2019 - 2020 Canton McKinley Boys Basketball Schedule

I've watched the video broadcast several times

Ignatius was leading 48-44 at the 1:48 mark of the 3rd quarter. The Pups player missed a layup and Ignatius #21 rebounded the miss. When #21 landed, his knee buckled and he called a time out. During the time-out, the McKinley coach got into an argument with one of the refs, came out onto the middle floor and ultimately had to be restrained by one of his assistants. A double technical was called.

The Pups started out the game fast hitting their 3 pointers. At half, the Pups were up by 1.
The Cats took the lead in the first 10 seconds of the 3rd quarter and led the entire way thereafter.
The Pups 3-point shots weren't falling after the 1st quarter and Ignatius beat them on transitions. Pretty simple.

With reference to a football game, this was pretty mild compared to a game vs. St. Edward, SVSM or one of the GCL-S teams.

With reference to so-called homering, watch the video broadcast and provide the cases of such

First off, our coach knows way, way more about what was going on out there than you do. He was upset, in part, by the fact our center was getting mugged under the basket the entire game. Your kids were committing blocking fouls every single possession and not getting called for them. Our kids were too quick, would make a move and get blocked every time, but no calls. Over the back on your guys, no calls. Your whole team should have fouled out in the third. This was the same stuff Coach Hoover, who won a State Championship at Westerville North before winning two @ McKinley saw his team subjected to @ St. Edward. His kids were too quick for them, too, so the refs turned it into a football game, called nothing on Eds, made tricky tacky calls on Raymar Morgan when he was a freshman , and let the Eds football player mug him every possession and charge on offense like St. Ignatius in this game. Our fans are knowledgeable. Many have played themselves for Ohio's all-time winningest program. We've put 6 guys in tf NBA. We know the game. Coach V was tired of watching his team getting mugged. He had every reason to protest. Tossing our coach over that likely gets you cancelled, and you wonder why? We won't put up with that kind of disrespect from you. Period.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

Last edited:
Go to 4:03 of the broadcast linked here. Would you call this an exemplary demeanor? Exemplary of what?

Not exemplary, but also not horrific. I see nothing in that video clip that suggests a 2nd technical was warranted. That, of course, is without knowing what the coach said.

Either way, the game is four quarters long and McKinley only played two...hence the loss. They need to learn from it and move on.

I watched the McKinley-Iggy game.All i can say is i wish we play them again in the Tournament.

I think Green would beat Iggy.Please no more back to back nights against good teams.

if your the best you play and beat the best nuf said

Geeezzzzzzzz I thought we were playing and beating the best.We just got done beating 2 undefeated teams.One was undefeated and ranked no.1 in western PA.Then we beat Green who was waxing everybody.Then we played Iggy on back to back nights with Green.If you don't think we can beat Iggy I don't know what to tell you.

I ....Please no more back to back nights against good teams.

B-S: Back to back games against quality opponents in the regular season help you to be
prepared for the higher level tournament games (District~Regional~State finals).
:>---

SF

B-S: Back to back games against quality opponents in the regular season help you to be
prepared for the higher level tournament games (District~Regional~State finals).
:>---

SF
I really don't mind the back to back nights either wither the teams are good or not. It reminds me of old school schedules from days gone by. Personally from a fan standpoint I really dislike Tuesday night games especially when you need to play the following Friday and Saturday. I also don't like this game tonight (Sunday) then turn around and play Jackson this Friday, Maple Heights Saturday and then North Canton on Tuesday. Also who schedules Massillon on a Tuesday after a Sunday game then turn around and play at Green on that Friday? Who makes these schedules up?

These are high school kids...they need to learn to bring it every night...right now they takes plays off especially on defense

Good win McKinley! Lima Senior couldn't buy a basket, but still kept trying to hit 3s. Meanwhile, you guys shot the lights out. Impressive as you were short-handed as well. Maybe we can do it again!!!

Nice article in the Repository about the game and also had the box scores! McKinley knocked off undefeated Lima Senior 82-70! Four Bulldogs were in double figures with Kobe Johnson leading the way with 26 points.James McCollough and CJ Hall had 17 points apiece.Antwan Williams had 13 points.

Go Pups!

It's January 01, 2020

2019 - 2020 Canton McKinley Boys Basketball Schedule
HEAD COACH: ANDY VLAJKOVICH

01. 11/2719 Youngstown East___________Home - WON - (81 - 50)

02. 12/06/19 Canton GlenOak____________Away - LOST - (65 - 71)

03. 12/10/19 Massillon Perry_____________Away - WON - (59 - 47)

04. 12/14/19 Butler, Pa__________________Away - WON - (84 - 72)

05. 12/20/19 Uniontown Green__________ Home - WON - (53 - 46)

06. 12/21/19 Cleveland St Ignatius_______Away - LOST - (53 - 75)

07. 12/29/19 Coach Q Holiday___________
____________Shoutout Tourney
____________Lima Senior_______________Away - WON - (82 -70)

08. 01/03/20 Massillon Jackson_________Away

09. 01/04/20 Maple Heights____________ Home

10. 01/07/20 North Canton Hoover______Home

11. 01/10/20 Uniontown Lake___________Away

12. 01/14/20 Canton GlenOak__________ Home

13. 01/17/20 Massilon Perry____________Home

14. 01/26/20 Lewis Center Olentangy___

15. 01/28/20 Massillon Washington_____Away

16. 01/31/20 Uniontown Green_________Away

17. 02/04/20 Massillon Jackson________Home

18. 02/07/20 North Canton Hoover _____Away

19. 02/11/20 Akron St Vincent St Mary_ Home

20. 02/14/20 Uniontown Lake__________Home

21. 02/15/20 Wooster_________________ Away

22. 02/21/20 Akron Butchel____________Home

Returning Players

00. Kobe Johnson_________________________6' 3"_________JR
02. Jalen Ross____________________________6' 2"_________SR
04. Brent Walker__________________________6' 6"_________JR
11. Xavier Black__________________________ 6' 1"________ JR
12. James McCollough____________________6' 1"_________JR
13. Mehki Smith__________________________ 5' 8"_________JR
14. RJ Petties____________________________ 5' 7"_________JR
15. CJ Hall_______________________________5' 9"_________SR
21. Jasper Robinson______________________6' 5"_________SR
23. Jonah Lytle___________________________5' 9"_________JR

www.cantonmckinley.com

? :p ? :giggle: ? :D :)

This is IUDOGS signing off.

Last edited:
The way they handled the Lima Senior Spartans on Sunday night on the road and with only 8 players and minus their coach,
I don't see how they ever lost 2 games ! Are Canton Glen Oak and Cleveland St. Ignatius really that good ??

JB

The way they handled the Lima Senior Spartans on Sunday night on the road and with only 8 players and minus their coach,
I don't see how they ever lost 2 games ! Are Canton Glen Oak and Cleveland St. Ignatius really that good ??

JB
They just have to find a consistent rhythm

JB

Glenoak is a conference rivalry game and those no matter how talented teams are, are always tough. Plus this year Glenoak is truly playing like a team so IMO much improved over the team they had last year.

St Ignatius was on the road after an emotional conference win against Green, the team McKinely is trying to replicate from last year making the run the regionals. Coach has been notorious for scheduling out of conference tough road games on back to back nights since his time at Harding. It helps prep for tourney and those games are about mental toughness.

What many people forget is that this time is still young, with 2 seniors playing with a very talented junior class. Besides CJ, Kobe and Brent and at times last year Xavier, the rest of the class was strictly jv gaining a ton of playing time and valuable reps, even though it was on jv. The leap in talent from JV to varsity will take a couple games to get used to but if they continue to play defense and the ball movement continues the Bulldogs could very well make a run to regionals. They still have alot of growing up to do but if Kobe continues to play at the elite level he is just starting to understand he can play at, and Brent realizes he can be one of the best rebounders in the state with his physical gifts they will be tough to beat this year.

The rest of the kids play their roles and keep competing they really go a strong 9 deep with guys who can contribute

Glenoak is a conference rivalry game and those no matter how talented teams are, are always tough. Plus this year Glenoak is truly playing like a team so IMO much improved over the team they had last year.

St Ignatius was on the road after an emotional conference win against Green, the team McKinely is trying to replicate from last year making the run the regionals. Coach has been notorious for scheduling out of conference tough road games on back to back nights since his time at Harding. It helps prep for tourney and those games are about mental toughness.

What many people forget is that this time is still young, with 2 seniors playing with a very talented junior class. Besides CJ, Kobe and Brent and at times last year Xavier, the rest of the class was strictly jv gaining a ton of playing time and valuable reps, even though it was on jv. The leap in talent from JV to varsity will take a couple games to get used to but if they continue to play defense and the ball movement continues the Bulldogs could very well make a run to regionals. They still have alot of growing up to do but if Kobe continues to play at the elite level he is just starting to understand he can play at, and Brent realizes he can be one of the best rebounders in the state with his physical gifts they will be tough to beat this year.

The rest of the kids play their roles and keep competing they really go a strong 9 deep with guys who can contribute

Thanks for the info. It was very informative and best of luck to the Bulldogs the rest of the season. They certainly came ready to play Sunday night.
May have been a reality check for Lima Senior for sure.

JB

I saw Jackson play against Orange. McKinley should win, probably by double digits. Jackson is smaller and weaker defensively than they've been for a long time. Losing Hyde and Junker hurt them a lot. Bears aren't as physical. They have some good athletes in the back court, but the outside shooting wasn't there.

I saw Jackson play against Orange. McKinley should win, probably by double digits. Jackson is smaller and weaker defensively than they've been for a long time. Losing Hyde and Junker hurt them a lot. Bears aren't as physical. They have some good athletes in the back court, but the outside shooting wasn't there.

Probably all valid points but mentally that Jackson game has been a huge hurdle the past couple years. Debevec will have a game plan ready and should be a battle. McKinley is the better team but any conference game will be a grind it out affair, too much familiarity