#2 Ridgewood Generals @ #1 Ironton Fighting Tigers

Talked to someone whose team played against both Ridgewood and Kirtland. He said that he thought that would be a great game but he'd give the edge to Ridgewood because of the dominance of their front 7. Take it for what it's worth but I was surprised by that.
This post didn’t age well......

This post didn’t age well......
That's a bit snarky. It might have aged better if 'Wood had their starting QB. As it is, they held Ironton to their lowest point total of the year (to that point). That's actually pretty impressive considering how stale their offense was.

We will never know, but after watching the live stream of the Ironton-Ridgewood game, I certainly would pick Ridgewood to win vs Ironton with their starting QB playing. I don't think they would have beat Kirkland, but I do think they would have scored a few times.

That's a bit snarky. It might have aged better if 'Wood had their starting QB. As it is, they held Ironton to their lowest point total of the year (to that point). That's actually pretty impressive considering how stale their offense was.
Woulda shoulda coulda. Sorry your feelings got hurt.

He was the more talented player on the field regardless of what SEOPS tries to turn my words into. Too many whiners over there. Does anyone know if you are allowed to have an opinion and speak facts on this site? If not, it’s not for me...

Last edited:
Didn’t hurt my feelings. Just kinda odd that you were calling someone out for a regional win when that team got throat punched in finals. To me, what he said was completely on point.
Back to that original comment, people don’t realize how dominate our front is. They just see smaller guys they think they can push around. I doubt Wood would have pushed us around

Back to that original comment, people don’t realize how dominate our front is. They just see smaller guys they think they can push around. I doubt Wood would have pushed us around
Watched the 19 title game and the Ironton Oline looked like they were supposed to be playing in the D2 title game. Massive.

Then they got their lunch handed to them all night. Kirtland is likely not to be bigger than anyone they play in the playoffs but their aggressive attitude & physicality is uncommon in the spread age.

Watched the 19 title game and the Ironton Oline looked like they were supposed to be playing in the D2 title game. Massive.

Then they got their lunch handed to them all night. Kirtland is likely not to be bigger than anyone they play in the playoffs but their aggressive attitude & physicality is uncommon in the spread age.
They definitely had the size advantage on us both years. I think our center was giving up 100 pounds to one of those guys. Ray Sullivan is why we don’t get pushed around. I tried to tell them that on SEOPS and got banned lol

Yeah that’s what I was telling them on the thread...those young players will just get better and better. Hopefully they make another run next year
Their coach has definitely turned them around fast and he’s not very old. He was a good one at Michigan State

Their coach has definitely turned them around fast and he’s not very old. He was a good one at Michigan State
Reminds me of ours when he came in and turned things around. I was following them for so long and talking to their guys that I have kinda became a fan. I wish them the best

Reminds me of ours when he came in and turned things around. I was following them for so long and talking to their guys that I have kinda became a fan. I wish them the best
That area has produced a bunch of D1 athletes. Portsmouth has 15 state basketball appearances, Ironton’s Bob Lutz is probably the best public school football coach, and Wheelersburg has the 4th highest win percentage in Ohio

What's the secret to developing those small dominant linemen?
High reps low weights? High weight/low reps.
Pushing sled all over the place?
Magic drills?

What's the secret to developing those small dominant linemen?
High reps low weights? High weight/low reps.
Pushing sled all over the place?
Magic drills?
Tbh I’m not exactly sure what they do. I just know they do a lot of it. I’d kinda like to know for sure myself. From what I have found about it, it looks high rep low weight but I couldn’t swear to that. Whatever Ray does with them, he knows what he is doing

Last edited:
Didn’t hurt my feelings. Just kinda odd that you were calling someone out for a regional win when that team got throat punched in finals. To me, what he said was completely on point.
You read into that what you wanted it to be. If you believe Ridgewood would have given Kirtland a battle, then I can’t help you .....

You read into that what you wanted it to be. If you believe Ridgewood would have given Kirtland a battle, then I can’t help you .....
Mea Culpa. I misread the post you quoted. This whole time I thought you were mocking him for Wood not beating Ironton. Didn’t even see the Kirtland reference. My bad. (Should probably avoid posting when I’m on my phone and save it for the laptop).

Don’t believe Wood would have beat Ironton. I do believe that with their starting QB playing they would have at least scored a few times.

I agree on Ridgewood. I would have liked to have seen K-land vs a MAC team. Not saying they would have won. Maybe, maybe not. K-land looked pretty complete but the MAC teams usually play them hard. I think it would have been a much better game. Seems K-land vs MAC and vise versa are the only ones who can beat each other. I loved the Marion Local and K-land run-ins

I agree on Ridgewood. I would have liked to have seen K-land vs a MAC team. Not saying they would have won. Maybe, maybe not. K-land looked pretty complete but the MAC teams usually play them hard. I think it would have been a much better game. Seems K-land vs MAC and vise versa are the only ones who can beat each other. I loved the Marion Local and K-land run-ins
I’d like to see us against the MAC more often as well. I would have loved to played Coldwater although the game between them and New Middletown Springfield would have been hard to top. I agree with the announcer although it doesn’t make sense geographically, I’d love for us to be in that conference. I think there would be years we wouldn’t go undefeated but the competition would be top notch. It would be hard to beat Coldwater and Marion Local every year and depending on the division, more than likely have to play twice a year. Even Anna, New Bremen, Minster and Fort Recovery would be tough some years. Versailles may be a tough out this year as well. They played Roger Bacon hard this past season. Few unlucky breaks or I think they would have won that game

Last edited:
Any discussion among the Kirtland fans on what division the Hornets will be playing in next year?

Any discussion among the Kirtland fans on what division the Hornets will be playing in next year?
It’s going to be VERY close. We will most likely either be the smallest school in D5 or largest in D6. The margin will be slim. Even Coach LaVerde has speculated in a recent interview that he doesn’t know.

Nothing against D5, but D6 has a lot of the small school powers we all know of (i.e. Mogadore, NM Springfield, CCC, Norwayne, Fort Frye, basically every MAC school except for two or three, Mechanicsburg, etc.). If we drop to D6, I think the road to a fourth straight title might be more challenging than D5. Again, no disrespect to D5 as we’ve had our close encounters with the likes of Sandy Valley, South Range, Oak Harbor, Ironton, etc. And I’m sure Ridgewood would have been a toss up game given how skilled their QB, weapons, and defense were all season long.

No matter where Kirtland ends up, they will have the biggest target pinned on them in the state. But we have to wait 8+ months for that...

Last edited:
I heard they aren’t doing the division alignments this season. If that is true, D5 of course. If it’s not true, I think we will be D6 again but I can’t say that for certain. I personally hope it is D6. No disrespect to D5 as said above, but D6 will be more challenging

I agree with @Kirtland4580 as well. The hunter, as we once were, has now become the hunted. I’m sure there are plenty of teams in each division that would love to end the streak and send us packing. Ironton is one for sure. No matter the outcome of the last 2, I’m sure there is no one they’d rather play more. Will be interesting no matter where we end up