1964 State Tournament - Anyone Have Information?

LeopardNation

I am looking for full results, or really even just state qualifiers, for the 1964 Ohio State Wrestling Tournament.

I'm specifically looking to verify whether or not Stan Zwick of Louisville qualified for state in 1964 because he is currently not on our list of state qualifiers.

I have so far come up empty in newspaper databases online as well as the Alliance Review.

The OHSAA website only shows the wrestlers that placed in each weight class of that year, he did not place according to my source.

I figured this was as good as a place as any to ask if anyone personally had newspaper clippings, programs, etc. from this tournament or if there would be some type of historical website on wrestling in Ohio that you can point me to that might have this information.

I am looking for full results, or really even just state qualifiers, for the 1964 Ohio State Wrestling Tournament.

I'm specifically looking to verify whether or not Stan Zwick of Louisville qualified for state in 1964 because he is currently not on our list of state qualifiers.

I have so far come up empty in newspaper databases online as well as the Alliance Review.

The OHSAA website only shows the wrestlers that placed in each weight class of that year, he did not place according to my source.

I figured this was as good as a place as any to ask if anyone personally had newspaper clippings, programs, etc. from this tournament or if there would be some type of historical website on wrestling in Ohio that you can point me to that might have this information.

Send me an email. I may be able to get you in touch with someone who may have the bracket. He found the 1963 bracket for me that I was able to have reproduced for our 1st state champion Walter Keith

chrischidlaw@yahoo.com

You might want to try the Akron Beacon Journal on microfilm. The Akron Public Library had all of the old ABJ's on microfilm at the downtown branch. At least the last time I was there (which was a few years ago).

It'd be cool if the poster is able to get the info he's looking for, LEOPARD NATION does an outstanding job covering their high school sports.

A lot of newspapers now have searchable files available through the local library.

Heading to Louisville Library today to see if the 1964 Herald has anything. I figure that’s my best bet then I’ll bother Stark County Library to see if they can find it.

The Alliance Review only had a small little story but didn’t mention names.

I am pretty sure my uncle was a district champ and state qualifier in 1964, but it may have been 1963. If it was 1964, I have seen the brackets. As soon as I can get in touch with him, I will have him check the brackets. I will let you know one way or another. If he does find him in the brackets, I will send you a picture of the bracket.

Sorry to hear that I didn't open it up to check what it showed.

All good, I checked here first. It looks like their files were pulled from an OHSAA Records book that used to be published.

My grandfather gave me one of these books from the late 1950s. Only $1.50 back then lol, money well spent for sure.

Kudos to whoever at the OHSAA went through and added all that history!

I am pretty sure my uncle was a district champ and state qualifier in 1964, but it may have been 1963. If it was 1964, I have seen the brackets. As soon as I can get in touch with him, I will have him check the brackets. I will let you know one way or another. If he does find him in the brackets, I will send you a picture of the bracket.

Excellent! I believe Stan Zwick was 103 weight class.

Heading to Louisville Library today to see if the 1964 Herald has anything. I figure that’s my best bet then I’ll bother Stark County Library to see if they can find it.

The Alliance Review only had a small little story but didn’t mention names.
The couple of newspapers I searched were available on the county library's website.

Here you go. Completed bracket.

Attachments

• Resized_20210309_182106_2221.jpeg
    Resized_20210309_182106_2221.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 80
Here you go. Completed bracket.

I can't thank you enough, my contact will be stoked to have this confirmed and added to our list of state qualifiers!

It is amazing the information that can be accessed when the Yappi community is utilized.

Thank you to all who tried to help!

I qualified for state championships from Hoover in 64, 65, and 66. I have the state programs from those years and I don't recall anyone from Louisville qualifying for state. If you need anything from that time, I can assist. Actually I also have the program from 1967.

I qualified for state championships from Hoover in 64, 65, and 66. I have the state programs from those years and I don't recall anyone from Louisville qualifying for state. If you need anything from that time, I can assist. Actually I also have the program from 1967.

No one from those years other than 1964 - Stan Zwick as proven by the bracket above.

Im curious though,was It the top 4 from 4 districts like today or did they have 8 districts and take the top 2 from each. I saw some of our wrestlers take 3rd at district in history but were not among the state qualifiers, so I’m guessing the latter. Perhaps not as many/only one division then though.

No one from those years other than 1964 - Stan Zwick as proven by the bracket above.

Im curious though,was It the top 4 from 4 districts like today or did they have 8 districts and take the top 2 from each. I saw some of our wrestlers take 3rd at district in history but were not among the state qualifiers, so I’m guessing the latter. Perhaps not as many/only one division then though.
LeopardNation,
I believe they only took the District Champ all the way up until 1971 (In 1971 they went to top 4 out of the District). I believe they had 8 Districts and the Champs are the only ones that qualified. Plus I do not think they had wrestle backs in 1964, you had to make it to the semi finals to make the top 4 in the state. The winners in the semis wrestled to 1st place and the losers wrestled for 3rd place.

Never mind, I noticed on the State Bracket that was posted they did have a "follow the leader" bracket. So I was wrong about the State procedure but I do know I was correct about only the District Champ being the State Qual.

Our district qualified two for state. I think SE OH took one. The Cleveland area took a bunch like five. I will check to let you know. My junior year, I believe Dave Jackson finished in the top four at 127 lbs.
Back to Zwick, I do recall that our 103 lber wrestled him in 1963, our guy was a district champion and I don't know if Zwick made it to Columbus.

I am sorry, I went up in the garage rafters and pulled out the 1964 program and I saw that Stan zwick made it to Columbus. He was a senior 103 liberal, rare! Didn't mean to lead you astray, my 70 year old memory deserted me!!!

I looked at the 1964 program and here's the qualifiers for state (I think): Southeast OH-1, Columbus-2, Northeast OH-2, Dayton Cincy-2, Toledo-4, and Cleveland district-5. It could be that Cleveland qualified six, not completely sure though!