1960's .... Top studio Rock/Metal album of the 60's... give me some suggestions....

vamp2syd

What are your top studio rock/Metal albums of the 1960's? Give me some suggestions and if I have not heard it I'll give it a listen and maybe it will make my top 40 list. Only factory studio albums... no live albums unless the tracks are unique to that album (that is they do not appear on a studio album)

If you have some stories to share about bands you saw from the 60's please do........

My Top 40 Studio Rock/Metal Albums of the 1960's...... in reverse order.

Note.... Jimi Hendrix album appears twice because of different US and UK versions.... if you believe it should only be counted once I added an additional album...

rank/album/band/r=rock,m=metal/sub genre/ratings/year released

41 Cheap Thrills - Big Brother & The Holding Company r Blues 76.156 1968

40 Bringing It All Back Home - Bob Dylan r Folk 76.256 1965
39 Kinks-Size - Kinks, The r Rock-n-Roll 76.501 1965
38 Buffalo Springfield Again - Buffalo Springfield r Folk 76.701 1967
37 Aftermath (US) - Rolling Stones r Hard 76.765 1966
36 For Your Love - Yardbirds, The r Rock Blues 76.838 1965
35 Out of Our Heads (US) - Rolling Stones r Rock-n-roll 77.054 1965
34 A Piper at Dawn Pink Floyd r Psychedelic 77.129 1967
33 Beggars Banquet - Rolling Stones r Roots 77.301 1968
32 White Album - Beatles, The r Rock 77.367 1968
31 Ptooff! - Deviants, The r Psychedelic 77.442 1967

30 The Allman Brothers Band - Allman Brothers Band, The r Southern 77.985 1969
29 Goodbye - Cream r Hard 78.061 1969
28 Kick Out The Jams (Live-studio) - MC5 r Proto-Punk 78.206 1969
27 Colours - Colours r Psychedelic 78.220 1968
26 A Hard Day's Night - Beatles, The r Rock 78.284 1964
25 Younger Than Yesterday - Byrds, The r Folk 78.474 1967
24 Having a Rave Up - Yardbirds, The r Rock Blues 78.501 1965
23 Shades of Deep Purple - Deep Purple r Psychedelic 78.535 1968
22 Face to Face - Kinks, The r Rock 78.769 1966
21 Waiting for the Sun - Doors, The r Psychedelic 79.547 1968

20 Help! - Beatles, The r Folk 80.083 1965
19 The Smoke - Smoke, The [US] r Psychedelic 80.092 1968
18 Are You Experienced? (UK) - Jimi Hendrix Experience r Psychedelic 80.092 1967
17 Abbey Road - Beatles, The r Rock 80.348 1969
16 The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel r Folk 81.274 1966
15 Strange Days - Doors, The r Psychedelic 81.461 1967
14 Willy and the Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival r Roots 81.721 1969
13 Rubber Soul (UK) - Beatles, The r Folk 81.826 1965
12 Bayou Country - Creedence Clearwater Revival r Roots 81.985 1969
11 What's Bin Did and What's Bin Hid - Donovan r Folk 82.004 1965

10 Sunshine Superman (US version) - Donovan r Folk 82.381 1966
09 Revolver - Beatles, The r Rock 82.583 1966
08 Are You Experienced? (US-version) - Jimi Hendrix Experience r Psychedelic 82.801 1967
07 Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival r Roots 82.846 1969
06 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band - Beatles, The r Rock 85.438 1967
05 Crosby Stills & Nash - Crosby Stills & Nash r Folk 85.741 1969
04 Led Zeppelin 2 - Led Zeppelin r Hard 86.402 1969
03 Led Zeppelin 1 - Led Zeppelin r Hard 88.779 1969
02 The Doors - Doors, The r Psychedelic 89.183 1967
01 Magical Mystery Tour - Beatles, The r Psychedelic 89.965 1967

=============================================================

Honorable Mention....

Please Please Me - Beatles, The
Days of Future Passed - Moody Blues, The
Let it Bleed - Rolling Stones
Neon Pearl - Neon Pearl
Roger the Engineer - Yardbirds, The

==========================================

Next month I will list my top albums of the 70's ...

Last edited:

Very eclectic list, not too many times you see Donovan make a top 10 album list. Some notables that are missing>

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd
Tommy - The Who
Surrealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane
In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

And one under the radar that is very important:
Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The Byrds

Another vote for In the court of the Crimson King - King Crimson.

Actually Auggie has a pretty good list too.

Very eclectic list, not too many times you see Donovan make a top 10 album list. Some notables that are missing>

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd
Tommy - The Who
Surrealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane
In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

And one under the radar that is very important:
Sweetheart of the Rodeo - The Byrds

I've heard all of those albums and the one that came the closest to making my list was Highway 61 Revisited. As for Van Morrison, I can get into a few of his songs but overall just cannot get into him. I will have to revisit The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It has been a long time since I've heard that album and there are some great songs on it but I did not care too much for side 2 with the exception of the last track. I am older and mellowed out a lot so a re-rating of the album is necessary.

There is something wrong with me as I do not get into King Crimson. How many bands are influenced by them and yet for me does not do a thing.... maybe I need to hit my head and try again. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is just way too Country for me.....

I wouldn’t classify anything from the 60s as Metal.

Led Zeppelin II is very close to being the 1st Metal album, some also consider Blue Cheer and Iron Butterfly Metal bands. By the way this was recorded in the '60s, missed being released in the '60s by roughly 40 days>

I've heard all of those albums and the one that came the closest to making my list was Highway 61 Revisited. As for Van Morrison, I can get into a few of his songs but overall just cannot get into him. I will have to revisit The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It has been a long time since I've heard that album and there are some great songs on it but I did not care too much for side 2 with the exception of the last track. I am older and mellowed out a lot so a re-rating of the album is necessary.

There is something wrong with me as I do not get into King Crimson. How many bands are influenced by them and yet for me does not do a thing.... maybe I need to hit my head and try again. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is just way too Country for me.....

In the past you have mentioned you are not a big fan of jazz, so it makes sense you do not care for Van Morrison. The one that surprises me the most missing is Pet Sounds, that is darn nearly a perfect album and many have it in their top 10. Considered the 1st real coherent rock album, at that time an album was a way to supplement single sales, and the sound Brian Wilson got just opened up everyone to what a studio could do with rock music.

In the past you have mentioned you are not a big fan of jazz, so it makes sense you do not care for Van Morrison. The one that surprises me the most missing is Pet Sounds, that is darn nearly a perfect album and many have it in their top 10. Considered the 1st real coherent rock album, at that time an album was a way to supplement single sales, and the sound Brian Wilson got just opened up everyone to what a studio could do with rock music.

I've listened to 5 Beach Boys albums and the only ones I liked were Surfin Safari and Surf USA. As for Pet Sounds I have only listened to this album once and maybe it is one that needs to grow on me but the only songs I liked off of it was Wouldn't It be Nice, Sloop John B, and God Only Knows. I always see this album listed in top 20's and albums you must hear before you die.... I just don't know... I never listened to the Beach Boys back in the day other than what came on the radio and I like most of their hits..... maybe I am just one of those greatest hits guys when it comes to them.

A Piper At Dawn

I just listened to this one again as it has been about 30 years since I last heard it. Once again the first side of this one is solid. Astronomy Domine is easily the best song on it for me. Other great tracks include Lucifer Sam, Matilda Mother, and Flaming. Side two for me lacks even though I did like the Gnome much better this time. Overall with the strength of side 1 and some tracks on side 2 I liked better the rating improved enough to put it in my top 40 at #34. I edited it in since I own this album and had already rated it before.

any new 60's album I hear while doing this thread that make my top 40 I will not edit them in but re-list my top 40 at the end when I start the top 70's rock/metal albums thread.....

This was not your average Beach Boys album but their 1967 "Smiley Smile" is a hidden gem.

A Piper At Dawn

I just listened to this one again as it has been about 30 years since I last heard it. Once again the first side of this one is solid. Astronomy Domine is easily the best song on it for me. Other great tracks include Lucifer Sam, Matilda Mother, and Flaming. Side two for me lacks even though I did like the Gnome much better this time. Overall with the strength of side 1 and some tracks on side 2 I liked better the rating improved enough to put it in my top 40 at #34. I edited it in since I own this album and had already rated it before.

any new 60's album I hear while doing this thread that make my top 40 I will not edit them in but re-list my top 40 at the end when I start the top 70's rock/metal albums thread.....

In honor of Syd Barrett's birthday here is a little something from this album, the side 2 opener Interstellar Overdrive, done live at the UFO Club. Needless to say the LSD was plentiful at this place>

This was not your average Beach Boys album but their 1967 "Smiley Smile" is a hidden gem.

This was the record that drove Brian Wilson over the edge, it got re-worked by others and was not what he wanted to put out. The record he wanted released came out years later and I found it fantastic, the Smile Sessions. I would not put the original in a top 1000 of the '60s but would consider the re-released version as a top 40. Here is the center piece tune, the haunting Surf's Up, from the Smile Sessions>

This was the record that drove Brian Wilson over the edge, it got re-worked by others and was not what he wanted to put out. The record he wanted released came out years later and I found it fantastic, the Smile Sessions. I would not put the original in a top 1000 of the '60s but would consider the re-released version as a top 40. Here is the center piece tune, the haunting Surf's Up, from the Smile Sessions>
Popularity wise you are probably right. I liked it because they ventured outside of their normal selves, and it was unique. Actually, I wonder how much drugs played a part in "Smiley Smile" :ROFLMAO:?

Checked out the Stones 12X5 album ..... did not care for any of the original material but did like some of the covers.... also checked out Traffic's self titled album. I only liked half the tracks on it....

Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream.... checked that one out today.... not too bad but did not make my top 40.

Checked out Blue Cheer's debut album..... very heavy blues sound as expected but disappointed over all in it.

I don't know of specific albums, but have some group names from that era that I liked.

Steppenwolf
The Animals
Sly and the Family Stone
Joe Cocker
Grand Funk Railroad

I don't know of specific albums, but have some group names from that era that I liked.

Steppenwolf
The Animals
Sly and the Family Stone
Joe Cocker
Grand Funk Railroad

Checked out Steppenwolf's The Second album which I liked much better than their debut.....

Iron Butterfly. Great lyrics and IMO one of the best bass players to date.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo ..... I admit that I have never tried to listen to Iron Butterfly and that is likely because I cannot stand that song In the Garden of Eden ... (Is that what it is called? ) Oh it makes me cringe just thinking of it..... Is that track the norm of the sound of the band or is it completely different?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo ..... I admit that I have never tried to listen to Iron Butterfly and that is likely because I cannot stand that song In the Garden of Eden ... (Is that what it is called? ) Oh it makes me cringe just thinking of it..... Is that track the norm of the sound of the band or is it completely different?
Completely different. many varied sounds.

It was supposed to be "In the Garden of Eden", but the lead singer was wasted when it was recorded and it sounded like "In a Gadda Da Vida"., so that's what they called it.