2017-18 discussion

Monday after Selection Sunday should be called "moaners Monday". I'm tired of hearing coaches, fans whine about not making the tournament. WIN MORE GAMES!!! Everyone controls their own destiny. Most teams play what, 30 games? You have 10-12 non conference games, go schedule good teams if you want some cred. Basketball is alot more fair than football selection, where it's very subjective since there are so few games.

Worst job by the committee in years IMO. USC is 2nd in Pac12 at 12-6 then loses in tourney title game and they do not make it but Arizona St at 8-10 in league and in 9th place in league makes it because of two non league wins in December??? Totally devaluing the league games. Same thing with Oklahoma over OK St. Nebraska 13-5 in Big 10 and do not get in??? St. Mary's in top 20 all year lose in conference tourney and they are out??? They won 26 games and were a 5 or 6 seed just last week??? They need to add a rule that teams need to be .500 in league to get in.

Monday after Selection Sunday should be called "moaners Monday". I'm tired of hearing coaches, fans whine about not making the tournament. WIN MORE GAMES!!! Everyone controls their own destiny. Most teams play what, 30 games? You have 10-12 non conference games, go schedule good teams if you want some cred. Basketball is alot more fair than football selection, where it's very subjective since there are so few games.
So I guess St Mary's and Middle Tennessee should just go undefeated next time. They both won over 25 games. I agree with swish, .500 conference record or better, otherwise you're NIT bound. Can't believe the chair being from Creighton allowed the lower tier conferences to get bent over like they did. Obviously it's all a money grab, but they were wrong on so many of these selections they might as well expand, or better yet let everyone in.

So I guess St Mary's and Middle Tennessee should just go undefeated next time. They both won over 25 games. I agree with swish, .500 conference record or better, otherwise you're NIT bound. Can't believe the chair being from Creighton allowed the lower tier conferences to get bent over like they did. Obviously it's all a money grab, but they were wrong on so many of these selections they might as well expand, or better yet let everyone in.

The mid major conference should just be happy they get one automatic bid to the tournament. Most have no shot at getting outside the first weekend.

I honestly don’t know how anyone could go to bat for OK or Cuse. Normally, I don’t have a big issue with the teams that get in off the Bubble, but the Committee really botched it this yr.

Arizona State getting in over USC, being from the same conference and finishing so much lower, is a fairly egregious error

The mid major conference should just be happy they get one automatic bid to the tournament. Most have no shot at getting outside the first weekend.

That's not the point, but since it's the one you made which of the bubble teams who got in is going to make it out of the first weekend? Most of them also have no shot getting outside the first weekend. I'm talking Oklahoma, Syracuse, Arizona State, etc.

Yeah, really sucks when teams like FGCU, VCU and Steph Curry's Davidson get into the tournament. God you're a moron.

Just realized Nebraska didn't get in either. Tough with a 13-5 Big Ten record, but they really don't have any good wins

Nebraska has two things against it, no significant non-conference wins, although they were one of the few teams, maybe the only team to win the Big Ten / ACC challenge, beating Boston Collage. But other than that, their big ten season only included one game against the 3 best in the conference and they were 0-3 against them. Their season may have been different however, on a Saturday in December, they lost 73-72 to Kansas. The #1 seeded Jayhawks. They win that game, they are in the tournament with the way the rest of the season panned out.

Nebraska has two things against it, no significant non-conference wins, although they were one of the few teams, maybe the only team to win the Big Ten / ACC challenge, beating Boston Collage. But other than that, their big ten season only included one game against the 3 best in the conference and they were 0-3 against them. Their season may have been different however, on a Saturday in December, they lost 73-72 to Kansas. The #1 seeded Jayhawks. They win that game, they are in the tournament with the way the rest of the season panned out.

Boston Collage. :laugh:

Boston Eagle Collage

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_364836.jpg

UVA lost De'Andre Hunter for the tourney....broken left wrist

Not sure if it has been posted here bc it is a couple days old

Arizona State getting in over USC, being from the same conference and finishing so much lower, is a fairly egregious error

I thought so also until I looked up the teams schedule;

USC worse lost was to #226 Princeton at home; it's best victories were Middle Tenn St & New Mexico St, lost to Arz St

Arz St worst loss was At #137 Oregon St; it's best victories were Xavier, AT Kansas, Beat USC.

So whose everyone's favorite upset picks?

I like Loyola over Miami, Providence over TA&M, New Mexico State over Clemson, Butler over Arkansas and SFA over Texas Tech. Still filling out my bracket though with some subject to change.

Not too bad. Loyola beat Miami, Providence gave A&M a good game, Butler smashed Arkansas. Whiffed on NMSU and SFA.

Update from the "KU is a terrible tournament team" and "has a history of choking" nonsense...KU now has the most wins of any program since 2000 and the 5th best winning percentage of any team with at least 30 wins.

1: KU - 49 (.731)
2: UNC - 48 (.787)
3: Duke - 46 (.742)
4: MSU - 42 (.700)
4: UK - 42 (.724)
6: Florida - 37 (.740)
7: UConn - 33 (.785)
7: Wisconsin - 33 (.647)
9: Cuse - 31 (.705)
10: Arizona - 30 (.638)

Xavier - 22 (.579)
UC - 12 (.462)

Also, MSU lost to another double digit seed this year. That's twice in the last 3 years... :stirthepot:

My count is they are the 5th best winning percentage of any team with at least 30 wins. UNC, Duke, Florida and UConn are all better winning percentages. But your point certainly still stands.

Update from the "KU is a terrible tournament team" and "has a history of choking" nonsense...KU now has the most wins of any program since 2000 and the 5th best winning percentage of any team with at least 30 wins.

1: KU - 49 (.731)
2: UNC - 48 (.787)
3: Duke - 46 (.742)
4: MSU - 42 (.700)
4: UK - 42 (.724)
6: Florida - 37 (.740)
7: UConn - 33 (.785)
7: Wisconsin - 33 (.647)
9: Cuse - 31 (.705)
10: Arizona - 30 (.638)

Xavier - 22 (.579)
UC - 12 (.462)

Also, MSU lost to another double digit seed this year. That's twice in the last 3 years... :stirthepot:

1 Title since 2000... not that impressive. Izzo is a far better coach than Self, his Tournament success proves it. Yeah, they choked 2 of the last 3 yrs, but they weren’t a 1 seed and they don’t get the non stop hype Kansas does.

1 Title since 2000... not that impressive. Izzo is a far better coach than Self, his Tournament success proves it. Yeah, they choked 2 of the last 3 yrs, but they weren’t a 1 seed and they don’t get the non stop hype Kansas does.

There are only 5 schools who have won more than 1 title since 2000. Izzo has less wins and a lower winning percentage than Kansas since 2000. How does that prove it?