2-0 DIV Girard @ 2-0 DVII Warren JFK

Everybody with the better coach. Girard went to the state final last year. Did well the year before and has multiple playoff appearances and usually goes to the second round and one other regional. Somebody is teaching these kids how to play. Jeff Bayuk is a great coach. He’s proven it time and again. But the Girard staff gets it done too.
That was because of a generational player. That same coach was getting trounced by brookfield and schools like that until waids junior year. Also bayuk has won a state title not got there

Ask if a growing D4 team loses to a D7 school that’s embarrassing in its own sense, girard should easily be the favorite

Ask if a growing D4 team loses to a D7 school that’s embarrassing in its own sense, girard should easily be the favorite
It’s a no win situation against JFK. Win and you’re supposed to win. Lose and your laughed at. But Girard was playing JFK when nobody else would. When they were bigger and winning all the time.

That was because of a generational player. That same coach was getting trounced by brookfield and schools like that until waids junior year. Also bayuk has won a state title not got there
True. There’s been some down years. Keep in mind they were playing with freshmen and sophomores. They were the East Palestine of 2015/2016. When they grey up, things changed.
Most everyone on here said Girard would be lucky to win two games this year. I think some opinions have changed. Maybe it’s the coaching. LOL. ?

It’s a no win situation against JFK. Win and you’re supposed to win. Lose and your laughed at. But Girard was playing JFK when nobody else would. When they were bigger and winning all the time.
Not true. Struthers played jfk A LOT when they were good.

True. There’s been some down years. Keep in mind they were playing with freshmen and sophomores. They were the East Palestine of 2015/2016. When they grey up, things changed.
Most everyone on here said Girard would be lucky to win two games this year. I think some opinions have changed. Maybe it’s the coaching. LOL. ?
When did Pearson start at Girard?

East Palestine had 1 decent year.

Most people said Girard around 4-6 to 6-4 that is pretty much still the same.

Not many teams worst then East Palestine now at all they’re horrendous.

I still have girard as underdogs against Poland Niles Hubbard struthers and The SR is a toss up to me, a lot can change tho when it’s all said and done.

Not many teams worst then East Palestine now at all they’re horrendous.

I still have girard as underdogs against Poland Niles Hubbard struthers and The SR is a toss up to me, a lot can change tho when it’s all said and done.
I agree with that. I’ve closed the point spread gap a little bit.

When did Pearson start at Girard?

East Palestine had 1 decent year.

Most people said Girard around 4-6 to 6-4 that is pretty much still the same.

I think Pierson took over 2014. Maybe 13. He was DC before that. 14 was a playoff year. 15 had about four seniors and seven juniors and not many were football players leading to some young kids playing and some lean years. Next year could be the same. They have a few bigger classes in numbers coming up and then enrollment dips about 20 percent in the classes afterward.

Not true. Struthers played jfk A LOT when they were good.
I would guess that was before them and Campbell got booted from the MVC. Don’t really know. I just remember after the conference change, some schools seemed to avoid them.

Last edited:
I
I agree with that. I’ve closed the point spread gap a little bit.
agree with that, I’m curious to see how girard responds when Malito is takin out of the game and teams make someone else beat them. I know they have some other players but it seems he’s the most dynamic. All that I have heard about the girard West branch game was that girard basically controlled the game and it should have been a lot worse then it was

I

agree with that, I’m curious to see how girard responds when Malito is takin out of the game and teams make someone else beat them. I know they have some other players but it seems he’s the most dynamic. All that I have heard about the girard West branch game was that girard basically controlled the game and it should have been a lot worse then it was
Turnovers kept it close but WB moved the ball in spurts. Enough to score three times plus a FG. And that really should have been a TD. They were on the 1-1/2 yard line and got back to back procedure calls. Their QB is really quick and throws pretty well. Receivers made some great grabs. As mentioned you could tell the back up TB was young. Nice size kid but not yet ready for prime time. But maybe next year. Defensively they never stopped Girard. With the game on the line down two scores they went 85 and 96 yards in about six minutes of possession time. I think there was another 90 yard drive as well early in the game. Opening drive was about 75 yards in four plays ending with a fumble on the one yard line. WB ripped it out to their credit. They did have one punt because of a couple penalties. Girard couldn’t throw well down field as they have in the past. Hopefully that improves. WB also has a pretty good kicker/punter. Better catch the ball. He pinned Girard deep a couple times with kicks over 50/60 yards.
As for Melfi, he really hasn’t been a huge factor yet. I think he only had three touches in the EP blowout. He had a few late in the game against WB but they were critical and on jet sweep plays and screens. I don’t recall any touches in the first half. A few misses down field. I don’t think he scored. Like I said. The downfield passing game is struggling.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is accurate:
Pearson has been Girard's head coach since the 2014 season.
In his five seasons, they have gone to the playoffs three times (2014, 2017, 2018).
2014: 9-2
2015: 2-8
2016: 2-8
2017: 10-2
2018: 13-2

Pretty sure this is accurate:
Pearson has been Girard's head coach since the 2014 season.
In his five seasons, they have gone to the playoffs three times (2014, 2017, 2018).
2014: 9-2
2015: 2-8
2016: 2-8
2017: 10-2
2018: 13-2

2014 was 8-3.

Let’s not forget this was a Girard team playing the lower tier of the aac. Not sure how much success they would have had in the correct tier. Except last year.

Gameday. To answer a question about Girards discipline. The superintendent had to be contacted yesterday over the threat from a Girard player to break a Kennedy players leg by any means necessary, regardless of consequences. His stated goal was to "make sure _______ never plays football again". He admitted to saying it, he is still playing tonight. That's Girards discipline. I'm sure ICBM and the other Indians apologists will deny this but it is 100% true. I won't say nsmes or how I truly feel about this, just more than ever I hope we beat their .

2014 was 8-3.

Let’s not forget this was a Girard team playing the lower tier of the aac. Not sure how much success they would have had in the correct tier. Except last year.
Piersons first year Girard was still D5. When they joined the AAC Blue tier, Liberty and Champion were both bigger before Girard had a spike in enrollment. They also made the playoffs three of those five years regardless of who they played and would have likely beat most teams in the middle two years ago. The other two years were rebuilding with mostly freshmen and sophomores. They still played and beat Hubbard, Jefferson and Niles two years ago and scrimmaged Poland every year. And Struthers last year. So it’s not like this is virgin territory this year.

Yep. Those things happen. A team had a bounty on my son his senior year. Put him in the hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung. One of his college team mates who was on the other team told him about it. Not a good look. 16 year olds sometimes aren’t very smart.
Those things do not happen normally. Lol

I did not expect this game to be that easy. JFK was supposed to be better than last year, and Girard not as good as last year. Girard dominated like last year. Either JFK is not as good, or people are under estimating Girard.

I for one underestimated Girard. They played better last night than they did the first two games. Kudos to them. JFK will be ok, even though they suffered two serious injuries. Both were transported to Akron late last night with one having surgery this afternoon and the other in the ICU with a very serious head injury. Also Coach Bayuk took a shot on the sidelines and wasn't in very good shape after the game.

I for one underestimated Girard. They played better last night than they did the first two games. Kudos to them. JFK will be ok, even though they suffered two serious injuries. Both were transported to Akron late last night with one having surgery this afternoon and the other in the ICU with a very serious head injury. Also Coach Bayuk took a shot on the sidelines and wasn't in very good shape after the game.
JFK kids played hard. I was impressed with how hard it was to bring down their running backs. After the first couple drives they had trouble getting running room but still ran through a lot of first hits. In the end Girard got more open field opportunities to make some long runs.
Hope things turn out well for the kids that got hurt. Hate to see kids lose a season. As a father and now grandfather, I cringe with every tackle. Hope coach Bayuk regains his senses too. He’s a great guy. Good luck the rest of the way.

Sadly Jordan Edmondsons high school career is over. He broke 4 of the 5 metatarsals in his foot and also tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus in his knee. He already had surgery to have rods placed in his foot and will have further surgery to repair his knee. Its the second year in a row that a player has gotten a freak catastrophic injury in this game. OLB Nate McCue also went to Akron and was in ICU with a small bleed on the brain. Thankfully he will be ok although probably out for the season. His injury was eerie to watch on film as he really just got barely hit, almost brushed by and just went down. It almost looked like a boxer getting knocked out. Scary stuff.

Sadly Jordan Edmondsons high school career is over. He broke 4 of the 5 metatarsals in his foot and also tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus in his knee. He already had surgery to have rods placed in his foot and will have further surgery to repair his knee. Its the second year in a row that a player has gotten a freak catastrophic injury in this game. OLB Nate McCue also went to Akron and was in ICU with a small bleed on the brain. Thankfully he will be ok although probably out for the season. His injury was eerie to watch on film as he really just got barely hit, almost brushed by and just went down. It almost looked like a boxer getting knocked out. Scary stuff.
Sorry to hear this. I know injuries are part of the game, but these kind are really serious, and not just your minor bumps and bruises. Hoping for a good recovery for those kids