2 teams, 6 miles apart playing in the State Title on the same day

South Range HS not considered Canfield at all. It’s located in Beaver Township. Don’t misconstrue the school’s mailing address as having any bearing at all on the school’s physical location. Much like Liberty HS is located in Liberty Twp in Trumbull County but has a Youngstown mailing address. Water or other utilities don’t matter either. There are hundreds of examples like this across Ohio. The OHSAA simply uses mailing address locations for listing purposes and zip code areas often spread across other cities, villages, and townships.
NDCL has a Chardon mailing address but is technically in Munson Township and Kenston has a Chagrin Falls mailing address but is technically in Bainbridge Township are two other examples off the top of my head.

It looks like a lot of good football in that area- one site has bordering schools as Boardman, Canfield, West Branch, Salem, Springfield. Good luck to both teams in the finals - 2 great programs!!

NDCL has a Chardon mailing address but is technically in Munson Township and Kenston has a Chagrin Falls mailing address but is technically in Bainbridge Township are two other examples off the top of my head.

There are literally hundreds of schools in Ohio like that. Basically, most township schools that are adjacent to a city, village, or another township that has the post office for that area. The most notable and misunderstood IMO are the three township schools that lie in the Massillon zip code. Jackson, Perry, and Tuslaw. All three are their own school districts that are completely independent of Massillon city schools. Warren Howland and Warren Champion are two other examples. Neither school has anything to do with Warren city schools.

Mind you, Warren and Massillon have parts of their cities that lie in adjacent school districts; likely all five township schools I listed above, but that still doesn’t tie those schools to Massillon or Warren public schools in any way.

They can’t annex islands of land. The annexed land has to be contiguous to the city/village annexing.

This is correct for Ohio, but not all states. I posted this same thing a few posts below my post you quoted above. There are ways around this even in Ohio, though. A “flag” annex, for example. There can also be a township island if a city annexes all around the area not annexed. This exists around Columbus.

I didn't read every post, but has 2 or more of these 4 every made it the same year. I know they are all pretty close (Kirtland, Chardon, Mentor, Mentor Lake Catholic)?

I didn't read every post, but has 2 or more of these 4 every made it the same year. I know they are all pretty close (Kirtland, Chardon, Mentor, Mentor Lake Catholic)?

Kirtland & Chardon both won titles just two years ago & MLC lost in the finals that year.

So a few things to note... there are three separate water suppliers in Canfield, one is from the city which comes from Meander Resevoir, another is AQUA Ohio, and I can't recall the 3rd. You will notice there are multiple water towers in Canfield, the old one near Hilltop Elementary and SR-11 is for the city. There is a newer tower on the other side of SR-11 near Sheetz for AQUA.
There are no sewer lines running thay far South on SR-46, they stop way before the school. Had the school actually connected in to Canfield city water which is the only main running nearby as part of the process they would have been annexed as every property that is tied into Canfield water was annexed into Canfield if it wasn't already including a few housinv developments that are seemingly on islands.

From the attached screenshot from GIS it seems that some South Range property has a Beaver Township code and one each has 48 and 53 and I think one of those is Canfield and it gives an address as on Columbiana-Canfield Rd which is SR-46.View attachment 36611

All this said, I think the property was never annexed because the school never tied into the water main from the city.

Things are not always as straightforward as that. I was reviewing paperwork for work for water main and meter vault easements that was indicating that the original plan was for Canfield to continue the water main along SR-46 all the way to the new school. The paperwork for the easements was executed and documented by the county recorder, so as of right now the easements are active and have not been vacated. However in light of the fact that the property code is for Beaver Township, it seems to indicate that the school never connected to Canfield City water and is still using well water.
This is the only instance of a easement I have seen executed where the main or meter vault was never actually installed.
As an aside that map is not 100% accurate, as I know several developments that have been annexed by the city of Canfield are in an area that is Canfield Township on that map. That map is accurate probably for sometime around 1995 at the latest, Canfield has since annexed quite a few housing developments.
That map is good just to get a general idea of where the different townships are, but would not reflect every single property annexation.

Just a couple notes. Canfield can’t legally annex the SRHS land even if they wanted to. They also wouldn’t need in to in order to provide water to SRHS. They’d just need to have an easement. Those developments you mentioned would have been on land adjacent to Canfield city if they were annexed. In short, even if SRHS ties into Canfield water, that land won’t be annexed. To do so, Canfield would need to extend their city border all the way to the school. I mentioned islands before and said Canfield probably couldn’t annex it because it wasn’t adjacent (contiguous), but I looked it up and Ohio indeed requires contiguous land for annexation.

Just a couple notes. Canfield can’t legally annex the SRHS land even if they wanted to. They also wouldn’t need in to in order to provide water to SRHS. They’d just need to have an easement. Those developments you mentioned would have been on land adjacent to Canfield city if they were annexed. In short, even if SRHS ties into Canfield water, that land won’t be annexed. To do so, Canfield would need to extend their city border all the way to the school. I mentioned islands before and said Canfield probably couldn’t annex it because it wasn’t adjacent (contiguous), but I looked it up and Ohio indeed requires contiguous land for annexation.
Canfield is not allowed to provide water or sewer by their own rules to any property not in Canfield. So the property along SR-46 between the current city limits and the school would have to be annexed.
And the developments weren't immediately adjacent, they annexed a very narrow parcel of land to make them all contiguous. And that is what they might have done (annex a very narrow parcel running along SR-46) in this scenario had the water main been continued so South Range could tie in. Granted the parcels the homes are on would have to be annexed as well if they also tied into the water line if it was continued. All the paperwork lists the South Range school property as former Beaver Township in anticipation of an annexation that never happened. And I have confirmed that South Range has well water but originally planned to have water provided by Canfield due to contamination concerns from fracking operations.

South Range High School does not have many students that reside in Canfield or Canfield Township. The school has a Canfield mailing address, and is only considered Canfield due to a technicality due to granting easements for a water main and meter vault, that may have never been installed.
Similar to Kenston being listed as Chagrin Falls/Kenston. THey have been rivals since the '60's. Only reason its listed like that is because Bainbridge Twp (where kenston is located) uses Chagrin Falls Zip Code. Stupid as far as im concerned.

Mogadore Field hates they have a Mogadore postal address. I remember when my kids were in the Field Royal Gardsmen marching band and at competitions the announcer would say " from Mogadore, Ohio, the Field High School Royal Gardsmen". Then the groan from those in attendance! lol

Canfield is not allowed to provide water or sewer by their own rules to any property not in Canfield. So the property along SR-46 between the current city limits and the school would have to be annexed.
And the developments weren't immediately adjacent, they annexed a very narrow parcel of land to make them all contiguous. And that is what they might have done (annex a very narrow parcel running along SR-46) in this scenario had the water main been continued so South Range could tie in. Granted the parcels the homes are on would have to be annexed as well if they also tied into the water line if it was continued. All the paperwork lists the South Range school property as former Beaver Township in anticipation of an annexation that never happened. And I have confirmed that South Range has well water but originally planned to have water provided by Canfield due to contamination concerns from fracking operations.

That very narrow parcel of land method is a flag annex that I mentioned above as a way to get around the Ohio annexation law. SRHS looks on the map to be about 5 miles from the Canfield city limits though. That would be one heck of a long flag pole. ;)

That very narrow parcel of land method is a flag annex that I mentioned above as a way to get around the Ohio annexation law. SRHS looks on the map to be about 5 miles from the Canfield city limits though. That would be one heck of a long flag pole. ;)
Yeah I went into GIS and they would have to annex like 3½-4 miles along 46 before they got to the school. But what most likely would have happened is the homes and businesses on 46 between the city limits and the school would have been tied into the water line had they run it all the way out to the school.
The question is this, if given the option to tie into city water and/or sewer or stay on well water and/or septic which choice would make the most sense for a homeowner assuming they didn't just buy a new septic system or something like that? Doesn't being tied in increase the value of a home?

Yeah I went into GIS and they would have to annex like 3½-4 miles along 46 before they got to the school. But what most likely would have happened is the homes and businesses on 46 between the city limits and the school would have been tied into the water line had they run it all the way out to the school.
The question is this, if given the option to tie into city water and/or sewer or stay on well water and/or septic which choice would make the most sense for a homeowner assuming they didn't just buy a new septic system or something like that? Doesn't being tied in increase the value of a home?

I suppose that would depend on what the market (pool of buyers) prefers. For the buyers coming from the country, city water wouldn’t add value and vice versa. There are buyers from the city who simply wouldn’t buy a house without it having city water. In general, city water is not an amenity I would adjust for when doing an appraisal as it’s hard to quantify a market adjustment. Rather, I would pick similar comparable sales based on the property being appraised. Apples to apples as far as utilities are concerned.

Lake Catholic and Kirtland are on the same road roughly 5 miles apart.

Yes it is. I guess I should have added that Chardon repeated last year and Kirland lost in the final.
That area of Lake County/Geauga (Chardon) has been nearly as impressive as the MAC in terms of playoff success. Over the past three years, Mentor/Kirtland/Riverside/Painesville Harvey/Fairport Harbor/Perry/Madison/Lake Catholic are a combined 52-17 in playoff games, with three state titles, two runner-ups and a state semifinal. ... with Kirtland having a chance at a fourth state title.

I included all not to cherry pick only the "good schools," which all would be contiguous to each other in some form.

You can probably go back 15-20 years and those eight schools in that area (second rung suburbs of Lake County and Chardon in northern Geauga) likely have had as much playoff success as any centralized area outside of the West-Central Ohio MAC area.

So a few things to note... there are three separate water suppliers in Canfield, one is from the city which comes from Meander Resevoir, another is AQUA Ohio, and I can't recall the 3rd. You will notice there are multiple water towers in Canfield, the old one near Hilltop Elementary and SR-11 is for the city. There is a newer tower on the other side of SR-11 near Sheetz for AQUA.
There are no sewer lines running thay far South on SR-46, they stop way before the school. Had the school actually connected in to Canfield city water which is the only main running nearby as part of the process they would have been annexed as every property that is tied into Canfield water was annexed into Canfield if it wasn't already including a few housinv developments that are seemingly on islands.

From the attached screenshot from GIS it seems that some South Range property has a Beaver Township code and one each has 48 and 53 and I think one of those is Canfield and it gives an address as on Columbiana-Canfield Rd which is SR-46.View attachment 36611

All this said, I think the property was never annexed because the school never tied into the water main from the city.

Just for clarification, the last 2 properties listed in your screenshot are residential properties owned by a company called South Range Properties, likely a real estate rental company, and in no way associated with the South Range school district. The one with a 48 prefix is in Austintown, and the one with a 53 prefix is in Youngstown city.

The first parcel you listed #05-203-0-006.00-0 is the property that sits on the west side of Route 46 and contains the school and it's baseball and softball fields. The second parcel #05-203-0-008.00-0 was just acquired in March of 2021 and is vacant land across the street just north and adjacent to the school's football stadium. Perhaps it is intended to be used for football parking...? The third parcel #05-204-0-010.00-0 is on the east side of Route 46 and contains South Range's football field and stadium.

I've read this thread with interest and appreciate all the information and opinions provided by all the different posters. I'm of the opinion that the properties in question were never annexed into Canfield city, and the the waterline easement and issue was/is the overriding factor and the cause of confusion, if you could call it that. And regardless, the designation by OHSAA as "Canfield South Range" is most definitely because of the mailing address/zip code issue, not in any way connected to the waterline and/or annexation issue.

I've read this thread with interest and appreciate all the information and opinions provided by all the different posters. I'm of the opinion that the properties in question were never annexed into Canfield city, and the the waterline easement and issue was/is the overriding factor and the cause of confusion, if you could call it that. And regardless, the designation by OHSAA as "Canfield South Range" is most definitely because of the mailing address/zip code issue, not in any way connected to the waterline and/or annexation issue.
I agree that the property was never annexed, and the water line was never continued to tie into the school, the school utilizes well water. However, it seems the original plan was for the school to be tied in and subsequently annexed at one point, but that has since been abandoned. Perhaps it was determined to be too expensive or property owners were opposed to being tied in or annexed an paying higher taxes as a result. The tax rate in Canfield Twp and Beaver Twp is much lower than the city of Canfield.

The only remaining question is why haven't the easements been vacated if they don't plan to continue the water main afterall?

That area of Lake County/Geauga (Chardon) has been nearly as impressive as the MAC in terms of playoff success. Over the past three years, Mentor/Kirtland/Riverside/Painesville Harvey/Fairport Harbor/Perry/Madison/Lake Catholic are a combined 52-17 in playoff games, with three state titles, two runner-ups and a state semifinal. ... with Kirtland having a chance at a fourth state title.

I included all not to cherry pick only the "good schools," which all would be contiguous to each other in some form.

You can probably go back 15-20 years and those eight schools in that area (second rung suburbs of Lake County and Chardon in northern Geauga) likely have had as much playoff success as any centralized area outside of the West-Central Ohio MAC area.
I agree with you for the most part but I would take Fairport and Harvey out of that mix. Though they may have had a couple good seasons they are not up to the resumes of the rest. Madison ( my alma mater) had some good runs in the 90s but couldn’t get any playoff wins. It wasn’t until the 2010’s when Coach Willis started stacking playoff wins. Riverside is a newbie to the playoffs IMHO but I will keep them in. Mentor Kirtland LC Perry and Chardon are all obviously the elite programs of the area. I would add Kenston to the list. They did win a state title a few years ago.

I agree with you for the most part but I would take Fairport and Harvey out of that mix. Though they may have had a couple good seasons they are not up to the resumes of the rest. Madison ( my alma mater) had some good runs in the 90s but couldn’t get any playoff wins. It wasn’t until the 2010’s when Coach Willis started stacking playoff wins. Riverside is a newbie to the playoffs IMHO but I will keep them in. Mentor Kirtland LC Perry and Chardon are all obviously the elite programs of the area. I would add Kenston to the list. They did win a state title a few years ago.
No, I agree. I included the others (Riverside, Harvey, Fairport and Madison) because I didn't want to cherry-pick only the top ones (even though yeah, it's really been Kirtland, Mentor, Chardon, Perry, Lake Catholic). Now, Riverside has at least a seat at that table ... and before Riverside, it was Madison.

I didn't count Kenston in that area because that is southern Geauga ... more Aurora, Solon and even Northern Summit area since I'm going just by geographic proximity.

No, I agree. I included the others (Riverside, Harvey, Fairport and Madison) because I didn't want to cherry-pick only the top ones (even though yeah, it's really been Kirtland, Mentor, Chardon, Perry, Lake Catholic). Now, Riverside has at least a seat at that table ... and before Riverside, it was Madison.

I didn't count Kenston in that area because that is southern Geauga ... more Aurora, Solon and even Northern Summit area since I'm going just by geographic proximity.
I always go with the new heralds coverage area. Which would be Lake, Geauga, Ashtabula and Eastern Cuyahoga county. So that would put Kenston and Solon in there. Don’t worry about cherry picking lol we from that area know the good teams lol. I agree with you that Madison and Riverside basically swap places for one another. Aurora has had tons of success and borders to the south of Kenston by a few miles but that’s a call it like ya see type thing to me.

If you want to be real, mentor lake catholic is really in mentor on the lake, but is considered mentor for some ungodly reason

Mogadore Field hates they have a Mogadore postal address. I remember when my kids were in the Field Royal Gardsmen marching band and at competitions the announcer would say " from Mogadore, Ohio, the Field High School Royal Gardsmen". Then the groan from those in attendance! lol
Sounds like the same in regards to Perkins and Sandusky City. It's Perkins Twp with Sandusky address, but locals hate called "Sandusky Perkins."