2016/2017 NCAA discussion thread......

jtk

IU lost to the IPFW mastadons......:laugh:

North Carolina is really good

jtk
()

Last edited:

most of the thanksgiving tournaments are pretty good though.

and yes, i agree on the mastadons..........

jtk
()

up to this point in the season......wisky is a horrible shooting team.....

jtk
()

UK has a really strong non-conference schedule, we will find out a lot more about them soon enough, but I'm not sure anyone can match their speed and athleticism. They are really really good.

IU lost to the IPFW mastadons......:laugh:

North Carolina is really good

jtk
()

IU had a big win vs. Kansas, followed by a bad loss to IPFW. This was one of those nights where IU didn't shoot the 3 ball very well, didn't take advantage of their size underneath and IPFW got things going. IPFW is picked to win their conference, by the way. One of those good mid-major programs we normally don't hear about until March.

But a closer look at IU tells me this team is young. Only Rob Johnson and Colin Hartman(injured) are the only players above sophomores. James Blackmon Jr. missed most of last season, so he's really in his second season. Add Thomas Bryant, OG Annobe, Juwan Morgan, transfer Josh Newkirk and a bunch of talented freshmen and it's a recipe for some early season inconsistency. I think they'll get things figured out. NC comes to Bloomington tomorrow night for the ACC/ Big Ten crossover.

IU had a big win vs. Kansas, followed by a bad loss to IPFW. This was one of those nights where IU didn't shoot the 3 ball very well, didn't take advantage of their size underneath and IPFW got things going. IPFW is picked to win their conference, by the way. One of those good mid-major programs we normally don't hear about until March.

But a closer look at IU tells me this team is young. Only Rob Johnson and Colin Hartman(injured) are the only players above sophomores. James Blackmon Jr. missed most of last season, so he's really in his second season. Add Thomas Bryant, OG Annobe, Juwan Morgan, transfer Josh Newkirk and a bunch of talented freshmen and it's a recipe for some early season inconsistency. I think they'll get things figured out. NC comes to Bloomington tomorrow night for the ACC/ Big Ten crossover.

Please try and go one post without adding something stupid.

Please try and go one post without adding something stupid.

Blackmon played in 13 games last year, IU played 35 games last year. I'd say missing 22 of 35 games is missing MOST of the season, so I'd say it's accurate.

Except he practiced with them all offseason, all preseason and played in nearly 40% of their games last year. So no, it isn't accurate whatsoever.

Except he practiced with them all offseason, all preseason and played in nearly 40% of their games last year. So no, it isn't accurate whatsoever.

Offseason? They practice 12 months out of the year??? Please go research the definition of the word MOST, I think that will help you.

Offseason? They practice 12 months out of the year??? Please go research the definition of the word MOST, I think that will help you.

You think players sit on their doing nothing during the first and last few months of the school year??? He was with the team for MOST of his sophomore year, so no it isn't anything remotely close to "really in his second season." If it were "really in his second season" then he would be able to apply for a medical redshirt for last year. What's that? Oh, no he can't. That's for players who appear in 30% or less of their team's games. So it's his 3rd season. Sorry you said something incredibly stupid, yet again.

Since we don't track practices and pick up games, he appeared in 13 of 35 games his sophomore season. IF he appeared in MOST of the games, he would have been in about 20+ games, since it was 13, it's NOT MOST!!! Also remember, he was recovering from a knee injury. I doubt the day after they got knocked out of the NCAA tournament, he was cleared to play basketball everyday...
Why don't you come up with your own takes instead of just tearing down others???

Stop being a fu*king idiot for two seconds and show me where I said he played most of the year.

Again, if he was playing "really in his second season" he would qualify for a medical redshirt. He won't. It's really his third year. And you're really a god damn idiot.

im familiar with ipfw, but iu jv team should be able to handle them.....jmo!

jtk
()

did duke vitale retire? i was assuming he would be at cameron tonight slobbing on izzo?

jtk
()

Miles Bridges is going to be really, really good. Duke, overall, was a much better team though. MSU just couldn't keep up with Duke.

And Duke played 6 guys total I believe. Crazy. UK and Duke are hands down the 2 best teams assuming at least two of the Duke freshmen return full time soon. UNC and Kansas in the conversation for best teams as well. I guess you could say those 4 are on the same level and there would be no justifiable argument against it IMO.

did duke vitale retire? i was assuming he would be at cameron tonight slobbing on izzo?

jtk
()

LOL

He's still around. He worked an earlier game. When I first heard his voice, I said to myself "Oh no, here we go again". Seems he has lost a step and not in top form - yet. Maybe told to tone it down a bit... :rolleyes:

Really looking forward to Saturday...UCLA/UK, WVU/VA, XU/Baylor, Gonzaga/Zona (although Zona suffered yet another injury tonight so they can barely field a team at this point)

I haven't been into college hoops this early on in a long time

And Duke played 6 guys total I believe. Crazy. UK and Duke are hands down the 2 best teams assuming at least two of the Duke freshmen return full time soon. UNC and Kansas in the conversation for best teams as well. I guess you could say those 4 are on the same level and there would be no justifiable argument against it IMO.
I don't know how you could leave Indiana out of that conversation, considering they have now beaten both UNC and Kansas.

And UK is, as usual, going to take a team with a ton of freshman and poor perimeter shooting into the tournament. Never a guaranteed recipe to consider them a runaway favorite despite all the talent

And UK is, as usual, going to take a team with a ton of freshman and poor perimeter shooting into the tournament. Never a guaranteed recipe to consider them a runaway favorite despite all the talent

unfortunately their guards our unusually good shooters.

jtk
()

Agreed with hubbs, they have one guy shooting above 40% from 3 and another above 35%. They have 3 total who shoot above 30%.

Monk and Willis can fill it up from 3. Briscoe, while still not great, is a much better shooter than he was a year ago. A couple other guys are decent shooters but don't get much playing time are Hawkins and Mulder. Fox is an ok shooter, but he won't throw 3's up all day. He will just outrun everyone down the court and score in transition.