100+ Albums ....

Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed (2013)

My Ratings: 73.056

Best Song: From a Cloudless Sky [75.6]

Blackened Thrash Metal

5th album I've heard from them.....

Clutch - Earth Rocker (2013)

My Ratings: 75.219

Best Song: Gone Cold [78.0]

Stoner Rock

Did not like Clutch the first time hearing them but since they have grown on me..... This is only the 4th album I've heard from them but like it the best so far.....

The Howling Void - The Womb Beyond The World (2012)

My Ratings: 76.140

Best Song: Lightless Depths [78.2]

Symphonic Funeral Doom Metal

Just under an hour and only 4 tracks The Howling Void makes Funeral Doom beautiful. This is the 5th album I heard from them and it ranks 4th mainly because the last track was missing what I like the most about this band.....

Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness (2013)

My Ratings: 76.837

Best Song: Rat Eater [84.6]

Thrash Metal

1st time listening to this band or should I say a 1 man project, Mostly rooted in Thrash with essences of Speed and Black Metal and at times sort of punkish but not really..... must be the old school black metal elements..... anyhow, the first half of this one kicked arse but the 2nd half could not keep up. Definitely be back tracking this band's discography.....

Void of Silence - The Sky Over (2018)

My Ratings: 75.193

Best Song: Abeona [77.0]

Atmospheric Funeral Doom/Dark Ambient

10,000 Years - II (2021)

My Ratings: 71.899

Best Song: Gargantuan Forest [75.0]

Stoner Metal

<new release>

Funeral Pile - Evoked in Flames (2021)

My Ratings: 76.001

Best Song: Evoked in Flames [85.0]

Blackened Death Metal

Debut album that mixes multiple of genres mostly focusing on Black and Death Metal with touches of Thrash. Starts out with two great tracks.

HEAVY METAL FAMILY TREE

Well, I think I might explore this and take a dab of every metal sub genre just for the heck of it..... why not, what else do I have to do.

Lets define Heavy Metal or basically just Metal. Metal is actually a genre of Rock with influences from Blues, Psychedelic, and Acid Rock. Started in the late 60's but really got kicking in the good ole 70's especially with bands from the UK and the good ole USA. Metal is basically LOUD, distortion, angry vocals, and heavy drum beats. Basically.... Rock on roids.... Who were the first Metal bands??? Good question..... maybe not actually the first but Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are typically the ones mentioned. If you want to go back a wee bit more then you got Blue Cheer who arguably came out with the first metal song which was a cover of "Summer Time Blues", Steppenwolf, and Iron Butterfly.

Now the albums I will be choosing to play will be albums I've never heard before and I will start of with a very influential rock/hard rock band....

The Who - A Quick One (1966)

My Ratings: 77.041

Best Song: Boris the Spider [90.0]

Rock

I have no idea why I have not heard this album before.... but anyhow I have heard a bunch of Who albums and this one ranks #2.

Heavy Metal Family Tree - Early US Metal

Blue Cheer - Outsideinside (1968)

My Ratings: 75.513

Best Song: Sun Cycle [79.0]

Hard Rock/Heavy Metal

This album has all 3 Metal influences in it and it is LOUD. In fact, it got so loud when they were recording it they had to go outside to do some of the sections. I have no problem with anyone who wants to call this a metal album.... This was Blue Cheer's 2nd album and to date my favorite so far but I have only heard their first 3.

HEAVY METAL FAMILY TREE

Well, I think I might explore this and take a dab of every metal sub genre just for the heck of it..... why not, what else do I have to do.

Lets define Heavy Metal or basically just Metal. Metal is actually a genre of Rock with influences from Blues, Psychedelic, and Acid Rock. Started in the late 60's but really got kicking in the good ole 70's especially with bands from the UK and the good ole USA. Metal is basically LOUD, distortion, angry vocals, and heavy drum beats. Basically.... Rock on roids.... Who were the first Metal bands??? Good question..... maybe not actually the first but Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are typically the ones mentioned. If you want to go back a wee bit more then you got Blue Cheer who arguably came out with the first metal song which was a cover of "Summer Time Blues", Steppenwolf, and Iron Butterfly.

Now the albums I will be choosing to play will be albums I've never heard before and I will start of with a very influential rock/hard rock band....

Rock

I have no idea why I have not heard this album before.... but anyhow I have heard a bunch of Who albums and this one ranks #2.
Not sure if I consider the Who a Metal influencer band, but I could see how some do. By the way, the song A Quick One is very important not only for the Who but for Rock in general. Townsend has mentioned numerous times that there would be no Tommy if they didn't have a go with this one first. This was the first long form song that was actually made up of small components, the prog guys will go nuts with this song format in the '70s. Famously Mick was ticked off that the Who outperformed them while taping their Rock & Circus and would not allow the below video out until 40+ years later.

HEAVY METAL FAMILY TREE

Rock

Watch "The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus", and you'll see a great live version of "A Quick One", the mini opera.

You'll also see Lennon singing Yer Blues with Clapton on guitar and Keith Richards playing bass.

Last edited:
Not sure if I consider the Who a Metal influencer band, but I could see how some do. By the way, the song A Quick One is very important not only for the Who but for Rock in general. Townsend has mentioned numerous times that there would be no Tommy if they didn't have a go with this one first. This was the first long form song that was actually made up of small components, the prog guys will go nuts with this song format in the '70s. Famously Mick was ticked off that the Who outperformed them while taping their Rock & Circus and would not allow the below video out until 40+ years later.
Didn't see yours before I posted! Ditto.

The biggest debate is whether Led Zeppelin is metal or hard rock. While they have a lot of the components I tend to lean to the hard rock side as I believe Sabbath started off the genre with the dark lyrics/imagery they used and importantly the Iommi "devil" chord being the key developments.

Some other key tracks in my book for the roots of metal>
Cream - Tales of Brave Ulysses: Great metal like lyrical images with a killer wah wah guitar and pounding drums playing over it.
The Beatles - Helter Skelter: Heavy song by the biggest group of the decade, Charles Manson probably took this tune to another level.
Deep Purple - Hush: Shows how the keys can be a metal instrument.
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams: A real heavy sounding song. Some say this predates Sabbath as the 1st Metal Act.
The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog: Another Detroit act, I think it is more punk but the tune is heavy as can be.

The biggest debate is whether Led Zeppelin is metal or hard rock. While they have a lot of the components I tend to lean to the hard rock side as I believe Sabbath started off the genre with the dark lyrics/imagery they used and importantly the Iommi "devil" chord being the key developments.

Some other key tracks in my book for the roots of metal>
Cream - Tales of Brave Ulysses: Great metal like lyrical images with a killer wah wah guitar and pounding drums playing over it.
The Beatles - Helter Skelter: Heavy song by the biggest group of the decade, Charles Manson probably took this tune to another level.
Deep Purple - Hush: Shows how the keys can be a metal instrument.
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams: A real heavy sounding song. Some say this predates Sabbath as the 1st Metal Act.
The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog: Another Detroit act, I think it is more punk but the tune is heavy as can be.

I agree with you on Led Zeppelin. I have always thought of them as hard rock but for some reason they always get mentioned by the experts as one of the first metal bands.....

Metal influences or Pre Metal these are some of the names/bands brought up:
Pre-History of Metal :

Niccolò Paganini; Richard Wagner; Gustav Holst; Howlin’ Wolf; Robert Johnson; Buddy Rich; Elvis Presley; Little Richard; The Beatles; The Kinks; The Who; Cream; Jimi Hendrix

Since I had already heard the early stuff from The Kinks, Cream, and all of the Beatles and Hendrix it really just left The Who's album I had not listened to yet as the one I used.....

I had always considered Sabbath as the first true metal band but I would not be against anyone stating Blue Cheer (though I really believe them to be more Hard Rock).

Hard Rock vs Heavy Metal .... what is the difference? Lets see what some of the experts are stating....

-Hard Rock is chord based for the most part and is blues influenced..... sounds bluesy..... Pentatonic scale.
-Heavy Metal is more aggressive/faster sounds has more classical influence using minor harmonic scales. More distorted, Double kick drumming and more emphasis on bass notes than Hard Rock. Lyrics are much darker.

I agree with you on Led Zeppelin. I have always thought of them as hard rock but for some reason they always get mentioned by the experts as one of the first metal bands.....

Metal influences or Pre Metal these are some of the names/bands brought up:
Pre-History of Metal :

Niccolò Paganini; Richard Wagner; Gustav Holst; Howlin’ Wolf; Robert Johnson; Buddy Rich; Elvis Presley; Little Richard; The Beatles; The Kinks; The Who; Cream; Jimi Hendrix

Since I had already heard the early stuff from The Kinks, Cream, and all of the Beatles and Hendrix it really just left The Who's album I had not listened to yet as the one I used.....

I had always considered Sabbath as the first true metal band but I would not be against anyone stating Blue Cheer (though I really believe them to be more Hard Rock).
This guy is considered the 2nd guitar God after Django Reinhardt and the father of the modern rock guitar sound>

Link Wray was the 1st guitar player to use distortion and many think this tune is the first kernel of a heavy metal guitar sound.

Heavy Metal Family Tree - Early UK Metal

Budgie - Squawk

My Ratings: 76.002

Best Song: Hot as a Dockers Armpit [77.6]

Heavy Metal

I'm very familiar with Budgie and this was their 2nd album and the 6th one I have heard and frankly I like this one the best so far. Usually there are a couple of tracks I don't care for on each of their albums but this one was the exception as I liked it all!!!!

Because of this dive into the roots of metal I decided to try a couple new different genres a listen. One of interest was Euro Metal so I gave Rammstein a spin. Interesting stuff and the stage show from the live shows was fantastic but not sure I will keep it on any play list. One thing stood out is that this was a very "German" band. Not only did they sound like a metal version of a Wagner opus but they looked the part, something about German dudes and that authoritarian vibe.

Because of this dive into the roots of metal I decided to try a couple new different genres a listen. One of interest was Euro Metal so I gave Rammstein a spin. Interesting stuff and the stage show from the live shows was fantastic but not sure I will keep it on any play list. One thing stood out is that this was a very "German" band. Not only did they sound like a metal version of a Wagner opus but they looked the part, something about German dudes and that authoritarian vibe.

I found a list of all the Metal sub-genres and I will attempt to listen to a band/album of each one of them. This could get interesting......

Next for me is an 80's Prog Metal album (thinking Queensryche or Dream Theater) and an early Power Metal band/album. I was talking to my best friend last night about Power Metal as I mostly stayed away from it and I told him that I could not believe that they consider Iron Maiden as a Power Metal band...... he said "what is your definition of Power Metal"... so I told him and he said "Sounds like Iron Maiden to me" Nope, I will never consider them Power Metal..... This metal genre thing will get interesting....

<new release>

Killing - Face the Madness (2021)

My Ratings: 77.423

Best Song: See You In H'LL [79.0]

Thrash Metal

Debut album. This sounded old school and really good. Added 4 songs off this album to my playlist!!!!!

Heavy Metal Family Tree - Power Metal

I have my own definition of what Power Metal is but lets see what the experts say....
--- Power Metal combines traditional Heavy Metal with Speed Metal
--- Often within a symphonic context (I would say it gives it an "epic" sound)
--- Focused on clean wide range vocals mostly in tenor and capable of hitting very high notes
--- Lyrics are typically about fantasy story telling
--- Power Metal is usually upbeat

Iron Maiden/Judas Priest..... though not Power Metal bands many would consider them pioneers of the genre. Helloween is one of the top early power metal bands with most saying that "Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1 and 2" is a perfect example of true Power Metal. I have not heard part 2 so that is the one I listened too.

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2 (1988)

My Ratings: 72.080

Best Song: I Want You [79.0]

Power Metal

I am not a fan of Power Metal but I did like two songs (You Always Walk Alone) on this one well enough to add to my playlist. I do see though why this one is at or near the top of Power Metal albums. This is the 3rd album (Walls of Jericho, Part 1) I have heard from Helloween and I liked better than the other two. I actually did see Helloween in concert early on in their career at Newport Music Hall in Columbus and they did put on a good show!!!!

Heavy Metal Family Tree - Progressive Metal

Progressive Metal is the fusion of Heavy Metal with Progressive Rock. When I think of Prog Rock the first few bands I think of are Yes, Genesis, and Rush. So what is Progressive or Prog. To me, meter changes is the first thing that comes to mind as well as the Bass guitar having a life of its own. Complexity.... how do the experts define it...

... Extreme technical proficiency
... Unorthodox Harmonies
... Frequent Meter Changes
... Often incorporate Jazz, Classical, and Middle Eastern influences in sections between riffing and solo's

Prog Metal has very wide range with some of my favorite bands being of this genre in Tool, Gojira, and the later Opeth albums. Queensryche, Fates Warning, and Dream Theater are a few of the early Prog Metal bands. Though around in the late 80's the 90's is when Prog Metal started to take off..... Lot of other genres of Metal incorporated Prog as well.

Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite (1989)

My Ratings: 76.630

Best Song: The Ytse Jam [87.0]

Progressive Metal

In the 80's and 90's I was not a fan of Prog Metal but as I got older I started to really appreciate it. This was Dream Theater's debut album and the only one with Charlie Dominici at vocals. The critics did not care for him nor did they care for the production values but for me I like this one so much better than the other few I have heard. 3 great tracks head to my playlist and overall a pretty decent album despite not liking the last two songs..... I will likely check out more Dream Theater in the future.

Heavy Metal Family Tree - Thrash Metal

How great it was to be around for the start of this genre and seeing all those early thrash bands in person. The big 4 was Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. Thrash is born from Speed Metal and Hardcore Punk. What is thrash.....

--- Fast tempo's
--- low register guitar riffs with high register solo's
--- Heavy distorted guitar rhythms often palm muted
--- double bass drumming
--- Lyrics tend to be anti establishment, political, and environmental ... early thrash typically had "sing along" choruses.

example of early Thrash Metal

I've heard a crap load of early Thrash Metal albums but I did actually find one that I have not heard and that is American Way by Sacred Reich

Last edited:
Thrash Metal

Sacred Reich - The American Way (1990)

My Ratings: 74.480

Best Song: The American Way [87.0]

Thrash Metal

This was a pretty decent thrash album though I did not care for the last track where they went into a different direction. Had all the early thrash traits with it and the title track was amazing. Two songs make it to my playlist and I will be checking out more Sacred Reich in the future.

Heavy Metal Family Tree - Speed Metal

Speed metal is basically Heavy Metal (more specifically the New Wave of British Heavy Metal.... you know like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden) with a faster tempo with melodic vocals but the problem I have with this genre is it bleeds too much into Power and Thrash metal. Is all Power and Thrash metal bands also Speed Metal bands???? I honestly don't want to get into it because those who really care will debate what is Speed, Thrash, and Power metal t'll they die. Some would say that Deep Purple's "Highway Star" was the first speed metal song.... well, that is fine but Deep Purple is not a Speed Metal band.... Does one truly exist? Sure, some do but when I was looking at lists for top Speed Metal bands they are flooded by Thrash and Power Metal bands. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax are Thrash Metal bands PERIOD. I have no problem having Speed Metal as a "father" like genre for Thrash, Power, and even early Black Metal bands..... well, for me... enough of this.....

example of a speed metal song:

Speed Metal

Cranium - Speed Metal Slaughter (1998)

My Ratings: 64.042

Best Song: Satanic Holiday [66.0]

Speed Metal

I did not care very much for this one but at least it was a true speed metal album so that's that. The vocals were just not to my liking at all and then there was some chainsaw or drilling noises that were added on a bunch of the tracks that did not sound good to my ears.....

Watched AXS the other evening and they had on a bio doc about Jimi Hendrix, when speaking about his influences on Rock music Bill Ward spoke about how Sabbath's primary influence was Jimi Hendrix. He even called out that War Pigs was basically a rip off of this>

Watched AXS the other evening and they had on a bio doc about Jimi Hendrix, when speaking about his influences on Rock music Bill Ward spoke about how Sabbath's primary influence was Jimi Hendrix. He even called out that War Pigs was basically a rip off of this>

lol..... Ward would know wouldn't he.

Heavy Metal Family Tree - Death Metal

Actually, my favorite band in the 80's was the first death metal band in Possessed. Some will debate that Death was but nope..... it was Possessed.

Lets see what Death Metal is.

--- Fast, low tuned heavy distorted guitars played with palm muting and tremolo picking.
--- Powerful and aggressive drum playing.
--- Abrupt tempo, key, and time signature changes/Chromatic chord progressions
--- Vocals are typically sung in a "death growl" and lyrics pertained to extreme horror violence, satanism/anti christian/occultism, Theology

example of early death metal

Death Metal

Obituary - The End Complete (1992)

My Ratings: 76.557

Best Track: I'm in Pain [79.6]

Death Metal

One of the early Death Metal bands this was Obituary's 3rd album. Liked all the tracks with 5 of the 9 heading to my playlist. Liked this one the best from them just ahead of their debut album. I believe Obituary is still around.