2-2 Col. Walnut Ridge @ 5-1 Massillon Washington

Ah, I see you guys are jibbering about something else, because this football game certainly couldn't warrant 30 replies. All Massillon needs to do is take the field to win the game.

This isn't the same WR team that played Massillon Washington in 2018. WR lost a lot of players from that team, in 2018 is was close for a while, lol

The team that was out of control in 2018 was Whitehall, not Walnut Ridge. Good luck to both teams, stay injury free.

I have to admit that when I saw the matchup I thought of Big Walnut instead of Walnut Ridge and thought Big Walnut could give Massillon a reasonable game. Not so much with Walnut Ridge. Stay heathy and use the game to address some issues of concern and on to next week,

I have to admit that when I saw the matchup I thought of Big Walnut instead of Walnut Ridge and thought Big Walnut could give Massillon a reasonable game. Not so much with Walnut Ridge. Stay heathy and use the game to address some issues of concern and on to next week,

Huh? Not saying I know alot about either program but sure seems WR has a much better program just based on w-l records over past several seasons. When's the last time BW finished above .500?

WR went 11-1 last year and gave us a reasonable game in 2018 but what do I know.

Huh? Not saying I know alot about either program but sure seems WR has a much better program just based on w-l records over past several seasons. When's the last time BW finished above .500?

WR went 11-1 last year and gave us a reasonable game in 2018 but what do I know.

My memory of Big Walnut was from a state championship a decade or so ago and I know they were pretty good this year, losing only a couple of one score games against decent teams as I recall.

Big Walnut is the better program. WR is a good football program, but BW gets the nod because from a competition standpoint the Ohio Capital Conference >>> Columbus City League.

Walnut Ridge’s reputation is a basketball powerhouse of yesteryear. Rivalry versus Columbus East in the late 60’s / early 70’s was massive.

Big Walnut is the better program. WR is a good football program, but BW gets the nod because from a competition standpoint the Ohio Capital Conference >>> Columbus City League.

Walnut Ridge’s reputation is a basketball powerhouse of yesteryear. Rivalry versus Columbus East in the late 60’s / early 70’s was massive.

Massillon had the score tied at the end of three quarters and lost 80-66 to a Columbus East team (that I believe was undefeated for three years - https://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/hall-of-fame/inductees/2007/columbus-east-hs-67-69.html).

Massillon had the score tied at the end of three quarters and lost 80-66 to a Columbus East team (that I believe was undefeated for three years - https://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/hall-of-fame/inductees/2007/columbus-east-hs-67-69.html).
Very neat. Thanks for sharing the story and the link!

Today’s East High School is attached. Kind of gives me some Steve Harvey Show vibes. Popularly know then as “E High.” It’s crazy to think of how these are legacies of generations past— but what’s even crazier is Brookhaven football is approaching the same memory. A shame!

Walnut Ridge back then had about 3,000 students. School schedule was divided into cohorts to accommodate all the students.

Attachments

• 16A4BDEA-6055-41C7-B025-2C72977676F6.jpeg
    16A4BDEA-6055-41C7-B025-2C72977676F6.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 28
Walnut Ridge is not a good program. They get 7 free wins every year playing other miserable Columbus City league schools and fill their schedule out with either D3 schools or some of the worst D2 schools in the COH area like Watkins Memorial and Mifflin. Every once in awhile, they get a gift 1st round playoff game (thanks to the horrible Harbin system) and win a game but the minute they play ANYONE even remotely good in D2 they are always overmatched. They are the classic example of a team that puts up 9-1 records every year, but would actually be 5-5 at best if they played the schedule that most other COH D2 schools have to, and one of the teams that Harbin chronically overrates as a result.

Recently read the book "Tigerland". It's about the '68 - '69 Columbus East basketball and baseball team that BOTH won state championships. They say the '68 basketball team is the best they ever had. Beat McKinley and Nick Winterspoon in the state championship I believe.

Recently read the book "Tigerland". It's about the '68 - '69 Columbus East basketball and baseball team that BOTH won state championships. They say the '68 basketball team is the best they ever had. Beat McKinley and Nick Weatherspoon in the state championship I believe.

1969: Yes they did / a season I missed being across the big pond (Pacific)

Best of luck and skill in your coming game vs. Walnut Ridge.

FWIW: Col.East were back-to-back OHSAA basketball champions in 1968 and 1969
The Ohio Basketball HOF website has an error East was Regional Runner-up to
Col.Linden-McKinley which went on win the State title in 1967. The state runner-up
in 1967 was Clv.East Tech.

:>---

Leatherneck

Last edited:
Tomorrow night! Should be interesting. How will running game look w/ new backups, after a few practices w/ 1st team reps? How will passing game look? I know OC had to be working on that. Hopefully we see some noticeable improvement but who knows w/ the week off.