2019-20 Coaching Carousel

Your recently is only the last 3 years. FSU could have won the sec east from 2012-2016. Small sample size for your dumb point

I’ve been referencing the past 15ish seasons. You’re the one harping on 2013, 2014, and 2016. You can’t even keep your argument straight. You’re jumping around at your own convenience

I’ve been referencing the past 15ish seasons. You’re the one harping on 2013, 2014, and 2016. You can’t even keep your argument straight. You’re jumping around at your own convenience
Well the last 3 years FSU may have not won each side of the aac let alone the sec

The 5 years before that they could have easily won the sec east in all 5 seasons

So your point of them not being competitive recently in that division either means you are talking the last 3 years or you have no clue.

Good for Fleck, but the devil is in the details. $10 million buyout after this year which drops to $4.5 million next year and $3 million in 2021. He's locked in on paper, but the buyout isn't going to be a problem if a bigger program really wants him. He's going to get to ride out Minnesota until (if) something he really loves comes knocking on his door.

Good for Fleck, but the devil is in the details. $10 million buyout after this year which drops to $4.5 million next year and $3 million in 2021. He's locked in on paper, but the buyout isn't going to be a problem if a bigger program really wants him. He's going to get to ride out Minnesota until (if) something he really loves comes knocking on his door.
True. It's also not signed and official until it is approved in December. So teams have a shot

If that is signed and official it probably protects Minnesota for one season. After that I doubt any p5 would care

Good for him if he likes Minnesota. Doubt it was this opening in particular. He would have been up for many jobs this year and in the near future. Not like fsu sent him an offer

I'm sure they have been working on an extension for awhile but the fact it is announced a week after Taggart is fired leads me to believe the FSU opening played a large part in it getting done now.

How would they have easily won the SEC East in 2012 when they lost to FL by 11?
Could have. It was a tossup game. He said their records was inflated by not being in the sec east and that they wouldn't compete. Id say they would compete many years in that division

I'm sure they have been working on an extension for awhile but the fact it is announced a week after Taggart is fired leads me to believe the FSU opening played a large part in it getting done now.
Maybe they were scared but FSU hasn't reached out of fleck in any way yet

Could have. It was a tossup game. He said their records was inflated by not being in the sec east and that they wouldn't compete. Id say they would compete many years in that division

11 point win (including a time expiring touchdown by FSU to make the score closer) = toss up game. Nah.

11 point win (including a time expiring touchdown by FSU to make the score closer) = toss up game. Nah.
Competing in the division could be 2nd place at times too. There were years we could have lost the same amount of games in the sec east as in the acc Atlantic The point is he'd have to focus on just the past 3 seasons to say we couldn't compete. FSU many of years could have won or competed in the sec east

Competing in the division could be 2nd place at times too. There were years we could have lost the same amount of games in the sec east as in the acc Atlantic The point is he'd have to focus on just the past 3 seasons to say we couldn't compete. FSU many of years could have won or competed in the sec east

You said win the SEC East, not compete for it. Move those goal posts!

Back to the thread. Venables is getting some looks from a few teams behind the scenes. I personally think he's a huge risk. Career coordinator and I don't even know if he really wants a hc job

Back to the thread.

I'd do this too if I got caught moving goalposts.

I don't even know if he really wants a hc job

What tipped you off? The fact he's been a CO-DC or sole DC for 20 years? Or he makes more as a DC than half of FBS HC's with 1/3 of the responsibility? Or he's turned down HC offers in the past? Or his kid is on the team?

I'd do this too if I got caught moving goalposts.

What tipped you off? The fact he's been a CO-DC or sole DC for 20 years? The fact he makes more as a DC than half of FBS HC's with 1/3 of the responsibility? The fact he's turned down HC offers in the past?
No I just know you'll argue all day long and I don't feel like it. You did the same using all your other usernames. It gets old

Move on

He's interviewing for jobs So he must have some interest now

No I just know you'll argue all day long and I don't feel like it. You did the same using all your other usernames. It gets old

It it's getting old, maybe you should say something, mean it and stick to it, instead of moving goalposts until it fits your narrative.

He's interviewing for jobs So he must have some interest now

He interviewed for jobs in the past and remained. That doesn't really answer my question though.

It it's getting old, maybe you should say something, mean it and stick to it, instead of moving goalposts until it fits your narrative.

He interviewed for jobs in the past and remained. That doesn't really answer my question though.
Your question was you being a condescending ahole so I ignored it

Just telling the people who aren't here just to argue what is going on

Venables would only work with a strong offensive mind brought along. I like briles at FSU. Taggart just interfered repeatedly in coaching to handicap him. He'd work. It would also work if Jeff Scott was brought over from Clemson as oc. His father has connections to FSu.

Not my choice though. After stoops I'd go after fleck or matt Campbell. Unfortunately Campbell isn't being looked at much yet

Venables would only work with a strong offensive mind brought along. I like briles at FSU. Taggart just interfered repeatedly in coaching to handicap him. He'd work. It would also work if Jeff Scott was brought over from Clemson as oc. His father has connections to FSu.

Not my choice though. After stoops I'd go after fleck or matt Campbell. Unfortunately Campbell isn't being looked at much yet
I don't think they can really do anything out front with Campbell, Fleck, Mike Stoops or any other currently employed college coach. It's all going to be behind the scenes with the agents, of course, until the end of the regular season.

FSU doesn't have the big donor money or the huge fan base to pay for anyone they want, so anybody with a huge buyout is not going to be considered. And I don't see Bob Stoops taking another college job at this point, or ever.

Campbell would be a good pick, but he might be waiting out a job like Michigan or ND...and he will certainly be a strong candidate for USC.

Fleck's new deal prevents FSU from going after him this year.

I don't know Rhule's status at Baylor, but he's on the radar of a few NFL teams.

Cristobal at Oregon and Wilcox at Cal would be on my radar, but the Nike money probably keeps Mario in Eugene.

Norvell at Memphis would be a solid hire. I don't see mutual interest in Luke Fickell.

Dave Clawson from Wake is a heckuva coach. Give him access to the Florida talent and I think he would do very well.

I'm glad MentorMad has decided to move back on topic after moving goal posts and being incapable of objectively evaluating his favorite team. Since we are back on topic let's look at who else may be making moves:

Boston College. Other than 2015 Addizo has finished with exactly 7 wins every season and he is 43-42 at BC. With games against FSU, @ ND and @ Pitt, I think they split 1 of FSU and Pitt and lose to ND which puts him at 44-44. Does BC want to remain right around 0.500 or look to improve? I think Addizo is safe.

Illinois - I think Lovie saves his job if he splits one of @MSU, @Iowa and beats NW to get to 7 wins. I don't think 6-6 is enough to keep him save despite improving from 2-10 to 4-6 to 5-4 (currently).

MSU- This is one of my favorite questions. Dantonio never been much of a recruiter but his results speak for itself. The man gets more from less better than anyone else. However, there's been a lot of off the field turmoil between Robertson and his sexual assault, the wrongful termination suit, everything going on with Nassar and the athletic department. Other than 2017 the last 4 years have been a big decline from where he had MSU from 07-2015. Plus he will be 64 at the start of next season. This one will likely be more of a mutual decision.

Rutgers - Apparently Rutgers is going to start spending some money and try to be competitive in football instead of a punching bag. I'd still be hesitant as a head coach, there's a lot of talent but little loyalty to Rutgers there vs. somewhere like Maryland where kids tend to like the home team but want to actually win. I'm curious to see if they actually spend money and who they can attract.

USF - Strong is gone. 10-2, 7-6 and 4-4 this year and likely to lose out. After his run with Louisville I thought he would have done better at a smaller school like USF.

USC - Helton has to be gone, right? No chance his mediocrity survives a new athletic Director who will want to put his/her stamp on the school.

I think the following are around for another year with their coach:
UCLA - I thought Chip would do well here. Maybe he leaves for greener pastures, don't think UCLA can afford to fire him.
Tennessee - Pruitt needs some time. Butch was terrible and signed large classes to inflate the recruiting rankings.
VT - I think they give Fuente another year but boy things are turning south fast.
BYU - It's been an up and down year. Neither USC or Tenn are what they were 10+ years ago but those are solid wins for a G5 team and they beat Boise State. But they also lost to USF and Toledo. They should still finish with at least 7 wins and have been dealing with injuries. I think Sitake stays.

I don't think they can really do anything out front with Campbell, Fleck, Mike Stoops or any other currently employed college coach. It's all going to be behind the scenes with the agents, of course, until the end of the regular season.

FSU doesn't have the big donor money or the huge fan base to pay for anyone they want, so anybody with a huge buyout is not going to be considered. And I don't see Bob Stoops taking another college job at this point, or ever.

Campbell would be a good pick, but he might be waiting out a job like Michigan or ND...and he will certainly be a strong candidate for USC.

Fleck's new deal prevents FSU from going after him this year.

I don't know Rhule's status at Baylor, but he's on the radar of a few NFL teams.

Cristobal at Oregon and Wilcox at Cal would be on my radar, but the Nike money probably keeps Mario in Eugene.

Norvell at Memphis would be a solid hire. I don't see mutual interest in Luke Fickell.

Dave Clawson from Wake is a heckuva coach. Give him access to the Florida talent and I think he would do very well.
Good to see someone beside the former shawnkempkids among many other names responding. Someone who can actually respond without starting stuff

I don't buy that FSU has no money or donors. They just bought out a 18 million dollar buyout for taggart. They have enough money to get who they want. They won't ever have bama or osu money but they aren't poor as some make them out to be

Fleck isn't off the table until his contract is approved in mid December. He can still look around until then

You're right on Campbell maybe waiting out a Midwest job. He'd be high on my list but his lack of any experience out of the Midwest could be a concern for FSU

Norvell is intriguing but fuente had that program going for awhile

Dave Aranda from lsu is another prospective coach who could be good

Taggart was just hired from Oregon so apparently Nike money isn't an automatic over FSU. Cristobal has Florida ties too but I don't really think he's on their radar

I can see many positive hires out there for FSU and others. Some I like more than others. What I do know is taggart wasn't the answer so I'm glad they made the move sooner rather than later.

I don't buy that FSU has no money or donors. They just bought out a 18 million dollar buyout for taggart. They have enough money to get who they want. They won't ever have bama or osu money but they aren't poor as some make them out to be

Dave Aranda from lsu is another prospective coach who could be good

What I do know is taggart wasn't the answer so I'm glad they made the move sooner rather than later.

Everything I've read has said FSU is struggling with money, but not to the point where they're unable to do anything, obviously as they just bought out Taggart. Revenue from ticket sales are expected to be significantly less (projected at $6M less than last year), parking and concessions are also down. All that is to be expected with a program on a downturn. And annual giving has dropped by $5M per the Tallahasse Democrat. Also while you mentioned Taggart's $18M you forgot about the $7M FSU owes the assistant coaches. Now I don't think they'll have to settle for a $1M head coach or anything like that, but I it sounds like they would struggle to come up with something like $6M/year. Coburn has said he isn't sure they'll have the money to match Taggart's $5M/year contract.

Aranda is in the same boat as Venables. They are making too much money for too little responsibility to leave for anything other than an Ohio State-Ryan Day like situation. Less of the the "HCIW" aspect but moreso taking over a program that is already humming along and doesn't need a rebuild like FSU or USC.

Agreed on Taggart. Never understood the hire for Oregon or FSU.

They already offered stoops more than 5 million a year. Doesn't mean he will take it but the assumption that they can't afford to make that offer is wrong

They already offered stoops more than 5 million a year. Doesn't mean he will take it but the assumption that they can't afford to make that offer is wrong

Allegedly offered Stoops more than $5M a year. Do you have a link? I haven't seen it reported anywhere. Also, I'm just going based off the words of FSU's Athletic Director.

Also, he was slated to make $6.15M this year had he stayed at Oklahoma. Personally, I would have to make at least that to come back for a job that requires more work with the rebuild. But I'm sure the man has more money than he knows what to do with so maybe it doesn't matter if he makes $4M or $7M.