20-21 Federal League Basketball

Exhibit A why we need Harbins in basketball.
Growing up I liked the idea that every team could play. Bred heaps of upsets. (Much like what just happened to Triway against Orrville.
But working around Pittsburgh for a few years I liked that only the better teams made the WPIAL/PIAA tournaments.
It made a lot of sense not to see the roadkill teams playing useless games.
Plus, making the playoffs was a reward for playing well all season long.

I don't mind letting all the teams play in the tournament. If the OHSAA made it so half of the teams missed the tournament, it would only shorten the season by one game. If that extra round gives us twenty scores like the McKinley-Kenmore game tonight, but one historic upset like Orville pulled off last night, then I say its worth keeping.

I don't mind letting all the teams play in the tournament. If the OHSAA made it so half of the teams missed the tournament, it would only shorten the season by one game. If that extra round gives us twenty scores like the McKinley-Kenmore game tonight, but one historic upset like Orville pulled off last night, then I say its worth keeping.

I would also keep every team in, but I would force a bye on the top seeds to at least weed out one of the teams you know is taking a 40 to 50 point loss. For example, if McKinley is forced up top in the bye, tonight it would have been Kenmore-Cuyahoga Falls. That probably is at least somewhat close. Now, McKinley is going to take both out by as many as they want.

I would also keep every team in, but I would force a bye on the top seeds to at least weed out one of the teams you know is taking a 40 to 50 point loss. For example, if McKinley is forced up top in the bye, tonight it would have been Kenmore-Cuyahoga Falls. That probably is at least somewhat close. Now, McKinley is going to take both out by as many as they want.
I agree with that. The last 5 years, when Canton had its own district, there were 13 teams and the seeding was automatically decided by the coaches voting. No one got to pick who they played. I liked that much better. Now they brought back the super-districts in NEO for some insane reason.

I agree with that. The last 5 years, when Canton had its own district, there were 13 teams and the seeding was automatically decided by the coaches voting. No one got to pick who they played. I liked that much better. Now they brought back the super-districts in NEO for some insane reason.

I don't mind the super district approach, it eliminates loaded districts for the most part. Though dividing the Northeast District teams between East-West and then lumping the eastside dominated LEL into the west tilted the power a bit in the west direction. Though one was going back to the east anyway at regional, so that's overall minor. Really, so are some of the lopsided scores. But in this case, a handful could have been eliminated if the top seeds were locked into a bye.

And not taking the bye really has nothing to do with staying sharp, it's more padding stats, especially if you have a player who can reach a certain milestone or climb up a leaderboard. I don't really blame a coach for that, but just saying what if Kobe Johnson gets hurt in a meaningless game. I'm sure Bob Huggins would privately have a "WTF" chat with the McKinley coach.

But I get it, there isn't a perfect solution so probably not worth dwelling over in the grand scheme of things.

JACKSON 83, ELLET 45 Jackson jumped out to a 23-8 lead after the first quarter and cruised to a victory over Ellet in a sectional semifinal game. Michael Skeriotis led Jackson (20-3) with 23 points while Mack Kistler and Kevin James contributed 10 points each. Jordan Williams had a double-double of 12 points and 11 rebounds for Ellet. Jackson advances to host Warren Harding on Saturday at 7 p.m. in a sectional final.

PERRY 64, ALLIANCE 61 Quentin Toles scored 26 points as the Panthers held off visiting Alliance in a sectional semifinal. Haytham Hmeidan added 14 points for Perry (6-12), which snapped a seven-game losing streak. Brandon Alexander led the Aviators (12-9) with 28 points. No. 19 seed Perry advances to play at No. 5 Walsh Jesuit in a sectional final on Saturday at 7 p.m.

MCKINLEY 79, KENMORE-GARFIELD 19 Kobe Johnson scored 19 points as the Bulldogs cruised to a sectional semifinal win at Memorial Field House. Brent Walker added 17 points and Mehki Smith 15 for McKinley (15-6), with all of Smith’s points coming on five 3-pointers. The Bulldogs, the No. 2 overall seed in the district, led 57-10 at halftime. Kenmore-Garfield was the bottom seed, No. 37. McKinley advances to host No. 33 Cuyahoga Falls in a sectional final on Saturday at 7 p.m.

1614249855582.png

I don't mind the super district approach, it eliminates loaded districts for the most part. Though dividing the Northeast District teams between East-West and then lumping the eastside dominated LEL into the west tilted the power a bit in the west direction. Though one was going back to the east anyway at regional, so that's overall minor. Really, so are some of the lopsided scores. But in this case, a handful could have been eliminated if the top seeds were locked into a bye.

And not taking the bye really has nothing to do with staying sharp, it's more padding stats, especially if you have a player who can reach a certain milestone or climb up a leaderboard. I don't really blame a coach for that, but just saying what if Kobe Johnson gets hurt in a meaningless game. I'm sure Bob Huggins would privately have a "WTF" chat with the McKinley coach.

But I get it, there isn't a perfect solution so probably not worth dwelling over in the grand scheme of things.
The starters only played 2 quarters... but I understand your point

The Year Jackson won it (2017) they didn't take the bye also

Saturday 02/27/21
(All games 7pm)

Sectional Finals
Cuyahoga Falls at McKinley
Euclid at Glenoak
Hoover at Boardman
Green at University School
Warren Harding at Jackson
Perry at Walsh Jesuit