#2 Mayfield vs. #3 Akron Hoban

Looking forward to this game. Hoban is a machine. Not sure how Mayfield matches up but hopefully it's a good game.

Realistically, Mayfield's goal could be to keep the score at least half of what the outcome was last year. Good luck, Wildcats!

As everyone knows this game will not be close. Mayfield won against South by 26 but that game was closer then it looks. South turned the ball over 5 times & very questionable calls against South as well including a ridiculous ejection for South's RB. Not taking nothing away from Mayfield in their first rd win , they capitalized on South's mistakes. But they will have to play 100x better to even compete. Good luck to both teams next week.

Hoban has beaten Mayfield by about 100 the past 2 years, but because Hoban is compromised offensively at the moment, I give Mayfield at least a chance to be in the game after halftime. Still question if they can hold up physically even that long, though.

I honestly don’t know squat about Mayfield. What’s their bread and butter? Are they a good mix of pass and run offense? To be 11-0 your doing something right.

This game will be close for 3 quarters an Hoban pulls away in the 4th
Mayfield is very solid across the board and very self controlled.

IMO ...there is no chance that mayfield keeps this game close. Last year they played in the 1st round and it was 42-0 at half and the final was 49-0. Hoban should score every possesion. Would not be surprised if its a running clock at the start of the 3rd quarter.

IF Mayfield can stop the run early in this game......
AND
Move the ball and get early points they could hang around for a bit.

That is a HUGE IF .... as I see Hoban running the ball very well in this game.
If Mayfield can't stop the run then lights out.
Mayfield CANNOT sit in that 3-3-5 look in this game and win.
Not happening.

Mayfield QB Michael Huss is a stud QB with guts and talent to go with his leadership ability.
The receivers are good enough that if they can get the ball out quick they can score some points in this game.
I do not think Mayfield has the horses on the line to go 4 quarters here.

However.....if Hoban is ever going to suffer a huge upset to a team no one thinks they will lose to, it will be a team like this one that has heart AND the QB to lead his team to victory.
Nothing will surprise me here.

AND

Not happening.

Mayfield QB Michael Huss is a stud QB with guts and talent to go with his leadership ability.
The receivers are good enough that if they can get the ball out quick they can score some points in this game.

However.....if Hoban is ever going to suffer a huge upset to a team no one thinks they will lose to, it will be a team like this one that has heart AND the QB to lead his team to victory.
That sounds a lot like 2017 Avon, but Avon didn't cash in on their scoring chances in the first half and trailed 10-6. Hoban made two key adjustments at the half...blitzing up the middle on D to negate the Avon QB's mobility and overloading the o-line to one side and repeatedly running Trayanum behind it. By the time Avon could adjust to all that, it was over. Good luck to Mayfield, but Hoban isn't just about talent. Their coaches know what they are doing.

Weather on Friday looks like it will be very conducive to smash mouth, defensive football. That certainly would favor Hoban, just how much could depend on who is and who isn't available for the Knights on offense.

Weather on Friday looks like it will be very conducive to smash mouth, defensive football. That certainly would favor Hoban, just how much could depend on who is and who isn't available for the Knights on offense.
There starting running back will play from what I was told. But other than that I don’t know anything about anyone else’s availability

Have not seen Mayfield play but they have not seen the size depth of the OL/DL/LB positions this year. Hobans size, speed, and length cover lots of ground. Mayfield will need to account for Petereson (DE), Ollision (MLB), Bauer (OLB), and Hightower (OLB)....once they do that....they have to prepare for Trayanum (S) & Stallworth (DB).....makes for a tough challenge... this group mentioned are not mid-level D1 they are power 5 D1 level. Teams are lucky to have 1 power 5 let alone 5-7.

Would love to see an upset but tall order with the amount of talent assembled.

There starting running back will play from what I was told. But other than that I don’t know anything about anyone else’s availability
That would be good news for them, and after the way he looked coming off the field on Friday, a little surprising. I figured they would try and get through his week without him, and hope he could give them something in the regional final. Being his last go around, I'm sure he wants to try and play through anything if possible. With their stud TE already out, the offensive options are much thinner than the past few seasons.

AND

Not happening.

I thought the same thing when Barberton played them in 2017. We had the perfect group of seniors with great chemistry and a bond. All-State, dual threat QB who was big and fast, All-State WR and RB, decent size up front and we got bulldozed in the regional final.

Hoban may not be as dominant this year but they are extremely talented and extremely well-coached. Everything has to go right for you and most of the time that isnt enough either.

Have not seen Mayfield play but they have not seen the size depth of the OL/DL/LB positions this year. Hobans size, speed, and length cover lots of ground. Mayfield will need to account for Petereson (DE), Ollision (MLB), Bauer (OLB), and Hightower (OLB)....once they do that....they have to prepare for Trayanum (S) & Stallworth (DB).....makes for a tough challenge... this group mentioned are not mid-level D1 they are power 5 D1 level. Teams are lucky to have 1 power 5 let alone 5-7.

Would love to see an upset but tall order with the amount of talent assembled.
? n that case Hoban about to smash em . 5-7 power 5 D1 ? man that’s what recruiting get ya huh ? i feel em