#10 tOSU vs #3 PSU

Its time for OSU to pull the rug 9n decauter and rocky jordon, these two are just terrible Decatur quit on the mat against penn st..from jotdon up, OSU is terrible

No team wrestles harder than the junk yard dog at Iowa. Decauter would of been a contender with his talent

No. 3 Penn State 28, No. 9 Ohio State 12
125 — No. 8 Malik Heinselman def. No. 18 Robert Howard (PSU) | D, 5-2; Team Score 3-0
133 — No. 3 Roman Bravo-Young (PSU) def. No. 24 Jordan Decatur | TF 27-8 (3:37); TS 3-5
141 — No. 2 Nick Lee (PSU) def. No. 26 Dylan D’Emilio | MD, 15-3; TS 3-9
149 — No. 2 Sammy Sasso def. Beau Bartlett (PSU) | D, 5-3; TS 6-9
157 — No. 9 Brady Berge (PSU) def. No. 26 Elijah Cleary | D, 3-1; TS 6-12
165 — No. 7 Ethan Smith def. No. 13 Joe Lee (PSU) | PIN 2:33; TS 12-12
174 — No. 7 Carter Starocci (PSU) def. No. 2 Kaleb Romero | TB-1, 2-1; TS 12-15
184 — No. 2 Aaron Brooks (PSU) def. No. 17 Rocky Jordan | MD, 13-4; TS 12-19
197 — No. 17 Michael Beard (PSU) def. No. 25 Gavin Hoffman | PIN 1:21; TS 12-25
HWT — No. 13 Seth Nevills (PSU) def. No. 9 Tate Orndorff | D, 3-2; TS 12-28

Every match is an opportunity to surprise and impress. This is just getting good!!!
Yes, us OSU fans are used to seeing a run for a Big10 & National titles. But I remember way back when OSU had just a couple of chances to get an All-American out of a season.
This year, we have 4 or 5 chances to get that, and maybe a couple could end up on top.
It’s called “being the UNDERDOG!!!” And it’s awesome!!!
You can’t have it all, all the time. No one does.
B7E518DF-E4BB-4232-92D7-EADED1DF87D6.gif

Last edited:
Actually, the only surprise for me was Romero losing. And I shouldn't have been too surprised since Starocci just beat Massa. Romero is still a top 4 guy IMO, and likely wasn't 100% but was close (he wasn't limping like he was vs Kemmerer). Other thoughts:
125 I really feel good about Malik. He again has shown that he is in the mix for a high podium spot and a 2 or 3 in B10s. The problem is that Howard looked pretty good, too. He joins a crowded field of B10 125s trying to be 2nd best in the conference as well as NCAAs. 8 B10 125'ers are ranked 7-15, and I'm not sure any of the guys ahead of them are any better, except of course Lee. This will be a fun weight to watch in B10s and NCAAs.
134 Enough said.
141 Not ready for big time.
149 Sammy is really good, as we all know, but BB from PSU isn't bad either. And he's really a 141 who can't beat Nick Lee.
157 In 2018 Micah Jordan became the first AA at this weight for tOSU since Keaton Anderson in 2003. Hopefully, we're not at the beginning of another stretch, but I don't see anyone in the room or recent recruit who has AA written on them.
165 Smith is really good, but this was a close match before his pin. I think he AAs and then Ryan has to figure out how to keep him in the lineup when Kharch gets back next year. Maybe Romero and Smith could bump up. Sucking Smith to 157 would add another emaciated Decatur or Singletary to the lineup.
174 See above.
184 Enough said.
197 Enough said.
285 I had hopes for Orndorff to be a mid-level AA. Those hopes were dashed prior to last night, but were reinforced.

And I can't wait for B10s. It's gonna be a great tourny w/ some loaded weights and some great battles.

Last edited:
Does Paddy step in and start right away? I believe he beats Cleary out next season unless they have him redshirt first season
No one's fighting for an NCAA title next year except for IOWA (assuming they bring everyone back). So, I'd RS him. But Ryan never listens to me.

Just think Ryan went out and recruited that stiff Orndorff to OSU. What he should have done is left GTG at HWY, recruited a top 10 high school HWY to back up GTG for a year or 2 and then go from there, and with this free year given to the wrestlers no way does GTG come back to OSU

Orndorff's brother (Tanner) was finished at UVU and Tate wanted to leave. He entered the transfer portal early and got picked up.
I don't believe Ryan went after him.. It's not like he had to "sell" wrestling at OSU to Ordorff.

We will never know about GTG. He filled in like a champ for OSU last season and was a fan favorite. But, he's also thirty pounds heavier than last year and if you've seen him wrestle this year, you know he's not the same wrestler. He traded his gas tank for a spare tire.

Malik has been great in my opinion. Troubles at 33 and 41. Important distinction to be made here, OSU didn't go to the Decaturs, the Decaturs went to OSU. I believe they had their shot, but not sure who is behind them?
Ech and D'Emilio, It may not even matter at this point. Both are overmatched so far. I'd love to see D'Emilio finish out the season.
Sasso has been great. Another hole at 57 and there is no way Smith can get there next season if Karchla wrestles at 65.
Romero has been better every season and I expect that to continue. There is no one behind Jordan, It's his weight unless Gavin Bell or Steiner starts beating him in the room.
97 Hoffman and Singletary both huge recruits who had a great seasons last year and their RS seasons. Singletary hasn't been the same since his injury last year and Hoffman wrestled every where from 84 to HVY last season. 97 is just too small for Singletary, he was the number one ranked 220 as a HS senior in 2016. He won everything. But he's an "in-betweener." I fear the same for incoming Shumate. To big for 97 and to small for HVY. Orndorff is the best we have. GTG was great last season. He made a bunch of fans.

I believe OSU is just in one of those transitional years. It happens to the best teams. Happened to Iowa. Happened to PSU in the last five years or so. 6-3 in duals, 5th in the B1G and 6th at the NCAA tourney. If OSU isn't better the next couple years the bitching about Ryan may be warranted, but at this point it just seems speculative.
Just my thoughts. If I knew anything I'd be rich.

P.S. Some of you never lived in the, 'lean years' of OSU wrestling and it shows. :censored:

Sasso has been great. Another hole at 57 and there is no way Smith can get there next season if Karchla wrestles at 65.
Romero has been better every season and I expect that to continue. There is no one behind Jordan, It's his weight unless Gavin Bell or Steiner starts beating him in the room.
Smith wrestled 184 as a RS, then dropped to 174 as a RS FR and was R16 in NCAAs. Last year he dropped again to 165 and was seeded 12th at NCAAs. I agree that he's not going any lower, but I think he could easily bump back to 174 when Kharch returns and be successful. The question is, could Romero be effective at 184. If so, that trades us up to Kharch-Smith-Romero instead of Kharch/Smith-Romero-Rocky in the lineup and fills a hole.

Smith wrestled 184 as a RS, then dropped to 174 as a RS FR and was R16 in NCAAs. Last year he dropped again to 165 and was seeded 12th at NCAAs. I agree that he's not going any lower, but I think he could easily bump back to 174 when Kharch returns and be successful. The question is, could Romero be effective at 184. If so, that trades us up to Kharch-Smith-Romero instead of Kharch/Smith-Romero-Rocky in the lineup and fills a hole.

I'm happy and satisfied with Romero at 74. With that said, I'm not sure what his weigh in routine is and the kid is pretty damn lean here.
Karchla at 65 is a foregone conclusion. The only way Jordan isn't in the line up is if Romero goes up. There just isn't anyone else.
I like your first line up. GO BUCKS!

With Kharch back 157-184 could be Paddy, Kharch, Smith, Romero. That's pretty solid.
Paddy is gonna take some lumps, but I'd still like to see him wrestling. Then again, pull a PSU 2015 and RS all of those you mentioned plus Shumate and Malik.
Turn those boys loose in 2023 and go for it. OSU and OKST for a title. ☠

Paddy is gonna take some lumps, but I'd still like to see him wrestling. Then again, pull a PSU 2015 and RS all of those you mentioned plus Shumate and Malik.
Turn those boys loose in 2023 and go for it. OSU and OKST for a title. ☠
I like it. But Ryan doesn't seem to go that way. He seems to put the best on the mat and only RS those who can't make the lineup.

I like it. But Ryan doesn't seem to go that way. He seems to put the best on the mat and only RS those who can't make the lineup.
I hear ya. Shumate is a class of 22 kid anyway, so my scenario doesn't work with him. ?‍♂️

I hear ya. Shumate is a class of 22 kid anyway, so my scenario doesn't work with him. ?‍♂️
We know we aren't winning in 2021 or 2022 (IOWA likely brings back everyone). Then in 2023 we roll this one out:
125 Malik
133 Decatur?
141 D'E/Ech
149 Sasso
157 Paddy
165 Kharch
174 Smith
184 Romero
197 Schumate (#7 overall recruit 2022)
285 Feldman (#5 overall recruit 2022)

We know we aren't winning in 2021 or 2022 (IOWA likely brings back everyone). Then in 2023 we roll this one out:

2023 it is. I didn't want to start two frosh at 97 and 285, but it's what we have to do. I just keep hoping we're gonna improve at 33 and 41. If Decaturs, D'Emilio and Ech stick around till 2023 and quit growing we may have something.
Until then...GO BUCKS!

2023 it is. I didn't want to start two frosh at 97 and 285, but it's what we have to do. I just keep hoping we're gonna improve at 33 and 41. If Decaturs, D'Emilio and Ech stick around till 2023 and quit growing we may have something.
Until then...GO BUCKS!
I think Ech has the most upside of those three.

If I recall correctly, didnt Andre say he was walking around at 135ish in the offseason. Think that interview was last summer. You would think by 2023 he "should" be walking around at 145+ in the offseasons.
I'm pretty certain he's projected (or was) as a 125.

its about how hard they wrestle every minute. Decatur wouldnt be laying with his head buried in the mat
I’m guessing “no team wrestles harder” includes PSU?
Iowa is really good this year, but let’s not forget which team has dominated the past decade. And no, I’m not a PSU fan!

Last edited: