2019-20 Ohio State Basketball

I really don't know why everyone is down on tOSU and Holtmann. I was watching the game and they listed injuries this year and there were a bunch. Plus Young is out again. Look at NC. They lost one of their studs and went spiraling down and have never recovered. I think coach has done pretty well considering all of what has happened. What y 'all think?

I really don't know why everyone is down on tOSU and Holtmann. I was watching the game and they listed injuries this year and there were a bunch. Plus Young is out again. Look at NC. They lost one of their studs and went spiraling down and have never recovered. I think coach has done pretty well considering all of what has happened. What y 'all think?

Most reasonable OSU fans agree with you. There are only a couple of knuckleheads on this thread, that get very negative after a loss and then are happy after a win. They aren't real fans, and have minimal knowledge about the sport. I just ignore them.

I am probably one of the knuckleheads but I do know some about the game.

Sometimes I believe Holtman needs to jump the guys more when they become lackadaisical. He has said that guys earn playing time by how they practice. I believe Gaffney needed more time to develop . He should have played more. Now, we are going to need him. I get the tradeoff with playing Ahrens, but the boy can't guard a parked car. Apparently, Holtman agreed yesterday as Justin was out of the game a long time. You all see players going around him, right?

Maybe my two biggest bug-a-boos with C.H. is that I believe he has a quick hook when a guy screws up once. You can see players glancing toward the bench when this happens. The other is just the overall lack of basketball knowledge and in - game decision making by some of the players.

Maybe it was more obvious to others but it seems that the coach made a conscious decision to go with K. W. (thus keeping A. Wesso involved significantly) but we lost Potter in the process. A 6'10" guy who is fairly agile around the hole, and can shoot the jumper and go to the rack to grab a miss would look really good right now.

I am not one of those guys who wants OSU to lose. Let's face it, they don't get much love on a line East and West, drawn through the Marion - Mansfield area. No love in greater Cleveland at all.

How do you believe they will play at Nebraska? Will Carton play again this year? Will he play again for OSU?

I am probably one of the knuckleheads but I do know some about the game.

Sometimes I believe Holtman needs to jump the guys more when they become lackadaisical. He has said that guys earn playing time by how they practice. I believe Gaffney needed more time to develop . He should have played more. Now, we are going to need him. I get the tradeoff with playing Ahrens, but the boy can't guard a parked car. Apparently, Holtman agreed yesterday as Justin was out of the game a long time. You all see players going around him, right?

Maybe my two biggest bug-a-boos with C.H. is that I believe he has a quick hook when a guy screws up once. You can see players glancing toward the bench when this happens. The other is just the overall lack of basketball knowledge and in - game decision making by some of the players.

Maybe it was more obvious to others but it seems that the coach made a conscious decision to go with K. W. (thus keeping A. Wesso involved significantly) but we lost Potter in the process. A 6'10" guy who is fairly agile around the hole, and can shoot the jumper and go to the rack to grab a miss would look really good right now.

I am not one of those guys who wants OSU to lose. Let's face it, they don't get much love on a line East and West, drawn through the Marion - Mansfield area. No love in greater Cleveland at all.

How do you believe they will play at Nebraska? Will Carton play again this year? Will he play again for OSU?
No, your posts are generally down the middle and thoughtful. I have no issue with reasonable criticism when it is warranted; I also called out the guys for bad decisions / silly turnovers on occasion. That Brian1227 is the guy who should just go away ; to just post "embarassment / fire Holtman" because they have a bad game is moronic. The program is in solid hands.

The Nebraska game concerns me honestly. They have a pretty good home court, and they took Maryland down to a final possession, and beat Iowa. Buckeyes will need to be on their game, and frankly, we have not looked great when Kyle Young is out. Liddell needs to keep stepping up and improving.

As for Gaffney, I'd like to see him play more too. Just listened to the Holtman radio show, and he confided that Gaffney had some small injuries and sickness that had caused him to miss some time, but said "he has been doing great in practice the last week or so".

I believe the "huskers" are in it to win it. I'm sure they believe they can. Every team has the emotional let down after a big win. I am hoping that Nebraska having just two days to recover might lose their legs in the second half. Just hope we are close enough to stick around until that point.

With Young out, team is extremely thin right now.

Next year we, with the return of Jallow, Carton (fingers crossed) and the addition to Suing on the bench right now and bringing on the two recruits, they should be more capable to weather the storm.
This season reminds us how very, very good Diop was, what a great complimentary piece Tate was and the contributions made by everyone - including the little fella in the suit on the bench. Loved that team

If you are referring to Holtman as the 'little fella in the suit on the bench', that is funny. I also had been perceiving him as a small stocky guy. But I saw him in person a few months ago and he is fairly tall and lean. I'm about 6'3" and he was just a touch shorter than me, and very athletic looking. I think he just looks short and squat on TV when he has the suit jacket on, next to all the big guys on his bench.

Actually, I meant Dakich. He contributed mightily that season. Recall when they beat Sparty at OSU and A.D. hit a long, long buzzer beater to end the half. He had a stabilizing influence on the guys.

19-8. 9-8. Next Up - Mich. - Sunday at home; then Ill. Thurs. at home and finally Senior day at MSU a week from Sunday. Big Ten tourney looms then. Weren't they 1-6 in the league once? Who knew?

Nice, nice bounce back. Credit the guys and the coaches for hanging in when it would have been very easy to have packed it in.

Great win over Michigan! Looked like Holtmann used Kaleb a lot on the perimeter to open up shooting lanes for the guards. It was all clicking in the second half. Injuries piled up all year, but Holtmann has kept it together.

Played very, very hard. Compete!! Holtman maneuvering the car through narrow streets. Kyle come back and bring Carton along - if for nothing else than the emotional side ( D.J. - hope things are getting better.)

Loved the game!!! Were 2-6 in the league and have gone 8-2 since. Nice!!!!

And you gotta love the Clark Kellogg/Herb Williams/Kelvin Ransey era throwback uniforms. Beautiful.

It is amazing how good the team looks when the 3-ball goes in 50% of the time. Solid all-around game, only 9 turnovers, much better. Need to keep playing solid like that, because the 3-ball percentage will certainly drop in future games.

I'll tell you this, Michigan is lining up to be an 8-seed or so in the NCAA, and none of the so-called 1-seeds (Gonzaga, Baylor, San Diego State, Kansas) want anything to do with them in the round of 32. Michigan is big, deep and athletic. That Wagner kid looks like a baby but his game and BBall IQ are terrific - reminds me of Gordon Hayward. Big Ten is scary deep. I would favor Michigan over any of those 1-seeds except Kansas.

Curious what you guys make of Gaffney? Pretty highly recruited and obviously hasn't played a ton to this point. Do you think he's just slow to adjust to the college game? Is he in the doghouse? Over-rated?

From Holtman's show. Was going to paly with Young out but has been sick; adjusted slowly initially.

I don't believe he's overrated - don't want him to become a Potter. I thought he was very highly thought of coming out. (Did hear "low motor".)
Hope he stays. Have to wonder about him and I would say Carton transferring.

Here's another query: Who makes any all-Big Ten recognition.? Tempted to say Wesson, Wesson, C.J., Young and Washington are all candidates - but there are seven teams ahead of them in the standings who have the same type of players. I would have had Carton pushing for freshman/freshmen honors - but not now.

Kaleb was honorable mention last year, I believe. If they go three teams and honorable mention, I'd say he gets third team and his brother gets H.M.

Gaffney was listed as "Out" the last few games and Holtman mentioned him pre-game on the radio as unavailable for Michigan. I think he is sick as opposed to injured. Kid is very talented but needs to put on a little weight. I think he will be a big impact player next year.

Gaffney is gone....Holtman said Gaffney will not be available and made it seem like it was for remainder of the year then said he could not say anything lese about it right now. Gaffney does not seem to fit Holtman's program at all. I just hope Carton is ok and will remain at OSU. They could really use him next year as another scoring threat. Holtman will bring in a transfer big I bet to replace Gaffney.

Gaffney was listed as "Out" the last few games and Holtman mentioned him pre-game on the radio as unavailable for Michigan. I think he is sick as opposed to injured. Kid is very talented but needs to put on a little weight. I think he will be a big impact player next year.
You won't see him again,his game is not for this coach or the B1G.

Raymo -

Too what for Holtman? And, not a Big Ten player how? Something is up - just trying to figure out what it is. Coach can't control everything but if Gaffney and Carton are being negatively effected at OSU by their basketball participation, it would be enlightening to know why.
Holtman seems to me to bend over backward to be a players' coach.

Strong win tonite against the Illini with seven players,coaching staff doing wonders with what's left from the start of the season.

Tough - don't cave in. Good grinder for the Boys Of Winter from 60 years ago. 21-9/11-8. Out of the wreckage of the first half of the Big Ten season.

What would happen if Iowa wins @ ILL and PSU loses at NW and OSU wins @ MSU? Can OSU get a 4 seed in the Big Ten Tourney?