2019-20 Coaching Carousel

No links. I know people in the program. Coburn himself said stoops is a candidate. You're distorting what has been said. There are temporary losses that come with a bad year. That isn't the same as constant losses and booster /donor money coming through too

You're distorting what has been said.

No I'm not. ?‍♂️
Coburn told the Democrat he’s uncertain if the salary of his next head coach would match Taggart’s annual $5 million salary, saying it “depends on the buyouts and other financials.”

There are temporary losses that come with a bad year. That isn't the same as constant losses and booster /donor money coming through too

Agreed with the first sentence, which is why I mentioned it is expected to see ticket, consession and parking sales drop during a down turn. Disagree with the second sentence considering annual giving is expected to be down $5M this year.

Saying it depends on the buyouts and financial s doesn't mean they can't afford it. It means they won't overpay for just any coach. 5 million isn't cheap and they already way overpaid taggart. Not wanting to make mistakes again isn't the same as not having the funds.

They have the money. Wouldn't pursue stoops at all if they didn't

Saying it depends on the buyouts and financial s doesn't mean they can't afford it. It means they won't overpay for just any coach. 5 million isn't cheap and they already way overpaid taggart. Not wanting to make mistakes again isn't the same as not having the funds

Again you are putting words in my mouth. I never said they can't afford it. I said they are struggling for money.

I just showed you how you were twisting what coburn said in my last post.

They wouldn't struggle to pay 6 million a year for the right hire

Now tell me who are your good and bad hires. Put it on the record so you aren't blasting them no matter who they pick

I just showed you how you were twisting what coburn said in my last post.

They wouldn't struggle to pay 6 million a year for the right hire

Now tell me who are your good and bad hires. Put it on the record so you aren't blasting them no matter who they pick

No, I did not twist what Coburn said. I have never once said they could not afford it. Nor did I say Coburn said they could not afford it. You keep putting those words in my mouth.

Clearly they are struggling with cash. I guess ESPN, Tallahasse Democrat, Orlando Sentinel, etc. are all lying when they claim the FSU Athletic Department strapped for cash?

Why would I blast FSU unless they hire another Taggart?

You are mistaking temporary losses and such with long term cash problems which they don't have. Of course tickets are down. The team sucks. Of course booster donations are done. I won't give a cent til I like the direction of the program again. But they will not pass on a preferred candidate due to money concerns

You are mistaking temporary losses and such with long term cash problems which they don't have. Of course tickets are down. The team sucks. Of course booster donations are done. I won't give a cent til I like the direction of the program again. But they will not pass on a preferred candidate due to money concerns

Never said they would pass on a preferred candidate due to money concerns. Simply said they are struggling for cash (surprise, they are!) but you decided to twist my words into them being unable to afford it.

I'm glad MentorMad has decided to move back on topic after moving goal posts and being incapable of objectively evaluating his favorite team. Since we are back on topic let's look at who else may be making moves:

Boston College. Other than 2015 Addizo has finished with exactly 7 wins every season and he is 43-42 at BC. With games against FSU, @ ND and @ Pitt, I think they split 1 of FSU and Pitt and lose to ND which puts him at 44-44. Does BC want to remain right around 0.500 or look to improve? I think Addizo is safe.

Illinois - I think Lovie saves his job if he splits one of @MSU, @Iowa and beats NW to get to 7 wins. I don't think 6-6 is enough to keep him save despite improving from 2-10 to 4-6 to 5-4 (currently).

MSU- This is one of my favorite questions. Dantonio never been much of a recruiter but his results speak for itself. The man gets more from less better than anyone else. However, there's been a lot of off the field turmoil between Robertson and his sexual assault, the wrongful termination suit, everything going on with Nassar and the athletic department. Other than 2017 the last 4 years have been a big decline from where he had MSU from 07-2015. Plus he will be 64 at the start of next season. This one will likely be more of a mutual decision.

Rutgers - Apparently Rutgers is going to start spending some money and try to be competitive in football instead of a punching bag. I'd still be hesitant as a head coach, there's a lot of talent but little loyalty to Rutgers there vs. somewhere like Maryland where kids tend to like the home team but want to actually win. I'm curious to see if they actually spend money and who they can attract.

USF - Strong is gone. 10-2, 7-6 and 4-4 this year and likely to lose out. After his run with Louisville I thought he would have done better at a smaller school like USF.

USC - Helton has to be gone, right? No chance his mediocrity survives a new athletic Director who will want to put his/her stamp on the school.

I think the following are around for another year with their coach:
UCLA - I thought Chip would do well here. Maybe he leaves for greener pastures, don't think UCLA can afford to fire him.
Tennessee - Pruitt needs some time. Butch was terrible and signed large classes to inflate the recruiting rankings.
VT - I think they give Fuente another year but boy things are turning south fast.
BYU - It's been an up and down year. Neither USC or Tenn are what they were 10+ years ago but those are solid wins for a G5 team and they beat Boise State. But they also lost to USF and Toledo. They should still finish with at least 7 wins and have been dealing with injuries. I think Sitake stays.

Completely forgot about Arkansas and Chad Morris. No doubt he is gone at the end of the year if he makes it.

Difficult job, IMO. You border Tennessee, Texas and Louisiana which are all talent rich states. The downside is Fayetteville is in the most northwestern corner of the state pretty far removed from both Texas and Southern Louisiana which is where most of the talent resides in that state. Plus you're battling consistently strong LSU who seems to have a lockdown on in state talent. You have the entire country and 17 d1 schools in Texas battling for those recruits. Plus, the part of Texas that is close to Arkansas isn't exactly a talent hot bed. Tennessee isn't as talent rich as the other two but like Texas, you have everyone hitting the state for talent. In this last class alone the top 10 kids in the state went to 8 different schools. And if Tennessee ever returns to being competitive, they'll likely lock down the in state talent. Similar too Nebraska, IMO.

They are technically SEC but they're the western most SEC school and pretty far from the standard SEC footprint of FL, GA, the Carolinas, etc. There just isn't enough talent to go around in the mid-west. And finally, in most years at best they will be 4th best in their division. Alabama, Auburn and LSU will almost always be better than them.

Completely forgot about Arkansas and Chad Morris. No doubt he is gone at the end of the year if he makes it.

Difficult job, IMO. You border Tennessee, Texas and Louisiana which are all talent rich states. The downside is Fayetteville is in the most northwestern corner of the state pretty far removed from both Texas and Southern Louisiana which is where most of the talent resides in that state. Plus you're battling consistently strong LSU who seems to have a lockdown on in state talent. You have the entire country and 17 d1 schools in Texas battling for those recruits. Plus, the part of Texas that is close to Arkansas isn't exactly a talent hot bed. Tennessee isn't as talent rich as the other two but like Texas, you have everyone hitting the state for talent. In this last class alone the top 10 kids in the state went to 8 different schools. And if Tennessee ever returns to being competitive, they'll likely lock down the in state talent. Similar too Nebraska, IMO.

They are technically SEC but they're the western most SEC school and pretty far from the standard SEC footprint of FL, GA, the Carolinas, etc. There just isn't enough talent to go around in the mid-west. And finally, in most years at best they will be 4th best in their division. Alabama, Auburn and LSU will almost always be better than them.
Spot on regarding East Texas talent and if there is any they are likely to be heavily recruited by A&M and LSU.

I think arkansas needs to go after Leach. At least bring some excitement. There were some weird rumblings about a Petrini reuinion after he spoke to their boosters last month. Doubt that happens.

This should be interesting.

Sounds about in line with what I read from Thamel on what Rutgers plans to do: up to $4M for HC, significantly increased assistant pool, upgraded facilities. And honestly, there's no reason they shouldn't be doing this. In 2021 their Big 10 revenue share jumps from ~28M to just under $44M. Might have to operate in the red a little in 2020 but they will soon have money to spend. We'll see. It's still Rutgers, there's still little loyalty from the nearby talent and they're going to shake this "slightly better than FCS" label they have right now.

UC’s AD is going to USC. I really don’t see Luke Fickell as an LA guy, but could he turn down the USC job if it was offered to him?

UC’s AD is going to USC. I really don’t see Luke Fickell as an LA guy, but could he turn down the USC job if it was offered to him?

I don't think that's a done deal right now. Last I heard Bohn was backing out because they informed him after the fact he wouldn't be able to get Urban. Not sure if that means USC brass already spoke with Urban and he said no or if USC brass just does not want to deal with Urban. All that being said, even if Bohn goes I'd be shocked if he brought Fickell. For one it just isn't a big enough name for USC. Two even as a UC fan I would still need to see another year from him before I'd give him a major P5 job let alone a marquee one. Finally, you are correct. Fickell is not an LA guy but $$$ can change anyone's mind.

I don't think that's a done deal right now. Last I heard Bohn was backing out because they informed him after the fact he wouldn't be able to get Urban. Not sure if that means USC brass already spoke with Urban and he said no or if USC brass just does not want to deal with Urban. All that being said, even if Bohn goes I'd be shocked if he brought Fickell. For one it just isn't a big enough name for USC. Two even as a UC fan I would still need to see another year from him before I'd give him a major P5 job let alone a marquee one. Finally, you are correct. Fickell is not an LA guy but $$$ can change anyone's mind.

USC is holding a presser right now announcing Bohn as the new AD.

He has a lot of work to do cleaning up the mess that those former USC football players masquerading as ADs left him with. The Athletic Department was ground zero in the recent admissions scandal at USC and needs to put into place some some ethical policies & procedures to make sure it doesn't happen again. And he has to hire a new football coach that will make everyone happy.

Deion isn't even a candidate. His highest coaching has been a wr coach in high school for God sakes. This shows why the mainstream media has such a low favorabiliy rating. They run with click bait instead of having real sources.

Same way herbstreit says Bob stoops isn't a candidate for FSU or any college jobs when his reps are still talking to FSu and also looking at some other schools who could come open

The national media doesn't have knowledge of inner workings for college schools as I said before

Edit-. But if deion wants to be involved he can be support staff person off the field or in recruiting cuz his voice matters there still. No shot as hc tho but FSU will be respectful and not trash him or anything

Last edited:
I mean Bob Stoops texted him and told him that. How is that not a real source? Unless you think Kirk was lying about Bob texting him.
People say things all the time and they can be ambiguous. Saying not a candidate can be at this time. Other times you don't say anything til it's official. I work at a big corporation. If people get jobs they are put on gag order til it is official. I've had friends get jobs and when I ask if they got it they have said no or avoided it. Stuff happens in big business

Stoops reps are still talking to FSu. So he obviously still has interest. Does it mean it will happen ? No. But if he weren't a candidate they wouldn't still be talking.

The deion stuff is complete garbage

And that somehow makes Bob Stoops texts to Kirk not a real source?
Geez you definitely love to argue man. Complete contrarian on here

Kirk should know better than to put out stuff like that. It's the same as saban saying he isn't leaving Miami. Petrino denying things while on the falcons. Heck ESPN and Kirk were saying no way would taggart leave Oregon after one year the last time

National media doesn't have sources on this. Period

Me asking you to clarify your contradictory statements isn't arguing or being a contrarian. You, on the other hand, deflected twice. Wonder why.

Last edited:
Stoops is still the first choice of FSU. Search firm is looking into other candidates. Fleck could get interviewed coming up. Matt Campbell is getting some looks which would be great. Him or Dave Aranda are my backup choices. Campbell wanted the FSU job two years ago btw

I would be shocked if Bob Stoops took the job. More likely Mark before Bob. Personally i wouldnt take Mark Stoops, he has done well at UK but taking down Dabo is a different animal and he is rather vanilla. I dont know who has the best ties to recruiting the state of Florida between Campbell and Fleck. I think that will factor in heavily in the next coach.

Looks like Arkansas has fired Chad Morris: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...sources-arkansas-fires-chad-morris-4-18-start

The middle class of the SEC is a hot mess and the expectations are off the charts too, Tennessee and Arkansas are just not good opportunities yet their fan bases want to be competitive with the big boys. I guess Mike Norvell is probably up next unless they can pry some B1G coach away with big $s but we know how that worked out when Bielman gave it a try.

Mick Cronin is the least “LA Guy” there is, but $$$ talks.