2019-2020 MAC thread

Toledo lost their most promising player in international play. Edu out for season pretty much takes them down to 7 players with no proven outside shooter. And BG looks good.

long season ahead.

Ohio picked up a solid road win at St Bonny in Jeff Boals debut. Surprising upset considering youth of team. Hard to say how much credit Ohio deserves vs how good the Bonnie’s actually are/how much their poor shooting from outside played a role... still very encouraging start. Bobcats have some talent

Outside of Toledo, the other MAC schools that have played thus far have all won their openers

Edit: only Ohio, WMU (Mcnees) and Toledo played D1 schools

Toledo had the game won against Notre Dame. They led just about the entire way and frittered it away in the last 3 minutes. With 1.5 seconds to go, ND had an inbounds play down by 3 points. Unbelievably, Toledo left a guy wide open behind the arc, who swished it to take the game to OT.
Even then, UT had a one point lead and the ball; but a costly turnover and lack of offensive execution at the end cost them the victory.
All credit to ND. An abysmal effort late in the game by the Rockets to ruin what was an excellent performance -- but only for 38 minutes. Winners make those plays at the end.

Tonight BG will have a chance to upset a Cincinnati team tonight coming off a very underwhelming 1-point win against Illinois State Friday evening. Cincy will be short-handed as well missing 2 key graduate transfers who come off the bench.

Would it be fair to say Justin Turner is the early front runner for MAC POY?

It's fair to say it's early. With most of the points in the conference coming out of the guard spot, harder to measure the contributions of the big guys this early. Willie Jackson is averaging 12 RBs and voters love scrappy.

Right now, between Turner, Flowers and German I'd say but M Jackson and Preston have much higher assist numbers than either and are not far off in scoring or RBs. None of them have a significant win to put on their resume, some near misses. Pretty close still in my opinon.

Last edited:
Tonight BG will have a chance to upset a Cincinnati team tonight coming off a very underwhelming 1-point win against Illinois State Friday evening. Cincy will be short-handed as well missing 2 key graduate transfers who come off the bench.

Heckuva win for the Falcons, coming from 10 points behind with 3 minutes left to force OT, then outlast the Bearcats. This team is looking like a force in the MAC this year.
Alas, Justin Turner was injured and had to sit out half the game. It looks like he's gonna be out for awhile. :(

Big win for Toledo on Saturday knocking off Zips who were previously unbeaten in the MAC.

Akron & BG both 4-1 in East. Ball State 4-1 in West.

Everyone in the MAC had decent OOC records. Miami has the worst overall record and they are 8-10.

Akron win was nice. Ohio was nicer. But it's the next one that matters, Bugs.

Two of Toledo's losses were to the guys ahead of them so conf champ seems off the books. Willie Jackson been playing out of his head though.

His injury now has him off the stat board. See how he rebounds. Now it looks to be Flowers WMU, German NIU, or M Jackson UT. All guards. My money is still on Willie Jackson but UToledo is going to have to make a move with some wins in the West.

Some tough games to call this weekend.

Friday
Kent @ Buffalo
Saturday
EMU @ Miami
Akron @ Ohio
WMU @ NIU
Ball @ CMU
BG @ Toledo

I'm going with home team except Toledo. They're down another half player due to injury. Got a guard working half ability and UT is already weak against good guards.

UT had an outstanding game against Akron. Mareon Jackson had as good of a MAC game as I've seen in a while. If they can get rolling, I think they could be the best team coming out of the West. Not sure what caused their slump from mid-December to mid- January.

Loren Christian Jackson is playing out of his mind for Akron. Kent's on a awful stretch where they just look lost, throwing up fast three pointers, playing poor defense and not getting back on D.

If Akron wins the MAC I would think Loren Christian Jackson is POTY. Justin Turner seems like he has recovered alright from injury.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Ohio beats Akron on Saturday. Bobcats have some talent but their youth is showing so far

UT had an outstanding game against Akron. Mareon Jackson had as good of a MAC game as I've seen in a while. If they can get rolling, I think they could be the best team coming out of the West. Not sure what caused their slump from mid-December to mid- January.

Loren Christian Jackson is playing out of his mind for Akron. Kent's on a awful stretch where they just look lost, throwing up fast three pointers, playing poor defense and not getting back on D.
Toledo has several skilled offensive players. That's pretty much what wins games for them. Defensively, though, they are suspect. They shot poorly during their slump but had no defense to make up for it.
The last few UT teams have been the same way. That's why, even though their individual players are talented, their team success hasn't been what many have expected.

Lost some good experience and players to injury.

Toledo has several skilled offensive players. That's pretty much what wins games for them. Defensively, though, they are suspect. They shot poorly during their slump but had no defense to make up for it.
The last few UT teams have been the same way. That's why, even though their individual players are talented, their team success hasn't been what many have expected.

They are pretty top heavy with Jackson, Jackson and Knapke.

Kent looked awful last night against NIU. They got killed on the boards, were lackadaisical on defense and kept hoisting quick 3s.

UT doesn't really have a defensive scheme beside Willie Jackson, go get rebounds. The stats for opposing guards against Kowalczyk UT teams have to be HOF stuff. UT's sole offensive options seems to be toss it around the outside and jack it, they have no penetration threat. Occasionally W. Jackson will shoot a mid-range. If the outside shots aren't falling, they have zero consistent options.

Tonight will be interesting. Home teams all favored but each of those road teams are good enough to steal a win in these games.

Buffalo @ Akron
Kent @ Toledo
Ball @ BG
Ohio @ NIU

CMU @ Miami (postponed)

Tonight will be interesting. Home teams all favored but each of those road teams are good enough to steal a win in these games.

Buffalo @ Akron
Kent @ Toledo
Ball @ BG
Ohio @ NIU

CMU @ Miami (postponed)
Buffalo and Kent pull off big road wins.

Good weekend slate coming up. Top 4 in MAC East play each other Friday...

Friday
Akron @ Kent
BG @ Buffalo
Saturday
Ohio @ Ball
Central @ WMU
Toledo @ EMU
Miami @ NIU

Akron came back to the crowd last night. Got killed on the boards and had an awful night shooting. Got it back to a tie in the last minute but gave up a three pointer with 6 seconds left to lose.