2019-20 Coaching Carousel

Noting that two declining programs think they will lure HOF coaches out of retirement isn't really trolling. But if that helps you believe this pipe dream more, go for it.
Not a pipe dream here. Pipe dream would be making it up and him never having interest. If the guy has reps at dinner and negotiating with FSU brass, then clearly there was interest. I've always said it may or may not happen

FSU isn't a declining program like Tennessee. They won a national title 6 years ago and won the orange bowl 3 years ago. Nice try though

FSU plays in the ACC. Where would they be in the SEC East? Probably somewhere amongst Sakerlina, Mizzou, and the Vols.

Florida State has actually been relevant in recent memory. As a rebuild it has to be a much more appealing job than Tennessee due to the ACC being so weak at the top outside of Clemson. A competent coach should have them in the top-2 of their league consistently by the third year.

In 2016, they went 10-3, finished third in the Atlantic, and got into the Orange Bowl because Clemson went to the playoff. You’re probably hanging your hat on their victory over Florida, but FSU lost to Louisville and North Carolina that year. Playing a full SEC schedule, it seems unlikely they’d have performed as well. 4 losses seems likely, more if they had to play good SEC West teams. Maybe they still would have managed to win the SEC East that year but only because it was atrocious; Florida won it at 8-3 and got demolished by Alabama in the SECCG.

In 2016, they went 10-3, finished third in the Atlantic, and got into the Orange Bowl because Clemson went to the playoff. You’re probably hanging your hat on their victory over Florida, but FSU lost to Louisville and North Carolina that year. Playing a full SEC schedule, it seems unlikely they’d have performed as well. 4 losses seems likely, more if they had to play good SEC West teams. Maybe they still would have managed to win the SEC East that year but only because it was atrocious; Florida won it at 8-3 and got demolished by Alabama in the SECCG.
So you just called the sec east atrocious. But you don't think FSU could have won it? They'd have more losses playing a sec east schedule in 2016 when they beat the sec champ in Florida ?

Doubt it. The acc was actually the best conference in 2016. You have a very short memory. Was a great year top to bottom for the conference with Clemson winning the national title and FSU winning the orange bowl.

The sec east was so atrocious 3 years ago but you are using it now to down FSU. See how that works ? If a few sec east teams can go from atrocious to good in that amount of time then why is FSU dead and buried after 3 bad years ?

You make no sense at all

That year the SEC East was atrocious. Tennessee nearly won it. But sure hang your hat on that cherry picked season 3 years ago to prove FSU’s relevancy

That year the SEC East was atrocious. Tennessee nearly won it. But sure hang your hat on that cherry picked season 3 years ago to prove FSU’s relevancy
Well it was only 3 years ago. You just propped up the sec east saying where would fsu be in that division....then proceeded to say the divisions was atrocious just 3 seasons ago when I said FSU could win it.

So obviously FSU isn't some dying program after only 3 years of being down and things can shift in college football

The one thing I have heard through a pro agent is they would like if possible to get a guy before the early signing period so I would limit the rumors to the dudes currently without a job or ones that would leave their team before the season ends, (Kiffen). If they do not get a guy that the folks with $s want in the next week or so they are probably going full rebuild with a young energy guy named in January to see if they can get some recruits to sign in February.

The one thing I have heard through a pro agent is they would like if possible to get a guy before the early signing period so I would limit the rumors to the dudes currently without a job or ones that would leave their team before the season ends, (Kiffen). If they do not get a guy that the folks with $s want in the next week or so they are probably going full rebuild with a young energy guy named in January to see if they can get some recruits to sign in February.
You heard that through some pro agent? Sure you didn't hear they wanted a coach by the end of the season from the FSU AD in a public presser for all to see yesterday afternoon?

End of season is ambiguous. Could easily mean right before bowls start when many coaches move on to new jobs.

Stoops would have been the only guy done before the end of the regular season. Everyone else would wait including kiffin who is in a championship race in conference USA

Well it was only 3 years ago. You just propped up the sec east saying where would fsu be in that division....then proceeded to say the divisions was atrocious just 3 seasons ago when I said FSU could win it.

So obviously FSU isn't some dying program after only 3 years of being down and things can shift in college football

You don't see the ridiculousness of claiming one of FSU's better seasons + a down year for the SEC East as proof of relevancy and hypothetical competitiveness in the SEC? You're completely ignoring the fact they'd have to play SEC West teams. They'd struggle to beat Texas A&M most years, let alone LSU, Auburn, or Alabama.

FSU IS down. They aren't a relevant program. COULD they be? Sure. So could a lot of programs. It doesn't mean anything.

You don't see the ridiculousness of claiming one of FSU's better seasons + a down year for the SEC East as proof of relevancy and hypothetical competitiveness in the SEC? You're completely ignoring the fact they'd have to play SEC West teams. They'd struggle to beat Texas A&M most years, let alone LSU, Auburn, or Alabama.

FSU IS down. They aren't a relevant program. COULD they be? Sure. So could a lot of programs. It doesn't mean anything.
That's bogus. 2016 wasn't one of fsu's best seasons. They won the national title in 2013 and in 2014 had an undefeated regular season getting to the playoff

How many of those sec east teams have been relevant lately ? Georgia had a couple good years. Haven't won a title since 1980. Tennessee was lucky our QB weinke got hurt in 98 or they'd have no titles. Florida last won before our last one. Had two 4 win seasons in the last 5 years

FSU has a very good record vs the sec over their history. You seem to not have a lot of knowledge on the sport at all Check their records over the years vs lsu. They just beat Auburn for their last national title. Texas a&m? Are you fricken serious ? Sure they could beat FSU now but most years no they wouldn't

The sec east sucked for a few seasons just 3 years ago and a lil more. You are acting like fsu can't get back and they haven't jsut recently been relevant. It's completely bogus

Last edited:
FSU isn't a declining program like Tennessee. They won a national title 6 years ago and won the orange bowl 3 years ago. Nice try though

They then went 7-6, 5-7 and will finish this year 6-6 at best. 2017 recruiting class ranked 6th, 2018 11th, 2019 19th. Seems like declining to me.

They then went 7-6, 5-7 and will finish this year 6-6 at best. 2017 recruiting class ranked 6th, 2018 11th, 2019 19th. Seems like declining to me.
Was Florida a declining program when they won 4 games twice in the last 5 years ?

Yeah no crap FSU had 3 bad years. Teams having good years don't fire their coach during the season after less than 2 seasons. They made a terrible hire just like Florida did with Jim mcelwain. They get the next one right and they can easily be competitive again

Also recruiting classes go down when you change coaches and get it wrong. Jimbo stopped recruiting for FSU then taggart came late and now taggart is canned. That's to be expected

That's bogus. 2016 wasn't one of fsu's best seasons. They won the national title in 2013 and in 2014 had an undefeated regular season getting to the playoff

How many of those sec east teams have been relevant lately ? Georgia had a couple good years. Haven't won a title since 1980. Tennessee was lucky our QB weinke got hurt in 98 or they'd have no titles. Florida last won before our last one. Had two 4 win seasons in the last 5 years

FSU has a very good record vs the sec over their history. You seem to not have a lot of knowledge on the sport at all Check their records over the years vs lsu. They just beat Auburn for their last national title. Texas a&m? Are you fricken serious ? Sure they could beat FSU now but most years no they wouldn't

The sec east sucked for a few seasons just 3 years ago and a lil more. You are acting like fsu can't get back and they haven't jsut recently been relevant. It's completely bogus

Now you're going back 7 seasons, almost two complete team cycles to prove relevancy. There's really nothing anyone can say when you're going to be this thickheaded.

There's more to being relevant than having one really good, championship year or back-to-back good seasons. FSU hasn't done much of anything since 2014. They made an Orange Bowl because Clemson made it to the playoff, otherwise they'd have gotten rocked by LSU in the Citrus Bowl.

Now you're going back 7 seasons, almost two complete team cycles to prove relevancy. There's really nothing anyone can say when you're going to be this thickheaded.

There's more to being relevant than having one really good, championship year or back-to-back good seasons. FSU hasn't done much anything since 2014. They made an Orange Bowl because Clemson made it to the playoff, otherwise they'd have gotten rocked by LSU.
So now you're going to use hypothetical matchups to guess a point. FSU beat a big 10 runner up Michigan in the orange bowl. Wasn't some chump team

This is your problem. You give FSU no credit for what they did in the recent past saying the sec east was atrocious or they'd just loss other made up matchups.

Then you proceed to use the sec east currently because Florida and georgia turned it around in the past 3 years ..and you act like fsu can't do the same and are some dying program

It's not being thickheaded to argue with someone who clearly doesn't know much about the sport or it's history. Try to label me all you want but you defeated your own idiotic argument when you brought the sec east into the fray

No, I'm not using a hypothetical match-up to prove anything. Florida State would have played LSU if Clemson hadn't qualified for the playoff. You have been using their Orange Bowl appearance as proof of quality and relevancy when it it was nothing more than being the next best option (because it's a bigger program than Louisville). They didn't even finish second in their division that year, let alone the conference.

The point about the SEC East was pretty clear: FSU plays in typically the weakest P5 conference. You're not taking that into account when pointing to their season records.

You're trying to inflate their accomplishments because you're insecure about the fact the 90s are over and the program is struggling.

No, I'm not using a hypothetical match-up to prove anything. Florida State would have played LSU if Clemson hadn't qualified for the playoff. You have been using their Orange Bowl appearance as proof of quality and relevancy when it it was nothing more than being the next best option (because it's a bigger program than Louisville). They didn't even finish second in their division that year, let alone the conference.

The point about the SEC East was pretty clear: FSU plays in typically the weakest P5 conference. You're not taking that into account when pointing to their season records.

You're trying to inflate their accomplishments because you're insecure about the fact the 90s are over and the program is struggling.
There's no proof that FSU would have been crushed by lsu that year. So yes you are citing a matchup that didn't even happen as your proof. It's laughable.

Your point about the sec east makes zero sense. You are acting like the sec east is always some juggernaut and FSU couldn't win it. FSU has a very good record vs the sec as a whole. Your lsu program is owned by FSU all time for example.

The sec east was irrelevant and atrocious (your words) just 3 years ago. And that hasn't been their only down season in the not so distant past. So if a few of those teams can rebound then why would you act like fsu can't be relevant agsin after 3 bad years ,? Floridsa made a bad hire and came back. FSU can too

I'm not insecure about anything. You just don't know your history and the history of the sport as a whole. FSU has historically done very well vs the sec and had their success playing tougher scheduleds than the sec. The sec wasn't always what it is now. These things go in cycles. Back then FSU played hard schedules by scheduling the top teams which weren't in the sec for the most part

Also the ACC has been better than the PAC 12 and big 12 in recent years. This year the acc trash but its hardly the regular worst of the p5 conference s

Last edited:
You're now intentionally misinterpreting what was written because you can't counter what was actually said.

They wouldn't have the records they've had if they played in the SEC. That was the point; their records are inflated by virtue of playing in a weak conference. I'm tired of repeating myself.

Can you read, dude? I mean seriously. How many times do I have to say FSU is capable of coming back? The problem is, you're acting like they're still relevant because of a backed-in Orange Bowl appearance 3 years ago and a couple good seasons 6-7 seasons ago.

You're clearly insecure otherwise you'd be more honest in your responses. Deliberate misinterpretations are a clear sign of issues accepting reality.

Was Florida a declining program when they won 4 games twice in the last 5 years ?

What does Florida have to do with FSU declining? Stop deflecting.

Yeah no crap FSU had 3 bad years. Teams having good years don't fire their coach during the season after less than 2 seasons. They made a terrible hire just like Florida did with Jim mcelwain. They get the next one right and they can easily be competitive again

Also recruiting classes go down when you change coaches and get it wrong. Jimbo stopped recruiting for FSU then taggart came late and now taggart is canned. That's to be expected

Sounds like you agree that FSU is declining.

You're now intentionally misinterpreting what was written because you can't counter what was actually said.

They wouldn't have the records they've had if they played in the SEC. That was the point; their records are inflated by virtue of playing in a weak conference. I'm tired of repeating myself.

Can you read, dude? I mean seriously. How many times do I have to say FSU is capable of coming back? The problem is, you're acting like they're still relevant because of a backed-in Orange Bowl appearance 3 years ago and a couple good seasons 6-7 seasons ago.

You're clearly insecure otherwise you'd be more honest in your responses. Deliberate misinterpretations are a clear sign of issues accepting reality.
You again clearly don't know your history ! FSU once again has a great record vs the sec all time. They'd have the same records in their history playing the sec east. FSU played tougher teams than the sec when they were in their glory years. The sec wasn't always what it is now

I can say the same on any non sec league. If you are talking about recent years the sec has been the best. It isn't just acc teams who would have harder schedules going there. That said you are acting like thh sec east is always awesome. It isn't. There would have been plenty of years FSU won that in recent history and overall history

Sure FSU has been bad the past 3 years. And the sec sucked in the years right before that

If you are going right now then FSU isn't very good. Nor is usc. Doesn't make them irrelevant. Just makes them down now. Both can return. This isn't a Nebraska or Tennessee situation

What does Florida have to do with FSU declining? Stop deflecting.

Sounds like you agree that FSU is declining.
Just trying to see what you deem irrelevant. Aren't most programs who fire their coach bad at that time ? But those programs can easily comeback with a good hire. FSU can too.

No I don't agree that FSU is declinjng . 3 bad years doesn't mean a program is dead

You again clearly don't know your history ! FSU once again has a great record vs the sec all time. They'd have the same records in their history playing the sec east. FSU played tougher teams than the sec when they were in their glory years. The sec wasn't always what it is now

I can say the same on any non sec league. If you are talking about recent years the sec has been the best. It isn't just acc teams who would have harder schedules going there. That said you are acting like thh sec east is always awesome. It isn't. There would have been plenty of years FSU won that in recent history and overall history

Sure FSU has been bad the past 3 years. And the sec sucked in the years right before that

If you are going right now then FSU isn't very good. Nor is usc. Doesn't make them irrelevant. Just makes them down now. Both can return. This isn't a Nebraska or Tennessee situation

Right. You're insecure about the team not being relevant and the 90s being over. Glad we've cleared that up.

You’re bringing up the 90s in a discussion about the last few years my dude. Just take the L
You were saying FSU record is inflated. So I brought up how they played the sec tough and played even tougher competition. Their records aren't inflated

And lately for you is apparently just the 3 years that FSU was down. Just the past ,3 years. Because FSU could have won or competed at the very least well in the sec east from 2012-2016

You were saying FSU record is inflated. So I brought up how they played the sec tough and played even tougher competition. Their records aren't inflated

And lately for you is apparently just the 3 years that FSU was down. Just the past ,3 years. Because FSU could have won or competed at the very least well in the sec east from 2012-2016

Yes, recently. Not in 1996.