2019 Akron City Series Football

The Plain Dealer has the Dragons ranked number 8 in Div 3.

8. Akron East

2018 finish:
9-3, regional semifinalist

About the Dragons: Coach Marques Hayes' program just made its second playoff appearance in three years and school history. East also has more D-I recruits than any team in Akron not named Hoban, led by Pitt commit Bangally Kamara, Cincinnati-bound cornerback Deshawn Jones and defensive end Tariq Williamson (Toledo).

How many players did East poach from Ellet this year? I love the one kid who committed from "East" to Central Michigan was wearing an Ellet jersey in his commitment post

How many players did East poach from Ellet this year? I love the one kid who committed from "East" to Central Michigan was wearing an Ellet jersey in his commitment post
I know they picked up two really good multi sport athletes from Firestone QB George Rozier and DB Sean Gates. The first was Firestones best returning wrestler and the second was their best returning track athlete.

Buchtel's Black & White scrimmage will be Saturday at 1 pm, right after the West Akron Parade.

Blame them?
Why would anyone with a hint of talent want to play for Shuman/Yost? They've been a coaching joke for 40 years.
Time for the Ellet community to quit hanging on to excuses and mediocrity.

You can only play with what you have, when the East Akron faithfull were mad at Hayes because he got the job over someone the East community wanted, they sent their kids to Ellet and they went to the playoffs 2 years in a row. Marquise Bridges was there, I can't remember the others. It was right after Aaron Male graduated.

Would be nice to see change at ellet. Never understood how a successful pewee program sending kids to national championship etc never transcends into the older level. Alot of the time they lose kids to lake,st v ,hoban and probably east. Cannot really nlame the kids or the parents. They got one shot at the game and they wanna win. The more wins the more looks plain and simple.

The city should be interesting this year. I fully expect Buchtel and East to make the playoffs but both must improve offensive line play if they expect to make a run at a title. Ellet hopefully improves some but as long as they continue to run that pee wee defense they won't be much of a threat. Everyone else i'm just hoping are able to steal a non conference game or two and continue to build up Akron City athletics.

You can only play with what you have, when the East Akron faithfull were mad at Hayes because he got the job over someone the East community wanted, they sent their kids to Ellet and they went to the playoffs 2 years in a row. Marquise Bridges was there, I can't remember the others. It was right after Aaron Male graduated.

Goes both ways I guess. I know two who live in Ellet that are at East now, including a neighbor...and he's good!
I blame the Ellet parents as much as anybody for putting up with this garbage and letting Yost run around like the King of Ellet.
Even today Shuman has the title but Joe is running the show.
I believe Shu did get into some hot water recently after parent complaints over lack of a structured weight lifting program, infighting with coaches and making no effort to help kids get recognized by recruiters.
New school, new field, hardly any players this year.
We suck. Thank you Mrs. Kearns and Mr. Vassalotti.

Well, Orange, I think as far as blaming Vass you have it wrong. He is just a figure head, collecting a nice salary. HE has no says so. He had no say so in the coach when they combined Garfield and Kenmore. When people asked about what was going on, he had no clue. All handled behind the scenes and now you have what you have with that mess! Coach Boyd gets told by the players when they will show up to practice, IF they ever come to praxctice. As many have said on here, APS has never cared about sports, except at Buchtel. APS single-handedly dismantled Garfield as it was so it could become an also ran, and then combined it with another also ran in Kenmore. This is all Mr. James and his groupies wanting the Westside and Wastside to succeed and of course, as long as Firestone is still their Temple, they could care less about anything else...oh, and as long as LeBron keeps giving a couple million dollars for his school that still costs Akron about 6-7 Million. This system is a joke now and mostly thanks to this administration and the previous one, who they named the Administration Building after.

Well, Orange, I think as far as blaming Vass you have it wrong. He is just a figure head, collecting a nice salary. HE has no says so. He had no say so in the coach when they combined Garfield and Kenmore. When people asked about what was going on, he had no clue. All handled behind the scenes and now you have what you have with that mess! Coach Boyd gets told by the players when they will show up to practice, IF they ever come to praxctice. As many have said on here, APS has never cared about sports, except at Buchtel. APS single-handedly dismantled Garfield as it was so it could become an also ran, and then combined it with another also ran in Kenmore. This is all Mr. James and his groupies wanting the Westside and Wastside to succeed and of course, as long as Firestone is still their Temple, they could care less about anything else...oh, and as long as LeBron keeps giving a couple million dollars for his school that still costs Akron about 6-7 Million. This system is a joke now and mostly thanks to this administration and the previous one, who they named the Administration Building after.
You are so wrong! APS doesn't care about Buchtel! Everything they have they went and got it themselves not APS. And APS cares about Ellet & Firestone ????.

This statement is very misinformed. APS has never focused on athletics at best since Buckner retired. To be honest its on the communities to keep the programs alive. The schools and programs that have been rebuilt and have decent athletics did it on their own booster clubs, fundraising, and success. I mean lets be honest when was the last time Kenmore-Garfield has sold out a game? Buchtel and East has been on the verge of getting closed for the past decade or so but alumni and community leasers showed up and showed out.

Coach Boyd can coach and lead so ask yourself what are the members of that community doing to help him become successful. Same thing at North. It's very hard to build a program when you have no community support.

Thurgood makes a good point about community involvement. APS doesn't have the time, money or inclination to get behind programs. As such, it takes a strong group of boosters and parents to get behind a program and stick with it over time. With the support, you can grow something and be successful on the field and/or with your facilities; without it you're just another struggling inner-city football program.

Where the APS is flawed is in letting building principals have the final say in coaching hires and dismissals.
Its asinine.

Come on, BBD, while you are right that APS pounds its chest regarding Firestone on the academic side and for aethetics by dumping $20-25 million more into it than any other school in Akron, Buchtel is the pampered little child as far as APS is concerned. APS was supposed to rebuild Garfield first, then when East was going to close, the APS caved, like they always do, to the few babies over there and they rebuilt it as one of the first, pushing Garfield to the last and combining it with Kenmore, and then giving the new school an 85-yard football field!!! Yep!! They cannot even have a JV game at their school. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen done by the APS. They said they couldn't make it work with the size of the building they were building. I just saw that they added 10,000 additional square feet to Firestone-Litchfield once it was already being built to accommodate additional musical rooms, but they said they have to build the new school at Garfield for 1,400 students.......my question is where in the living HE11 are they going to get the other 600 kids?!?!? The current K-G only has about 850 kids total. DO they think people are going to move into Firestone Park knowing that Firestone Park Elementary is going to close shortly because they never did anything to renovate or rebuild it? They already closed Roswel Kent and sent those kids to Innis. They are so stinking stupid and living in an alternate reality. Yes, Buchtel is definitely a favorite of the administration downtown. THey let KingRicky do whatever he wants, get beat up on the sideline and not a word or a thing done about it. The APS wants Buchtel and Firestone and Ellet to succeed, the rest are on their own.

Let’s hope everything works out for the Akron City Schools and its citizenry. The Massillon Tigers have an excellent relationship with Akron teams which spans the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. Good Luck‼️

Come on, BBD, while you are right that APS pounds its chest regarding Firestone on the academic side and for aethetics by dumping $20-25 million more into it than any other school in Akron, Buchtel is the pampered little child as far as APS is concerned. APS was supposed to rebuild Garfield first, then when East was going to close, the APS caved, like they always do, to the few babies over there and they rebuilt it as one of the first, pushing Garfield to the last and combining it with Kenmore, and then giving the new school an 85-yard football field!!! Yep!! They cannot even have a JV game at their school. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen done by the APS. They said they couldn't make it work with the size of the building they were building. I just saw that they added 10,000 additional square feet to Firestone-Litchfield once it was already being built to accommodate additional musical rooms, but they said they have to build the new school at Garfield for 1,400 students.......my question is where in the living HE11 are they going to get the other 600 kids?!?!? The current K-G only has about 850 kids total. DO they think people are going to move into Firestone Park knowing that Firestone Park Elementary is going to close shortly because they never did anything to renovate or rebuild it? They already closed Roswel Kent and sent those kids to Innis. They are so stinking stupid and living in an alternate reality. Yes, Buchtel is definitely a favorite of the administration downtown. THey let KingRicky do whatever he wants, get beat up on the sideline and not a word or a thing done about it. The APS wants Buchtel and Firestone and Ellet to succeed, the rest are on their own.
I don't know what world you live in but APS doesn't pamper Buchtel. Buchtel has been raising funds themselves for upgrades. APS gives them the basic necessities. Now far as these schools being built I suggest take thus to the BOE. They need to hear complaints.