2-0 DIV Girard @ 2-0 DVII Warren JFK

JFK should give strong consideration to discontinuing the series with Girard. The disparity in school size and athletic talent has been evident the last few years, and like when JFK dropped Howland, perhaps it is time to also stop playing the Indians.

JFK should give strong consideration to discontinuing the series with Girard. The disparity in school size and athletic talent has been evident the last few years, and like when JFK dropped Howland, perhaps it is time to also stop playing the Indians.
Could happen soon, girard is a decent size D4 now and JFK only D7 girard shouldn’t want to play that game

There is growing sentiment for this but remember the past few years Girard has had once in a lifetime type talent. After this season the talent pool dips back to 2015 and 2016 levels. While Kennedys talent is on the rise. The junior and sophmore classes are good. The freshman have some kids that will be very good and the junior high has 37 or so players between 7th and 8th grade, with the 8th already having wins over Lakeside and Boardman this year, two D2 schools and the 7th with dominating win over a usually tough Springfield. Kennedy is used to playing up in competition, the last few years Girard has been exceptionally good with D1 talent that I don't think they will have again for a very long time.

There is growing sentiment for this but remember the past few years Girard has had once in a lifetime type talent. After this season the talent pool dips back to 2015 and 2016 levels. While Kennedys talent is on the rise. The junior and sophmore classes are good. The freshman have some kids that will be very good and the junior high has 37 or so players between 7th and 8th grade, with the 8th already having wins over Lakeside and Boardman this year, two D2 schools and the 7th with dominating win over a usually tough Springfield. Kennedy is used to playing up in competition, the last few years Girard has been exceptionally good with D1 talent that I don't think they will have again for a very long time.

I’m not that sure. Girard has been solid for quite awhile now and does draw kids that at one time would be playing for Liberty or Ursuline. I would expect this pipeline to continue, but ICBM could elaborate on this better than either of us.

JFK probably still will make the postseason unless these injuries continue to pile up. I was aware the Eagles have exceptional talent in the lower grades, but the task will be retaining these athletes as they enter high school. The basketball team just lost three of their players to other schools and the football team could be just as vulnerable.

The pipeline for Girard from Liberty and Ursuline will be drying up now that Chaney and East are in full court press mode, Chaney especially with Amill at the helm. Reardon being back at Ursuline too is going to be a factor. I read somewhere on here that Girards enrollment is down 20% in the lower grades. On the flipside Kennedys enrollment is up 6% across the board and the junior high is now the largest in the Youngstown Diocese. Girard will still be a formidable foe, but this three year run is more of an outlier than the norm.

I can’t really expand on any players coming up. I know the numbers are down. There’s a pretty good freshman QB and some freshmen have started varsity on defense in the secondary. Some nice looking kids at the Jr High level. I’m not aware of any “pipeline” from Liberty or Ursuline. There may be some that their parents were Girard kids and they wanted them here. I know Girard lost a couple stud players several years ago that went to Ursuline. I believe there’s another 8th grader that might be going next year because his dad did but I’m not very up on that. They have gotten some QBs over the years from various schools. Waid being the best. More for Cochran’s coaching style and offense than the program itself. Some did well, others did not. A couple boys came over from McDonald but that was a parental decision. I’m not aware of any kids from Liberty coming to Girard at the high school level. But again, i don’t look into that much. There’s a lot of open enrollment kids at the lower elementary level now but the Liberty Superintendent says he won’t release anymore to leave the district. Claims we are recruiting kindergarten kids. He needs to look at the states school report card. There may be some that choose Girard over Ursuline but that’s probably more a financial decision than anything. A lot less are going to St Rose elementary so they aren’t on line to continue the parochial route anymore.
And I posted the enrollment drops. The current sophomore class is the largest in a while at 157. I believe it gradually drops down to 110/112 over the next 7 years which may put them back in D-5. There is a list of every NE8 schools enrollment in the original NE8 post. I think it’s on the first page.
The recent injuries are unfortunate. The bad ones didn’t seem to come from brutal hits but more getting tangled up with multiple players hitting the ground. I don’t have an opinion one way or the other about continuing the series. It goes back quite a ways. Girard was one of the teams on their earliest schedules in the original Napolet days. Before he was a legend.
It’s been a fun few run going back to the Graziano QB years and Stadylmier before him. I just show up on game days and yell a lot now. That’s all I’m good for anymore. LOL

Last edited:
NE8 enrollments

Attachments

• 1521A853-CD80-4A58-B6A5-176D5D42F35D.png
    1521A853-CD80-4A58-B6A5-176D5D42F35D.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 17