2017-18 discussion

Good win for Duke. IU isn't very good, but playing at Assembly Hall is tough for any team, let alone one that starts 4 Freshman.

IU will surprise some people this year. They defended Duke really well for a team with lack of size. This team does not turn the ball over, and play defense much better than years past, when we just tried outscore everyone.

Down go Pboy's Blue Devils, couple big shots by the kid from BC. Two 3s in the final two minutes to go from down 4 to up 2.

All he did was take outrageously deep 3 pointers.

The game he played at USC in the state tournament was one of the funniest videos I've ever seen. LaMelo missed 20 three pointers in the game, then in the final seconds he held the ball for the entire possession and chucked up like a 38 footer which missed badly. Kid has a huge ego and does not play a shred of defense. So I guess he'd be perfect in the NBA

The game he played at USC in the state tournament was one of the funniest videos I've ever seen. LaMelo missed 20 three pointers in the game, then in the final seconds he held the ball for the entire possession and chucked up like a 38 footer which missed badly. Kid has a huge ego and does not play a shred of defense. So I guess he'd be perfect in the NBA

Box score from that game, where the Ball Brothers took 65 of Chino Hills' 85 shots :laugh:

And some Lamelo lowlights

It really speaks volumes about how talented Duke is offensively that yesterday was their first loss. With some of the better teams they've played so far, it feels like their poor defense should have cost them by now. If K can get them to just be average on that end, they'll be very dangerous come tournament time.

Tremendous game late last night between Arizona and Alabama. Despite some early season struggles, Arizona has the talent to be really good by season's end. Deandre Ayton and Collin Sexton both looked looked the part of high lottery picks, with Ayton looking like a potential #1 pick.

Tied ball game with a couple seconds left and they have to go the length of the court, and what does Wisconsin do? Obviously run a misdirection choreographed flop to get to the free throw line :laugh:.

It really speaks volumes about how talented Duke is offensively that yesterday was their first loss. With some of the better teams they've played so far, it feels like their poor defense should have cost them by now. If K can get them to just be average on that end, they'll be very dangerous come tournament time.

Tremendous game late last night between Arizona and Alabama. Despite some early season struggles, Arizona has the talent to be really good by season's end. Deandre Ayton and Collin Sexton both looked looked the part of high lottery picks, with Ayton looking like a potential #1 pick.

Arizona is overrated every year. This is said^^^^every year. They haven't done anything since 2001 considering they get "4/5 star" recruits every year. Arizona along with Kansas are the most underachieving programs in college basketball.

Well, Duke got back on track tonight. Evansville was 10-2, the #1 3 Point shooting team in the country and Duke beat them 104-40.

[/B]

Arizona is overrated every year. This is said^^^^every year. They haven't done anything since 2001 considering they get "4/5 star" recruits every year. Arizona along with Kansas are the most underachieving programs in college basketball.

In the last decade KU has...

1 Championship
2 Championship game appearances
2 Final 4's
5 Elite 8's
7 Sweet 16's
10 Conference Championships

If that's underachieving then count me in!

Last edited:
In the last decade KU has...

1 Championship
2 Championship game appearances
3 Final 4's
5 Elite 8's
7 Sweet 16's
10 Conference Championships

If that's underachieving then count me in!

Every year, they're a high seed and end up getting bounced by a lower seed. They're choke artists.

Every year, they're a high seed and end up getting bounced by a lower seed. They're choke artists.

If you’re a 1 or 2 every year you’re generally gonna get beat by lower seeds. Really I think they’ve only had 2 or 3 bad losses the last decade or so. VCU, UNI, and Stanford. Is that more than I would hope for? Yeah. Does that mean they underachieve every year? Not in the slightest.

Edit: Honestly, I think any school not named Duke, UNC, or UCONN (read as schools with more than 1 title) would take KU's recent successes in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
This is Bill Self's tournament losses under Kansas:
2004 - #3 Georgia Tech def. #4 Kansas 79-71
2005 - #14 Bucknell def. #3 Kansas 64-63
2006 - #13 Bradley def. #4 Kansas 77-73
2007 - #2 UCLA def. #1 Kansas 68-55
2008 - #1 Kansas def. #1 Memphis in NC
2009 - #2 Michigan State def. #3 Kansas 67-62
2010 - #9 Northern Iowa def. #1 Kansas 69-67
2011 - #11 VCU def. #1 Kansas 71-61
2012 - #1 Kentucky def. #2 Kansas in NC
2013 - #4 Michigan def. #1 Kansas 87-85
2014 - #10 Stanford def. #2 Kansas 60-57
2015 - #7 Wichita State def. #2 Kansas 78-65
2016 - #2 Villanova def. #1 Kansas 64-59
2017 - #3 Oregon def. #1 Kansas 74-60

So about half the time, a Bill Self-led Kansas team has lost to a #7 seed or worse.

So about half the time, a Bill Self-led Kansas team has lost to a #7 seed or worse.

All while being a top 3 seed. Seriously, every year, Kansas is one of the most hyped teams going into the Tourney and they never fuggin win.

If you’re a 1 or 2 every year you’re generally gonna get beat by lower seeds. Really I think they’ve only had 2 or 3 bad losses the last decade or so. VCU, UNI, and Stanford. Is that more than I would hope for? Yeah. Does that mean they underachieve every year? Not in the slightest.

Edit: Honestly, I think any school not named Duke, UNC, or UCONN (read as schools with more than 1 title) would take KU's recent successes in a heartbeat.

The one fluke Title 10 years ago hardly excuses them failing to reach the FF most years. Kansas is a great regular season team, lousy tournament team.

The one fluke Title 10 years ago hardly excuses them failing to reach the FF most years. Kansas is a great regular season team, lousy tournament team.

KU has the 2nd most tournament wins of any program since 2000 (only UNC has more). But yeah, they're a lousy tournament team.

And what exactly makes their 2008 title a "fluke"?

Duke and Michigan State have both lost to 5 teams at #7 or worse in the same time frame KU has lost to 6. AKA not a huge difference. Why don't people label them as "lousy tournament teams" or "choke artists"? :shrug:

Duke and Michigan State have both lost to 5 teams at #7 or worse in the same time frame KU has lost to 6. AKA not a huge difference. Why don't people label them as "lousy tournament teams" or "choke artists"? :shrug:

They haven't lost as #1 or 2 seeds. Michigan State is the best Tourney team in college bball. The frequently make deep runs outside of being a Top 3 Seed. They're basically the antithesis of Kansas.