1 or 2 Divisions?

Either

Model 1:
64 State Qualifiers
One Division
64 in a Bracket
16 State Placers
More opportunities for kids to go to State.
It would fix the True 4th problem at District.
It would make Sectionals Bigger and Better.
Same Columbus atmosphere.

or

Model 2:
64 State Qualifiers
Two Divisions
32 in a Bracket
16 State Placers
More opportunities for kids to go to State.
It would fix the True 4th problem at District.
It would make Sectionals Bigger and Better.
Same Columbus atmosphere.

Both models would allow for 64 State Qualifiers compared to the current 48.

Currently only 16 in a State Bracket is a small elite group. 5th and 6th place kids in some divisions could be better than 4th in another. This year examples: Braden Brown and Bryce Maynard and more. Both can defeat D2 and D1 State placers.

so there are a lot of advantages to either model.

This opens up opportunities for kids at smaller schools to be seen and recognized.

It puts kids at an equal eye level for college coaches.

It creates dream matchups.

Last edited:

Going to have a make a new screen name for that. I will not accept this retreat from your initial stance - and screen name. You can't charge the hill, imploring all others to come with you, and once things don't go as planned, pack up and quit. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

You went all-in on one division. Even made a poll for it. (Interestingly enough, the "winner" of the poll was 3 divisions.) As the man Tom Petty once told me...well, he told me two things... 1) Never name drop. Nobody likes it. And 2) Don't back down because I won't back down.

The only change needed is at the sectional level.

Either two sectionals (place 8), or 3 sectionals (place 6, run 2 pigrails at districts.

The district tournaments are full, competitive, and high quality from my experience in d2 and d3. Sectionals are terrible right now.

I am confused. Why would you want to drop the Divisions to 2? Football has 7 Divisions, most sports in Ohio have 4 Divisions as is. In the OHSAA Bylaws it clearly stats the amount of teams needed for a certain amount of Divisions. Why take opportunities away from kids that work hard. We have many national events and in season events where we we have D1 kids competing with D2 or D3. If you need to see who the best kids are then the events all over the county have plenty of that.

The one change I would make, would be instead of splitting the Division into 33 1/3 percent of the teams per Division. I would use enrollment as this for wrestling
D1- TOP 25 Percent of enrollment
D2- Next 35 Percent of enrollment
D3- Lowest 40 Percent of enrollment

This at least moves a few teams down a division and spreads out the competition a little better. This would help spread out the numbers, were the bigger schools who typically have more wrestlers competing per school. Where in D3 you have a lot of teams with smaller rosters.

Sometimes you have to compromise.

Reach for the stars and settle with the Moon!

thanks

I'm not sure where you think that you are. You are not compromising with anyone here because these types of decisions are not made here. Do you think this is the first time this topic has come up here?

I'm not sure where you think that you are. You are not compromising with anyone here because these types of decisions are not made here. Do you think this is the first time this topic has come up here?

Oh really??? I thought Yappi was the place official OHSAA decisions are made. ? LOL.

I thought we could just talk about stuff and magic happens.

And I will take your stupid advice and never bring up a topic that has been discussed before.

Oh really??? I thought Yappi was the place official OHSAA decisions are made. ? LOL.

I thought we could just talk about stuff and magic happens.

And I will take your stupid advice and never bring up a topic that has been discussed before.

Right, so who exactly are you compromising with again?

And you can bring up as many worthless topics as you want. Heck, you can even dedicate a user name to them. If beating dead horses is your thing, who am I to judge?

Last edited:
1. Everyone is entitled to having an opinion and shouldn’t be personally attacked for it.

2. this is a chat room. Everything on here is opinion

3. Debate is good. Analyzing pros and cons is a sign of intelligence.

And yes, people are allowed to change their minds after gauging others views.

Compromise and Settlements and finding Middle-Ground are all signs of progress.

Sticking to your original beliefs without listening is just stubbornness.

I am confused. Why would you want to drop the Divisions to 2? Football has 7 Divisions, most sports in Ohio have 4 Divisions as is. In the OHSAA Bylaws it clearly stats the amount of teams needed for a certain amount of Divisions. Why take opportunities away from kids that work hard. We have many national events and in season events where we we have D1 kids competing with D2 or D3. If you need to see who the best kids are then the events all over the county have plenty of that.

The one change I would make, would be instead of splitting the Division into 33 1/3 percent of the teams per Division. I would use enrollment as this for wrestling

This at least moves a few teams down a division and spreads out the competition a little better. This would help spread out the numbers, were the bigger schools who typically have more wrestlers competing per school. Where in D3 you have a lot of teams with smaller rosters.
I can get behind this idea. The small Division 1 schools are the ones with the most legit complaint.

Just a shame how weak sectionals are now... When I was in high school I had two state placers in my sectional freshman year, and 3 state placers my soph. and jr. years...

Right, so who exactly are you compromising with again?

And you can bring up as many worthless topics as you want. Heck, you can even dedicate a user name to them. If beating dead horses is your thing, who am I to judge?

Don’t participate in the discussion if you are annoyed by it.
You are free to leave.

Just a shame how weak sectionals are now... When I was in high school I had two state placers in my sectional freshman year, and 3 state placers my soph. and jr. years...

Some Sectional Brackets only have Four Kids. Show up and you qualify for District.

2 Divisions like it used to be , After the States the Big School Champs division 1 wrestles the Division 2 State Champs and in return scrap the State Duals which we all know are going to be Won by St Ed's and ST Paris 99% of the time .

Well, by golly! It appears you already retreated from "ONE DIVISION" and all of your arguments and went for TWO DIVISIONS!

What is the next step in this evolutionary path you are on? Could it be - THREE DIVISIONS!?

Maybe take a poll and find out what the Yappi wrestling community thinks.

Well, by golly! It appears you already retreated from "ONE DIVISION" and all of your arguments and went for TWO DIVISIONS!

What is the next step in this evolutionary path you are on? Could it be - THREE DIVISIONS!?

Maybe take a poll and find out what the Yappi wrestling community thinks.
C'mon Bro...quit goading him on.

Dear Cruiser_96

you are just repeating your rant from above. You already called me out for finding Middle-Ground like all smart negotiators do.
Stubborn people stick to their beliefs and don’t listen to others or engage in ongoing dialogue.

To Clarify my stance:

Model One:
I prefer 32 or 64 at State with One Division.

Model Two:
I would be ok with 32 at State with Two Divisions. More people prefer that scenario and it is more similar to the Greatest wrestling state of PA.

several people, including you Cruiser, would wish for some dream matchups between divisions. Combining divisions would allow for that.
A lot of people chimed in on the thread “regardless of division”.

Both models would allow for 64 State Qualifiers compared to the current 48.

This fixes several problems:

This opens up opportunities for kids at smaller schools to be seen and recognized.

it fixes the true 4th issue at District.

it fixes the weak Sectional problem.

It puts kids at an equal eye level for college coaches.

It creates dream matchups.

64 qualifiers means less quality kids get slighted

64 qualifiers means more have a chance

64 qualifiers gives more kids hope of making it to State

Currently only 16 in a State Bracket is a small elite group. 5th and 6th place kids in some divisions could be better than 4th in another. This year examples: Braden Brown and Bryce Maynard and more. Both can defeat D2 and D1 State placers.

so there are a lot of advantages to either model.

Be open minded and don’t slam my opinion. This is a sports discussion group.

which Model do you all prefer?
Model One?
Or
Model Two?

The idea of three divisions for the state duels makes sense, however, for the individual state titles, one division would be the way to truly decide who is the state champion. Wrestling is essentially an individual sport for the state tourney except for a few schools that always seem to compete for the top spots. Since it is an individual sport, what advantages does a wrestler at a larger enrollment school have over a smaller enrollment school on the mat? It is a one-on-one competition to see who is the victor. This is one reason that the Ironman, Beast of the East, and Powerade are so prestigious.....there is one division and it doesn't matter what size school that the athlete attends.

Absolutely ?

Dear Cruiser_96
you are just repeating your rant from above. You already called me out for finding Middle-Ground like all smart negotiators do.
Stubborn people stick to their beliefs and don’t listen to others or engage in ongoing dialogue.

Are you discussing or negotiating? Or just bloviating?

The goal of a conversation (discussion) is NOT to make your point. For, that is a lecture. Nor is the goal to question a person. That is an interrogation. If you'd like to have a discussion, I'm fine with that. But so far, you have not - in any way, shape or form - conducted in any such way.

several people, including you Cruiser, would wish for some dream matchups between divisions. Combining divisions would allow for that.
A lot of people chimed in on the thread “regardless of division”.

Don't tell me what I wish for. This is analogous to telling what others are thinking - which is impossible to do. If you'd like to know my thoughts about "dream match-ups", you are free to ask such a quesiton.

which Model do you all prefer?
Model One?
Or
Model Two?

Neither. What you have provided is a false dilemma. There are other options. One such alternative for what you have presented is the following: state tournament consisting of a 16-man bracket with full consolation wrestling over three divisions based on school enrollment, placing the top 8 in each of the 14 weight classes.

Oh, and please be open minded and don’t slam my opinion. This is a sports discussion group. ;-)

#ZeroHate
#MuchLove

Last edited:
This is just nonsense. Is your motive to try and make it to where less kids wrestle, that's what this would do. So what if D3 is a little watered down, there's still very good national level kids there also. However some kids that may not be on the level of D2 and D1 kids at the smaller schools may not wrestle at all with a reduced possibility of making a state tournament. Why not leave things the way they are and try to get more involved instead of trying to reduce.

This is just nonsense. Is your motive to try and make it to where less kids wrestle, that's what this would do. So what if D3 is a little watered down, there's still very good national level kids there also. However some kids that may not be on the level of D2 and D1 kids at the smaller schools may not wrestle at all with a reduced possibility of making a state tournament. Why not leave things the way they are and try to get more involved instead of trying to reduce.

You missed the whole point.
64 State Qualifiers instead of 48.

This creates a Higher possibility of making it to State.