100 Greatest Singers of All Time

My list would include:
Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane
Levi Stubbs of the 4 tops
Cory Wells and Chuck Negron of 3 Dog Night
Donnie Joe Brown of Molly Hatchett
It's Danny Joe Brown, but kudos for knowing who he was. MH put on a good show back in the day.

Phillip Wynne of The Spinners is missing; validity quickly dismissed.

Who the heck are Jeff Buckley, David Ruffin, Thom Yorke, and Toots Hibbert?

You know who Philip Wynne is but not David Ruffin?!? Ruffin was the lead tenor voice of the early Temps hits and should be on this list>

Jeff Buckley & Thom Yorke are hipsters. Yorke in particular is only on this list because the Rolling Stone guys think he is cool, not deserving in my book. Buckley was a solid singer and at the top of the critics pyramid in the '90s, He was Tim Buckley's kid who had a career building when he died tragically going for a swim in the Mississippi while recording his follow up to the break through album. His version of Hallelujah is considered the definitive version>

Toots Hibbert was the singer for the ska/reggae group the Toots & the Maytalls. One of the pioneering voices in the development of reggae that predates Bob Marley. You hear more James Brown style R&B in his singing than island breezy, very important and deserves to be on the list>

Last edited:
You know who Philip Wynne is but not David Ruffin?!? Ruffin was the lead tenor voice of the early Temps hits and should be on this list>

I know, I know - I'm a tweener when it comes to the '60's groups - I knew them more by their 1970's material. No, never heard of David Ruffin, but I'd have recognized Levi Stubbs. And the only Temps' tenor vocalist I knew was Eddie Kendricks.

I locked onto Wynne's voice early on, was always captivated by his vocal "soloing" at the end of songs - not only for the notes but the phrases as well.. The man had a knack for it, always interesting and musical, without unnecessary vocal gymastics just to show off.

Definitely not a hipster. Heck, I never heard of Tim Buckley, let alone Jeff. I was familiar with the name Toots and the Maytals, but I thought they had something to do with John Mayal or something. I did know the name Radiohead, but couldn't name one of their songs or hum one of their tunes. Oh well, that's how you learn things.

A big Thanksgiving thank-you to Foster, BlueJayFan, and Auggie for filling in the gaps.