2008 Olympian Mary Wineberg - Pride of the Bearcats - Update

JAVMAN83

As an additional note, I knew Mary's HS coach back-in-the-day, and I can remember him telling me about Mary in 1995 as a freshmen 1/4-miler at Walnut & how she HATED the 1/4-mile :).

We were always glad that things turned out well for Mary.

As an additional note, I knew Mary's HS coach back-in-the-day, and I can remember him telling me about Mary in 1995 as a freshmen 1/4-miler at Walnut & how she HATED the 1/4-mile :).

We were always glad that things turned out well for Mary.
I was coaching at Walnut while she was there. Mary was really good, but not the star of the team. She had a good attitude, insight, a good work ethic and talent. And she had a remarkable ability to bounce back from disappointing performances. A fun athlete to watch compete for your team.

I was coaching at Walnut while she was there. Mary was really good, but not the star of the team. She had a good attitude, insight, a good work ethic and talent. And she had a remarkable ability to bounce back from disappointing performances. A fun athlete to watch compete for your team.

Agreed. I remember she was a hard worker. I coached on your nemesis team of '96-'97 @ Districts.

I always felt sorry for Karl at so many dropped baton passes over the years, but he really developed into a top-notch sprint coach.

i can only remember one dropped baton in all of May. Chatted with Karl a bunch on relay strategy and technique when I was coaching Abby Steiner.

i can only remember one dropped baton in all of May. Chatted with Karl a bunch on relay strategy and technique when I was coaching Abby Steiner.

It was at Regional & State that dropped batons usually plagued Karl. My memory is extending to 2010 when he was last there.

I went over to Karl's house twice in Hyde Park when he was the keeper of the Cincinnati city records. I loved taking to him about historical data about track & field in Cincinnati.

Interesting that both UC medalist from Beijing were good in high school, then really good in college and peaked at the best time possible.