the franchise, he will stay out of evaluations. But, reports today say " Haslam shows interest in
Gace," which might mean that he wants to hop on the winning bandwagon and get involved.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/12/31/cleveland-browns-jimmy-haslam-interested-adam-gase/

Just hire Kitchens. He’s already headed towards a HC gig probably next off-season, just get him now. Clearly has a good rapport with Baker and knows how to use the talent on roster offensively. Just make sure he gets a good DC who’s been around for awhile, preferably with HC experience, that can help him along

Just hire Kitchens. He’s already headed towards a HC gig probably next off-season, just get him now. Clearly has a good rapport with Baker and knows how to use the talent on roster offensively. Just make sure he gets a good DC who’s been around for awhile, preferably with HC experience, that can help him along

Second half adjustments since Kitchens stepped up have been so much better than what we have seen for decades it is absurd. Baker and Freddie need to stay together. I kind of want Freddie to stay as OC as Baker develops.

That's why I'd want to give Bruce Arians and Kitchens both 2+2 contracts transitioning BA from HC to consultant and Freddie OC to HC. Give both ownership and coaching staff security and keep Kitchens here. If the two men have a good enough relationship, both want to be here, and have the type of egos that it would seem, it should work. Let Freddie stay focused on the offense and Baker, and grow slowly into the added HC responsibilities. They will not see the kind of competition that peers would, and Arians will assume the mentor's role well.

Second half adjustments since Kitchens stepped up have been so much better than what we have seen for decades it is absurd. Baker and Freddie need to stay together. I kind of want Freddie to stay as OC as Baker develops.

That's why I'd want to give Bruce Arians and Kitchens both 2+2 contracts transitioning BA from HC to consultant and Freddie OC to HC. Give both ownership and coaching staff security and keep Kitchens here. If the two men have a good enough relationship, both want to be here, and have the type of egos that it would seem, it should work.

I wouldn't have a huge issue with Arians, in the short term, but just put a stipulation in his contract saying "no 3-4 defense."

I'm not confident Kitchen's ready, but I worry we'll lose him if he doesn't get the job. Whoever gets the job should be able to compile his own staff and top candidates may not want the job with the stipulation Kitchen stays.

Rams game is guaranteed a prime time game. Pats game at least a 4 o'clock game if not primetime. At least one of the games with Pittsburgh/Baltimore a primetime as well.

2019 opponents:

Home
Ravens
Bengals
Steelers
Dolphins
Bills
Seahawks
Rams
Titans

Road
Ravens
Bengals
Steelers
Jets
Patriots
Cardinals
49ers
Broncos

On paper this is a much more manageable schedule than 2018.

Saw on Twitter this morning that Jarvis Landry tweeted @ Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown about a 3-way conversation. I would vote a resounding "NO" to having those two guys on the team.

I'll stick with Chubb/Duke for sure at RB, so 100% no Leveon. I could consider taking AB for a couple years, but he is almost 31. Both are talented but prima donna "me" guys. No thanks.

Saw on Twitter this morning that Jarvis Landry tweeted @ Leveon Bell and Antonio Brown about a 3-way conversation. I would vote a resounding "NO" to having those two guys on the team.

I'll stick with Chubb/Duke for sure at RB, so 100% no Leveon. I could consider taking AB for a couple years, but he is almost 31. Both are talented but prima donna "me" guys. No thanks.

Definitely don't want them becoming 'Steelers West.' I mean this in multiple ways. Obviously, those two would be former Steelers but more importantly, Tomlin has no control over that locker room.

Mayfield is kind of a polarizing personality. as is Landry. As an organization, you don't want too many "characters" on your team that can't be managed. You have a Bell and an AB, along with Landry, come contract time, everyone's going to be ing that they want the ball.

Besides, I'd rather them go after an OBJ and keep Chubb as the workhorse (younger, less tread on the tires).

No thanks to OBJ too. He's another WR wide receiver diva that can be bad for a team. Between him doing silly **** like taking pictures in bed with Instagram models with substances in background and sniping and whining about teammates, he's not someone I want around the young Browns.

It will be interesting to see where Bell goes.

AB is NOT going anywhere.

He's just the kind of egotistical genius that goes home.

So, do the Steelers make a stand after Tomlin's enabling or does AB cave and come back? If he comes back, is that the kind of guy you want with the team?

I don't see this ending well for the Steelers regardless of how it ends. You either lose a star for less than true value or you have a diva malcontent in the locker room.

He's just the kind of egotistical genius that goes home.

So, do the Steelers make a stand after Tomlin's enabling or does AB cave and come back? If he comes back, is that the kind of guy you want with the team?

I don't see this ending well for the Steelers regardless of how it ends. You either lose a star for less than true value or you have a diva malcontent in the locker room.

It is a long offseason and all will be fine next season.

MT seems to be finally putting his foot down. People in general do what they can get away with and MT stops allowing malcontent behavior, more than likely it stems the tide and the steelers come back with AB at WR again.

Interesting....Browns not allowing Kitchen to interview for other OC opens. This says, to me, that he's staying in some capacity. It would be a d!ck-like move by the Browns to refuse to let him interview for another role and then release him.