13 year old female soccer player signs Nike deal

My daughter told me about this. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, 13 years old is awfully young to make such a life altering decision. On the other hand, this does happen in men’s soccer for the truly exceptional (Lionel Messi for instance). However, men’s soccer has the potential to set up someone for life financially if they are truly a phenom; and while the women’s game is exploding, they are still not making that kind of money.

All I can say is good luck....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting situation. I don't think her parents/handlers are doing this kid any favors. Also looks a bit frail to be playing with the big girls yet.

Frail to be playing with the big girls ... because she’s a 13-year old. With the body of a 13-year old. Playing against other girls and women whose bodies have fully developed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frail to be playing with the big girls ... because she’s a 13-year old. With the body of a 13-year old. Playing against other girls and women whose bodies have fully developed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's what I was saying.

No doubt, that this kid has talent.
But Take into consideration she is 13 years old.
Prop her up on a pedestal and the only thing that can happen is she falls from it.
Being 13 years old ,her body is still growing and growth plates are still open.
Playing against women is an issue, as it is not a question of will she get injured it is a question of when and how serious.

Look at two things here:
First Women are not going to be showed up by a 13 year old, which causes aggression against her, which means she will take some serious cheap shots.

Secondly a 13 year old does not think and act like a women, mentally she is not prepared to play at that level.

The handling of this kid is pretty much criminal.
Someone sees dollars signs and is not interested in her well being and should be Slapped.

Bucky:

I agree with you. There are lots of examples of top male players getting into elite academies when they were 12, 13 years old (Messi, Rooney, etc). However, those players were playing and training with and against players in their age groups.

It is possible to have 13 year old females training and playing with older females (15-18) because women tend to reach full height by 12-14 years old. However, that training should be on a limited basis. While they may have reached full height, coordination and muscle development has a ways to go.

The risk of injury for this kid is high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk