2019-20 Coaching Carousel

If someone could ever land the talent of NJ there’s no reason Rutgers couldn’t be on a level of MSU or a little higher most seasons. Same goes for Maryland.

Maryland recently changed ADs, so maybe things will turn around there. Then again, the new coach seems like an atrocious hire.

Hobbs at Rutgers has no excuses. Year 5 for him. He has to be feeling some pressure.

I don’t know if Schiano’s schtick is still viable. It’s been almost 10 years since he left for Tampa. How was he as a recruiter at OSU?

Last edited:
Willie Taggart bites the dust.

I wonder if they will eliminate the swimming program at FSU to help come up with the $17 million needed to buy out Taggert?

Nonetheless is Florida State starting to go down the path of irrelevance? Tallahassee is nothing special and is located in SEC country, so while in fertile recruiting grounds they are not getting the results they should from the players they are pulling in. To me this gig smells like a great landing place for Mike Leach and his act. A few other names mentioned are Bob Stoops and Brian Kelly, unless those guys are looking for a quick payday I just don't see either of them heading to Tallahassee. Realistically if they don't get Leach they will probably get the hottest Group of 5 coach from the south that will come over and give it a try.

Florida State would be a good place for a young, eager coach trying to get their career going, and build a winner. They are not that far removed from their glory days with Jimbo Fisher, so it can be done. The state of Florida has a ton of high school talent, so the talent is always going to be there. My guess is if the Seminols get the right guy, they'll be right back in the mix in few years.

USC names a new AD this past week too, this usually means if the flagship sport is struggling a new coach will be on the horizon. If Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops doesn't want to coach again this could be the place for a guy that wants a flashy landing place with an act. It might be too "Midwest" for USC but PJ Fleck might be a good hire for Troy, he can recruit and wins.

Fleck is one of the main candidates at FSU I've heard. Also norvell from Memphis, Napier fom ul Lafayette, a few Clemson assistants etc I hope Dave Aranda the DC from lsu is targeted

They won a national title 6 years ago and were in the playoffs and orange bowl 5 and 3 years ago respectively.

Jimbo Fisher was great while here but he sabotaged the program on the way out. Then they made a terrible hire in taggart. It's been 3 terrible years but I think you're being way too quick in burying the program. They have the money , facilities and recruiting area to be a power again soon if they make the right hire

Florida may have a lot of HS talent but it gets picked at by every major program in the country. Tough place to recruit; if it was easy Miami would’ve never stopped being a powerhouse.

Florida may have a lot of HS talent but it gets picked at by every major program in the country. Tough place to recruit; if it was easy Miami would’ve never stopped being a powerhouse.
Miami plays in an NFL stadium. Doesn't have the facilities. Is a private school etc. It's not nearly the same situation. They aren't positioned well to succeed. FSU is

The kids in Florida will of course go to many programs. Ohio has lost players to southern schools too. But the big 3 still mean a lot down there

Also Bob Stoops talk to FSu is going around. If he did come in and got some good young assistants , he could stabilize things and change the crappy culture Jimbo left. Then let the young guys take over

True, but they still get the pick of the lot in the home state. Many kids still like family and friends to be able to go to some games.

It's not really that surprising Miami and FSU fell off once national recruiting completely overtook regional recruiting. The problem isn't Miami or FSU's facilities or surroundings, it's that instead of battling each other and a few SEC and ACC schools for recruiting, they now have to fend off the entire SEC, ACC, Big Ten, PAC 12, Big 12, and AAC schools as well. The same goes for programs in California. Teams like Washington and Oregon were rarely very good until about 15-ish years ago. Now they hit Cali and Texas hard, and teams like Cal, UCLA, USC, Texas, Nebraska, etc. have a harder time.

True, but they still get the pick of the lot in the home state. Many kids still like family and friends to be able to go to some games.

This is incorrect and hasn't been the case since 2015. The FL schools have only signed 24% of the top 5 players in the state over the last 5 years. Half of those signings came in 2015. Remove 2015 and they have only signed 15% of the top 5 recruits over the last 4 years.

Last edited:
It's not really that surprising Miami and FSU fell off once national recruiting completely overtook regional recruiting. The problem isn't Miami or FSU's facilities or surroundings, it's that instead of battling each other and a few SEC and ACC schools for recruiting, they now have to fend off the entire SEC, ACC, Big Ten, PAC 12, Big 12, and AAC schools as well. The same goes for programs in California. Teams like Washington and Oregon were rarely very good until about 15-ish years ago. Now they hit Cali and Texas hard, and teams like Cal, UCLA, USC, Texas, Nebraska, etc. have a harder time.
FSU completely fell off? Do you think this recruiting change happened just 3 seasons ago?

In 2013 FSU won the national title. Only 1 year before osu and their last title

In 2014 FSU had an undefeated regular season and 29 game winning streak. Lost in the playoff

In 2015 FSU lost a new year's 6 game to Houston

In 2016 FSU won the orange bowl over Michigan

They've had 3 bad seasons but this so called recruiting change hasn't happened in that short amount of time. Jimbo Fisher torpedoed the program on his way out. The apt scores were a joke and he stopped recruiting. Then FSU made a bad hire

Don't compare them to Miami who has never even won the acc and has been irrelevant for almost two decades. FSU is in a completely different situation than miami

The Florida Gators had a few down years. Made the right hire and are competing after a few years.

This is incorrect and hasn't been the case since 2015. The FL schools have only signed 24% of the top 5 players in the state over the last 5 years. Half of those signings came in 2015. Remove 2015 and they have only signed 15% of the top 5 recruits over the last 4 years.
5 players is very small sample size and completely flawed logic. FSU and UF will get plenty of good players from Florida if they have the right coaches in place. Also those schools recruits nationally too. Jalen Ramsey from California helped FSU win their last title 6 years ago They go to Texas , virginia Georgia etc too

FSU completely fell off? Do you think this recruiting change happened just 3 seasons ago?

In 2013 FSU won the national title. Only 1 year before osu and their last title

In 2014 FSU had an undefeated regular season and 29 game winning streak. Lost in the playoff

In 2015 FSU lost a new year's 6 game to Houston

In 2016 FSU won the orange bowl over Michigan

They've had 3 bad seasons but this so called recruiting change hasn't happened in that short amount of time. Jimbo Fisher torpedoed the program on his way out. The apt scores were a joke and he stopped recruiting. Then FSU made a bad hire

Don't compare them to Miami who has never even won the acc and has been irrelevant for almost two decades. FSU is in a completely different situation than miami

The Florida Gators had a few down years. Made the right hire and are competing after a few years.

Yes, they fall off. Bowden's final years 5-6 were at best mediocre. Jimbo had to basically ignore grades to recruit/win there, then skipped town once he felt the heat coming.

5 players is very small sample size and completely flawed logic. FSU and UF will get plenty of good players from Florida if they have the right coaches in place. Also those schools recruits nationally too. Jalen Ramsey from California helped FSU win their last title 6 years ago They go to Texas , virginia Georgia etc too

Of course it's a small sample size. The elite is always a small samples size. It isn't flawed logic to look at the best recruits from a state and notice they are going to OSU, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama instead of Florida, Miami and Florida State, especially when responding to a post that claims the FL schools still get their pick of the lot.

I couldn't careless that FSU is getting players from California.

Yes, they fall off. Bowden's final years 5-6 were at best mediocre. Jimbo had to basically ignore grades to recruit/win there, then skipped town once he felt the heat coming.
Your definition of fallen off is very inaccurate to say the least. They've had 3 bad years. Florida has had two 4 win seasons in the last 5 years. Why not include them ?

Ignore facts all you want but FSU can still be a championship title threat. Clemson is doing rather well in the acc while being in sec territory. And you may wanna do a little research on how fsu has faired vs the sec over the years. May give you a little more knowledge

Of course it's a small sample size. The elite is always a small samples size. It isn't flawed logic to look at the best recruits from a state and notice they are going to OSU, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama instead of Florida, Miami and Florida State, especially when responding to a post that claims the FL schools still get their pick of the lot.

I couldn't careless that FSU is getting players from California.
So Florida schools can't recruit nationally but the other schools can. Got it ...

Maybe Florida and FSU are getting good players from different places too

Your definition of fallen off is very inaccurate to say the least. They've had 3 bad years. Florida has had two 4 win seasons in the last 5 years. Why not include them ?

Ignore facts all you want but FSU can still be a championship title threat. Clemson is doing rather well in the acc while being in sec territory. And you may wanna do a little research on how fsu has faired vs the sec over the years. May give you a little more knowledge

They went from being one of the premier programs in college football to struggling to win in the ACC. Between 2004 and 2009, they went 9-3, 8-5, 7-6, 7-6, 9-4, and 7-6.

They fell off about 15 years ago once national recruiting ramped up. That's what I said, and that's what happened. Jimbo coming along and ignoring academics to win doesn't change that.

I never said FSU can't be relevant again, just that it's a lot of harder now that they have to fend off the entire country for Florida talent.

Yeah they had a lot decade starting around 2002. It happens. Ohio State was nothing in the 80s. Choked like dogs in the 90s a ton of times. Programs have ups and downs

Comparing them to Miami is a joke though. FSU has a lot more recent history in their favor over Miami. They made a bad coaching hire like Florida did with mcelwain. They can bounce back like Florida if they make the right hire this time.

Miami will have a lot harder time. They play in an NFL stadium. Florida Atlantic has better facilities than miami. Private school. Way less money. Miami is hurt a lot more with national recruiting than Florida or Florida State

National recruiting has been around a lot longer than 15-20 years. That virginia dc maryland area helped FSU a lot in their 14 years straight of being top 5. Them going downhill had more to do with sticking with Bowden too long as he got old , started hiring his sons who sucked at coaching (especially Jeff as oc), didn't modernize the program etc

And no program could sustain that ridiculous ly high level of success

Last edited:
For a big name that wants to get a high level NCAA Coaching job this year it probably comes down to FSU vs. USC, in today's landscape which is the better gig?

For a big name that wants to get a high level NCAA Coaching job this year it probably comes down to FSU vs. USC, in today's landscape which is the better gig?
Both are top 10 jobs but the big names being rumored are Meyer and Bob stoops

If Meyer comes back he's going to usc

If stoops comes back he's going to FSu

I think Stoops wants to coach pro ball, hence his involvement with the XFL. Wouldn't be surprised if he waits to hear from an NFL team.

Yeah they had a lot decade starting around 2002. It happens. Ohio State was nothing in the 80s. Choked like dogs in the 90s a ton of times. Programs have ups and downs

Comparing them to Miami is a joke though. FSU has a lot more recent history in their favor over Miami. They made a bad coaching hire like Florida did with mcelwain. They can bounce back like Florida if they make the right hire this time.

Miami will have a lot harder time. They play in an NFL stadium. Florida Atlantic has better facilities than miami. Private school. Way less money. Miami is hurt a lot more with national recruiting than Florida or Florida State

National recruiting has been around a lot longer than 15-20 years. That virginia dc maryland area helped FSU a lot in their 14 years straight of being top 5. Them going downhill had more to do with sticking with Bowden too long as he got old , started hiring his sons who sucked at coaching (especially Jeff as oc), didn't modernize the program etc

And no program could sustain that ridiculous ly high level of success

Your dislike for Miami doesn't really mean anything here. FSU and Miami are very similar whether you like it or not.

Your dislike for Miami doesn't really mean anything here. FSU and Miami are very similar whether you like it or not.
My dislike for Miami doesn't have anything to do with my post. I hate Florida a lot more than Miami and didn't down them for thiose reasons or anything

They arent similar at all and my reasons are facts. Maybe you need to learn about the programs because you sound ridiculous and uninformed

The fact that you come up with that stupid retort after all I laid out says a lot about how little you know about the Florida schools

Yes, they are similar. Get over it. What you laid out were nothing more than petty differences
Actually those are all very important things. And your statement was just "you just don't like them" and "I'm right "

Again you clearly don't know much about those 3 schools at all to say the least

So Florida schools can't recruit nationally but the other schools can. Got it ...

Maybe Florida and FSU are getting good players from different places too

No, the point was the FL schools don't get their pick of FL recruits. I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.