2010 Division I Regional Final: Toledo Whitmer 14 - Toledo St. Johns 10

irish_buffalo

Fighting off the no sports thing...

Whitmer won the first meeting 49-24 at Whitmer. It was Jody Webb's coming out party as he ran for over 200 yards.

The Regional Final game was at BGSU before an estimated 12,000 fans. SJ actually dominated this game but Whitmer's Joe McNabb blocked a punt right before half that was recovered by Nigel Hayes in the endzone. Whitmer struggled to move the ball all night but mustered a late drive with about 4 minutes left on the clock with Trey Sterritt scoring from roughly 10 yards out to put Whitmer ahead 14-10.

For as good as TCC has been over the last 15 years it was this game that had the most talent between two Toledo teams that we will likely ever see again. For Toledo fans it is tough to comprehend that these kinds of team with this kind of talent is an every year occurance in Cincinnati (Moeller, Elder, X, Lasalle, Colerain) and Cleveland (Iggy, Eds, Mentor).

Kids playing for each team who played D2 college ball or had offers.

WHITMER
Alex Palicki - QB - Seina Heights
Jody Webb - RB - Toledo/YSU
Trey Sterritt - RB - Wayne State
Nigel Hayes - WR - Wisconsin (basketball - NBA)
Nick Longenbarger - TE - Findlay
Storm Norton - OT - Toledo (NFL/XFL)
Nick Ledzianowski - OG - Siena Heights
Chris Reaper - OT - Findlay (D2 AA)
Kenny Hayes - DE - Ohio State
Andrew Maciolek - DT - Siena Heights
Chris Wormley - DE - Michigan (NFL)
Mike Bodi - LB - Butler
Chunky Ridley - LB - multiple MAC offers - DNP the following year due to heart ailment
Jack Linch - LB - Toledo
Nate Holley - LB - Kent State (NFL/CFL)
Nick Holley - DB - Kent State (NFL/XFL)
Garrett Clarke - DB - D2 offers, blew knee out the following year
Mark Meyers - DB - Michigan State

ST JOHNS
Brogan Roback - QB - Eastern Michigan (NFL/XFL)
Nate White - RB - Wayne State
Kent Kern - RB/LB - Miami (OH) - was QB the previous year
Cheatham Norrils - WR/DB - Toledo (AFL/CFL)
Trent Brodbeck - TE/DE - Wayne State
Zach Steinmetz - TE/DE - BGSU
Troy Favorite - OT - Toledo
Miles Ashleman - OG - Dayton
Nick Brunner - OG - Saginaw Valley State
Nate Pearson - C/DL - Toledo (baseball)
Jack Miller - OL/DE - Michigan
Jake Pennesse - LB - Eastern Michigan
Liam Allen - WR - Toledo
Matt Miller - OL - Wisconsin (back-up)
Tony Harper - DB - Pitt
Max McCormick - WR - Cornell

This is without including players who played D3 (LaPoint, Beach, Robie, etc...).

Last edited:

Nice work IB!

Norrils got himself a headline in Arena League
Cheatham Norrils leads first-place Pirates against Carolina Cobras

and was playing for Hamilton in Canadia. Pretty exciting life for a kid.

Following Storm Norton has been a travelogue, should have been a Netflix show. He had to have been called to strut at least half the NFL camps. He has showed his screen promise numerous times as he's moved from city to city and league to league. A real personality.

I was at that game and although it was clunky in parts it was a great night for local NW Ohio football. Guessing I was there bc my Irish got beat my Shaq, I mean Maple Heights.

Maple Heights was flat out sick. Shaq was one of those "it" guys. The year before I think they beat three Toledo teams in three weeks to open the playoffs (Rogers, CCHS, SF) and then lost in the title game to Winton Woods which I could not believe. 2010 they were not to be denied as they trashed everyone all the way through the finals.

I wish the Blade would pull up some old stories or interview some old coaches about these games from the past. Golden opportunity at the moment.

This game was one for the ages. Very physical on both sides and I thought the two best players on the field that night were Mark Myers and Norrills. Both made key stops the whole game. Whitmer went on the next week and lost to eventual state champ St. Ed's. They defeated Braxton Miller's Huber Heights Wayne team in Championship.

This was an unreal match with 2 teams from the same league meeting in the Regional Final.

This game was one for the ages. Very physical on both sides and I thought the two best players on the field that night were Mark Myers and Norrills. Both made key stops the whole game. Whitmer went on the next week and lost to eventual state champ St. Ed's. They defeated Braxton Miller's Huber Heights Wayne team in Championship.

This was an unreal match with 2 teams from the same league meeting in the Regional Final.

At D1. I do not believe Toledo will ever see that again nor with the same amount of talent on the field.

Looking back, I'm really surprised Ross beat WHS that year. It certainly propelled Little Giants to a solid year after an underachieving 5-5 in 09. Unfortunately for Ross, Playoff woes continued with a loss to those Johnnies.

Looking back, I'm really surprised Ross beat WHS that year. It certainly propelled Little Giants to a solid year after an underachieving 5-5 in 09. Unfortunately for Ross, Playoff woes continued with a loss to those Johnnies.
Really odd game. Whitmer stormed out of the gates and destroyed a very good Tiffin team and the younger Panthers started believing their hype a bit. Ross humbled the Panthers only to lose the following week to none other than...Tiffin.

Kidwell had success against Whitmer in the regular season. That 06' playoff game still stings Little Giant fans though.

It is really interesting as to how many good Toledo teams over the years were dealt a loss in a great season to Ross. 84' SF, 05' CCHS, 10' Whitmer to name a few.