2019-20 Central District D-4

Yes and it's Berlin Hiland,are still in the East district,along with state rank Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans and Malvern,the East district winner will be a very difficult out in regionals,who ever makes it to the regionals

Yes and it's Berlin Hiland,are still in the East district,along with state rank Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans and Malvern,the East district winner will be a very difficult out in regionals,who ever makes it to the regionals

Yes i agree with you, but there is only 1 team in SE Ohio that Grandview has to worry about. If they would have came to Dayton they are going to get two tough games instead of just one.

Botkins for Fort Loramie in the semi final
Jackson Center in the Regional final who lost by 2 in Overtime to #1 Columbus Grove Saturday night........

No clue how good Wellington or Grandview is, but that UD regional will be a tough one.

The draw is over and the bracket is set! Grandview Heights did end up with the 1 seed despite losing to Wellington, so I guess the coaches didn't factor their first matchup into the equation much. Here's the complete list:

1) Grandview Heights
2) Wellington
3) Berne Union
4) East Knox
5) Newark Catholic
6) Fisher Catholic
7) Shekinah Christian
8) Patriot Prep
9) Delaware Christian
10) Cardington-Lincoln
11) Millersport
12) Ridgedale
13) Granville Christian
14) Tree of Life
15) Grove City Christian
16) KIPP Columbus
17) Fairfield Christian
18) Northside Christian
19) Danville
20) Madison Christian

Other than the top two seeds, I think this was as much of a toss up as any year I can remember. I also think 3-16 could all beat each other on any given night, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of "upsets." One obvious one that I think is a little off is Tree of Life being above Grove City Christian and KIPP, especially since Tree lost to KIPP by 8 and lost to GCC by 35.

Other observations based on seeds and when a team would have placed themselves in the bracket:

- Grandview Heights chose the Athens route. I don't know the regional aspect very well. Is Hiland in that region this year? Otherwise, would they play New Boston or Peebles perhaps? I really don't know much about the southeast other than I've heard New Boston had a soft schedule and is overrated, but that's just what I've read on message boards so who knows?

- I always find it interesting with two brackets to see where the #3-5 teams pick. #3 Berne went to Wellington's District but did not choose a play-in game, which seems pretty customary. Must go along with that thought that #3-#16 could all beat each other, so why risk it (although that does give a long layoff)?

- The SHOCKER to me is what happened with #4, #5, #6, and #8:
~ #4 East Knox follows Berne Union and picks opposite of a heavy hitter to potentially meet Grandview in the District finals. They also elected not to do the play-in game (they've really improved since being a bottom seed just a few years ago).
~ #5 Newark Catholic DECIDES TO LINE UP WITH #4 EAST KNOX in the Sectional finals! What?! NC picked the play-in game with the chance to face #4 East Knox on the road in Grandview's District instead of taking a bye elsewhere. Furthermore, they could have picked a different line, taken the bye, and assuming they won their first round game would have played East Knox in the District Semi's on a neutral site. So NC is taking a risk with a play-in game only to face the #4 seed on the road after the #4 seed can scout them an extra time and has more preparation. Very bold! Additionally, their play-in game turned out to be KIPP Columbus, who definitely isn't a cupcake that they can just cruise through.
~ #6 Fisher Catholic then picks THE SAME DISTRICT SEMI-FINAL AS #4/#5. I can't get over this! Newark Catholic beat Fisher Catholic by 12 at FC's home court less than a month ago. What's the logic here? Was FC missing people? It was close in the first half but NC went on a big 3rd quarter run. Did FC really want to duck Berne Union that much to avoid a potential District Semi-Final on Wellington's half of the bracket?
~ #8 Patriot Prep, who could have taken a bye and hosted a Sectional Finals game against a lesser opponent, line up with #6 Fisher Catholic! I know that they beat them earlier in the year and played them well in the tournament last year, but they could have hosted for a Sectional Title against an inferior opponent! I guess they felt this would give them the best shot of advancing to the District Finals, but that's quite the risk. Go big or go home I suppose!

- #7 seed Shekinah Christian could have lined themselves up to host a Sectional Finals and then had a rematch of last year's District Semis with Berne Union. However, they instead chose to line up with Grandview Heights in the District Semis. I'm not entirely sure of the logic, but maybe they assumed that would not be a desirable spot for other teams of similar talent and didn't want to risk losing that early? It worked, because they got paired up with Tree of Life, who they've already beaten twice by double digits. But that puts an early ceiling on their run.

Who isn't happy?
- I'd think East Knox is pretty frustrated with how things worked out. They get the #4 seed, do the same thing as Berne Union at the #3 seed, and somehow get stuck in a sectional with #5 Newark Catholic (or even KIPP) only to need to face #6 Fisher Catholic or #8 Patriot Prep in the District semis.
- Fisher Catholic probably thought they would be safe in their Sectional Finals round give the difficulty of that District Semi bracket. I'm sure they thought they might get a matchup with a #12-#15 seed, but instead got #8 Patriot Prep, who has given them trouble in the past. I still think Fisher will be the favorite, but they'll need to play well in their opener.
- Berne Union might be a little nervous in their first game than they expected. They had just beaten Fisher Catholic pretty handily but squeaked by Millersport. Now they'll probably face Millersport in their Sectional Finals. Still the heavy favorite, but enough to make them a little nervous heading into that matchup. That is assuming Millersport wins of course. Millersport split with Granville Christian during the season so that is no gimmie.
- Is Wellington allowed to be a little unhappy? They beat Grandview during the season and got placed below them in the tournament, forcing them to go to the tougher Regional site.
- I don't think Grandview Heights is unhappy per se, but if you look at Wellington's path to the District Semis, the toughest opponent they might play would be #12 Ridgedale or #15 Grove City Christian. Grandview will roll everyone, but likely facing #7 Shekinah will at least make them try a little before District Finals. They'll still put a running clock on them, but it won't be a total sleepwalk.

Who is happy?
- Delaware Christian has to be ecstatic with how things broke out in terms of their chance to make their first ever District Finals appearance. They won't be a heavy favorite in any game, but their strong defense and tough schedule should have them well prepared and able to keep things close. Yes, Cardington did beat them way back on a Monday in December, but to avoid the heavy hitters until the District Finals and still be able to host a tournament game has to have them feeling good.
- Cardington has to like their chances as well. They did beat Delaware Christian after all.
- Ridgedale gets to host a game as the #12 seed and their opponent (Grove City Christian) needs to drive about 90 minutes to get there on a Tuesday night. Should be a bit of a home court advantage.
- Grove City Christian has a realistic chance to win their opening game and get a Sectional Title despite a 3-16 record. I know they play in a tough conference, but they are still 3-16. I'm sure they were upset that Tree of Life got ranked ahead of them, especially since Tree chose to play Shekinah Christian (at Jonathan Alder). GCC beat Shekinah on that neutral site a couple years ago in the tournament, so I think they would have picked that game if they had the chance. Still, that's not a bad matchup in terms of style for GCC either. I might have them winning that one when if I make predictions.
- Tree of Life couldn't have expected to be ranked as high as #14. They lost to lower seeded KIPP and Grove City Christian (by 35). Instead of facing an opponent like Ridgedale (who they just lost to by 21) on the road, they get to play conference opponent Shekinah Christian. Yes, they've lost to Shekinah twice by 15 points, but those rivalry games and playing a team 3 times in one season can change some things. Plus, they get to play on a neutral site since Shekinah can't host (their gym floor is something like 3 feet too short to meet regulations for tournament games). Tree could have easily been seeded below Fairfield Christian as well and been stuck with Grandview Heights or Wellington for their first game.

I won't make any predictions just yet, but I at least wanted to share my observations after looking things over. I still can't believe Newark Catholic's decision. Should make things very interesting until the District Finals!

Good run down on Division IV in Central District. Grandview Hts is in a unfamiliar territory. They have played in Division III for quiet a few years and have had success but the competition level is night and day in the Central District in Division III to Division IV. Hopefully they do not fall in the trap and do not forget its one loss puts you out. Danville and Fairfield Christian will show Grandview Hts the difference in competition then what they are used to. So heading to District Semi-Finals with probably Shekinah Christian (Centerburg was upset by Shekinah last year) Grandview has to play one game at a time. Grandview Hts I think will stay focused and win the District Championship.
Wellington School will also roll to District Championship and play defending District Champs- Berne Union. Wellington has played Berne Union last few years in the Mid State Cardinal Division so they will be familiar with the Rockets.

I honestly think Grandview will roll into the state final four with their hardest test being Rosecrans or Hiland in the regionals. If Collier and Lachey are on won’t be no competition imo until State. Wellington will ease into the regionals but I think their youth and inexperience will be their downfall in the regionals. This is probably the year for Richmond Heights or a Northwest Ohio team to win it all though in D4.

Grandview beat Wellington last night in a high scoring affair. I think Grandview has a tougher road than Wellington in the District. No one is talking about East Know. They might surprise some people.

What happened in Lancaster last night? A 4 win Grove City Christian went into Fisher and rolled them.

I have heard Berne Union is playing with six kids on the varsity bench. Will they have depth issues in the tournament?

Grandview will not have any issues in the district tournament. They went 8-4 in probably the 3rd best conference in central Ohio.

Grandview will not have any issues in the district tournament. They went 8-4 in probably the 3rd best conference in central Ohio.

Definitely agree with this. I think "tougher" is a relative term. Both Wellington and Grandview can completely sleepwalk through their sectional and win without even remotely trying. Wellington facing GCC/Ridegdale might be moderately easier than Grandview matching with Shekinah Christian, but those will be running clock games regardless. Berne Union would definitely be tougher than East Knox/Newark Catholic/Fisher Catholic/Patriot Prep, but I don't think either of the top seeds will have any trouble.

As for Berne, I know they went a little deeper in their rotation earlier in the season. Maybe that's possible if they need it? McCartney does such a good job of controlling the tempo and being opportunistic that they don't need to sub much. They won the District last year going 5-6 deep the entire tournament. Might be tougher against Wellington but I think they are used to playing with no bench.

I've been saying it for quite awhile, but I believe seeds 3-16 can beat each other on an given night. GCC handling Fisher Catholic is a surprise, but not so much that it's the upset of the century. Everything is just so balanced this year. Would have been really exciting if Grandview and Wellington weren't back, but it's still entertaining to follow all the other games that lead up to the District finals.

Also, East Knox has been getting alot of love (rightfully so because they have some really nice wins), but they've also squeaked by teams like Cardington and Loudonville. I'd probably pick Newark Catholic to take them down if it comes to that.

And sorry to repeat myself from earlier, but I STILL can't get over NC's decision! Even if they liked the matchup with East Knox, why not avoid the play-in game (with KIPP, who isn't a guaranteed win)? And if they were thinking the play-in game would be easy, they still need to travel to East Knox and have a road game as opposed to taking the bye and facing East Knox on a neutral court. But hey, I'm sure they had their reasons.

Don't get me wrong, no one is beating Grandview or Wellington. I just think you might see a game a little closer than people think.

I think it would be wide open if Welly and Grandview were still in D3 this year.

Looking at NC, if they would have went in the Ridgedale/GCC spot, your playing Welly in a Semi-final. Same thing up top with Grandview. Maybe they don't think much of East Know and will have to beat Fisher or Patriot to play for a district title.

But couldn't NC have gone in the spot that FC picked? Then they would have been opposite East Knox in the semis. Then they would still host a game but play East Knox in the semis on a neutral court. If they won that, then they would have made it to the finals against Grandview. Just weird to me!

Grandview beat Wellington last night in a high scoring affair. I think Grandview has a tougher road than Wellington in the District. No one is talking about East Know. They might surprise some people.

What happened in Lancaster last night? A 4 win Grove City Christian went into Fisher and rolled them.

Two explanations, neither of which are mutually exclusive: a) FC wasn't hitting the broadside of a barn, had like 25 turnovers, GCC played well enough on both ends to win. Credit to Coach Timlin and his senior-laden Eagles, hard year for them but they played harder. b) I made this point earlier in the season, but FC is really down this year in talent but they're still the school with the biggest target on their back for four of the other six MSL-Cardinal schools. In a time where there's been one dominant, "another level" team (HP) and at least one consistently better-by-15 points team a season (in years prior, Wellington and Berne, now Rosecrans), the remaining schools see FC as a "big win" for themselves in any sport from an identity perspective. FC is getting every team's best game, period; can't really say that about some others in the league.

The more general comment I'll note is this year's Fisher is really, really, really... inconsistent, often lackadaisical, aggravating and largely mediocre. They have one of the best players in the district for sure, have some size and definitely some athleticism, and a good coach, but there are some very obvious issues with the team that a neutral observer could watch and go "oh, so THAT's why they have some of the losses that they do..."

Great rundown from Monday, Snowman.

I don't have much to add right now, but I don't believe Patriot Prep can physically host an OHSAA playoff game (same problem Shekinah and previously Africentric both did, the court size.) So "hosting" would have been sort of meaningless to them, especially if it meant having to play at Whitehall.

That’s interesting you say that about Patriot. Is it because there’s not enough room on the baselines or sidelines? I’ve been there once years ago and thought their court was gigantic (like NBA size it seemed). Maybe my memory serves me incorrectly.

Appreciate the rundown on FCs issues too. See it in every conference with a formerly dominant team that isn’t quite at the same level. They surely get everyone’s best effort.

First round games start tonight. Best game looks like Granville Christian and Millersport. I am going with the Port in this. Those two brothers can shoot it.

Are any of the teams with the long layoff picking up scrimmages? It looks like GCC plays Lakewood in a regular season game tonight and Ridgedale plays tomorrow night. Any other teams still have games left?

First round games start tonight. Best game looks like Granville Christian and Millersport. I am going with the Port in this. Those two brothers can shoot it.

Are any of the teams with the long layoff picking up scrimmages? It looks like GCC plays Lakewood in a regular season game tonight and Ridgedale plays tomorrow night. Any other teams still have games left?

That Granville Christian/Millersport game will have some of the best brother duos you'll find. Purvis's and Benvie's might combine for 15+ threes. Home court advantage will be big for Millersport since Granville tends to shoot much better in their old-fashioned gym.

Not sure about the rest of the District, but in the MOCAL Shekinah Christian has a newly scheduled game against Columbus Academy tonight. That's a good test to get ready for the postseason. Delaware Christian just played on Monday. The rest of the conference will have very long layoffs. Tree of Life will be off for 14 days prior to their third try against Shekinah. Northside will have a 12 day layoff before playing Wellington, not like that'll matter.

I feel like coaches should look to schedule a late game in the season like this. Or at least save a scrimmage. Heck, Patriot Prep will have a 19 day layoff (2/6-2/25) and will have only played two games all month before their game.

I remember watching the Purvis’s in biddy and jr high. Those two were exceptionally skilled, fast, and had a very advanced basketball IQ for being fourth graders the first time I saw them. Still remember them playing against (the combined biddy team that will later attend high school at) Newark Catholic on the main basketball court at Fisher Cath in some level of the postseason tournament for that league. They were flying up and down the court, strapping from 25 feet out and hitting reverse lay-ups. Rims weren’t lowered down, either.

They were the big cheese then of Walnut Township, and they still are. Happy to see them have an enjoyable high school career.

I feel like coaches should look to schedule a late game in the season like this. Or at least save a scrimmage. Heck, Patriot Prep will have a 19 day layoff (2/6-2/25) and will have only played two games all month before their game.

Wow, that's crazy. NW District still have regular season games this weekend and tourney doesn't start until next Tuesday

Wow, that's crazy. NW District still have regular season games this weekend and tourney doesn't start until next Tuesday

Was just thinking of that last night. Saw SE Ohio playing tournament already, knew Central started real soon. Most of NW Ohio has at least one if not 2 regular season games left. Never understood why the OHSAA hasn't regulated tournament starting dates.

It looks there will be some pretty interesting games tomorrow night. Anyone see any upsets happening?

Granville Christian went into Buckeye Lake and stole one last week. I don't see them having the physical play to compete with Berne.

East Knox-NC looks like the best game of the night. Can FC get some revenge on Patriot Prep?

Looks as if East Knox-Newark Catholic on paper appears to be the best game. Lancaster Fisher and Patroit Prep Academy I think is a pickem game. I would not be surprised if Patroit Prep goes on the road and get the victory.
Millersport played a couple close game with Berne Union and with Granville Christian beating Millersport- again on paper looks could be a decent game.
Wellington School and Grandview Hts should win with ease- however Fairfield Christian has been in some there games so they may be able to hang with Grandview Hts for a half.

Patriot’s athleticism and heart will again be too much in the end. That’s a team that has gotten better every year. Heard a lot of rationalizing after FC lost to them the first time. That’s... not good!

Looks as if East Knox-Newark Catholic on paper appears to be the best game. Lancaster Fisher and Patroit Prep Academy I think is a pickem game. I would not be surprised if Patroit Prep goes on the road and get the victory.
Millersport played a couple close game with Berne Union and with Granville Christian beating Millersport- again on paper looks could be a decent game.
Wellington School and Grandview Hts should win with ease- however Fairfield Christian has been in some there games so they may be able to hang with Grandview Hts for a half.
Grandview will win by 40 points with a running clock. Grandview’s coach taking his foot of the gas will be they only way that game is within 30. Wellington or Grandview won’t have a game within 25 in this whole district. No game should be interesting because the outcome of both of the Columbus districts is already decided.

You guys had it all along Dock. No need to worry!
I couldn’t make it, but I listened to it on WLOH. Real rough shooting in the first half, talk about a bad Fat Tuesday. Nevertheless, we overcame.

Looking forward to our postseason matchup with Newark Catholic. Hope it goes better than baseball did last spring. ?

That will be a great game Friday night between NC-FC. Cardington-Berne could be interesting as well.

My buddy told me GCC should have beat Ridgedale. Couldn't hit a FT or from deep.

The other games all went as expected.

Sectional Finals

Columbus 1

- Grandview Heights (59) over Fairfield Christian (19)
- Shekinah Christian (51) over Tree of Life (28)
- Newark Catholic (55) over East Knox (46) the day before EK wins Central District COY (very deserving, just bittersweet for him I'm sure)
- Fisher Catholic (47) over Patriot Prep (43)

Columbus 2
- Wellington (72) over Northside Christian (45)
- Ridgedale (56) over Grove City Christian (50).
- Berne Union (56) over Granville Christian (45)
- Cardington (57) over Delaware Christian (45)

The District Semi Finals sites were announced for 3 or the 4 games on Friday.
#1 Grandview Hts vs #7 Shekinah Christian at 6pm at Olentangy Berlin
#2 Wellington School vs #12 Morral Ridgedale at 8pm at Olentangy Berlin
#5 Newark Catholic vs #6 Lancaster Fisher at 7pm at Hebron Lakewood
#3 Berne Union vs #10 Cardington site not posted. IF you know please post.

If your going to do a double header would have rather had the same 4 District teams playing rather than 2 from each different bracket. I guess it comes down to what schools were or are willing to host. I thought the Grandview/Shekinah Christian would have been at Central Crossing or one of the Hilliard schools. I guess Berne Union vs Cardington could play at Hebron Lakewood since Berne Union is down south and Cardington is up north.

The District Semi Finals sites were announced for 3 or the 4 games on Friday.
#1 Grandview Hts vs #7 Shekinah Christian at 6pm at Olentangy Berlin
#2 Wellington School vs #12 Morral Ridgedale at 8pm at Olentangy Berlin
#5 Newark Catholic vs #6 Lancaster Fisher at 7pm at Hebron Lakewood
#3 Berne Union vs #10 Cardington site not posted. IF you know please post.

If your going to do a double header would have rather had the same 4 District teams playing rather than 2 from each different bracket. I guess it comes down to what schools were or are willing to host. I thought the Grandview/Shekinah Christian would have been at Central Crossing or one of the Hilliard schools. I guess Berne Union vs Cardington could play at Hebron Lakewood since Berne Union is down south and Cardington is up north.
There’s a handful of sites that got chopped out of consideration due to the host schools having a game that night, fwiw. Pickerington North comes to mind.

Said “hey” to J.R. at our girls district game tonight.

Newark Catholic vs Feeesher will be broadcast live Friday night on WLOH. You can listen to them on the TuneIn Radio app. They do a great job. One of the best sports radio coverages in all Central Ohio.