2-0 DIV Girard @ 2-0 DVII Warren JFK

Jaws31

It had to be done
This is shaping up to be a fairly big game this year. Last season was a blow out win for the Indians. They had a great season that ended as runners up in DIV and were led by arguably one of the best QBs in the state, Marky Waid who is now at YSU.

Kennedy rebounded from a rough start against a nightmare schedule to make to the regional finals, falling to Cuyahoga Heights.

In this game last season JFK had to start 6 freshman on defense due to injuries and suffered a horrific injury to their best wideout on the third play of the game. Girard would most likely of still of won but the score may not have been so lopsided.

Girard lost 20+ seniors, Kennedy 5. Girard returns good skill with Louisville recruit Nick Malito, Jones and Clardy and lineman, YSU recruit Haeden Gump.

Kennedy returns most of their offensive production in Hollobaugh, Likens, Edmondson, Williamson(who suffered a broken leg in this game and is back to 100%), Fordeley, Green and QB Marantis.

I think the difference in this game will be the difference. Having seen Girard in person and now on film, their defense is vulnerable, especially on the edges and in the pass game.

Kennedy wins 34-21

Whoever wins the turnover battle wins. That I cannot predict but if I had to pick a score it would be

Girard 27
Jfk 30

Girard wins 28-7. Just based off of jfk vs champion.
Fair enough, but Girards defense won't hold hold JFK to 7 pts. Not knocking West Branch, they played with their 4th snd 5th string rbs, but our offense is much, much better. Champions gameplan was to play keep away and they did it well. They held the ball for 35 minutes of the 48 minute game. Snapping the ball with 1 second on the play clock most times. We also left points on the field. The final score should have been closer to 28-6 or 35-6. Not taking anything away from them though. They are much improved over last season.

Fair enough, but Girards defense won't hold hold JFK to 7 pts. Not knocking West Branch, they played with their 4th snd 5th string rbs, but our offense is much, much better. Champions gameplan was to play keep away and they did it well. They held the ball for 35 minutes of the 48 minute game. Snapping the ball with 1 second on the play clock most times. We also left points on the field. The final score should have been closer to 28-6 or 35-6. Not taking anything away from them though. They are much improved over last season.
Yeah I have no idea how good Girard is yet. I guess we will find out Friday.

Girard can win if it limits turnovers, controls the ball with long drives, eliminates stupid dead-ball penalties, and plays sound defensively.

Whether they can do all that is questionable.

Shaping up like a contest that could be decided in the 4th quarter, which means whichever team is better conditioned, better prepared, and better disciplined will likely prevail.

I might be in the minority here, but I think this is a blowout Girard's way. They still have a ton of team speed, and their defensive front 4 is really stout. I do not think JFK will be able to keep up with Girard's overall team speed. They will run by them. 35-20 Indians.

WOW!!! That JFK - Champion game shoulda, coulda might have been 35-6!!!!! Man, when you factor in the “if” factor, JFK IS A POWERHOUSE!!!!
Hmmmmm.... Using the power of the “if” factor...If Girard doesn’t turn it over four times and scores all four times (and they “could” have, only punted once and all turn overs were deep in WB territory) the final “could” have been Girard 57-West Branch 23. Girard played a freshman corner in that game as well. “If” Malitos younger brother had played at that corner, he “might” have stopped some of the WB passing yards and scoring. So if we use the Jaws31 “if” factor, the final “could” have been say 57-13.
But since we are dealing with reality, the younger Malito will play this week, bolstering the edge and the pass defense that Jaws finds weak. Girards passing game will likely struggle a little. But they will find ways to move the ball. How well they stop JFK will determine the outcome. It’s not the normal air attack this year. But they still have some athletes that if they get a crack can hurt you. And Malito’s 4.3 speed will get him behind people for quick strike opportunities. I think it’s close. 28-27 kind of score which is the norm for this game. Either way. But I like Girard a little more. Go figure! D4 vs D7, Girard should be favored but the shouldas and Ifs factor won’t be in play Saturday night.

Last edited:
It all falls under the football definition of LUCK.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity and you take advantage of it. Or something like that. Opportunities lost can never be reclaimed no matter how many couldas and ifs you throw out there. The final score is final. Like it or not.

Spread; they'll have their fair share of personal fouls. I think it just comes with the territory with this team and program at this point.

How was this year’s girard team discipline wise? Any fistfights yet?
I haven’t seen a fist fight in decades, despite rumors to the contrary. The last punch I saw was the Hubbard kid Morales last year who punched our little soccer player kicker for tackling him. He got booted in that one and again I think against East or Poland. That ended his season.
Some hard pushing and and trash talking after the bell have gotten them some personals but I’ve seen it both ways with most teams including WB. Last two years they could make up a 15 yard penalty in one play. Can’t afford any extra yards to make up this year. Don’t need it any year. Hope not to see any in the future. ?

I haven’t seen a fist fight in decades, despite rumors to the contrary. The last punch I saw was the Hubbard kid Morales last year who punched our little soccer player kicker for tackling him. He got booted in that one and again I think against East or Poland. That ended his season.
Some hard pushing and and trash talking after the bell have gotten them some personals but I’ve seen it both ways with most teams including WB. Last two years they could make up a 15 yard penalty in one play. Can’t afford any extra yards to make up this year. Don’t need it any year. Hope not to see any in the future. ?
Decades? lol

'87 Campbell-Girard. The last of the true brew hah hah's

Decades? lol
OK Spread. Maybe i missed something. I did miss like three games in the last 15/20 years so i could be wrong. Refresh my memory. Like I said. There’s been shoving and taunting. But a punch is an ejection. Hasn’t been one for that anytime recent.

Last edited:
'87 Campbell-Girard. The last of the true brew hah hah's
Exactly. And that was started by Campbell when a kid took a 20 yard running start and speared Cochran in the back while the refs were enforcing the third unsportsmanlike penalty on the same play. Made it like 4th and 55! LOL.
Nothing in this century.

Exactly. And that was started by Campbell when a kid took a 20 yard running start and speared Cochran in the back while the refs were enforcing the third unsportsmanlike penalty on the same play as I recall. Nothing in this century I can recall.
IDidn’t one just go down with niles like a year or two ago on GOTW?
I believe I read about one with Brookfield in like 06 too or one of those tac 8 schools

IDidn’t one just go down with niles like a year or two ago on GOTW?
I believe I read about one with Brookfield in like 06 too or one of those tac 8 schools
Yeah I remembered this so I googled "Niles and Girard football fight"
It takes you to WKBN TV with Chad Krispinsky and showed a replay of went down.
2016- 1st quarter. Girard player tackles a Niles player and the Girard player pushes his helmet, then knees him. That's when the sheet hit the fan.
I remember the delay was long after the Refs restored order and got the appropriate people out of the game. They said 4 ejections but I'm not sure how many per squad.

That was a Thursday night game at Niles. I remember my niece was here from California at the game. Heavy threat of rain. I remember something around the maybe the 40 yard line on Niles sideline. TV probably showed and said more than I saw. I think I would remember four guys getting ejected. I can’t deny it might have happened. That was a very young team. Mostly sophomores and freshmen. Waid was a sophomore. Malito and Gump were freshmen starters.

I don't know if the four guys got ejected that night. The TV report I mentioned wasn't the same day as the game. They stated the AAC commish came out with the statement of the suspensions. The play on the TV was Niles ball on Girards 12 yard line.

Video evidence! Can’t deny it. Little push and shove to provoke it I will say.
Not acceptable.

Last edited:
WOW!!! That JFK - Champion game shoulda, coulda might have been 35-6!!!!! Man, when you factor in the “if” factor, JFK IS A POWERHOUSE!!!!
Hmmmmm.... Using the power of the “if” factor...If Girard doesn’t turn it over four times and scores all four times (and they “could” have, only punted once and all turn overs were deep in WB territory) the final “could” have been Girard 57-West Branch 23. Girard played a freshman corner in that game as well. “If” Malitos younger brother had played at that corner, he “might” have stopped some of the WB passing yards and scoring. So if we use the Jaws31 “if” factor, the final “could” have been say 57-13.
But since we are dealing with reality, the younger Malito will play this week, bolstering the edge and the pass defense that Jaws finds weak. Girards passing game will likely struggle a little. But they will find ways to move the ball. How well they stop JFK will determine the outcome. It’s not the normal air attack this year. But they still have some athletes that if they get a crack can hurt you. And Malito’s 4.3 speed will get him behind people for quick strike opportunities. I think it’s close. 28-27 kind of score which is the norm for this game. Either way. But I like Girard a little more. Go figure! D4 vs D7, Girard should be favored but the shouldas and Ifs factor won’t be in play Saturday night.
If you're reading comprehension was a little better you would realize that I was dealing in ifs. I said that we left points on the field. I also praised Champions gameplan. Yes the score "should" of been wider but I am not making excuses as to why.

You on the other hand continously bring up the 4 turnovers as though Girard just decided to set the ball on the ground for West Branch out of charity. The warriors caused the fumbles and the interception were due to the inability of your QB to throw the ball downfield against any type of athletes(EP doesn't count as they have none).

"If" the younger Malitio has recovered from mono and has better natural pass coverage skills then maybe he will make a slight difference. If he relies on the coach taught standing upright, flatfooted, eyes on the QB coverage then it wont.

How was this year’s girard team discipline wise? Any fistfights yet?
Its not as bad as it has been in the past....yet. I'm sure they will try to be "intimidating" this weekend. Won't work for them. They are undisciplined in a lot of other ways though too. On tape there is ALOT of Randy Moss type of going through the motions when the plays aren't going their way, both on offense or defense. Not sure if its conditioning or coaching. I'm guessing a little of both.

Big rivalry game here. Both teams have talent. Usually comes down to coaching. JFK gets the nod here. Eagles by a score or less.

Girard hasn’t more game breakers it seems, jfk had
More discipline and a way better coach, could be a chess match, could be a blow out who knows really.

The final score should have been closer to 28-6 or 35-6.

Jaws. You stated the score “should have been 28-6 or 35-6”
If it should have been, it would have been.
I didn’t bring up turn overs in this thread. I brought it up when a WB poster said something about “if” the injured players had played. So I returned “if” Girard doesn’t turn it over.
In general on this board, couldas and ifs and scrimmages are no basis for comparison. And a lot of people won’t compare performances and game scores against like opponents. But it can make for conversation at times.
Anyway, the boys will show up and play Friday night. It’s a big rivalry game. I know Girard looks forward to it big time. It could be a shoot out or a knock out. Still too early in the season to tell. I’m sure you’ve done all your research and curled up with your computer to watch Girard on Huddle with your notebook by your side just waiting for Coach Bayuk to call for your advice. When he does, tell him ICBM said hello. We go way back.
And when it’s over, regardless of who wins, don’t be a Paladin with excuses and coulda and ifs about how it could have been better or worse for one team or the other. Congratulate the winner or accept the loss graciously. I know I will.

Girard hasn’t more game breakers it seems, jfk had
More discipline and a way better coach, could be a chess match, could be a blow out who knows really.

Everybody with the better coach. Girard went to the state final last year. Did well the year before and has multiple playoff appearances and usually goes to the second round and one other regional. Somebody is teaching these kids how to play. Jeff Bayuk is a great coach. He’s proven it time and again. But the Girard staff gets it done too.

Last edited: