2 teams, 6 miles apart playing in the State Title on the same day

As I ponder this, there is actually some truth to it.
Yes, some truth, but one should also appreciate the "legacy" names that appear on the Raiders roster. Names appear that have contributed to the district's success for literally generations and in many cases the player's grandfathers and uncles names and likeness are represented in the school's Hall of Fame.

Yes, some truth, but one should also appreciate the "legacy" names that appear on the Raiders roster. Names appear that have contributed to the district's success for literally generations and in many cases the player's grandfathers and uncles names and likeness are represented in the school's Hall of Fame.
Of course.

Beaver local
Use to be known as “Lisbon Beaver Local”
Now “East Liverpool Beaver Local”
And they just moved across the road to a new building. Their stadium is still in Lisbon's zip code.

Screenshot 2022-11-26 205144.png

I guess they "technically" are a suburb of Youngstown, but I highly doubt anyone from Canfield would consider themselves as having anything to do with the city of Youngstown.
Canfield is and always will be a suburb of Youngstown, despite what some might say. As a 30+ year resident and business owner in Canfield with a son that played football at Canfield, I can tell you that. As mentioned earlier, many of the current, past and future Canfield players are the sons of Youngstown parents and Austintown parents and so on and so forth. There is no shame in being associated with Youngstown. people with clear eyes and clear minds understand that the Mahoning Valley is nothing without the contributions of Youngstown, it’s residents and businesses over the years,

FYI…South Range is open enrollment. Canfield is not.

Canfield is and always will be a suburb of Youngstown, despite what some might say. As a 30+ year resident and business owner in Canfield with a son that played football at Canfield, I can tell you that. As mentioned earlier, many of the current, past and future Canfield players are the sons of Youngstown parents and Austintown parents and so on and so forth. There is no shame in being associated with Youngstown. people with clear eyes and clear minds understand that the Mahoning Valley is nothing without the contributions of Youngstown, it’s residents and businesses over the years,

FYI…South Range is open enrollment. Canfield is not.
Youngstown is a great place to be from.

Yes, but for Stark County there football powerhouse days are a long time ago and doubtful they will return except for Massillon. It seems now that football is king in Youngstown, Akron, Cleveland in NE Ohio.
CCC made it in ‘14,’15, and ‘16. How old are you, 5?

I'm not sure their letterhead would have been a concern for them. From what I've seen, while the OHSAA uses the ZIP code to create an identifying name for schools, the Ohio Department of Education does not. They stick with the real name of the school.

No, they definitely changed their letterhead to match their new address and would have been required to per the USPS because the district built a new HS in a different location with a new address and a new zip code. The school name never changed, regardless of how the OHSAA lists the school. The ODE would have changed their mailing records also. The OHSAA actually prefixes all school names with their zip code post office location for differentiating between township schools that share names, but lie in various counties (multiple Buckeye, Crestview, Madison, Edison, Green, Jackson, etc schools named after their townships) and also for mailing/correspondence purposes. Their methods are organizational only.

Last edited:
After seeing the explanations of the OHSAA naming system, which I believe is simply done to assist Ohioans outside the region to understand the general location of a school, I appreciate this post. I did not know the schools were that close and it still seems unusual to me that 2 schools from the same "rural" area have found success at the same time. Is the city of Canfield considered a "suburb" of Youngstown?

Canfield is indeed a suburb of Youngstown, both culturally/socially and statistically for census purposes. The Census Bureau officially recognizes the Youngstown-Warren-Boardman region as an MSA, or Metropolitan Statistical Area, and it includes Canfield/Canfield Twp. Most more-affluent suburb residents don’t want to be associated with the poorer cities they surround, but their arrogance is irrelevant (I’m now addressing another post). In many cases, those same people moved out of those very cities into that city’s suburbs; prior to their new-found disassociation.

Last edited:
Yes these all just deal with mailing address/postal code.
The difference is that South Range might have been annexed into Canfield; irrespective of the new school being a Canfield mailing address. I am waiting to hear back from a few people on here to help decipher some stuff to find out once and for all what is actually the case.

Ok, here’s the skinny. South Range HS is located in Beaver Twp with a tax district code of 05, which will be the first two numbers of their parcel ID number. All parcel ID’s located within Beaver Twp will also start with 05 if you look them up in the auditor records. The city of Canfield, on the other hand, has the tax district code 28. Canfield Twp has yet a different tax district code, which I didn’t make note of.

Based on that info, Canfield DID NOT annex the land on which South Range HS was built (in my best Maury Povich paternity-test reveal voice lol).

As I mentioned above, it would be highly unlikely that Canfield would, or could, annex that land when it doesn’t border the city of Canfield. Looking at a map, it doesn’t even border Canfield Twp. Water lines are a different story as they don’t require annexation. Not all Canfield township parcels are tied into Canfield city water (at least when I last appraised a house there in the late 90’s), but the water lines definitely follow Rt 46 into Beaver Twp. The question is how far and if SRHS has tied in yet or will ever do so.

Last edited:
I don’t think the physical distance between the two schools can be debated. Simkon was basically asking if Canfield had annexed the land on which SRHS is located for utility (water) purposes. He and I talked over PM and I said they likely have not and would only contract for water with Canfield if SR indeed uses their water. If they built the school where you said then that makes sense for tying into Canfield Twp lines either then or at some future point.

If Canfield did annex that land then I stand corrected and Canfield really does have two municipal schools in the finals. However, I’d wager everything I own as to them not annexing it. Municipalities generally don’t annex islands of parcels that aren’t directly city-limit adjacent. Plus, wiki has SR as being physically located in Beaver Twp. The final proof, which I’m too lazy to check, would be the Mahoning County Auditor site. SR is either located in one or the other for taxation purposes, but not both; legally, per the Ohio Revised Code.

By the way, the change from North Lima South Range to Canfield South Range simply means the new school was built in a Canfield ZIP Code; for those who occasionally get confused by how schools are listed in the paper. The OHSAA now has them as Canfield for listing purposes. The SR district didn’t change in any way because of the name change, other than their letterhead. Oh, and maybe their water check they send each month. ;)
They can’t annex islands of land. The annexed land has to be contiguous to the city/village annexing.

They can’t annex islands of land. The annexed land has to be contiguous to the city/village annexing.
Usually but not always, there are always exceptions, if you look at the ORC you will see in what instances the annexation of islands may be permissible.

There's Canfield the town and Canfield Township. South Range High School is across the border in Beaver Township.
Things are not always as straightforward as that. I was reviewing paperwork for work for water main and meter vault easements that was indicating that the original plan was for Canfield to continue the water main along SR-46 all the way to the new school. The paperwork for the easements was executed and documented by the county recorder, so as of right now the easements are active and have not been vacated. However in light of the fact that the property code is for Beaver Township, it seems to indicate that the school never connected to Canfield City water and is still using well water.
This is the only instance of a easement I have seen executed where the main or meter vault was never actually installed.
As an aside that map is not 100% accurate, as I know several developments that have been annexed by the city of Canfield are in an area that is Canfield Township on that map. That map is accurate probably for sometime around 1995 at the latest, Canfield has since annexed quite a few housing developments.
That map is good just to get a general idea of where the different townships are, but would not reflect every single property annexation.

Things are not always as straightforward as that. I was reviewing paperwork for work for water main and meter vault easements that was indicating that the original plan was for Canfield to continue the water main along SR-46 all the way to the new school. The paperwork for the easements was executed and documented by the county recorder, so as of right now the easements are active and have not been vacated. However in light of the fact that the property code is for Beaver Township, it seems to indicate that the school never connected to Canfield City water and is still using well water.
This is the only instance of a easement I have seen executed where the main or meter vault was never actually installed.
As an aside that map is not 100% accurate, as I know several developments that have been annexed by the city of Canfield are in an area that is Canfield Township on that map. That map is accurate probably for sometime around 1995 at the latest, Canfield has since annexed quite a few housing developments.
That map is good just to get a general idea of where the different townships are, but would not reflect every single property annexation.
Doesn't the entire county use the same water system? Where mains might originate doesn't matter much when it's all the same organization running sewer and water lines.

Does the Auditor's web site have a map that shows the information at question? Stark County's Auditor's does on a per property basis.

Doesn't the entire county use the same water system? Where mains might originate doesn't matter much when it's all the same organization running sewer and water lines.
So a few things to note... there are three separate water suppliers in Canfield, one is from the city which comes from Meander Resevoir, another is AQUA Ohio, and I can't recall the 3rd. You will notice there are multiple water towers in Canfield, the old one near Hilltop Elementary and SR-11 is for the city. There is a newer tower on the other side of SR-11 near Sheetz for AQUA.
There are no sewer lines running thay far South on SR-46, they stop way before the school. Had the school actually connected in to Canfield city water which is the only main running nearby as part of the process they would have been annexed as every property that is tied into Canfield water was annexed into Canfield if it wasn't already including a few housinv developments that are seemingly on islands.

From the attached screenshot from GIS it seems that some South Range property has a Beaver Township code and one each has 48 and 53 and I think one of those is Canfield and it gives an address as on Columbiana-Canfield Rd which is SR-46.
Screenshot_20221127_194848.jpg

All this said, I think the property was never annexed because the school never tied into the water main from the city.

I spent half the day driving up and down every street in Ravenna and couldn’t find Southeast High School anywhere.
Apparently there is a spot where 4 school districts meet, Southeast, Western Reserve, West Branch and maybe Sebring. I think it is all the way at the end of Western Reserve Rd or near there. Southeast was the furthest school from that point.