2019 Bengals

People weren't sold on Mahomes or Allen or Jackson or most of the recent 1st round QB picks either. It just seems like someting is changing fast in the NFL with respect to these high draft pick QB's. First they're very good right out of the gate and second they can be immediately inserted into the starting line-up. And they come CHEAP!
Lol, lumping Allen in with Mahomes and Jackson. Nice try.

Off the top of my head let's just look at the last few years:

2017: Mahomes & Watson are great and the jury is still out on Turbisky.

2018: Jackson, Allen, Mayfield & Darnold are all on a path to being very good to great. Only Josh Rosen appears to be a bust.

2019: Jones of the Giants looks like he's going to be good. The jury is still out on Haskins.

So over the last 3 years of 1st round QB picks only Josh Rosen is a proven bust. And IMO the worst case scenario is that Haskins & Turbisky will join him though I suspect one of these 2 will end up having a nice career.

Drafting Burrow is the ONLY rational move for the Bengals to make. IMO of course.

This discussion is interesting, and I agree with most of what you say. I did notice you spelled the Bears QB name wrong. It is "TurdBiscuit". The jury is coming back on him, thumbs down.

As a Browns fan, I am hoping the Bengals screw up and don't take Burrow - he seems like he will be really good pretty quickly.

Left out the 2019 top pick, Murray, who had a very solid rookie season.

Good catch. I knew I had left someone out.

As for Allen, my point was that there was way more controversy regarding Allen then there is for Burrow. Ditto for Jackson & Mahomes. Several teams that needed QB's passed on Mahomes.

And for the record, the Bills offense that Allen was thrown into as a starter in 2018 was worse in every way than next years Bengal's offense is expected to be. And Allen still had a positive impact on the Bills in 2018. I would expect Burrow to do the same for the Bengal's next year.

And I'll even leave you some GOTCHA material - by the end of next year Allen will be one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL.

Good catch. I knew I had left someone out.

As for Allen, my point was that there was way more controversy regarding Allen then there is for Burrow. Ditto for Jackson & Mahomes. Several teams that needed QB's passed on Mahomes.

And for the record, the Bills offense that Allen was thrown into as a starter in 2018 was worse in every way than next years Bengal's offense is expected to be. And Allen still had a positive impact on the Bills in 2018. I would expect Burrow to do the same for the Bengal's next year.

And I'll even leave you some GOTCHA material - by the end of next year Allen will be one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL.
Yeah, you mentioned that before. Funny joke!

I don't think Tim Couch was as bad as what some people remember him to be. Those first few years for the expansion Browns he got absolutely pummeled behind weak offensive lines much like David Carr did for the expansion Texans, and he was often plagued by injuries. Both of those guys may have had a very different career quality and longevity if they weren't injected into poor situations.

The Bengals should draft Burrow, but they need to have a couple significant upgrades to the offensive line for him to have any early success. Short of adding a couple guys on top of Jonah Williams getting healthy, Burrow needs to sit for most of the year while Dalton or some other tackling dummy gets pummeled.

Last edited:
I don't think Tim Couch was as bad as what some people remember him to be. Those first few years for the expansion Browns he got absolutely pummeled behind weak offensive lines much like David Carr did for the expansion Texans, and he was often plagued by injuries. Both of those guys may have had very different career quality and longevity if they weren't injected into poor situations.

The Bengals should draft Burrow, but they need to have a couple significant upgrades to the offensive line for him to have any early success. Short of adding a couple guys on top of Jonah Williams getting healthy, Burrow needs to sit for most of the year while Dalton or some other tackling dummy gets pummeled.
I don’t think this Bengals team warrants comparison to the expansion Browns or Carr’s Texans. First round QBs who are expected to be franchise QBs start now. They are better prepared and many already play in NFL systems.

I don’t think this Bengals team warrants comparison to the expansion Browns or Carr’s Texans. First round QBs who are expected to be franchise QBs start now. They are better prepared and many already play in NFL systems.

The Bengals have some talent but they are horrendous at a few position groups, offensively the line is by far their Achilles heal. They aren't magically going to get better with a rookie QB and I don't have any faith in Mike Brown to make an investment in upgrades up front.

The Bengals have some talent but they are horrendous at a few position groups, offensively the line is by far their Achilles heal. They aren't magically going to get better with a rookie QB and I don't have any faith in Mike Brown to make an investment in upgrades up front.
Who said anything about magic? If Green comes back healthy, #1 LT comes back healthy, better health on the OL and a couple upgrades, there’s no reason Burrow shouldn’t start.

No, now if he doesn't like Goetta, then the ell with him :oops:

Cajun's Boudain = cheap Kraut's goetta. Scraps and fat and spices and cheap grain filler. He's ready for 'Nati if he had two years of LSU cafeteria, and ready to get squished behind a crap O-line, sadly..... Hopefully his short ribs are healed up by mini-camp.

Joe Burrow hand size measured only 9 inches at NFL combine. Andy Dalton who Dave Lapham criticizes for having small hands has 9.5" hands which is average for an NFL QB. Drew Brees by comparison has 10.25 hands. Something the Bengals should be concerned about ?

So we keep hearing reports on both sides about this. Bengals need to be careful about this one. Need to sit down and have a real conversation with him and see where his heart is. If we end up in a Eli Manning type situation I don't trust this front office to do the right thing.

How many times does this have to be debunked? it is a media manufactured and driven narrative that continues for no other reason than to give talking heads something to talk about.

How many times does this have to be debunked? it is a media manufactured and driven narrative that continues for no other reason than to give talking heads something to talk about.

New York media, the home of all of the talk shows, can't stand the idea of a player of his notoriety playing in what they refer to as " flyover country." They can't believe that anyone would actually consent to playing anywhere but New York, Boston, LA, or Dallas. Hence, the rumors.