13M NIL for a high school recruit

The point was they deserved to be pd. (football players)
Going to play a little devils advocate here.

You could take the entire OSU and UM roster and if they never played for either school and put them on teams called the Ann Arbor Skunks and the Columbus Walnuts and have them play each other and about 100 people other than family and fiends would show up. (Think NBA G League) Now you could take the rosters of Hillsdale College and Ohio Dominican and put Michigan and Ohio state uniforms on them and those players would sell out the Ohio Stadium. College football is huge because of the names on the front not the names on the back.

You could take the entire OSU and UM roster and if they never played for either school and put them on teams called the Ann Arbor Skunks and the Columbus Walnuts and have them play each other and about 100 people other than family and fiends would show up. (Think NBA G League) Now you could take the rosters of Hillsdale College and Ohio Dominican and put Michigan and Ohio state uniforms on them and those players would sell out the Ohio Stadium. College football is huge because of the names on the front not the names on the back.
Somebody will also take to offense the name Skunks...lol

All of the names on the back over decades is what made what's on the front what it is.

He ain’t wrong. It’s pretty much semi-pro without the schools. I got better things to do than watch Tommy and nem play unaffiliated football. 😂😂

As a student athlete, it is hard going through the school year with no money. Sure, tuition, room, and food is all paid for. A stipend for living expenses would be great. But these college players pulling in $100k + is ridiculous. Oh, and I know the argument, that these players bring in hundreds of millions for the universities. True, they do. Then maybe these universities should make things cheaper for everyone. Honestly it has all gotten out of hand. College football is ruined because of this. IMO

$13m for a high school player? That's crazy. My favorite high school got an NFL tackle for a quarter of that. The SEC right?

and yet you don't hear word from the NCAA concerning this or that other schools have contacted other players on other teams... and all quiet on the NCAA front.... but they want to break the balls of haubaugh for buying some players some hamburgers!!!
Incorrect. The NCAA is breaking balls because Harbaugh lied about buying the hamburgers

Incorrect. The NCAA is breaking balls because Harbaugh lied about buying the hamburgers
and yet the NCAA does nothing when a team contacts a player from another team, and tells him that he should enter the transfer portal.... then they have a place for him on their team.. and those dumaces have a problem with a coach buying some hamburgers for a recruit... give me a break!!!

and yet the NCAA does nothing when a team contacts a player from another team, and tells him that he should enter the transfer portal.... then they have a place for him on their team.. and those dumaces have a problem with a coach buying some hamburgers for a recruit... give me a break!!!
NCAA doesn’t care about any of that. Just don’t lie to them

THAT happened THIS season, when A. D. Mitchell flew from Athens to Tejas!!!!!!

They bleed money now...I don't know why they haven't went FBS...they cut baseball and other sports to save money...now they are bringing back baseball...are on their third coach now, if I am correct
UAB ceased playing football about three seasons ago. And when we played um recently, they were twice as good as TCU!

In the near future, I think a guy playing at Akron might get the shirt, the sunglasses, the sports drinks…some room and board…and no scholarship. In the world of “you get what you’re worth”…a guy playing at Akron isn’t worth the cost of a bachelor’s degree.

Value, worth…what’s a right guard at Akron, a football program that bleeds money…what’s he worth? In the “brave new world” of NIL, I think you look at Akron and tell them to cut costs…dramatically.
You folks have NIL ALL wrong. You don't give them SQUAT up front! They hafta EARN it! If you can survive Bloody Tuesday in Athens , there is a spot waiting for you on Sunday.

Do I like NIL...yes and no....but my question to most people...why do you limit the opportunity for somebody to make money...if they have abilities and the money is there why tell them no? The coaches make big money, the University makes big money, you at your job makes big money...depending on what your job is there is a pay scale and am pretty sure you do not work for the lowest pay scale for what you have chosen to do...but I also do know the amount of money that is being thrown out there will probably not last...what is the return for person giving the money...will they keep doing it...probably but like anything it will level out. Also these kids can't go pro...because they are kids...they are 18 and can not go play against men..till they become older themselves. What is out of whack is the amount of money that the coaches and universities are making...and nobody says anything about those numbers...Ryan day is the highest paid state employee in Ohio...and am pretty sure Nick Saban is the highest paid state employee in Alabama.
I have NO issue with NIL, if it is done after the signing day. If a kid can market himself later, SO BE IT! But I have ENORMOUS issues with that DANG PORTAL! Everybody made a big deal about UGA and their fifteen NFL draft choices last season., But did you know that SIX OTHER draft picks were former GEORGIA BULLDOGS? If we had had everybody, we'da beat Nicky Satan into RETIREMENT! And one of those played for THE Ohio State!

My answer is that I’m not telling them ‘no’. I’m simply much less interested in watching when I know they’re getting paid in addition to getting their schooling, room, board, books, etc. paid for. If it’s true college football I have some interest. If it’s semi-pro teams that are affiliated with colleges, I’m out.
HECK, I'd like to know how much money they spend on each player in the program, for 'essentials' such as sneakers, cleats, clothing, letter jackets, etc. I'll bet every kid has at least 15 to 20 ensembles to wear, in leu of their personal clothing. And in premier programs, a player should never have need for any type of nutrition on campus. It's all provided in the athletic department confines. And I would imagine that any player who wants their jersey and helmet when they leave school, gets it for their very own.

And the irony of all this is, that the NCAA prohibits spending more than $450 per player, for championship rings of any sort.

LOOKS as though our lil lizard buddies down in the swamp are struggling! ***ROTFLMAO*** UGA has three FIVE stars who have been riding the pine for two years, while our walk on played.
THAT happened THIS season, when A. D. Mitchell flew from Athens to Tejas!!!!!!
UAB ceased playing football about three seasons ago. And when we played um recently, they were twice as good as TCU!
You folks have NIL ALL wrong. You don't give them SQUAT up front! They hafta EARN it! If you can survive Bloody Tuesday in Athens , there is a spot waiting for you on Sunday.
I have NO issue with NIL, if it is done after the signing day. If a kid can market himself later, SO BE IT! But I have ENORMOUS issues with that DANG PORTAL! Everybody made a big deal about UGA and their fifteen NFL draft choices last season., But did you know that SIX OTHER draft picks were former GEORGIA BULLDOGS? If we had had everybody, we'da beat Nicky Satan into RETIREMENT! And one of those played for THE Ohio State!
I'll bet you can't name thirty?
HECK, I'd like to know how much money they spend on each player in the program, for 'essentials' such as sneakers, cleats, clothing, letter jackets, etc. I'll bet every kid has at least 15 to 20 ensembles to wear, in leu of their personal clothing. And in premier programs, a player should never have need for any type of nutrition on campus. It's all provided in the athletic department confines. And I would imagine that any player who wants their jersey and helmet when they leave school, gets it for their very own.

And the irony of all this is, that the NCAA prohibits spending more than $450 per player, for championship rings of any sort.

Just so you know, you don't need to make a new reply for each quote....

20 years ago I read an article on ESPN.com that Oklahoma estimated they spent $50,000 per football player for all of the things you listed.

Do I like NIL...yes and no....but my question to most people...why do you limit the opportunity for somebody to make money...if they have abilities and the money is there why tell them no? The coaches make big money, the University makes big money, you at your job makes big money...depending on what your job is there is a pay scale and am pretty sure you do not work for the lowest pay scale for what you have chosen to do...but I also do know the amount of money that is being thrown out there will probably not last...what is the return for person giving the money...will they keep doing it...probably but like anything it will level out. Also these kids can't go pro...because they are kids...they are 18 and can not go play against men..till they become older themselves. What is out of whack is the amount of money that the coaches and universities are making...and nobody says anything about those numbers...Ryan day is the highest paid state employee in Ohio...and am pretty sure Nick Saban is the highest paid state employee in Alabama.
Capitalism baby...get your's, the dudes on top certainly are.

If he actually said this then from my understanding it is and NCAA violation. Because my understanding is the school/coaches can have zero input into who and how much players get paid. If a booster wants to pay a player whatever amount that is between the player and the booster not the player, booster and school/coach.