2 teams, 6 miles apart playing in the State Title on the same day

i see Canfield and Canfield South Range both made it to the title. how crazy is that? they are all but 6 miles apart from each other. what’s are they feeding those boys up in Canfield?
South Range High School does not have many students that reside in Canfield or Canfield Township. The school has a Canfield mailing address, and is only considered Canfield due to a technicality due to granting easements for a water main and meter vault, that may have never been installed.

South Range High School does not have many students that reside in Canfield or Canfield Township. The school has a Canfield mailing address, and is only considered Canfield due to a technicality due to granting easements for a water main and meter vault, that may have never been installed.

South Range HS not considered Canfield at all. It’s located in Beaver Township. Don’t misconstrue the school’s mailing address as having any bearing at all on the school’s physical location. Much like Liberty HS is located in Liberty Twp in Trumbull County but has a Youngstown mailing address. Water or other utilities don’t matter either. There are hundreds of examples like this across Ohio. The OHSAA simply uses mailing address locations for listing purposes and zip code areas often spread across other cities, villages, and townships.

North Lima South Range was the name until the new school was built. At literally the most northwest spot in the district for the building to be built.

But still, they are six miles apart no matter how much some will argue.

I don’t think the physical distance between the two schools can be debated. Simkon was basically asking if Canfield had annexed the land on which SRHS is located for utility (water) purposes. He and I talked over PM and I said they likely have not and would only contract for water with Canfield if SR indeed uses their water. If they built the school where you said then that makes sense for tying into Canfield Twp lines either then or at some future point.

If Canfield did annex that land then I stand corrected and Canfield really does have two municipal schools in the finals. However, I’d wager everything I own as to them not annexing it. Municipalities generally don’t annex islands of parcels that aren’t directly city-limit adjacent. Plus, wiki has SR as being physically located in Beaver Twp. The final proof, which I’m too lazy to check, would be the Mahoning County Auditor site. SR is either located in one or the other for taxation purposes, but not both; legally, per the Ohio Revised Code.

By the way, the change from North Lima South Range to Canfield South Range simply means the new school was built in a Canfield ZIP Code; for those who occasionally get confused by how schools are listed in the paper. The OHSAA now has them as Canfield for listing purposes. The SR district didn’t change in any way because of the name change, other than their letterhead. Oh, and maybe their water check they send each month. ;)

By the way, the change from North Lima South Range to Canfield South Range simply means the new school was built in a Canfield ZIP Code; for those who occasionally get confused by how schools are listed in the paper. The OHSAA now has them as Canfield for listing purposes. The SR district didn’t change in any way because of the name change, other than their letterhead. Oh, and maybe their water check they send each month. ;)
I'm not sure their letterhead would have been a concern for them. From what I've seen, while the OHSAA uses the ZIP code to create an identifying name for schools, the Ohio Department of Education does not. They stick with the real name of the school.

i see Canfield and Canfield South Range both made it to the title. how crazy is that? they are all but 6 miles apart from each other. what’s are they feeding those boys up in Canfield?
After seeing the explanations of the OHSAA naming system, which I believe is simply done to assist Ohioans outside the region to understand the general location of a school, I appreciate this post. I did not know the schools were that close and it still seems unusual to me that 2 schools from the same "rural" area have found success at the same time. Is the city of Canfield considered a "suburb" of Youngstown?

I don't know if you want to count private schools in the same city or not but Youngstown Cardinal Mooney & Ursuline both won championships on the same day in 2009 and they are just under 4 miles apart. They both lost title games in 2007 but those were not on the same day.

Hopefully Canfield & South Range will be in the former category.

GO CARDS!

GO RAIDERS!

After seeing the explanations of the OHSAA naming system, which I believe is simply done to assist Ohioans outside the region to understand the general location of a school, I appreciate this post. I did not know the schools were that close and it still seems unusual to me that 2 schools from the same "rural" area have found success at the same time. Is the city of Canfield considered a "suburb" of Youngstown?

I don't know that anybody that lives in Canfield feels that way. :)

I don't know that anybody that lives in Canfield feels that way.
When Trumbull county was split in half and Mahoning County was formed Canfield was made the county seat and Youngstown was considered a suburb of Canfield.

Canfield is home to the Mahoning County Fairgrounds, so maybe it could be considered a suburb of Youngstown. US 62 will be bumper to bumper in both directions Friday afternoon.

Great accomplishment but…. hold my beer…

St X and LaSalle (both on North Bend Rd 5 miles apart) won D1 & D2 state titles in the same season a few years ago.

Good luck to both of your teams!

For Christ's sake, it's still an anomaly to have two schools that close together that make the title game that aren't in the MAC. Trivialize everything, is the name of the game on this site.

Agreed. Area fans can be proud. Perry and CCC had a year like that a few years ago, basically same neighborhood with many family ties to both schools. Impressive.

For Christ's sake, it's still an anomaly to have two schools that close together that make the title game that aren't in the MAC. Trivialize everything, is the name of the game on this site.

Anal factualization be a better description. Kind of a meta post here.

Well its the good farm life for sure. With the "rural" locations of both schools and one of the largest county fairs in the state, who could compare to these country boys?
John Denver song keeps running through my head, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy"

I can assure you that Canfield is the furthest thing from farm boys.
I was talking to a long time Canfield resident who formerly had a big farm along 224 in-between Canfield and Boardman somewhere around where Trigg Marine used to be, he now lives in SW corner of Canfield Twp. But there is still a decent amount of students that live on farms and in a more rural setting, no where near as much as it was formerly.

Agreed. Area fans can be proud. Perry and CCC had a year like that a few years ago, basically same neighborhood with many family ties to both schools. Impressive.
Yes, but for Stark County there football powerhouse days are a long time ago and doubtful they will return except for Massillon. It seems now that football is king in Youngstown, Akron, Cleveland in NE Ohio.

I don't know if you want to count private schools in the same city or not but Youngstown Cardinal Mooney & Ursuline both won championships on the same day in 2009 and they are just under 4 miles apart. They both lost title games in 2007 but those were not on the same day.

Hopefully Canfield & South Range will be in the former category.

GO CARDS!

GO RAIDERS!

I don't know that anybody that lives in Canfield feels that way. :)
Thank you. I just did not know and was curious.

Beaver local
Use to be known as “Lisbon Beaver Local”
Now “East Liverpool Beaver Local”
Yes these all just deal with mailing address/postal code.
The difference is that South Range might have been annexed into Canfield; irrespective of the new school being a Canfield mailing address. I am waiting to hear back from a few people on here to help decipher some stuff to find out once and for all what is actually the case.