2018 NFL combine: Multiple teams reportedly ask Lamar Jackson to do WR tests

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Lamar Jackson is the Rodney Dangerfield of the 2018 NFL combine, because he can't get no respect. Jackson, a former Heisman Trophy winner who is considered a likely first- or second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, is a quarterback.

And yet, multiple teams, according to a report from Peter Schrager of "Good Morning Football", want Jackson to test at the combine as a wide receiver.

The logic here -- of the request, not the report -- is specious at best.

Read more:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-ask-lamar-jackson-to-do-wide-receiver-tests/

I think he can make it as a quarterback TBH. May not end up being that great but I think he’ll be a QB. Definitely better pro prospect than Braxton Miller or Terrelle Pryor.

Regardless of his height, weight, and athleticism, Jackson still has a small frame and teams are concerned about it. I'm sorry this bothers you.

Last edited:
Even though Patrino's offense has plenty of advanced concepts, there is just so much tape of him making one read and taking off running. People probably believe the tendency to run is as ingrained in him as dominant hand is for most people. Some may view WR as a fall-back for him on a rookie contract if QB is a fail. Makes sense.

Regardless of his height, weight, and athleticism, Jackson still has a small frame and teams are concerned about it. I'm sorry this bothers you.

Yeah, it's easy to see why they'd want him out on the edges, getting hit by smaller guys when his tendency is that he wants to run. Mayfield probably runs a 5.01 on a good day, so he's had to learn to be accurate and move in the pocket.

Barkley had a great day though. Probably secured #1 overall.

That is possible, all things considered. People make stupid mistakes all the time.

Remember how Ditka's CTE problems first presented, in the 1999 draft, or Holmgren's errors in trading up to select Trent Richardson ahead of yet another value QB pick in Weeden ? Magic #22.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/browns-gm-john-dorsey-listen-teams-call-pick/story?id=53446525

Yeah, Barkley could go #1. It's possible.

It doesn’t bother me, I could care less if Jackson even plays football, it’s just inaccurate. What deters the NFL teams isn’t his size, it’s his quarterback acumen at the NFL level. He’s simply not a polished multi-read QB and will require a lot of retraining at the NFL level. :shrug:

It doesn’t bother me, I could care less if Jackson even plays football, it’s just inaccurate. What deters the NFL teams isn’t his size, it’s his quarterback acumen at the NFL level. He’s simply not a polished multi-read QB and will require a lot of retraining at the NFL level. :shrug:

Agreed

Size, frame, whatever isn't that much of a concern. Saw this on Twitter.

Depending on where he falls in the draft he could be a good pick if you have a quarterback in front of him who will be at the helm for a couple of years. Jackson could develop and be trained to become a good NFL qb.

He is an athletic freak and talent isn't really the question with him.

Attachments

• DXOG9vCU0AAH7rF.jpeg
    DXOG9vCU0AAH7rF.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 55
I saw one Mock Draft that had the Steelers picking Jackson in the 2nd round. I can't see any scenario where this would happen. They need too much help at LB and DB for starters. 6th round? maybe.

Funny, Jackson completes 57% in a real conference and he has accuracy issues and should work out as a WR. Allen completes 56%. Should he work out at TE?

I saw one Mock Draft that had the Steelers picking Jackson in the 2nd round. I can't see any scenario where this would happen. They need too much help at LB and DB for starters. 6th round? maybe.

Somebody will take Jackson in the first 45 picks.

It obviously bothers you :shrug:

What is innaccuate here is your statement. His small frame has always been a big concern for NFL teams. Getting up to 216 doesn't change that because it's not so much about weigh as it is his body type.

Teams have durability concerns on top of skills concerns. This isn't hard.

That is possible, all things considered. People make stupid mistakes all the time.

Remember how Ditka's CTE problems first presented, in the 1999 draft, or Holmgren's errors in trading up to select Trent Richardson ahead of yet another value QB pick in Weeden ? Magic #22.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/browns-gm-john-dorsey-listen-teams-call-pick/story?id=53446525

Yeah, Barkley could go #1. It's possible.

Remember when the Browns skipped Julio Jones and got their value pick Greg Little?

Funny, Jackson completes 57% in a real conference and he has accuracy issues and should work out as a WR. Allen completes 56%. Should he work out at TE?

Both run well too, albeit with a different style.

I didn't realize how messed up Allen's shoulder AC joint/collar bone could be. He has issues beyond focus/accuracy.

That's some hardcore cognitive dissonance, but I'd probably be salty about it too. Terrible mistake

Your post was stupid, and my response was applicable :shrug:

The salient points are that this is a very deep RB draft, the likely effective years are among the lowest of any position, the likelihood of a catastrophic career-ender are among the highest at any position, and the Browns' other needs are too great to burn a top pick on a RB.

You are now nearly alone in your moronic insistence of the Browns taking him.
Should be familiar territory......just another day in saders-land!! :laugh:

Your post was stupid, and my response was applicable :shrug:

The salient points are that this is a very deep RB draft, the likely effective years are among the lowest of any position, the likelihood of a catastrophic career-ender are among the highest at any position, and the Browns' other needs are too great to burn a top pick on a RB.

You are now nearly alone in your moronic insistence of the Browns taking him.
Should be familiar territory......just another day in saders-land!! :laugh:

Pointing out the flaws of and the Browns' failures with the "value pick" philosophy is stupid :laugh: I guess drafting the best player in the draft is stupid as well.

I'm sure the Browns thought the 2011 draft was deep at WR too.

What you're advocating for qualifies as "doing the same thing over and over expecting different results" dumbazsery. It's just a retread of what the Browns always do. Solid plan Cabe.

On the contrary, after yesterday, the Browns taking him is growing in popularity, not that it really matters.

My thought is if you think Barkley is a Todd Gurley or Ezekiel Elliott level talent, you take him at 4. That's a reasonable pick if you think he is an impactful gamebreaking back. Looking at Gurley and Elliott's drafts, they clearly were not as deep as this one at RB, so that's certainly a consideration, but if the team research is that he's that good, I have no problem with them taking Barkley early.

That doesn't make sense. The Browns cannot miss one of the top billed QBs, so there is no reason to draft one of them before Barkley.

Barkley is a superior prospect to Gurley, and at the very least the same level as Elliot & Fournette, I don't think that's debatable.

Obviously he could be worse, or better, than any of those guys, but in terms of as a prospect, he's easily there.