2009 Highland Football

OhioBobcatFan06

2009 Highland Football: The Quest to Defend the SLT.

We have enough fans on here now that we should be able to get a good discussion going for next year...

This will be a reference post, I'll add my thoughts later...

Returning Varsity
6 Jacob Bernhard SO 6'0" 195 TE/LB
8 Trey Edwards SO 5'7" 135 QB/DB
12 Anthony Petrilla JR 5'10" 170 QB/S
13 Zak Penko JR 5'6" 160 WR/DB
17 Shane Popson SO 5'11" 130 WR/CB
21 Jerrod Serafin JR 6'0" 180 TE/DE
25 Stan Seleowski JR 5'10" 150 WR
26 Jake Rininger JR 5'10" 140 WR/DL
28 Gianni Chesnick SO 5'7" 125 WR/DB
31 Joe Laubenthal JR 5'8" 165 RB/OLB
32 Kory Wiita JR 5'8" 132 WR/DB
35 David Ordogh SO 5'6" 160 FB/LB
42 Aaron Maslowski JR 5'10" 180 RB/CB
45 Cody Kowalski JR 6'0" 150 WR
47 John LeBlanc JR 5'10" 175 RB/LB
57 Tyler Phillips JR 6'2" 215 DE/G
58 Collin Butler SO 5'9" 195 DT/RG
62 Ben Leohr SO 6'3" 203 OT/DE
63 Ryan Colegrove SO 5'7" 180 RG
64 Veki Nikolic JR 6'1" 243 OL
67 Bill Molchan SO 5'11" 156 DL
68 David Christopher SO 6'2" 235 OT/DT
71 Mike Moran JR 5'10" 214 C/DL
72 Matthew Cox JR 6'2" 300 OL/DL
73 Chris Justik SO 6'1" 220 G/DT
75 Jeremy Smith JR 6'1" 220 OT/DT
77 Tanner Adair SO 6'4" 180 G/DE
81 Andrew Kronenberger JR 6'1" 160 WR
85 Mitch Duale SO 5'11" 165 WR/OLB
87 Taylor Hauser SO 6'0" 150 WR/OLB
88 Andrew Schuhle SO 6'1" 137 WR/CB

Returning Freshman Roster (Sadly, no height/weight)
1 Brian Davis FR
4 Dakota Burdette FR
5 Ethan Thompson FR
8 Jeremy Scholle FR
10 Sean Scheetz FR
11 Nick Kruzek FR
12 Tim Garris FR
13 Ryan Laubenthal FR
14 Kyle Ramey FR
15 Devin Walkuski FR
16 Quinn Francisco FR
17 Lazar Vilimonovic FR
19 Connor Aldridge FR
21 Austin Gonser FR
21 Jacob Justik FR
22 Dalton Hehn FR
26 Mason Beier FR
27 Alex Koran FR
28 Colin Rininger FR
29 Jake Suran FR
30 Anthony Double FR
42 Evan Hollar FR
45 Zack Blessing FR
50 Tony Sinkewich FR
52 Michael Mayes FR
55 Matt Pedersen FR
74 Peter Gross FR
80 Ian Vikowski FR
83 Michael Marotta FR
84 Micky McCune FR
88 Dylan Falconer FR

I recognize some names for freshman, but the only one I really am fairly sure will be a Varsity starter is Jacob Justik... Besides that, I have no idea about this group. I'm sure some of you have a better idea then I do as far as last year's freshman contributing to Varsity this year goes...

Schedule as of now for next year.
08/14/09 Friday Brecksville (SCR) Brecksville TBA
08/21/09 Friday Nordonia (SCR) HHS - Stadium 10:00 AM
08/28/09 Friday Rocky River Rocky River 7:30 PM
09/04/09 Friday Buckeye Buckeye 7:30 PM
09/11/09 Friday North Royalton North Royalton 7:30 PM
09/18/09 Friday Tallmadge * (Youth Night) HHS -Stadium 7:00 PM
09/25/09 Friday Revere * Revere 7:00 PM
10/02/09 Friday Green * (Homecoming) HHS - Stadium 7:00 PM
10/09/09 Friday Barberton * Barberton 7:00 PM
10/16/09 Friday Wadsworth * HHS - Stadium 7:00 PM
10/23/09 Friday Copley * Copley 7:00 PM
10/30/09 Friday Cloverleaf * (Senior Night) HHS - Stadium 7:00 PM

Go Hornets!

Last edited:

Well, we lost our most talented Senior class ever.

Still, I'm optimistic about this year. I think it's pretty obvious that the key to this year's team is the passing attack. We bring back a pretty good line, and a game-changer running the ball in Aaron Maslowski. He doesn't have the size or power of Snook, but is still strong enough that he can still run between the tackles effectively. He also has better agility and speed, and is a threat to make a play everytime he touches the ball. Everyone who saw that 67 yard TD run against Liberty in Round 2 of the playoffs knows exactly why this is the best back in the SL this year.

The key for the offense is developing a passing attack to compliment him. It became pretty clear over the course of the season that is what made our offense last year so good, our balance. Knerem was a stud spreading the ball around and limiting turnovers... Petrilla will hopefully do the same. Knerem was pretty elusive, Petrilla IMO has a bit more of a running ability, not really a natural looking QB like Knerem was at only 5-11... I've heard he has good power and accuracy. Vision is the key though. If he can get the ball to our WR's, we're starting to see shades of last year.... Of course the other half of that is the WR's... We lose Callari and Swick, as well as Houska at TE. Although there has been talk of Serafin moving to a FB like roll, I think he will actually end up at more of a WR/TE roll, and be our key pass catcher... ScoutingOhio lists him at 6-1, 185, with a 4.7 40... Hopefully he will drop his 40 time at the combines this next month, and bulk up a bit more before the season so he can double as an effective pass catcher and a blocker. Heard a lot of other names at WR...
Penko
Seleowski
Kronenberger
Duale
Popson
Maybe even a freshman?
...Whoever it is that steps in at WR... No doubt they will be a key (if not THE key) to just how good this team is.

Defensively, we aren't hit quite as hard by graduation, although we do lose all four starting LB's... Phillips will move from DE and should be a stud at MLB for us, Serafin will move from DE, probably to an OLB role making the loss of all 4 guys much more bearable. 1 other defensive lineman returns (DT Butler), and there are some very intriguing prospects to fill the other 3 spots there as well as the two remaining LB spots. Maslowski and Petrilla return as starters in the secondary spot, the last CB spot worries me somewhat as I don't see anyone as fast as Swick and Mas were for us last year there.... This group should be just as tough to run against, and has one shutdown corner in Maslowski. Assuming two of the many guys capable of playing DE step up, we should be in good shape again on this side of the ball.

Hopefully our soccer dynasty contributes another kicker... Otherwise our special teams will be all Aaron Maslowski again. Maslowski will punt... Probably return punts and kicks too....... That said, it is good to know we have a few guys capable of spelling him at HB.

I have also heard the Serafin at FB rumblings as well. I think that will work. Jacob Bernhard should fit nicely at TE. Wide receiver is the tough spot. There is not nearly as much speed out there compared to what they lost. Kronenberger should be one receiver - he has fairly reliable hands, decent speed, and a huge height advantage over most SL cornerbacks. The other one is really up in the air at this point. We may see several of the names you mentioned get a "look see" at the #2 wideout. Jeremy Scholle (freshman) is a special athlete. He is probably the QB of the future, but he can help at wideout or in the secondary until then. Popson has good hands and has made some very acrobatic catches over the past two years, but he needs to improve his speed/strength. Duale is strong and runs well, but he does not catch the ball as well as some of the others you mentioned. I do not think I have seen enough of Penko and Seleowski to give an informed opinion. But I agree with you that this position will be a key for the Hornets in '09. One or two of those guys need to step up and make plays.

Mini-Camp Happenings

These are a few of the tid-bits I have gathered from the first few days of mini-camp -

- Tyler Phillips (Sr.) is working at tight end and inside linebacker.
- Serafin (Sr.) is working at fullback.
- Jeremy Scholle (Soph. QB) is injured and not participating.
- Chris Justik (Jr.) is working at center.
- We may end up with 2 Justik's on the offensive line.
- Lots of rotation among multiple DB's and WR's.
- Kronenberger (Jr.) and Popson (Jr.) are spending lots of time at the corners.
- Maslowski (Sr.) is working at outside LB on the defensive side of the ball.
- Petrilla (Sr.) looks good at QB.
- Not as much speed at WR this year, but more size.

Last edited:
These are a few of the tid-bits I have gathered from the first few days of mini-camp -

- Tyler Phillips (Sr.) is working at tight end and inside linebacker.
- Serafin (Sr.) is working at fullback.
- Jeremy Scholle (Soph. QB) is injured and not participating.
- Chris Justik (Jr.) is working at center.
- We may end up with 2 Justik's on the offensive line.
- Lots of rotation among multiple DB's and WR's.
- Kronenberger (Jr.) and Popson (Jr.) are spending lots of time at the corners.
- Maslowski (Sr.) is working at outside LB on the defensive side of the ball.
- Petrilla (Sr.) looks good at QB.
- Not as much speed at WR this year, but more size.
Thanks for those tidbits OTM.

Maslowski at OLB is very interesting. He could really provide for a pass rush! That would also make me think Lombardo is somewhat confident in our other CB's, or at least confident enough to allow the move of Maslowski to get him more involved on every down on defense.

Phillips at TE is somewhat surprising to me as Lombardo really praised his play at guard last year. That said, I like it... His strength/speed could really give us a YAC option in a receiving core that is otherwise very possession oriented versus the big play group we had last year. Back to the line... I figured we'd see two Justik's on the line this year. Assuming Jeremy Smith returns at T, I'm curious who the other two lineman will be.

I'm very curious about how are other ILB is looking (Bernhardt?)... Also curious as to how the depth at HB looks. That is a big concern for me at this point, that being Maslowski's durability. Serafin is going to need to take a big load of carries at FB to keep Maslowski fresh, and I really hope that we can get a solid #2 back. Even one of the most durable players we will see in HS (Snook) got worn down (broken wrist) last year playing two ways and getting a ton of carries on offense. Very interested to see who plays on the defensive line as well. With DE's Serafin and Phillips almost surely moving to the LB core, and only Butler (I believe) returning at DT, how that plays out will be interesting to watch. I still think Junior Tanner Adair could turn into a stud DE.

Thanks for those tidbits OTM.

Maslowski at OLB is very interesting. He could really provide for a pass rush! That would also make me think Lombardo is somewhat confident in our other CB's, or at least confident enough to allow the move of Maslowski to get him more involved on every down on defense.

Phillips at TE is somewhat surprising to me as Lombardo really praised his play at guard last year. That said, I like it... His strength/speed could really give us a YAC option in a receiving core that is otherwise very possession oriented versus the big play group we had last year. Back to the line... I figured we'd see two Justik's on the line this year. Assuming Jeremy Smith returns at T, I'm curious who the other two lineman will be.

I'm very curious about how are other ILB is looking (Bernhardt?)... Also curious as to how the depth at HB looks. That is a big concern for me at this point, that being Maslowski's durability. Serafin is going to need to take a big load of carries at FB to keep Maslowski fresh, and I really hope that we can get a solid #2 back. Even one of the most durable players we will see in HS (Snook) got worn down (broken wrist) last year playing two ways and getting a ton of carries on offense. Very interested to see who plays on the defensive line as well. With DE's Serafin and Phillips almost surely moving to the LB core, and only Butler (I believe) returning at DT, how that plays out will be interesting to watch. I still think Junior Tanner Adair could turn into a stud DE.

I should correct one item I posted yesterday - I believe Kroney is a senior, not a junior. I share your concerns with Maslowski's durability. I am not sure where they would turn in the event Maz was forced to miss some time. I am sure that will be a work in progress this summer. I like Adair, too. But I think we won't see him really come into his own until 2010. As for Bernhardt, he looks great in shorts anyway. He had a great off-season and looks really strong. The question with him will be how he plays once they put the pads on. He has all the ability. We will have to wait and see if he can mentally handle the jump from JV ball. It is harder to make up for mental mistakes on the varsity level just because of the increase in the speed of the game. The same will be true for Popson, Kroney, and the rest of the former JV defensive backs. They look bigger and stronger, but they will need work in scrimmages to be ready against Rocky River. They will need to develop that "short memory" a corner must have - if you get burned once you have to forget it and get right back on the horse. Sulking defensive backs thinking about the last play almost always get burned again.

In an effort to start identifying potential starters for '09, here is my first crack at the defense. I am really not sure about two of the D-line spots...

DL - 73 Chris Justik JR
DL - 58 Collin Butler JR
DL - Mike Moran SR, Tanner Adair JR, Jeremy Smith SR, Jacob Justic SO ???
ILB - 57 Tyler Phillips SR
ILB - 6 Jacob Bernhard JR
OLB - 21 Jerrod Serafin SR
OLB - 42 Aaron Maslowski SR
C - 81 Andrew Kronenberger SR
C - 17 Shane Popson JR
S - 12 Anthony Petrilla SR

In an effort to start identifying potential starters for '09, here is my first crack at the defense. I am really not sure about two of the D-line spots...

DL - 73 Chris Justik JR
DL - 58 Collin Butler JR
ILB - 57 Tyler Phillips SR
ILB - 6 Jacob Bernhard JR
OLB - 21 Jerrod Serafin SR
OLB - 42 Aaron Maslowski SR
C - 81 Andrew Kronenberger SR
C - 17 Shane Popson JR
S - 12 Anthony Petrilla SR
Looks good.

The past few years are DE's have tended to be smaller speedy guys then the guys you have listed at those last two DL spots. Serafin was listed at 180 last year, I think that is probably the median weight for our DE's over the last 3-4 years. That said, I really can't see Justic and Smith playing there unless we are changing what we play at DE to more of a guy like Tyler Phillips. I wouldn't be surprised to see that, but I also don't think Justik and especially Smith are that fast. I don't know much about Moran, Adair is a kid I've been hoping blossoms into a standout DE. I'd bet there may be a few smaller Juniors we are working at DE, I don't know who those guys would be though.

If Maslowski is in fact staying in the secondary (which I'm kinda hoping he isn't) who are the guys who would fill that last LB spot? Laubenthal? LeBlanc? Penko?

They did put a semi-updated roster up on the athletic website. The classes are right, but positions and height/weight aren't updated from last year. A couple names I don't recognize as football players last year.
http://hornetathletics.olinesports.com/roster.php?sport=577

Saw the scrimmage today - here were the starters from the best I could tell:

Defense
DT - Collin Butler & Jake Rininger
DE - Chris Justik & Jerrod Serafin
ILB - Tyler Phillips & Jacob Bernhard
OLB - Aaron Maslowski & Joe Laubenthal
Corner - Shane Popson & Andrew Kronenberger
Safety - Anthony Petrilla

Offense
C - Chris Justik
G - Ben Leohr & Collin Butler
T - Jeremy Smith & #79 (not sure if that is a sophmore or a number change on someone else)
TE - Tyler Phillips & Jacob Bernhard
WR - Andrew Kronenberger & Zac Penko
FB - Jarrod Serafin
TB - Aaron Maslowski
QB - Anthony Petrilla & Jerry Scholle

Scrimmage included Highland, Bedford, VA St. Joe's, and Euclid. Highland was the strongest team IMO. It was tough sledding between the tackles for the offense in the early going, but got better later in the scrimmage. Defense is clearly ahead of the offense, as it should be right now. Defense was solid throughout. LB's looked good. New corners played well. Gave up one long TD I saw but it was more of a fantastic catch than a problem with coverage. D-line is a little soft in the middle - maybe too small at DT? Both QB's took significant snaps and threw fairly well. Several RB's got carries. Kronenberger is the real deal at WR. Did not see Highland turn the ball over once. One concern was place kicking - looked a little shaky on extra points to me. Not as dominant as last year's bunch, but a generally solid performance for the first scrimmage.

That's encouraging to hear. The QB's and Kronenberger's performances are especially reassuring. Love the lack of turnovers. The starters make sense. Rininger at DT definitely is undersized.. Surprised Jacob Justik isn't starting on the O-Line, unless that is #79 (listed as Patrick Sours on the roster?). Our offensive line is going to need to come together...

Not sure about kicker. Martin Nesic was listed on the roster the last I saw (a few days ago), now he isn't. He would be solid if he played. I would bet he would basically be a Thursday/Friday player only, not seeing him much during preseason either Lombardo may have just gone another way.

Also, just looking over the rosters on the athletic site, two players are listed on the freshman roster with numbers, Austin Adams and Alex Balski. Otherwise just names. Could those two see Varsity time?

OBF,

I doubt those two see varsity time. Maybe JV? Also, it looked like Scholle and Maz doing the kicking at the scrimmage. But it was just a scrimmage....

Against Brecksville Maz was back at corner, Serafin at backer, Tanner Adair at end. Maz and Popson split time at corner.

Didn't matter who was in there against Brecksville. Highland dominated across the board.

river or highland? who's your pick

I have not seen River scrimmage this year, and have not heard how they did last week. I have seen Highland, and they look pretty good right now. Last year Highland dominated the varsity game. I think River won the JV game, but it was close. My guess is Highland will win this year's tilt, but not a blowout. Highland 20 River 7.

You got nordonia next should win big they lost to copley 2-0.

I don't concern myself much with the "score" in a scrimmage. I think it is more important to make first downs and stop the other team from making first downs. Was Nordonia moving the ball against Copley? Did Copley score on long TD's against back-ups? Or did Copley drive the ball consistently?

Nordonia did get alot 1 downs but dropped 2 td passes.Copley 1 td was on bad miscommunication,this is real important scrimmage for nordonia.There jv team beat your jv team 3-0 last year.They dont look like same team and it been reported of team dissension.

Nordonia did get alot 1 downs but dropped 2 td passes.Copley 1 td was on bad miscommunication,this is real important scrimmage for nordonia.There jv team beat your jv team 3-0 last year.They dont look like same team and it been reported of team dissension.

Seems like there are always "reports of dissension" in Nordonia. None in Highland! Just ridin' the wave down here.

river or highland? who's your pick

Highland. RR does provide for an interesting first matchup though, seeing as they pass like crazy, and we will potentially have 2 new starting corners. Maslowski could always jump back to corner from LB if the new ones have problems, hopefully that doesn't happen as he really may be able to get to the opposing QB's quite a bit from that OLB spot.

Offensively, RR couldn't stop Snook last year, and I don't think they will stop Maslowski this year. Hopefully ourpassing game and line can really use this game to come together.

Go Hornets!

RR does provide for an interesting first matchup though, seeing as they pass like crazy, and we will potentially have 2 new starting corners. Maslowski could always jump back to corner from LB if the new ones have problems, hopefully that doesn't happen as he really may be able to get to the opposing QB's quite a bit from that OLB spot.

It looks like they have already moved Maz back to corner. Doesn't appear to be an issue with the 2 new corners, though. They both played fairly well in the first two scrimmages. But Maz was actually struggling at linebacker. He is easily the best corner on the team, so it makes sense that the coaches put him back where he is most effective. Serafin has moved from end to Maz's LB spot. Tanner Adair has moved into the Serafin's end spot. Adair has been a beast in the scrimmages - multiple sacks in both. With Kroney and Maz going both ways, I am sure we will see some rotation with the junior corners to spell those two guys on defense.

river has a very talented qb in robby plagens and has a depth set of threats at the wide outs. Defensively the 4-4 d is solid with very fast bruising linebackers and above average secondary.Its going to be a dog fight till the end.The pirates are ready to come out and smack highland right in the mouth first play

river has a very talented qb in robby plagens and has a depth set of threats at the wide outs. Defensively the 4-4 d is solid with very fast bruising linebackers and above average secondary.Its going to be a dog fight till the end.The pirates are ready to come out and smack highland right in the mouth first play

This Scouting report from the PD on River, projected to finish 5th in the 8 team WSC:

Strengths: Good core of receivers, and Plagens has a strong arm. Good team chemistry. Players now used to Adams' new system. Krause is an All-WSC punter.

Concerns: Three inexperienced offensive linemen and four inexperienced defensive linemen. Depth is thin and team has unproven running backs.

Highland beat nordonia 16-14 with alot mistakes made on both teams.2 int returns for td.Nordonia defense was pretty good with 4 starters out on defense.

Last edited:
nordonia is not as good as they used to be you can ask anyone. they are a solid decent team now, river handled the defending state champs aurora pretty good, id say highland should be worrired.

This Scouting report from the PD on River, projected to finish 5th in the 8 team WSC:

Strengths: Good core of receivers, and Plagens has a strong arm. Good team chemistry. Players now used to Adams' new system. Krause is an All-WSC punter.

Concerns: Three inexperienced offensive linemen and four inexperienced defensive linemen. Depth is thin and team has unproven running backs.

The pirates have a new transfer in senior Drew Brown from stow munroe falls who will be playin linebacker and running back, new transfer Anderew Wenner just tore his acL. The line is bad because we have 3 of them hurt. All im sayiun is highland be ready, you have no idea whats coming, everyone will see what i mean after kick off.

Any details on the scrimmage from Highland fans? I did hear today that Serafin's knee injury is just a sprain. No idea what kind of time he will miss.

I do like that he is seeing time at HB. That really gives us another good running option to spell Maz, which I think we can all agree will be very important. Him staying at CB really gives us a lockdown guy to put up against guys like Ingol and Schrock, so as good as I thought his potential mightve been, it's not nessacarily a bad thing it didn't work out.

I'm real excited that Adair has been playing well at DE. I was hoping he'd be able to contribute there, he is built perfectly for that.

Highland qb made some good throws and some bad throws.When he was under presuure he got scared and fumbled.Highland moved the ball some but hard to tell when nordonia had 4 starters out.Got 7 points on well called screen and bad tackling.You have new school and i predict highland to win conference .