2019-20 Mr Basketball Candidates

I’d imagine Zach Rasile from McDonald will have a good shot at being a finalist again. He was a finalist last year and is putting up better numbers: 36 ppg last year to 42 ppg this year and the team has a much better record: 12-10 last year, 8-1 so far this year.

Last edited:
Seems like a down year for the senior class in Ohio. Maybe a junior will win? Off the top of my head these are some guys that I know are having good years. I'm sure there are loads of guys out there that are having good years that I don't know of that could be a Mr. Basketball Finalist.

Grant Huffman - St. Ed's
John Hugley - Brush
Josiah Fulcher - Lima Sr.
Von Cameron Davis - Col. Walnut Ridge

How does this NOT go to Zach Rasile from Mcdonald?! Legit shot at being the #2 all time scorer in the state for a career.....I know this is a year to year award but his stats for both this season and for his career have to mean something right?! #2 ALL TIME potentially (most likely).....!

How does this NOT go to Zach Rasile from Mcdonald?! Legit shot at being the #2 all time scorer in the state for a career.....I know this is a year to year award but his stats for both this season and for his career have to mean something right?! #2 ALL TIME potentially (most likely).....!
Division 17 gets no love for obvious reasons

Not sure he will win but Carl Blanton from Trotwood is currently averaging 29ppg 8 rebounds 3 steals. Shooting 43% from three and 51% from field

If we go just by stats then previous winners would look a little different. Not that hard to understand.

I think Brady Uhl from Alter should definitely be in the conversation. Having a monster year, averaging 19.5 in the tough GCL. Saw him drop 31 at CJ. Kid is the real deal.

George Mangas from Shawnee. Just in the past week he dropped 27 on Lima Senior, 37 on Ottawa Glandorf and 32 on Findlay. Has averaged around 28 for the season. Smart player and is always around the ball. Keep an ear out the rest of the season!

No offense, but where is McDonald? Stats, offers, big wins, etc?
McDonald is a small village between Youngstown and Warren, along the Mahoning River in Northeastern Ohio. It's a Division IV school (for hoops) with a strong athletic tradition, especially in track and cross country. But both their basketball and football teams are strong and consistent year in and year out.

Zach Rasile is set to attend West Liberty State University in West Virginia, a Division II college that has won its league title 3 of the past 4 seasons, and has been in the NCAA Div. II tournament each of the past 10 years.

He's now the 4th all-time scorer in Ohio high school history with 2,718 points currently, and has a decent chance of surpassing No. 3 Jay Burson (2,958) and No. 2 Luke Kennard (2,977).

He also holds the Ohio record for most three point FG's made in a season (140, as a sophomore), and in a career (442 currently).

Rasile is currently averaging 38.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 4.1 apg, and 3.6 spg.

McDonald is currently 14-3, with losses coming to Division III schools Waterloo (twice) and Springfield.

Here's an article about Zach that appeared in today's Youngstown Vindicator/Warren Tribune:

Last edited:
McDonald is a small village between Youngstown and Warren, along the Mahoning River in Northeastern Ohio. It's a Division IV school (for hoops) with a strong athletic tradition, especially in track and cross country. But both their basketball and football teams are strong and consistent year in and year out.

Zach Rasile is set to attend West Liberty State University in West Virginia, a Division II college that has won its league title 3 of the past 4 seasons, and has been in the NCAA Div. II tournament each of the past 10 years.

He's now the 4th all-time scorer in Ohio high school history with 2,718 points currently, and has a decent chance of surpassing No. 3 Jay Burson (2,958) and No. 2 Luke Kennard (2,977).

He also holds the Ohio record for most three point FG's made in a season (140, as a sophomore), and in a career (442 currently).

McDonald is currently 14-3, with losses coming to Division III schools Waterloo (twice) and South Range.

Here's an article about Zach that appeared in today's Youngstown Vindicator/Warren Tribune:

If we're gonna pick these little school guys, why not Paul McMillan? 31PPG, 5 RPG, 5 APG, and I'm pretty sure he's not going to a D2 school

Rasile is a really good scorer/player but I’m not sure he’s even the best player in the Youngstown area. Derrick Anderson from Boardman is averaging 23 and around 5 assist and 5 rebs at the D-1 level.

2 different style players -one more of a shooter while Anderson is more of a very strong driving guard with a very good mid range game and strong defensively as well. Both are very good in their own way.

There is definitely a clear difference, usually, between D1 and D4 basketball - I get it. But people on this thread acting like its easy to score 40 in a game one time.....much less average it for a season. I'd actually make the argument that its even HARDER for a D4 player to have those kinds of numbers because he probably doesn't have the help on that team, that would be there on a D1 team - meaning, every single coach he plays against knows that he is THE guy.....and you know he's had every "junk" defense known to man thrown at him. To dismiss Rasile because he isn't playing for a big school or because he's going to one of the best D2 programs in the country is short sighted.....What if he went to idk....Cardinal Mooney - would that make a difference in anyone's opinion? Probably..... ?‍♂️

As far as the college choice....its kind of like a kid choosing to play football at Mount Union instead of Akron U.....which happens on the regular....

Last edited:
The McDonald kid can flat out play and so can several others, like a Hugley. College choice should not matter in this. The Rasile kid would make many D-1 College teams but sometimes kids pick a school they like with coach they want to play for, knowing they can contribute soon, where most importantly they will get a degree since being paid to play this sport is unlikely for the vast majority of them.

The numbers say Rasile should be in the running, because you can't deny the numbers. But the numbers would be cut in half if he played D1 or a consistently strong schedule vs even D3/D4 teams.

He reminds me of Joey Leidel , but not quite as quick. (Erie Mason, Michigan - University of Detroit signee) 37 PPG this season.

Leidel went off against most teams on a weak schedule. He was able to carry his team to the D3 Final 4 in Michigan. My son's team (Ohio D3 Final 4 team) beat them by 23 and 37. He only scored 7 and 4 vs "us" when he was guarded straight up by a quick/powerful 6'2" D1 Oakland Signee. He couldn't even get a shot off. When he did catch the ball all he could do was pass it off. Point being when playing good competition - they deny the pass, play right up in your face to take away the 3 and they are too quick for you to blow by.

In the Rasile videos that I watched he was catching and shooting without anyone denying the pass, running him off the 3 point line or even making him work for a shot.

Sorry, but it is just a different ball game and his numbers would go from out of this world to 17-18 ppg vs good competition. Very good ball player, but not Mr. Basketball good.

Last edited:
Seems like a down year for the senior class in Ohio. Maybe a junior will win? Off the top of my head these are some guys that I know are having good years. I'm sure there are loads of guys out there that are having good years that I don't know of that could be a Mr. Basketball Finalist.

Grant Huffman - St. Ed's
John Hugley - Brush
Josiah Fulcher - Lima Sr.
Von Cameron Davis - Col. Walnut Ridge
VCD probably isn’t going to be a candidate. Great player, but his slim likelihood of being in the conversation probably just dropped to zero with Walnut Ridge losing to Cols South. The only likely candidates from Central Ohio are Matt Allocco (Bradley), Keaton Turner (Coffman) or CJ Anthony (Harvest Prep.) Maybe Maciag from Pick Central.

The favorites are probably Blanton or Rasile, for right or for wrong.

McDonald is currently 14-3, with losses coming to Division III schools Waterloo (twice) and South Range.

This reminds me of 2002. The d4 player of the year was Matt Witt from Bethel who had very similar numbers to the McDonald kid. He was also going to a not so powerful Onio Valley D1 university in Kentucky EKU.

They ended up giving the award of Mr Basketball to a kid from a private school who didn't even go to college but played a much more difficult schedule and had outstanding stats as well.

This reminds me of 2002. The d4 player of the year was Matt Witt from Bethel who had very similar numbers to the McDonald kid. He was also going to a not so powerful Onio Valley D1 university in Kentucky EKU.

They ended up giving the award of Mr Basketball to a kid from a private school who didn't even go to college but played a much more difficult schedule and had outstanding stats as well.

Mr. Basketball that year was ok :p.

I just learned that this Rasile kid you are speaking of is actually coached by his dad! That prob explains the records/numbers as I heard he was always able to toss up as many balls as he wanted and as a freshman had something like a shooting percentage of like 26%. That would never fly under the direction of another coach. After seeing a video, he does have a good shot but i have seen so many other kids that have more talent all around and are playing better competition. IMO this definitely looks like a dad living through his child. Best of luck to him at his D2 college.