13M NIL for a high school recruit

What’s nuts is the school offered the money then backed out. I would like to know how much of that is guaranteed. Wonder if it is more than the 7 mil the coach gets.

What’s nuts is the school offered the money then backed out. I would like to know how much of that is guaranteed. Wonder if it is more than the 7 mil the coach gets.
The school did not offer the money (Gator Collective a separate entity from the school did), the football coach is not even allowed according to the article to know the specifics of the deal.

The school did not offer the money (Gator Collective a separate entity from the school did), the football coach is not even allowed according to the article to know the specifics of the deal.
I, for one, definitely believe none of these coaches know anything about the specifics of these deals. I’m sure it’s never talked about, ever. I’m sure the coaches don’t talk to the donors about how much money it will take or who is a key target, ever. Their hands are clean, no doubt.

I, for one, definitely believe none of these coaches know anything about the specifics of these deals. I’m sure it’s never talked about, ever. I’m sure the coaches don’t talk to the donors about how much money it will take or who is a key target, ever. Their hands are clean, no doubt.
Of course they know about it. But that doesn’t mean the school is offering the money.

The way The Athletic characterized it, it’s actually another group that was supposed to finance the package. One different from the collective that negotiated and (was supposed to) finalize it.

Do I like NIL...yes and no....but my question to most people...why do you limit the opportunity for somebody to make money...if they have abilities and the money is there why tell them no? The coaches make big money, the University makes big money, you at your job makes big money...depending on what your job is there is a pay scale and am pretty sure you do not work for the lowest pay scale for what you have chosen to do...but I also do know the amount of money that is being thrown out there will probably not last...what is the return for person giving the money...will they keep doing it...probably but like anything it will level out. Also these kids can't go pro...because they are kids...they are 18 and can not go play against men..till they become older themselves. What is out of whack is the amount of money that the coaches and universities are making...and nobody says anything about those numbers...Ryan day is the highest paid state employee in Ohio...and am pretty sure Nick Saban is the highest paid state employee in Alabama.

This is NUTS!

and yet you don't hear word from the NCAA concerning this or that other schools have contacted other players on other teams... and all quiet on the NCAA front.... but they want to break the balls of haubaugh for buying some players some hamburgers!!!

Do I like NIL...yes and no....but my question to most people...why do you limit the opportunity for somebody to make money...if they have abilities and the money is there why tell them no?
My answer is that I’m not telling them ‘no’. I’m simply much less interested in watching when I know they’re getting paid in addition to getting their schooling, room, board, books, etc. paid for. If it’s true college football I have some interest. If it’s semi-pro teams that are affiliated with colleges, I’m out.

My answer is that I’m not telling them ‘no’. I’m simply much less interested in watching when I know they’re getting paid in addition to getting their schooling, room, board, books, etc. paid for. If it’s true college football I have some interest. If it’s semi-pro teams that are affiliated with colleges, I’m out.
I don't know the inner workings of collegiate sports regarding the funding of each individual sport. I do know that OSU football brings in a ton of money for the OSU athletic dept. whether it be tix. sales, merchandise sales, or tv rights revenue and I would say some of this money helps fund other athletic depts. besides football so why shouldn't the players get there cut? The mistake with NIL was the NCAA fighting it tooth and nail and being stuck with the Wild Wild West show we have now. Instead, the NCAA should have embraced NIL and help form the legislation regarding NIL so we would not have the circus that college football has currently become regarding NIL.

I don't know the inner workings of collegiate sports regarding the funding of each individual sport. I do know that OSU football brings in a ton of money for the OSU athletic dept. whether it be tix. sales, merchandise sales, or tv rights revenue and I would say some of this money helps fund other athletic depts. besides football so why shouldn't the players get there cut? The mistake with NIL was the NCAA fighting it tooth and nail and being stuck with the Wild Wild West show we have now. Instead, the NCAA should have embraced NIL and help form the legislation regarding NIL so we would not have the circus that college football has currently become regarding NIL.
If the schools start to directly pay football players for legal purposes they would no longer students they would be employees and comes will a lot of legal and tax changes. First their tuition room and board they don't pay for becomes taxable. If it is a public school they and the school would have to make payments into the state retirement system. All their pay would be public knowledge and they don't want the look of the highest paid state employee to be an incoming 17-18 year old freshman QB that currently live in another state. There would also be workers comp payments and football players would also be eligible to other (costly) benefits like health, dental, eye and life insurance.

I am no legal expect so guessing there would be other issues also. After 4 years and they want to let them go is it considered firing so eligible for unemployment? Would it be age discrimination for "firing" them because they got too old?

IMO there is zero chance the school will ever pay them directly from the TV and ticket revenue the school generates.

Does the idea that they've always been paid (albeit hidden from view) factor into it?

If the schools start to directly pay football players for legal purposes they would no longer students they would be employees and comes will a lot of legal and tax changes. First their tuition room and board they don't pay for becomes taxable. If it is a public school they and the school would have to make payments into the state retirement system. All their pay would be public knowledge and they don't want the look of the highest paid state employee to be an incoming 17-18 year old freshman QB that currently live in another state. There would also be workers comp payments and football players would also be eligible to other (costly) benefits like health, dental, eye and life insurance.

I am no legal expect so guessing there would be other issues also. After 4 years and they want to let them go is it considered firing so eligible for unemployment? Would it be age discrimination for "firing" them because they got too old?

IMO there is zero chance the school will ever pay them directly from the TV and ticket revenue the school generates.
You missed the point completely. The point was they deserved to be pd. (football players) the how part is up to the experts, the other point is the NCAA should have helped with the legislation of how it was done instead of digging in their heels in opposition to NIL. And OHSAA should be doing the same because it is coming to Ohio whether people want it not. Does OHSAA want to help form the NIL framework or have the courts or the state legislature do it for them.

Does the idea that they've always been paid (albeit hidden from view) factor into it?
Possibly. I’m just not a huge college sports guy, probably because the idea of grown men going to teenagers’ houses to entice them to come to their school just seems a little gross. I prefer pro sports where it’s 100% naked greed or high school, where - in my area at least - it’s true amateur sports.

My view (mentioned by others here)...I think college sports has crossed a line here...they have openly become a professional sports organization. I know...they have been for decades. However, this mythical idea of the "student-athlete" was an intellectual fraud BUT a concept that many people understood, appreciated that it wasn't totally on the "up and up", but could live with it...especially if they saw SOME evidence that the right tackle was being "coached up" in the classroom and in life. There were awards for academics, stories about school and class, graduation statistics...guys like Woody Hayes (read "Woody's Boys") who had their players come to his office and he'd read to them out of their textbooks if they got behind in their studies.

I don't think that works anymore. Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, etc...they are playing professional football (and other sports). They will be judged accordingly...as will the individual players. Wins and losses...nothing else...ugly behavior, booing of the quarterback on a bad day, like at a Browns' game at 3:30 on cloudy, snowy Sunday...drunk, nasty. Now, look...I understand that a place like Columbus, Ohio, is so invested in OSU football that it isn't going away, but the whole dynamic is going to change. The VERY talented are going to make a lot of money. The VERY large football programs are going to make a lot of money. The less-talented won't get a scholarship; the smaller sports will no longer offer scholarships. The smaller schools' sports teams will fade...club football for the MAC.

Is this "good"? Depends on whose side you're on. I see almost nothing good in it. If I was an "all in" Ohio State football fan (or Alabama, Georgia, etc.), I suppose I might feel differently...but I'm not that guy. I "prefer" Ohio State when they play Michigan...or Georgia...but I'm not rabid about it.

If I was a graduate of Ohio State, doing something successfully with my degree (doctor, lawyer, engineer, vet, scientist), I don't think I'd like all this...

Last edited:
Here's the group that can do something about this...probably won't but only they have the potential power to deal with this...

The American Association of Universities...America's 61 great research universities (in Ohio...OSU and CWRU...all of the members of the Big 10 except Nebraska)...

Take the steps necessary...follow these standards or we throw you out of our club.

My view (mentioned by others here)...I think college sports has crossed a line here...they have openly become a professional sports organization. I know...they have been for decades. However, this mythical idea of the "student-athlete" was something of an intellectual fraud BUT a concept that many people understood, appreciated that it wasn't totally on the "up and up", but could live with it...especially if they saw SOME evidence that the right tackle was being "coached up" in the classroom and in life. There were awards for academics, stories about school and class, graduation statistics...guys like Woody Hayes (read "Woody's Boys") who had their players come to his office and he'd read to them out of their textbooks if they got behind in their studies.

I don't think that works anymore. Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, etc...they are playing professional football (and other sports). They will be judged accordingly...as will the individual players. Wins and losses...nothing else. Now, look...I understand that a place like Columbus, Ohio, is so invested in OSU football that it isn't going away, but the whole dynamic is going to change. The VERY talented are going to make a lot of money. The VERY large football programs are going to make a lot of money. The less-talented won't get a scholarship; the smaller sports will no longer offer scholarships. The smaller schools' sports teams will fade...club football for the MAC.

Is this "good"? Depends on whose side you're on. I see almost nothing good in it. If I was an "all in" Ohio State football fan (or Alabama, Georgia, etc.), I suppose I might feel differently...but I'm not that guy. I "prefer" Ohio State when they play Michigan...or Georgia...but I'm not rabid about it.

If I was a graduate of Ohio State, doing something successfully with my degree (doctor, lawyer, engineer, vet, scientist), I don't think I'd like all this...
No, they won't, why would they? The players that are going to the MAC now will still be going to the MAC only the 4 star or 5-star recruits are going to get the big NIL deals. OSU and other big-time programs will still play the smaller schools and give them their million-dollar paycheck for doing so.

No, they won't, why would they? The players that are going to the MAC now will still be going to the MAC only the 4 star or 5-star recruits are going to get the big NIL deals. OSU and other big-time programs will still play the smaller schools and give them their million-dollar paycheck for doing so.
Wrong...you won't recognize the landscape in 10 years...

Wrong...you won't recognize the landscape in 10 years...
OK Nostradamus. Once again it is not the schools doling out the money, so how is this going to affect smaller schools. Big schools have dominated the college land scape for the last 60 years or more. Tell me when the last time a MAC school even finished in the top ten of College Football.

I know a couple of players at Akron...they do not get much NIL....where as the players I know at Toledo they get what I would consider a fair amount. I think a bigger issue then NIL down the road for football especially high school football...and I was saying this before what happened in Cinnci....health insurance. Now that I have muddied the waters...lol

I know a couple of players at Akron...they do not get much NIL....where as the players I know at Toledo they get what I would consider a fair amount. I think a bigger issue then NIL down the road for football especially high school football...and I was saying this before what happened in Cinnci....health insurance. Now that I have muddied the waters...lol
You want to give us some ballpark numbers…”not much”? “ fair amount”?

You want to give us some ballpark numbers…”not much”? “ fair amount”?
The two players I know at Akron both said they do not get money...they got sports drinks, sun glasses, shirts. The two at Toledo said they both received money but I didn't ask how much.

The two players I know at Akron both said they do not get money...they got sports drinks, sun glasses, shirts.
In the near future, I think a guy playing at Akron might get the shirt, the sunglasses, the sports drinks…some room and board…and no scholarship. In the world of “you get what you’re worth”…a guy playing at Akron isn’t worth the cost of a bachelor’s degree.

Value, worth…what’s a right guard at Akron, a football program that bleeds money…what’s he worth? In the “brave new world” of NIL, I think you look at Akron and tell them to cut costs…dramatically.

Last edited:
In the near future, I think a guy playing at Akron might get the shirt, the sunglasses, the sports drinks…some room and board…and no scholarship. In the world of “you get what you’re worth”…a guy playing at Akron isn’t worth the cost of a bachelor’s degree.

Value, worth…what’s a right guard at Akron, a football program that bleeds money…what’s he worth? In the “brave new world” of NIL, I think you look at Akron and tell them to cut costs…dramatically.
They bleed money now...I don't know why they haven't went FBS...they cut baseball and other sports to save money...now they are bringing back baseball...are on their third coach now, if I am correct