#10 tOSU vs #3 PSU

bdhof

Here's the probables for Friday night:

125 lbs (#8) Malik Heinselman (6-1) vs (#18) Robert Howard (1-0)
133 lbs (#24) Jordan Decatur (6-3) (#3) Roman Bravo-Young (4-0)
141 lbs (#26) Dylan D’Emilio (4-3) -OR- Anthony Echemendia (4-1) vs (#2) Nick Lee (4-0)
149 lbs (#2) Sammy Sasso (8-0) vs Terrell Barraclough (2-2) -OR- (#20) Jarod Verkleeren (0-2) -OR- Luke Gardner (3-1)
157 lbs (#26) Elijah Cleary (4-5) vs (#9) Brady Berge (4-0)
165 lbs (#8) Ethan Smith (7-1) vs (#13) Joe Lee (3-1)
174 lbs (#2) Kaleb Romero (5-1) -OR- Fritz Schierl (1-4) vs (#7) Carter Starocci (4-1)
184 lbs (#17) Rocky Jordan (4-4) vs (#2) Aaron Brooks (4-0)
197 lbs (#25) Gavin Hoffman (4-4) -OR- Chase Singletary (4-1) vs(#17) Michael Beard (1-1)
HWT (#9) Tate Orndorff (4-4) vs (#13) Seth Nevills (3-1)

Last edited:

This actually could be a very competitive dual, one that might go either way. The rankings are per Trackwrestling, and have ranked matches in all 10 weights, depending on the "ORs." Here's my take:
125 Could go either way, but I think Malik wins this one.
133 All RBY.
141 All Lee regardless of who takes the mat for tOSU.
149 Sasso could bonus any of the 3 ORS other than Verk, who gives up (and gets) very few points.
157 I have to give the edge to Berge, but wouldn't be shocked w/ a Cleary win.
165 Smith wins this one, but it'll be close.
174 If Romero goes he should win, assuming he's healthy. If not then Starocci. And I'd guess that Ryan won't wrestle Smith if he's not healthy.
184 Brooks by a bundle.
197 Could be close, but I'm going w/ Beard. And Hoffman takes the mat for tOSU.
285 A total tossup. TW has Orndorff higher ranked here, but IM has Nevills ranked higher.

It's probably a stretch for a tOSU win. They'll probably need 6 wins b/c we're giving up bonus pts at 133, 141, and probably 184. tOSU would need to win 125, 149 (maybe w/ bonus), 165, 174 (w/ a healthy Romero), & 285, and pull an upset at either 157 or 197. It's unlikely that tOSU would sweep the tossups, and pick up an upset to boot. Things could also get ugly if PSU wins some or all of these tossups.

I doubt Echemendia is an OR as he's posted numerous things of him being in Arizona today getting his green card. Congrats to him on gaining citizenship

No surprises thus far. Buckeye shaky spots staying that way. JD gassed in 2nd period if not sooner, and appears to give little effort. DD not yet ready for prime time. Cleary just can’t get over the hump. Good work from Malik and Sammy.

Well this was a tough one to watch. Beau Bartlett though. I am still pulling for Cleary to get it together. He is right there and just needs that attack mentality

Where do we start with this team, or should we say program that seems to the trend over the last few years (by design or accident)?

Are we loaded with “blue chip” talent to some extent? Absolutely.

Has it been developed in some areas? Yes.

Has it been developed to the best it can be to keep up with Penn State and Iowa? No.

125: Malik: Has been developed after 2 years of taking his lumps,..looks to be a Friday night guy hopefully.

133: Decatur: Why he didn’t redshirt is beyond me... confidence and conditioning level look suspect. Someone please help!!?? Are we recruiting someone else? His head does not look to be in the game mentally when he is losing.

141: Anthony and Demilio: I am not sure if either will be developed by next year . Really puzzling to see Anthony having a good time on social media on match day all the way across the country while his teammates are preparing for Penn State...sometimes I wonder if his head is in the game, or if he just loves attention.

149: Sasso: He just wins...Gritty, and tough as nails. We could Use 10 of him!

157; Cleary: seems to be content to just keep it close...

165: Smith: Kid is all heart and earns everything he gets! Have to root for him!

174. Romero: Has made huge strides this season , missed 2 opportunities to beat Penn State opponent in OT (once on a winning takedown, another on the bottom as Ohio State seems to always struggle
In that position).

184: Rocky: Stands still on his feet, struggling on the bottom... recipe for a long season.

197: Hoffman: Big time recruit who has not made the jump , similar to Decatur story.

HVY: Orndorff: One trick pony... can’t shoot, won’t shoot. Score one takedown against him and you win. How can you ever want this guy to be your bookend in the lineup for the next few years? Please get some offense on your feet!

This is a very frustrating team to watch besides Heinselman, Sasso and Smith in my opinion.

Last edited:
Just think Ryan went out and recruited that stiff Orndorff to OSU. What he should have done is left GTG at HWY, recruited a top 10 high school HWY to back up GTG for a year or 2 and then go from there, and with this free year given to the wrestlers no way does GTG come back to OSU

Well I hope you’re not a betting man
Glad I didn't put any odds on it for the yappi nation... I was glad to see them all suit up. OSU has to be regretting 174. And I have no clue why Traubb hasn't made the starting lineup at this point.

Just think Ryan went out and recruited that stiff Orndorff to OSU. What he should have done is left GTG at HWY, recruited a top 10 high school HWY to back up GTG for a year or 2 and then go from there, and with this free year given to the wrestlers no way does GTG come back to OSU

sad thing is GTG looks way out of shape this season. Last seasons version of GTG rolls Orndorff.

T
Ohio state wrestling as a power is over.

This is a down year for the buckeyes and still a top 10 team. One of the worst teams in the Tom Ryan era yet would be one of the best of the Hellickson era. We are disappointed because our expectations are now to compete for national titles. I trust Tom and every buckeye fan should.

141: Anthony and Demilio: I am not sure if either will be developed by next year . Really puzzling to see Anthony having a good time on social media on match day all the way across the country while his teammates are preparing for Penn State...sometimes I wonder if his head is in the game, or if he just loves attention.

Anthony just got his green card yesterday. That'll probably end up paying off more than anything he's done on a mat.

While, I'm a Penn State and Illinois guy at heart when it comes to the Big 10... this is still a fairly young group with a lot of talent... I don't think there is a senior in the lineup.