2014 SW District

ZfishInMason

Psych sheets are up for the SW Sectional meets this weekend. No more speculation about who will be swimming what.

Lots of interesting matchups to talk about. One of the things that jumped out at me was that the final heat of the 200 free at districts is going to be very fast this year!

Last edited:

I won't make top three picks until after sectionals but will make some anaylsis.

The top 6 200 freestylers at the district meet could go on and get top 6 at state this year.

The 500 is a similar situation

The 100 free will also be surprising competitive this year. House, Cope, Frey, Hancher as well as Jack German all chose to swim it.

The 50 looks to be down this year compared to the other districts, but I expect to see a good race between Zach Apple and Jack German.

Pohlman will win the 100 back, but 2nd looks to be wide open.

100 fly will be very competitive at the top with Nymberg, Pohlman, Hancher and looking ahead at state with Mason Miller in it this year with the addition of Peter Simcox.

Hodge is the clear favorite in the 200 I.M and 100 breast with 2nd being up for grabs.

It is clear that the SW district is hands down the best district this year.

Any thoughts or disagreements?

I agree.

200 Free and 100 Fly are going to be the best races this year.

The 200 free is going to be dominated by the SW District. I personally believe that Tommy Cope can win the 200 free over all. Grant House is a very heavy competitor, but being a freshman I don't believe that he'll be as amazing at state as many think he'll be.

The 100 fly is going to be very fun to watch. You have Pohlmann, Nymberg, Simcox, and Miller all in the same event. It's going to be a race down to the wire! I know that Simcox has been a 49 this season, and Pohlmann and Nymberg have both been 50.13s.

Forget the caliber of swimming, just look at the cool factor of some of these names: Tommy Cope, Zach Apple, Jack German, Cooper Hodge, Grant House, Mason Miller, plus kids with the last names of Simcox and Nymberg, and another with a first name of Henrik. It's like a rock band plus entourage.

But on the real, I agree that the 200 free is going to be an exciting race. Cope and House go far back racing in the 200 free from JOs since they were little and I remember watching it and it seemed that one always out-touched the other. If they are in lanes next to each-other it wouldn't surprise me if we saw 37's from both. As for the 100 fly, I really think it's going to be a good race but I think it's going to come down to Nymberg, Pohlman, and Miller. I don't know anything about mason miller other than the fact that he is very fast. Nymberg has been 2 seconds faster at just about every meet this year than last year so to say that would could see him go under 48.3 isn't unrealistic in the least bit IMHO. Can't wait to see the 100 back race at state.

For these names above - and others - the goal of Sectionals is to just avoid the DQ. Seems like mission accomplished. Now it gets real. Oxford should be a blast.

Two days away from the meet and here are my predictions.

200 free: House, Cope, Slabe (George not tapered)

200 I.M: Hodge, Frey, Mcdonald

50 free: German, Carr, Apple

100 fly: Nymberg, Pohlmann, Hancher

100 free: House, Cope, Frey

500 free: Carroll, J. Mcdonald, Hove (George not tapered)

100 back: Pohlmann, Worobetz, Koloseike

100 breast: Hodge, Acomb, Lowry

TOG, I like your predictions but I think we can expect to see George in at least the top three. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Peloquin makes it into the top three in one of his events. What about relays? I think the 2medley goes to Moe, the 2Fr goes to X, and the 4FR is a toss-up between X and Moe

TOG, I like your predictions but I think we can expect to see George in at least the top three. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Peloquin makes it into the top three in one of his events. What about relays? I think the 2medley goes to Moe, the 2Fr goes to X, and the 4FR is a toss-up between X and Moe

Yeah, TOG is usually pretty spot-on. I have to agree with him on K.G. though. I mean, I think to make the top 3 in the 200 free it's going to take a sub-1:41 and in the 500 free it's likely going to be a sub-4:35. He's a monster when he hits his taper (see last year's district meet) but unrested, against some very good swimmers who are all tapering for this meet, it's sure asking alot for him to come up with a top 3 time. When he's rested at State... whole new ballgame.

I think your relay predictions are likely right but don't overlook Mason in the free relays. They will all be rested, suited and shaved for this meet and are likely to drop serious time. If Moe and X have swimmers not rested yet, it might get interesting. If everyone is rested, then I think you're predictions will stand.

Last edited:
To get top three at districts in the 200 free it's going to take a time alot faster than sub 1:42. I wouldn't be surprised if 6-8 kids were under 1:42 this year.

To get top three at districts in the 200 free it's going to take a time alot faster than sub 1:42. I wouldn't be surprised if 6-8 kids were under 1:42 this year.

I believe only House and Cope have gone under 1:40 before (1:40.29 is the USA swimming Winter Nationals cut if I remember correctly). I think you're right that several will be under 1:42... but I said faster than 1:41 (eg. 1:40.x or faster) and I'm not sure how many will get there.

If it literally takes a Jr. National cut to make the top 3 at a district meet, that would be remarkable.

Last edited:
I believe only House and Cope have gone under 1:40 before (1:40.29 is the USA swimming Winter Nationals cut if I remember correctly). I think you're right that several will be under 1:42... but I said faster than 1:41 (eg. 1:40.x or faster) and I'm not sure how many will get there.

If it literally takes a Jr. National cut to make the top 3 at a district meet, that would be remarkable.

I read your earlier post wrong. I thought you said sub 1:42, my mistake.

District Predictions

Mine are pretty close to TOGs, but here you go...

MR... Moeller, St. X, Centervile

200... House, Cope, Slabe

IM... Hodge, Frey, McDonald

50... Mpoki, Apple, Carr

Fly... Nymberg, Pohlmann, Peloquin

100... House, Cope, Hancher

500... Carroll, Slabe, McDonald

2FR... St. X, Moeller, Mason

Back... Pohlmann, Worobetz, Wray

Breast... Hodge, Lowry, Imbus

4FR... St. X, Moeller, Mason

Team Standings... St. X, Moeller, Centerville

I personally believe Jack German wins the 50 by half a second. From what I've heard the kid has a tremendous work ethic and like George (both swim for countryside) he has a hard time performing untapered. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 20 mid as he was a 21.2 as a sophomore.

I personally believe Jack German wins the 50 by half a second. From what I've heard the kid has a tremendous work ethic and like George (both swim for countryside) he has a hard time performing untapered. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 20 mid as he was a 21.2 as a sophomore.

I agree that he will go very fast this year, I just wasnt sure where he was on his taper or if he was shaving for Districts...

Good swims from the Bombers last night. Going to be a a very fast meet next week. Incredible swimming to come.